Annual event keeps up popularity

A combination of hip-hop and R&B music along with custom cars on display again attracted Tiffany Williams to Augusta's Powerfest on Saturday.

Back | Next
Teenagers dance to the music during Powerfest at the Augusta Exchange Club Fairgrounds. Thousands attended the event.  Michael Holahan/Staff
Michael Holahan/Staff

"I always like the artists they have performing, especially this year since Shawty Lo is performing," said the Greenwood, S.C., resident. "I also like seeing what people have done to their cars to make them different, like the rims, bright paint and custom interiors. The best part is having all of this in one place."

Ms. Williams has attended Powerfest for the past three years.

Despite early morning rains, officials estimated attendance between 15,000 and 20,000.

Bessie Carswell, of Louisville, Ga., was there with her family to celebrate her son's 16th birthday.

"This is what he wanted to do for his birthday, and since none of us have attended this before, we decided to come out here with him," she said. "I was looking forward to it as much as he was because I like the music, too."

On the opposite side of the fairgrounds, the Greg Street Celebrity Car and Bike Show featured cars owned by Block Entertainment, music producer Polow Da Don, Konvict Music and rapper Yung Joc.

A showcase of customized cars by locals such as Moochie Hunter, of Evans, also seemed to be a hit. Mr. Hunter showcased a 1968 Camaro along with a 1984 El Camino, which caught people's attention with its painted scene of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"It's definitely something different, and not many people would depict something like this on their car," he said. "It took a lot of work to do, but it's catching people's attention. That's why I wanted to showcase it."

James Dukes, of Augusta, has been showcasing his 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass for the past couple of years at Powerfest.

"The thing about my car is that people who saw it last year won't see the same thing this year. I have the paint changed on the car every year. That's the only way you can stay ahead of everyone else when it comes to competing," he said.

Cars were judged in several categories including original restorations and foreign exotics. The event was held by WPRW-FM (107.7).

Reach Nikasha Dicks at (706) 823-3336 or nikasha.dicks@augustachronicle.com.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/27/08 - 08:43 am
Wooo Hooo... such a fitting

Wooo Hooo... such a fitting event for Augusta

corndog69
corndog69 04/27/08 - 09:39 am
hey idea time let the raido

hey idea time let the raido station run the civic center they seem to draw in more talent and more folks from out of town

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/27/08 - 10:50 am
What's wrong with it? Cannot

What's wrong with it? Cannot have the horse shows all of the time.

HillGuy
HillGuy 04/27/08 - 02:16 pm
I'm surprised there were no

I'm surprised there were no fights or gunfire.

intheknow
intheknow 04/27/08 - 02:20 pm
I am not. I am sure that they

I am not. I am sure that they are sorry to disappoint you.

iletuknow
iletuknow 04/27/08 - 03:44 pm
African culture: see how far

African culture: see how far it gets you in a capitalist society.

OBAMA4PRES
OBAMA4PRES 04/27/08 - 04:33 pm
It's sad how we still have so

It's sad how we still have so many racist people in the world!! You don't see us commenting on golf or horsing or whatever yall do stories!! GROW UP!!!! And who's ignorant here?! FIND SOMETHING BETTER TO DO WITH YOUR LIVES!!!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/27/08 - 05:01 pm
I did something better than

I did something better than usual with my life yesterday, OBAMA4PRES. I enjoyed the peace and quiet in my neighborhood! No teenage girls walking five people abreast across the subdivision roads blocking traffic and filling the air with foul language while people are out walking for exercise. No male teen taking 2 pitbulls out for a walk at the same time. No male drivers going boom boom boom in their cars around and around the neighborhood or stopping at the house of the guy that stands near the entrance of his driveway all day talking on the phone having steady visitors drive up stay a minute and leave. What kind of curb service is going on in the subdivision now? I didn't realize I had the Powerfest to thank for a less stressful quality of life for one day. Hey, do it more often, I could use more weekends like that one.

