Holder resigns for shot in Grovetown

Greenbrier baseball coach Rodney Holder said he will resign at the end of the season for a chance to become head football coach and athletic director at Grovetown High School, which will open in 2009.

Holder will remain on staff as Greenbrier's offensive coordinator for the upcoming football season.

"Based on a possibility, is all it is," Holder said Thursday of his decision.

Holder said former Richmond Academy coach Chris Wilkins will be the Wolfpack's next baseball coach, pending approval by the Columbia County Board of Education. But Wilkins said he had not yet been told anything for certain.

He was on hand Thursday when Greenbrier athletic director Garrett Black gave parents and players the summer workout schedule and informed them that Holder would not be back.

"It was news to me that Rodney's stepping down," Wilkins said. "I'm just excited to be a part of the program."

Black said he had a "good idea" of the direction the search would head, and said he would like someone in place before summer workouts.

Black contacted Wilkins around the beginning of March. The Musketeers coach told his players after their 10-0 loss to the Wolfpack on March 18 he'd be leaving for Greenbrier.

Greenbrier assistant principal Penny Jackson, who will be Grovetown's first principal, will lead the search for the school's athletic director. Holder said he talked with Jackson and plans to apply.

Holder is in his second season at Greenbrier. The Wolfpack won the 2007 Class AAAA state championship under Holder and begin a run at a third consecutive title today at home against Americus-Sumter.

Holder arrived at Greenbrier in 1999, serving as an assistant baseball coach under Ed Williams from 2000-2004.

Holder said he realizes he's taking a chance with his decision.

"If it didn't work out and I had to come back and teach, that's not so bad," he said. "I've just always wanted to be a head football coach."

Reach Stephen Fastenau at (706) 863-6165 ext. 116 or stephen.fastenau@augustachronicle.com.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/09/08 - 03:50 am
Who is this guy kidding??

Who is this guy kidding?? He's quiting because he KNOWS he's already been offered the job and it's his for the taking. This is a no-brainer for the new prinicpal because she already knows this guy and his record. I'm sure that a good many of "his" current players will be transferred to Grovetown anyway. Even though I realize that Holder is doing this to further his own gains for himself and for his family, I feel kind of sorry for the kids he's leaving behind at Greenbrier. Shows that he's not committed to them the way he wanted them to be committed to him and Greenbrier. Can you imagine going in to the locker room and telling those boys that there's someplace else he'd rather be than be with them?

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 05/09/08 - 05:26 am
Just My Opinion, if you KNEW

Just My Opinion, if you KNEW the Holders as I do, you'd know that building our kids is THEIR BUSINESS, their PROFESSION. Personal interest is their subordinate consideration. His Dad walked away from GBHS with a heavy heart. I'd bet Rodney's doing the same thing. And you can bet his current baseball players know that and understand his so doing because Rodney explained his actions to them. I better not say anymore.

CSRAider
CSRAider 05/09/08 - 06:29 am
If you look at the payscale

If you look at the payscale of an Football Coach and a Baseball Coach. Football is a higher payscale by far. Excluding Pro Coaches. Holder has a good rep and I do not blame him for moving up or on.

the realest
the realest 05/09/08 - 06:47 am
Just my opinion, go back to

Just my opinion, go back to sleep. Wipe the tears off of your computer and get ready for your bon bon session with Oprah at 12.

THE GAME INSIDE THE GAME
THE GAME INSIDE THE GAME 05/09/08 - 07:20 am
i think it is a good time to

i think it is a good time to leave. rowland and compton
graduated last year and belcher this year along with moving to a tougher region .check out time.....

momma42
momma42 05/09/08 - 07:21 am
since when did wanting to

since when did wanting to advance in your job become a character flaw? once we reach the top, most people are ready for a new challenge. rodney is a good man, and if my child were soon to be attending grovetown high school, I would be thrilled to know that someone like him was there running the show. as much negative pub as this county has had with regard to coaches and athletic directors, let's be glad that someone with some integrity is willing to step in.

Outsidelookingin
Outsidelookingin 05/09/08 - 07:26 am
Good Luck little brother! We

Good Luck little brother! We love you!

Buddy, Donna, Robbie, Brady and Lynnesy Holder

allrise
allrise 05/09/08 - 07:38 am
The AD job is the plum in

The AD job is the plum in this pudding, paying approx $15 M supplement PLUS reduced teaching load. Head coach supplement is the same for every HEAD COACH of varsity sports.What wasn't answered in the article is , will Holder coach baseball at Grovetown. Maybe he will hire his Dad away from Thomson.

Dan White 05/09/08 - 07:58 am
Another Columbia County

Another Columbia County Schools done deal. The coach from Richmond wasn't even in on the back room deal. It was news to him that he would be the baseball coach next season. The AD and head football coach supplement is sizable. Leaving Greenbrier because Belcher is gone? Come on. It's money, power, and position. Grovetown Middle has the worst athletic record in middle schools in CC. Holder is not going to a power house. He'll have his work cut out for him for sure. I bet he will go 0-10 his first year. But, good luck to him, They're getting a tough coach that loves to make his team run laps after a game and humiliate them in front of everybody even if they win. But, I guess that's what it takes to win these days.

