Cameras will monitor flow of traffic

Columbia County residents need not worry about receiving a ticket in the mail after speeding under recently installed traffic cameras at the intersection of Belair and Cox roads.

Traffic cameras have been installed at Belair and Cox roads. The lights will change according to information that the cameras gather. The cameras will not be detecting speeders or cars driving through red lights.  Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

"They are definitely not red-light enforcement cameras or speed-detection cameras," said Bobby Cato, a county traffic operations specialist.

Installed last week above signals at the intersection, the cameras are part of a state Department of Transportation project to upgrade traffic signals and detection devices along Belair Road from Park West Drive to Washington Road, said Mike Keen, a DOT area engineer.

The cameras mainly detect traffic from side streets and left-turn lanes, prompting the signal to change, Mr. Cato said. Columbia County already has detection cameras for traffic coming out of Columbia Plaza at Davis and Washington roads and at the newly upgraded traffic light in Harlem.

The Belair Road cameras, which are not yet operational, will replace other forms of traffic detection, including in-ground pressure loops. Mr. Keen said the project, scheduled to be complete by late fall, also includes installing new control cabinets and tying all the intersections together with fiber-optic cable to maintain traffic flow.

Mr. Keen said he expects the cameras will switch on toward the end of the project once most of the other installations are complete.

"We don't even have a request for red-light running cameras," he said. "That is a totally different set of cameras."

Reach Valerie Rowell at 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

Ole School
Ole School 04/21/08 - 03:30 am
Homeland security , you guys

Homeland security , you guys keep up the good work ! One day I would like to work with you guys !

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/21/08 - 03:35 am
I think Red-light running

I think Red-light running detection cameras would be great! If you don't believe we need them and that there's a problem with people running red lights, then just start being more observant and you'll see what I mean. The worse place I've seen is when you get off of Bobby Jones Expwy. and wait to make a left turn on to Wrightsboro Rd toward the mall. The Wrightsboro Rd traffic will mow you down if you don't wait a few seconds before advancing to make your turn. Anyway, I can't see how anyone could not want any of these cameras.

pablanco
pablanco 04/21/08 - 03:50 am
what's up Big Brother?

what's up Big Brother?

stillamazed
stillamazed 04/21/08 - 06:33 am
I think camera's are a great

I think camera's are a great idea, perhaps they will deter some of the rude a---ed drivers we have in this area. Strange how law abiding citizens have a problems with cameras, huhhhhhh...

dani
dani 04/21/08 - 06:48 am
Another eye in the sky. For

Another eye in the sky. For those who are afraid of what the camera might show, perhaps you should avoid the intersection.

Chuchi
Chuchi 04/21/08 - 06:56 am
"New cameras at Belair and

"New cameras at Belair and Cox roads will help monitor traffic flow, not watch for people running red lights." Riiiiggghhtt. Well, in spite of the fact that I don't run red lights I will be avoiding that intersection like the plague. That area has lost my business. I don't like Big Brother watching me.

Moon Puppy
Moon Puppy 04/21/08 - 07:05 am
Well I'm sure that

Well I'm sure that intersection will miss your business...

lucky99mp
lucky99mp 04/21/08 - 07:07 am
I don't think you should have

I don't think you should have reported this. Let the drivers believe it to be "Red light" camera. It might slow them down. I also would support them.

wire99
wire99 04/21/08 - 07:21 am
Way got go Valarie! So what

Way got go Valarie! So what you're telling us is, "run those lights, the camera's won't catch you".. Why not let the public believe that they were red light cameras? Would it've hurt anything? Maybe made that intersection a little safer? Next thing you'll be telling people where the cops set up to give people speeding tickets!

drivertwo
drivertwo 04/21/08 - 07:50 am
Well this is the way I see

Well this is the way I see it. The cameras need to be used to monitor traffice, such as in all the idoits that do U-turns in the middle of Belair Rd. Blocking on coming traffice that are trying to turn on Owens Rd. People like me that are trying to drop off my children at Belair Elementary. This is an impossible task every morning because of these rude teenagers and parents, may I add, that are to lazy and inpatient to wait in the turning lane. I wish these cameras were watching every one of you and ticketing you all. Columbia County you need to do something about, before someone gets hurt!

