Ousted residents still distraught

It's been less than a year since Gilbert Manor residents were informed they would have to move from their homes.

At a town hall meeting Thursday night, it was clear many of those former residents who now live at Olmstead Homes on Broad Street are still sour about having to relocate from their former residences.

Hattie Nunnally, an 18-year former resident at the federally-subsidized housing project, said the problem lies in how she and other Gilbert Manor tenants were displaced.

"We were rushed from there," she said. "They told us the property had been sold to Medical College of Georgia and we needed to move immediately."

She moved Jan. 11.

"Now they're saying it hasn't been sold yet and they're still looking for a buyer," she added.

In August, the Augusta Housing Authority board voted to close Gilbert Manor.

Wilbert Allen, a community activist who claims ties with the United Church of Christ, came to the forum to support the relocated Gilbert Manor tenants, many of whom now reside at Olmstead Homes on Broad Street.

"They realized they had to move, but they're upset with the process they were presented for moving," he said. "It's a human rights issue. Because people are poor doesn't mean they should be mistreated."

Thursday night's meeting was at the Olmstead Homes Community Center.

Clara Chance, of the Georgia Citizens' Coalition on Hunger, which organized the forum, said the Housing Authority members were not invited because the meeting was originally planned as a "community forum," but during a question and answer session, topics gravitated toward the more volatile Gilbert Manor issue.

District 22 incumbent Sen. Ed Tarver, D-Augusta, and his opponent for the upcoming election, Marion Williams, were at the forum. Mr. Tarver left early because of a previous engagement. Ms. Chance said state Reps. Wayne Howard and Gloria Frazier also were invited, but neither attended.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

catfish20
catfish20 05/02/08 - 05:55 am
If you own your own home and

If you own your own home and pay your own mortgage, then you can make the decisions about when and where to move. But when I am paying for the roof over your head and the food on your plate, I make the decisions. You should just thank the good lord you have some where to live.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/02/08 - 06:20 am
That says it all catfish.

That says it all catfish.

DogLover
DogLover 05/02/08 - 08:08 am
Catfish & Patriciathomas, you

Catfish & Patriciathomas, you are truly hateful to make a comments like that. I hope nothing ever happens in your life to make you fall upon hard times. And if it does, I wonder who'll be around to help you. Yes, I own my own home, but that doesn't make me any better than anyone else who has fallen on hard times. We don't know other people circumstances, we can only assume, and it seems you're assuming what you want to.

pbt1706
pbt1706 05/02/08 - 08:28 am
To Catfish, I know a lot of

To Catfish, I know a lot of the people who use to live in Gilbert Manor and like Doglover say you don't know other people circumstances, everybody don't stay in the project because they want to some people have to in order to get a new start. I hope that GOD give you a taste of this. And as for me, I hope you jump back in the lake and get caught up in somebodies net, I'm sure that they will throw you back because you are a nasty catfish.

happythoughts
happythoughts 05/02/08 - 08:45 am
Anything can happen to anyone

Anything can happen to anyone anytime whether you own the property or not. BE POSITIVE and make the change a benefit to you and your family. Changes can be good if you make it happen. This is America, OPPORTUNITY IS OUT THERE for everyone. This is a time for change, take it and pull yourself together to get the best out of it. YOU CAN DO IT.

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/02/08 - 08:53 am
18 year resident of GM...

18 year resident of GM... that says it all. Lots of positive things can be said of someone who lives 18 YEARS in public housing. Defend that, socialists.

G.R.I.T.S
G.R.I.T.S 05/02/08 - 11:44 am
DogLover, falling on hard

DogLover, falling on hard times is one thing; living for generations on the taxpayers dollar is something else entirely. I'd be willing to bet that over 90% of the families that lived at GM had been there for more than one generation. It is a way of life for them. They think the government (us) owe them a place to live, food for the table, free education, and anything else that normal, hardworking families have to pay for. Personally, I am sick to death of giving these deadbeat, welfare families help. A person that falls on hard times usually finds a way to pull themselves up. These people only want more and more. Maybe they could stay at your house for a while. How would you like that?? Because of them, my taxes keep going up and my paycheck keeps getting smaller; but I'm the wrong color to get a handout.

teabag1963
teabag1963 05/02/08 - 11:46 am
doglover, public housing was

doglover, public housing was meant to be temporary.it was a stepping stone until one could afford to buy their own home,and provide for themselves.it was not meant for generations of families to avoid mortgages,and higher rent all the while procreating countless children.most of these places have become nothing but a headache for law enforcement,and the court systems.you call any housing authority today and every project has a waiting list for vacancies, need i say more?

MJDW
MJDW 05/02/08 - 11:48 am

Thank you tall2, even the handiecap work for a living.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 05/02/08 - 02:57 pm
Doglover, please explain how

Doglover, please explain how moving someone to one free dwelling to another is heartless. Throwing them out on the street is heartless. Moving them to improve the odds of the MCG remaining and expanding in Augusta is good for the entire community. Hard times is one thing, and I support providing a hand up. Having "one of those lifetimes" does not indicate someone taking responsibility for themselves.

spotted23
spotted23 05/02/08 - 04:51 pm
...

...

spotted23
spotted23 05/02/08 - 04:51 pm
...

...

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 05/02/08 - 04:56 pm
G.R.I.T.S. I bet you are not

G.R.I.T.S. I bet you are not the wrong color for food stamps and Section 8.

spotted23
spotted23 05/02/08 - 09:57 pm
you people can pass judgement

you people can pass judgement if you like for the people who livedl 18 years in the Gilbert Manor area but do you know their situation it maybe their disable,no thats not it!thats not a good enough reason is it, no matter what the reason might be you will see it your way.why?cause you are ignored and low life to think you have all of the anweres, everyone life style is different, where you born to have everything handed to you or had a bad experience happen to you if not keep on living and praying specially since we are living in such hard times with grocery, and gas prices going up you better pray you don,t end up in Lake almonstead or any other housing unit.

spotted23
spotted23 05/02/08 - 10:28 pm
there are a lot of people

there are a lot of people that live in housing that are not on food stamps or on welfair,i live in housing longer than 18 yrs. I have worked all my life and paid taxes,and never asked any one for anything,i payed my rent with my money i work for.so stop saying people in housing are lazy and want work.i wored a tem job for 8 yrs.what about you all stop judging people and try to help them.we none no how things will work out for you.we have young ladies in housing that are in school, and that are working.GOD BLESS YOU ALL

KSL
121942
KSL 05/03/08 - 07:14 am
Fallen on hard times for 18

Fallen on hard times for 18 years? They don't know what hard times are. Hard times are when you are paying your own way and don't know where the money is coming from. Hard times are when you borrow to put your kids through school or fund the only retirement you are going to have. spotted23 why didn't you go back to school? You have the right attitude.

pbt1706
pbt1706 05/04/08 - 12:12 am
Pointstoponder, moving a

Pointstoponder, moving a person from one spot to another is not wrong but when there is nothing wrong with the location and a person has to down size Gilbert Manor in order to sell it and lie to the people who were living there, telling them that nothing will change the rent will be the same or better. to say we're sorry but the property has been sold, in which it has not been sold as of yet, all of this add up to a heartless person. To take a place that is well suitable to live in and take the people away that really needed this place and put them somewhere where another person could have been place is heartless. MCG has a lot of land, Gilbert Manor is not really need that bad. Let's hope that the city don't try something stupid like buying the land with our money for MCG. Yes I say our money, I don't stay in the project, I have been out of the project for 22 years, work every since I was 14, so I know what the Gilbert Manor crew is going thru. Let's keep it real.

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.