Slain sisters were pregnant, dad says

THOMSON --- Two sisters who were fatally shot Wednesday at an apartment complex in Thomson were both pregnant, family members said.

"My wife told me (Wednesday) that Linda was pregnant," said the sisters' father, Fred Mathis, referring to his daughter Linda Mathis, 21. Family members said they had known that Linda's sister, Marlo Mathis, 20, was six months' pregnant.

Marlo and Linda died Wednesday of gunshot wounds, according to the preliminary results of a Thursday autopsy, said McDuffie County Deputy Coroner Sammy Purvis.

The man charged with their deaths, Bryant Williams, appeared in court Thursday, facing two counts of murder. He expressed remorse, indicating that he wanted to be punished for what had happened.

"I want y'all to know, do whatever y'all want to do," Mr. Williams told McDuffie County Chief Magistrate Judge Bryant Swan while holding his head down and sobbing. "I want the death penalty."

Authorities would not confirm the pregnancies or whether Mr. Williams would face more charges.

Mr. Mathis said neither of his daughters deserved what happened to them.

"I don't have the slightest idea why they were shot to death," Mr. Mathis said.

At Thursday's hearing, Judge Swan told the defendant that if convicted, he could get life in prison, life without parole or the death penalty.

mayhem2020
mayhem2020 05/02/08 - 03:58 am
hmmmmmmmm!!!!

hmmmmmmmm!!!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/02/08 - 04:22 am
Did Williams remorse follow a

Did Williams remorse follow a guilty plea? Is there any doubt he's guilty? Billy Hobbs left out some pertinent information.

G MAC
G MAC 05/02/08 - 06:04 am
why does a good portion of

why does a good portion of our society have no regard or respect for life?
life is the most precious of things and especially life of unborn children.
why?????

SHELBY69
SHELBY69 05/02/08 - 06:42 am
This occurred in McDuffie

This occurred in McDuffie County, GSP and GBI is involved. If the county was involved, certain deputies would have planted drugs and stated "it was due to drugs". It's a miracle the county deputies could find the house. I guess they had to leave their honey holes.

WW1949
WW1949 05/02/08 - 07:52 am
i wonder if he was the father

i wonder if he was the father of the children? it is odd that the father did not know his daughter was pregnant which makes you sumise that both were not married. i hope he does get the death penalty.

BEAUTIFUL
BEAUTIFUL 05/02/08 - 08:46 am
Denali123, you did not know

Denali123, you did not know this young man. Bryant was a good person. You do not know the circumstances behind the shootings. No, he should not have killed the two sisters, but before you judge, know the facts of situation.

tyme4change
tyme4change 05/02/08 - 08:50 am
May God bless this

May God bless this family.
mjw

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 05/02/08 - 08:59 am
death is the easy way out for

death is the easy way out for this punk..let him live n prison for the rest of his life...they love child killers n woman killers let him get n the system n let them beat him till they kill him

warrenton989
warrenton989 05/02/08 - 09:05 am
Denali123, It's easy to make

Denali123,

It's easy to make other people look so small while at the same time you assume it makes you look that much more intelligent as it relates to the father not knowing his daughter was pregnant. Because you don't know the FACTS, let me give you a little bit. Within the last few days, the daughter had just went to the doctor and found out that she was pregnant. Maybe she wanted to wait to tell her father about this, I don't know but she has every right to tell him whenever and wherever she pleases.

And before you accuss me of assuming things, this was my family that this happened to so I have a little more insight than you do. This is a sad world when a tragedy strikes and instead of helping to lift up this family, people choose to point out all the negative assumptions.

Today it's my family, tomorrow it might be yours.

harperave
harperave 05/02/08 - 09:09 am
well iam a native of

well iam a native of warrenton ga. i feel like what happen was a very bad and i feel like he should get life most of all the death penalty because any time you take the lives of innocent people you do not deserve to be in the general population with anyone he needs to get the death penalty. do i feel he is remorsful no i dont i feel like what he did was unfair and he deserves what ever he gets. now there family marlow and linda's has to grieve for the lost there daughters. and i feel for his family as well. to take the life of innocent kids it's just not right. it hurts to see anyone lose there life over nothing. i hope he get the death penalty.

wino5353
wino5353 05/02/08 - 09:20 am
Its thomson..everyone is

Its thomson..everyone is pregnant

0430 05/02/08 - 09:30 am
Denaili123 WAKE THE HELL

Denaili123 WAKE THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!! He killed two people. He had to shoot them... BULL.

dearingdoll
dearingdoll 05/02/08 - 09:35 am
I live in Thomson and I am

I live in Thomson and I am not pregnant.

wino5353
wino5353 05/02/08 - 09:41 am
I live in thomson, and I'm

I live in thomson, and I'm not pregnant either...but there must be 90% under the age of 25 who are.