CHIEF
CHIEF 05/09/08 - 08:49 am
AWESOME, GB is never going to

AWESOME, GB is never going to be what it once was, Players and Parents made it great. It's a Black Journey Now.

Dan White 05/09/08 - 09:09 am
Yep, the coaches conspired to

Yep, the coaches conspired to get rid of Chadwick so that one of them could get the AD job. Both are winners. Black got the AD at GB and Holder the AD at Grovetown. Coincedence? I don't think so. You're right Chief, down hill for GB in sports.

marien
marien 05/09/08 - 09:36 am
GB is moving to AAAAA. Just

GB is moving to AAAAA. Just look at the football schedule. Alot of schools in this classification recruit and its a known fact. Holder you knows what he's doing. GB should not have went up it's not an even playing field for the kids.

Dan White 05/09/08 - 09:40 am
No, it's not an even playing

No, it's not an even playing field and you can thank Nagle and the Board for that by not rezoning the overpopulated GB to spread out the enrollment to other schools - particularly Harlem. There is no reason why CC can't have its own AAAA region if the enrollment was distributed evenly throughout the county. With diesel and gas prices going through the roof and the long trips to Atlanta for GB athletes, it's going to take a toll financially on the Athletic budget and do away with the big county rivalries. Plus, the wear and tear on the athletes especially on Tues night basketball games when they will return from Atlanta in the wee hours of the morning and be expected to be on time for school the next day. Richmond put all of their schools in the same classification with the exception of Laney who chose to stay AA. Smart move to avoid the expense and long hours of travel.

CSRAman88888
CSRAman88888 05/09/08 - 10:58 am
Lucky8 - I have followed HS

Lucky8 - I have followed HS sports in this area for a while. ARC being weak in baseball has little to do with Chris Wilkins. It has to do with a severe lack of baseball ability by those on the team.

Local Interests
Local Interests 05/09/08 - 10:58 am
The real screw-up by CCBOE

The real screw-up by CCBOE and board was dragging their feet and delaying the building of Growetown high by a full year, leaving Greenbrier no option to appeal their move to 5A.
I predict Grovetown will be quite competitive as a new school because of the re-zoning and the recruiting Holder will do to pull selective young athletes with him (same as his dad did when Greenbrier opened).
The odd part, to me, is Holder wanting to be the football coach. He seems to be an OK baseball coach (hard to look bad with the kind of talent he inherited). However, his football coaching has never been all that good. I don't think he (or anyone else) could effectively be AD, head football coach and head baseball coach.
Giving up baseball in a baseball county is the real surprise.

Dan White 05/09/08 - 11:40 am
Good point, lucky8. When a

Good point, lucky8. When a team doesn't win, the coach is held responsible and fired. When a school doesn't perform and the kids are out of control, a new principal comes in e.g. Tubman Middle. You can ALWAYS lay the problem at the foot of the coach, administrator, or manager for lack of performance by the underlings. Local - your point is interesting. Holder will do some recruiting. He'll have to do something because there is no talent in the feeder schools. Grovetown Middle is last in the standings of all the sports.

backdapack
backdapack 05/09/08 - 12:13 pm
Mrs. Cowart- aka lucky8- why

Mrs. Cowart- aka lucky8- why do you suddenly feel this way about Coach Wilkins?? He has done nothing but support your son and work his tail off for, not only the baseball team, but all of ARC.

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 05/09/08 - 01:15 pm
What a pompous douchebag.

What a pompous douchebag.

arc parent
arc parent 05/09/08 - 03:52 pm
If you want to know the truth

If you want to know the truth about Chris Wilkins, you need to talk to ALL the parents of the ARC Musketeer Baseball team. It's funny that when Wilkins wasn't at any of the JV games how those boys played with all they had and ended up in SECOND place in the county championship. He's such a great coach that he didn't even show up when they went to the championship game. Personally - I'm glad that he didn't because all he would have done was ruin the fun for them. He is an ARROGANT, CONCEITED, person that THINKS he knows how to coach a baseball team. What he should have done was become the track coach because THAT'S ALL HE KNEW HOW TO DO - was run the HOUND out of them!!! The first lesson in baseball is you HAVE to be able to hit the ball and (you guessed it!) GET ON BASE (hence, the name BASEball!!!). You might have a fast runner but you gotta have a coach that CAN COACH the kids around the BASES - NOT GET THEM THROWN OUT AND THEN HOLLER AT THEM! I could go on and on. I promise you ARC has GREAT POTENTIAL in players. Like I said - JV came in 2nd place (BEAT WESTSIDE, WOO HOO!!) and this was after Wilkins cancelled half of the JV games.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 05/09/08 - 03:53 pm
Mrs. Jackson would do well to

Mrs. Jackson would do well to take faculty and staff the calibre of Rodney and Donna with her on her move to GTHS. The new principal will need all the help she can get because many of her new charges will have matriculated at Grovetown Middle School where student discipline and academic advancement have been as scarce as hen's teeth.