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 04/27/08 - 05:45 pm
Damn Baroness if you are so

Damn Baroness if you are so tired of this horrible display of people littering your neighborhood or "driveway" then you should move. I know a person like you who values there peace, quiet, property value, and money surely can just move or better yet afford to gett rid of the litter. Racist Anus

Son of God
Son of God 04/27/08 - 06:24 pm
may the words that you speak

may the words that you speak be comforting, edifying, and exalting. otherwise, hold your peace. repent, for the kingdom of god is at hand. god comes as a thief in the night. are you ready? did you comment on this article as if you are ready?'the devil comes to steal, kill, and to destroy but jesus comes that we have life and more abundant life. if you are in christ, you can live anywhere and go anywhere as christ went. we are created equal and in his image. there is no male, female, black, white, or any labels on us in god's eyesight so why has the devil fooled you? wake up or die and go to hell in your critical stage of hatred. the may fest does not edify christ but all the people who attended are loved by god. stop promoting the devil so much. they that worship god must worship him in spirit and in truth. if your eyes are on god only and you have enough power and knew how to pray, then we wouldn't read or write so much garbage. who are we to judge? read romans 10: 9, 10, psalm 51, psalm 01, psalm 121 deuteronomy 32:39, ephesians 6;, ephesians 3:20. read the bible and study to show yourself approved. it's obvious you don't read the word by your comments here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsprings
jsprings 04/27/08 - 06:50 pm
the days of racism will never

the days of racism will never be behind us...we have satan to thank for this...on the same token we also have the lost soul, whether they are white, black, yellow, brown or whatever, to thank because they only help satans cause with the actions of their hearts and their minds. WE ARE ALL CHILDREN of ONE GOD when are we going to wake up and realize this, untill we take the blinders from our eyes we will never evolve as a people all fighting for the same cause...PEACE ON EARTH WHERE EVERYONE CAN LIVE HAPPILY AND PROSPER...AMEN

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/27/08 - 07:39 pm
Well Baronees, I am sure that

Well Baronees, I am sure that we Blacks are glad that you had such a peaceful day. Maybe you can start a committee to promote a Powerfest month. That way you can walk your street safely, at least for a month. Uz blakz luv 2 due whaz weee kan 2 hep.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/27/08 - 07:53 pm
Well, I'm white and,

Well, I'm white and, personally, I don't really see anything wrong with having the Powerfest. I mean, if there are "white" events, then why can't there be "black" events? At either event there will most likely be random acts of trouble/violence, but that's just because that sort of thing tends to happen at large gatherings. As far as the neighborhood being quiet during the concert, I have no idea where she lives. But, if it's as bad as she implies, then she should move. Racism goes on EVERYWHERE, not just the south. Look what's happening up north, in New York, where that media-hog Al Sharpton is trying to make a racial issue out of that poor unarmed black man who was shot by 3 policemen the day (I think) before his wedding. How can it be a racial issue when 2 of the 3 policemen were black?? Oh, well...that's for another article and doesn't have anything to do with Powerfest, does it?

mayhem2020
mayhem2020 04/27/08 - 09:13 pm
power to da fest!

power to da fest!

goldie53
goldie53 04/27/08 - 10:36 pm
I would like to make a

I would like to make a comment on The Powerfest. It is true that it is good to have different events in Augusta. We have the Masters, Garden Show and The Futurity. We are a cultural diverse city (even though it sounds from some remarks above others think not). I am not here to argue with the ignorance of Augustans whose eyes think that Black events means criminal activity.
My problem with this event ws the lack of traffic control by the Augusta Police department. I was driving to the The Augusta Adult Society 43rd Cotillion for the Debutante at the Bell Auditorium. The traffic was back from Walton Way all the way back to Molly Pond Rd with cars. This was a remarkable different in that two weeks ago I was at the Master golf tournament and the traffic control was oh what's the word. I know "CONTROL" What I want to know why the difference in treatment? I understand you had to have staff at the event but what about the traffic ?
Even Atlanta know how to manage large crowds of people and traffic.Augustans you have got to get things organized here if you really want to be the second largest city in Georgia.
BTW,stop the hate my fellow Augustans! We are only here for a moment

WW1949
WW1949 04/28/08 - 10:55 pm
Baroness, It is obvious you

Baroness, It is obvious you live in a neighboor hood that is mostly black. But I live in an area that is mostly white and I hear the boom, boom, boom going up the street all the time. It also vibrates the glass on my car at the stop lights, at the gas pump and anywhere one of these cars stop. You can here these cars going up Walton Way two blocks away. Pretty soon the hearing aid business will be big. These teenagers do not know how stupid they are with this vibration and the damage it does to their ears. The same thing is going to happen with the IPods.