Police look for owners of recovered belongings

Columbia County authorities are looking for the owners of property recovered from the home of two people arrested in March and charged in a series of thefts from vehicles.

Joseph Cain Smith, 23, and Heather Nicole Long, 27, were arrested March 23 and charged with six counts of entering an auto to commit theft.

When police searched the couple's Columbia County apartment, they found many items that might have been stolen, including expensive electronics and a large DVD collection, Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said.

"We have returned all the items we can," Capt. Morris said, and nearly 30 items are still unclaimed.

Because one of the returned items has been identified as being stolen from North Augusta, Capt. Morris said he believes some of the items could have come from thefts in Richmond County or North Augusta. The couple has been connected to thefts in those areas and in Columbia County.

Anyone who has had property stolen from vehicles since March 8 in these areas should contact the sheriff's office at (706) 541-2800 to identify and claim property belonging to them, Capt. Morris said.

"Some of the items may belong to the suspects legitimately," he said. "We don't want to just destroy these items. We want to return them to the rightful owner if possible."

Ms. Long was released from the Columbia County Detention Center on March 24 after posting a $45,600 bond, according to jail personnel. Mr. Smith, who also was charged with driving on a suspended or revoked license, was being held Monday without bond, according to jail personnel.

Reach Valerie Rowell at 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/22/08 - 07:27 am
Here we go agian, more mix

Here we go agian, more mix up. There has to be a mistake. The news paper article stated that " they searched the couple's Columbia county home". That would imply that these thieves LIVED in Columbia county, while committing crimes in Richmond and Aiken counties. I am sure they meant to put, The couple's South Augusta home was searched. What shoddy reporting. I am glad I found this mistake, before someone thought that anyone living in Columbia county, would ever commit a crime. WHEW!!!!! LTFB :)

griesella
griesella 04/22/08 - 08:20 am
Hypo..Don't get confused now.

Hypo..Don't get confused now. Columbia County has it's own "south augusta". A small portion, but it does exist.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/22/08 - 08:40 am
I know that, it was a jab at

I know that, it was a jab at all of those that put Richmond county down all of the time. I am just waiting for the fallout. LOL

cyoung
cyoung 04/22/08 - 08:44 am
I feel sorry for this girls

I feel sorry for this girls children. I hope they live with their daddy.

foxyloxy
foxyloxy 04/22/08 - 10:02 am
Who said anything about

Who said anything about children? Come on people wake up!!! By the way Chronicle reporters obviously have a masters degree in "Stupid"!

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 04/22/08 - 11:48 am
It's a shame that they LIVE

It's a shame that they LIVE in Columbia County but steals from Richmond County. Wouldn't they have gotten much nicer items out of Columbia County? I'm quiet sure the guard at the gated neighborhoods isn't protecting junk. It makes me sick on my stomach to hear all the negative comments about Richmond County. We work just as hard. People will do anything just to say they are a resident of Columbia county. Stealing from others in Richmond County damn sure isn't the way to pay your RENT in Columbia County.

luvnant
luvnant 04/22/08 - 03:41 pm
whatever

whatever

ChristaHR
ChristaHR 04/22/08 - 03:58 pm
Where were these break-ins at

Where were these break-ins at in Columbia County? I have been hearing sounds in my driveway like someone was trying to breakin to my car, but it was locked.

mmmm mmmm mmm
mmmm mmmm mmm 04/23/08 - 01:57 pm
What in the world? This is

What in the world? This is terrible. It really puts a bad taste in peoples mouth! I am sure they have a chemical problem