Team OKs library plan

An arbitration team reached agreement Thursday on the design of the proposed $24 million Augusta Regional Library, paving the way for the project to move forward.

The Augusta-Richmond County Historic Preservation Commission had voted Tuesday not to approve the design created by Craig Gaulden Davis architectural firm of Greenville, S.C., and Dee Beaird of Studio 3 Design in Augusta.

The matter then went into arbitration, with Planning Commission Director George Patty mediating, according to Gary Swint, the director of the East Central Georgia Regional Library.

The historic preservation board wanted the building to blend in more with others on James Brown Boulevard.

The compromise calls for the use of darker red bricks instead of clay-colored in part of the building and a tan band of masonry instead of white around the top, Mr. Swint said.

Mr. Swint called the changes "perfectly acceptable."

"We were trying to make a bold statement about the library of tomorrow, but we don't want to be perceived as being in conflict with historic preservation," he said.

Historic commission members voted 4-2 Tuesday against approving the design after viewing computer-generated images of the building on James Brown Boulevard between Greene and Telfair streets.

Thursday's compromise should allow the 90,000-square-foot project to advance on schedule. Preservation commission Chairman Mark Lorah and member Allen Venable were authorized to approve the design if a suitable compromise were reached.

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

dashiel
dashiel 05/02/08 - 07:21 am
Let's hope the brick

Let's hope the brick "selectors" are not the same ones who chose ugly bricks for the terminal at Bush Field air strip. Apparently these wusses waffled on the new library's container ship corner, the ugliest single feature in the artist's rendering, and eliminated the white squares at the structure's top, its one acceptable feature. New buildings with character and distinction would go a long way to compensate for the irreplacable Union Station which was destroyed to make way for a parking-garage with seats. Then again, shoddy soviet style architecture does allow us to dispose of a building sooner and without guilt because nobody ever really liked it anyway.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 05/02/08 - 07:33 am
I'm using the library of

I'm using the library of tomorrow to enter this comment. A 90,000 SF new facility when you can't even keep books in the existing. Good move.

paulwheeler
paulwheeler 05/02/08 - 08:37 am
Am I to believe that

Am I to believe that something is actually about to happen in Richmond County? You mean one of our numerous boards and commissions could not derail this one?
The artists rendition I saw in the Augusta Chronicle looked like a pretty decent buidling. As far a black monoliths, look at the facade of the current library on Greene Street.

JohnnyYuma
JohnnyYuma 05/02/08 - 09:22 am
pointstoponder you are using

pointstoponder you are using the library of yesterday! The library of tomorrow hasn't been built yet. And just where are the books if not at the library, maybe at your house.Libraries do all they can to preserve and maintain their collections, the problem comes from the people(not library)who abuse and steal the library materials.So if the library has no books its not their fault.
Just some words to ponder.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 05/02/08 - 12:53 pm
hand, I did ponder. More and

hand, I did ponder. More and more research material is being released in electronic format, and no I'm not talking about Wikipedia. Along with collections, a library has to add newer content. This community has not proven that that is a priority. A new 90,000SF library with a palatial suite (including private restroom) for the director is not going to improve the service available to the citizens. Ponder that for a few minutes.

agacitzen
agacitzen 05/02/08 - 02:13 pm
I was at a commission meeting

I was at a commission meeting when the fees being paid to the company that oversees the construction of the library was considered. They want $1.3 million to look over the plans!!! I can't believe it. Wasn't there a law suit they were responsible for the city having to pay. Get rid of them and can build the library. There won't be a library. All the money will go to the consultants. The best idea is to erect a row of big columns and then give the rest of the money to the consultants.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 05/02/08 - 02:43 pm
agacitizen, I seriously doubt

agacitizen, I seriously doubt you heard the entire story up to and including the delays and cost increases directly attributable to the board. This is an attempt by the board to divert attention away from their own problems.

JohnnyYuma
JohnnyYuma 05/02/08 - 03:39 pm
I pondered....electronic

I pondered....electronic format... library has public computers?
Palatial suite..must have never been in a director's office, and he has his own private restroom now. The director's job is mainly to improve everything including service to the patrons(citizens). But you knew that!

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 05/02/08 - 04:49 pm
Actually hand, I have been in

Actually hand, I have been in a director's office. The one planned for the new library is larger than that of a superior court judge and far more than any other Augusta Department Director. Maybe you didn't know that!!

JohnnyYuma
JohnnyYuma 05/02/08 - 06:00 pm
I belive I said that. A

I belive I said that. A superior court judge,no one special,you mean all judge's offices are ruled by some special law. I was wondering how big the director's office is, you must have scaled it off the drawings and then went to all the other department heads and measured. So could you give me all those numbers so I can check.Know it..show it!

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 05/02/08 - 10:16 pm
500 SF for the Library

500 SF for the Library director, judges and Department heads 250 SF or less. Shown.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...