Dan White 05/09/08 - 03:56 pm
Wilkins will fit in great at

Wilkins will fit in great at Greenbier. Instead of working on fundamentals when they lost or didn't play well, Holder made the kids run. I don't know these baseball coaches think baseball is a track meet instead of a baseball game. You never see the Braves running laps after a loss. Instead, they might spend more time with the coaches doing infield drills or in the batting cage. Yea, they have to keep conditioned since they are athletes, but punish them by making them run. How Lame!

arc parent
arc parent 05/09/08 - 04:18 pm
Chris Wilkins What a joke.

Chris Wilkins What a joke. His record speeks for its self.When I first met Chris two years ago I thought by the way he talked he would be a good coach boy was I fooled. Not only was he a bad coach he is a very deceiving person.He talks out of both sides of his mouth and its all about how a great person he is. And he tells the coach at Harlem that he is sorry that he had to put such a sorry team up against him in front of the ARC team. What a spirit builder. Then add his loser dad. But thats another story.GBHS hope you know what you are getting. Just talk to ARC parents.But Chris can you go any faster. By the way backdapack you must be his mom.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 05/09/08 - 04:52 pm
Your spelling "speeks" for

Your spelling "speeks" for itself. Back off Wilkins.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/09/08 - 06:39 pm
I know I "jumped" on Holder

I know I "jumped" on Holder on the first post made, but I really don't blame the guy for making a move that would be financially beneficial to his family. But, I guess what got me irked is that he and whatever others make it seem like he's quiting at Greenbrier in HOPES of getting the job at Grovetown. We all know that it has to be a done deal or the man wouldn't have quit! Don't come out with some sort of lame line like that, thinking that we're stupid. You got the job...congratulations. All this stuff about the new coach coming to Greenbrier from ARC would have any parent concerned, but I think only the ARC players and parents know how true it is. I don't.

backdapack
backdapack 05/09/08 - 07:26 pm
Hey morons- if the "select"

Hey morons- if the "select" group on here is any indication of the type of parents that represent ARC baseball, it is no wonder Coach Wilkins is running- although I do not think he is running. Which one of you would turn down a dream job in your chosen profession to stay around a bunch of gripes? Get a clue. Coach Wilkins cancelled JV games???? Hello- its called RAIN and not having enough players to field a jv team and a varsity team. If ARC is going to be so great next year, PLEASE schedule some games with Greenbrier so that you can beat the "sorry" old coach. The good baseball players at ARC are not baseball players. Whether they play for the shockers or whoever, none would make the team at Greenbrier. Coach Wilkins took a job at a better baseball school like college coaches do all the time. It sounds like someone got their feelings hurt. No -I am not his mom, just an area high school baseball fan who knows enough to know you people are clueless!

arc parent
arc parent 05/09/08 - 07:49 pm
backdapack you are the only

backdapack you are the only moron on here.See you next year.

backdapack
backdapack 05/09/08 - 08:27 pm
Said the moron who responded

Said the moron who responded to me.

footballdawg
footballdawg 05/09/08 - 09:24 pm
Interesting stuff on here.

Interesting stuff on here. Don't blame coach holder for wanting to better his career and family income. For the record, the AD position at CC high schools pays $4500 per year. I wouldn't do it for that. It does come with a longer contract that adds several thousand more, depending on the individuals pay grade.

Greenbrier had no choice but move up. They are currently about 350 students above the 1850 cutoff for 4A. The state funding formula made it hard to build a new high school earlier than now. The real travesty is that the CCBOE didn't rezone the GB area a couple of years ago to move kids to Lakeside and Harlem. Lakeside is mid 1500 and Harlem low 1300 student population.

GB's second year at 5A will be the worst. They will lose 600-700 students to the new school. They will then compete at the 5A level with 1700-1800 kids.

Our school system should always be about education first, however; if we are going to have athletics, we need to be much more strategic and forward thinking than we are.

Just some random thoughts.

bradd
bradd 05/09/08 - 09:24 pm
Can anyone on here tell me

Can anyone on here tell me the last time an African-American has been a VARSITY Head Coach in Basketball or Football in a Columbia County High School? If my memory is correct Harlem had the last two,Sammy Williams-Boys Basketball 1989-90,and Allen Gray-Boys Basketball,in the 90's. I don't recall any African-American Head Football coaches in the the last 20 years. Do any of you? Are African-Americans not applying?Kinda,Sorta,Sad.

bradd
bradd 05/09/08 - 09:48 pm
I agree with Just My Opinion

I agree with Just My Opinion that this does sound like a done deal with the Grovetown job.
People don't normally quit a job in hopes of getting another job at a place where the bricks are still being laid.
I'm all for promoting from within,it promotes a sense of appreciation,but I wonder how you can say you have identified the best candidate when you've only searched within a school wide radius.
Even if this isn't a done deal,there is a 99.999% chance that the Head Football Coach will NOT be an African-American and a 99.998% chance that the two Varsity Basketball coaches will not be African-American.
I can't wait to see the final makeup of the coaching staff.