Stop Broun's incessant calls, mailings

Evidently a number of U.S. Rep. Paul Broun's constituents are turned off on his campaign for re-election to the congressional seat he won after the death of U.S. Rep. Charlie Norwood.

I am so tired of receiving mail and phone messages several times a week -- and it is not even close to election time. I have written to him several times asking that my name be removed from his mailing and calling lists. This has been to no avail. The mail and calls keep coming. My point is that if he cannot follow the wishes of a constituent on this request, he certainly will not follow what constituents want of him on major issues!

When I receive something with his name on it, I immediately put it in the shredder. However, I did open a letter recently. I quote: "I am a fierce advocate in Washington for cutting taxes and for cutting federal spending. I want to get rid of this wasteful nonsense in Congress." I believe he could begin by stopping useless mailings and phone calls. I don't even know his platform, but I can assure him that I will not vote for him, based on my feelings about those annoying messages and his refusal to remove my name from his contact lists.

Mary Frances Richards, Evans

The_Last_Word
The_Last_Word 04/22/08 - 05:43 am
There is only ONE way to stop

There is only ONE way to stop the letters - re-elect him!

htj
htj 04/22/08 - 07:53 am
If you re-elect him, you will

If you re-elect him, you will only perpetuate the nonsense.

The_Last_Word
The_Last_Word 04/22/08 - 08:06 am
I SAID - Re-elect him!

I SAID - Re-elect him!

tym0924
tym0924 04/22/08 - 08:44 am
I don't understand why

I don't understand why everyone is upset about this. People are always complaining about how their Congressman doesn't "stay in touch" with constituents and care about how they feel on issues for which Congressman vote. Then, someone like Representative Broun makes special effort to stay in contact with his constituents and everyone is complaining.

Dan White 04/22/08 - 10:10 am
I would like to know how much

I would like to know how much tax money Broun has used on his "franking' privileges in sending out all of these letters at my expense. I don't remember Dr. Norwood flooding my mail box the way Broun does. To eliminate the unwanted phone calls, I had my land line removed and use only my cell phone. No sales calls. No automated campaign calls. And, the people who really need to talk with me have my phone number! It's cheaper than having two phones. It protects my privacy and my evening dinners. I recommend to Ms. Richards and others fed up with Dr. Broun's annoying calls that she disconnect her land line.

unhappytaxpayer
unhappytaxpayer 04/22/08 - 11:13 am
At least he is in a political

At least he is in a political office and trying to do something good for his constituants! Unlike members of the Augusta Commission or Coliseim Authority! I wish we had more elected officials who actually work hard for the people who elected him!

426Hemi
426Hemi 04/22/08 - 11:59 am
When your receive an unwanted

When your receive an unwanted call, simply hit "delete" and the message will magically disappear; but only if you have a teensy-weensy device called an "answering machine." Works wonders!!! I do appreciate someone who is outlining their agendas for us to read, and assume those who are sporadically complaining are not of the same political party. Dinner at our home is NEVER ruined. Invest $15.00 and you too can be happily chowing when an annoying call comes your way.

Told ya
Told ya 04/22/08 - 12:40 pm
comment in newsletter

in newsletter expressing gratitude to constituents for election to the Congress.
events.3
-Political cartoons or graphics are prohibited.
-Materials (i.e. photos, logos, slogans)used in campaign literature as
well as specific campaign pledges or promises are not frankable.
-Members may not project themselves through an election cycle into
a future Congress.
-Members may not directly or indirectly solicit a constituent 's party
affiliation.
-Comments critical of policy or legislation should not be partisan, politicized
or personalized.
l Solicitations, promotions or endorsements (See Paragraphs 5, 6 and
17, and Chapter One, Paragraph 5)
-No solicitations for funds for or on behalf of any organization or person.
-No grassroots lobbying or soliciting support for a Member 's position
on a legislative, public policy or community issue. Members cannot
generate or circulate a petition under the frank.
-No material that advertises, promotes, endorses or otherwise provides
a benefit to an individual or organization not entitled to use the
frank. This would include commerical, charitable, non-profit and political
organizations as well as Congressional Member Organizations
4(a). Examples of Nonfrankable Items
l Personal or biographical Matter (See Paragraphs 8, 10, 14, 16)
-Autobiographical or biographical material of a Member, staff, or constituent

UncleBill
UncleBill 04/22/08 - 10:24 pm
Why, do you mean that Rep

Why, do you mean that Rep Broun may have inappropriately used the franking privilege? Shocking! Not only are the mails inappropriate, they are excessive.