WILKES
WILKES 05/02/08 - 10:14 am
Denali123 I had been married

Denali123 I had been married 4 years when I became pregant. I did not tell my parents or in-laws until I was 3 months along becuase I wanted it to be a Mother's Day surpise for them. We can not assume we know things just because that is what you would do. Everyone is different. I pray for peace for this family during this time.

loveone85
loveone85 05/02/08 - 10:32 am
Linda and marlow were my

Linda and marlow were my friend and linda and marlow been pregant was a blessing from the LORD. Yes linda was going to tell her family but she was waiting on the best time to tell them. Linda and Marlow had two diffferent baby father no they were not pregant by the same person for the record. That why the world is in a mess now because people like you. What happen to people praying for the family. The world is coming to a end soon so for the best for you people are to get right with the lord. It was time for them to leave the world. the lord is getting ready he took linda and marlow from us for a reason and we will never know that reason but linda will always be my friend and marlow but we will met again at the gates of heaven.

checkitout
checkitout 05/02/08 - 10:42 am
You know no one knows what

You know no one knows what happen that sad day. We only know that 2 pregnant women are dead and a man that was good let something bad happen in a moment that should not have happen. Prayers should go to the families of all. People act to fast without thinking. This doesnt just happen in Thomson it happens all over. It is the way this world is coming to. Your right today it is this family tomorrow it will be someone elses family. We only hear what the news telss us or read what the press wants you to read.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/02/08 - 11:08 am
0430 He killed four people.

0430 He killed four people.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 05/02/08 - 11:23 am
This is a sad situation.

This is a sad situation. Correction Baroness, he killed five people. Two young ladies, two unborn angels and himself. I want offer my sincerest condolences to the Mathis family.

neversurprised
neversurprised 05/02/08 - 11:32 am
To Beautiful , this good

To Beautiful , this good wonderful man that you know has killed 4 people. There is no justice in what he did, he should be executed.

neversurprised
neversurprised 05/02/08 - 11:32 am
To Beautiful , this good

lilcarl
lilcarl 05/02/08 - 11:36 am
sorry about the lose of the

sorry about the lose of the victims,but we must pray and keep faith in god he will see us through this sad time ,this guy has destroyed two familes lives forever,he's family and the victims family ,in a small comunity thats not good ,because you see each other every day and some of you go to church together,you'all have to continue to seek god and pray ,and love one another,and god will see you through,this guy need to repent because he's is going to need to take him through this storm he's about to go through,all of you are in me and my family prayers ,from the harvey family in augusta georgia.

I_the_stranger
I_the_stranger 05/02/08 - 11:43 am
Shelby69, you're an idiot!

Shelby69, you're an idiot!

shamorris
shamorris 05/02/08 - 11:51 am
This is truly a very sad

This is truly a very sad situation for both families, it seems as though Mr. Williams decided for what ever reason that two young ladies no longer needed to live not to mention their unborn children. I'm not trying to judge him because I donot know him or anything about him. I cannot think of any reason other than self-defense to take someones life from them. My heart truly goes out to both families the Mathis family for having to deal with losing their love ones for no apparent reason and for the Williams family for having to face the fact that their son deciding that he had the right to take them away. I hope through prayer, counsel, strong community support that these families can one day move forward. MR. & MRS. Mathis my prayers go out to you every step of the way hold on to GOD he will get you through it will be rough somedays but look up he will be there to pull you through. To the rest of us lets all pray for the families and stop trying to determine what made him do this horrible crime he will get whats coming to him through thr courts as well as the man above.

mable8
mable8 05/02/08 - 11:51 am
It's like the world's gone

It's like the world's gone mad, no need to talk to anyone, just grab a weapon and rid the earth of what you don't want to deal with. It is a travesty of life--not justice. Heartfelt prayers to the victims' family; and prayers to the perpetrator's family as well. As for repentence, that must come from only the perpetrator--and only God will know he is being honest about it. People need to quit assuming to fill in the information they don't have and newspapers need to quit having the trial before the courts do. It serves no purpose and causes a miscarriage of justice as well as distorting the truth. There are many cases where the local authorities will call in additional law enforcement agencies such as GSP and GBI; it has nothing to do with drug involvement. Denigrating local law enforcement because of the request for additional help is a disservice to those you hire for the positions in policing and shows one's ignorance and disrespect.

lilcarl
lilcarl 05/02/08 - 12:07 pm
im not the one to rush to

im not the one to rush to judgment ,but this is why the young people of each an every comunity need to know about god you see alot of young folks fall by the waist side because they dont know god,but let me tell you god is a awesome god,he will deliver you from your sins,i hope and pray people realize whats going on in this world ,this wont cost you anything,just follow gods commandments and he will take care of you ,if any one who reads this have any young kids or know some please lead them to the lord and you will be blessed also,harvey boy augusta ,godbless all of you.

robbie1
robbie1 05/02/08 - 12:35 pm
Warrenton, your family is in

Warrenton, your family is in our prayers.

ruach
ruach 05/02/08 - 01:08 pm
May God be with both of these

May God be with both of these families as they deal with this tragic situation.

35mphdriver
35mphdriver 05/02/08 - 01:19 pm
Yes I agree with Bryant

Yes I agree with Bryant Williams he needs the death penalty. I don't mean sitting back in an air condition prison, with pently of food to eat and a place to sleep. I mean DEATH>

ruach
ruach 05/02/08 - 02:02 pm
May God be with both of these

May God be with both of these families as they deal with this tragic situation.