Drewzone
Drewzone 04/21/08 - 08:10 am
Uh, you want me to believe

Uh, you want me to believe what?

scootwilkes
scootwilkes 04/21/08 - 09:12 am
I wonder if the camera is

I wonder if the camera is going to observe frustrated residents who live down Edwards Drive. During school hours, the possibility of making a right hand turn onto Belair Rd is impossible(your gambling w/your life attempting this move). Those idiots use the turn lane like it's their own driveways, and view us residents like we are the problem when we attempt to enter or exit from Edwards Drive. And don't get me started on our children who have to catch the bus at State
Farm. These drivers do not obey that big bus stopped w/the stop sign out and lights flashing. There is plenty of money for Columbia County officers to make catching violators M-F, starting at 6:55am.

Iceman
Iceman 04/21/08 - 09:33 am
If any of you think red light

If any of you think red light cameras are a good thing, just google "red light cameras cause more wrecks". People tend to make fast stops in fear of running the light, causing more collisions. Don't take my word for it, look it up. They are no more than revenue generators for the county that decrease safety.

Rose
Rose 04/21/08 - 09:39 am
Iceman that is no excuse.

Iceman that is no excuse. Drivers already know they should not run red lights.

dani
dani 04/21/08 - 09:44 am
Iceman-Just goes to show you

Iceman-Just goes to show you can't do much about stupidity.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/21/08 - 10:10 am
I proposed Red Light cameras

I proposed Red Light cameras for Broad Street three years ago. It was shot down due to idiot 'Big Brother' non-sense. They pay for themselves, reduce speeders, and law breakers, and generate funds for the Sheriff's Dept. WIN WIN WIN WIN.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/21/08 - 10:19 am
I like some of the traffic

I like some of the traffic lights in Europe where the yellow light would come on along with the green light a few seconds before the green light goes off... that way you have a warning that the light is changing and you could let off the accelerator and start slowing down before the light turns red

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/21/08 - 10:27 am
Aww, they probably just don't

Aww, they probably just don't want pictures being taken of visitors to places on the "lower" end of Broad. Might affect the "bottom line".

shivas
shivas 04/21/08 - 10:31 am
The time is truly coming when

The time is truly coming when living in this country will be like living in a Las Vegas casino (without the casino fun). Everywhere I go I see cameras; grocery shopping, clothes, restaraunts, govt. offices, neighbors dirveways. Next thing you know the government will have the right to listen into our telephone calls to make sure we a being good patriots. Of course, all this is making us safer, which is seen by our extremely low crime rate.

dani
dani 04/21/08 - 11:07 am
I doubt that there is enough

I doubt that there is enough eyes are ears in the world to watch and listen to every person. Even if you found enough employees , they would soon die from boredom. If only our lives were as exciting to others as they are to us........

imdstuf
imdstuf 04/21/08 - 11:16 am
I am all for the cameras if

I am all for the cameras if they make traffic flow smoother. I don't usually have a problems with the lights in columbia county, but I do not drive out there daily. The pressure loops seemed to work okay I thought. In Richmond County, instead of having lights turn green in a sequence, they have it so you get through one light as it turns green, then a 1/4 mile later you have the next light turn red on you.

gnx
gnx 04/21/08 - 11:55 am
Bring on the cameras! I'd

Bring on the cameras! I'd personally like to see all Columbia County intersections equipped with them and tickets issued for ALL those idiots who insist on speeding through red lights because they feel like they have to get where they're going the quickest way possible. I, personally, am tired of having to wait for six or seven cars to clear the intersection after my light has turned green in order to avoid an accident. Red light running is not an occasional incident in this county - it happens all the time at every intersection.

jasall18
jasall18 04/21/08 - 12:13 pm
I think you are all blowing

I think you are all blowing it out of proportion and need to just go on with life as normal.

cobweb
cobweb 04/21/08 - 12:18 pm
I'm just tired of people

I'm just tired of people tailgaiting me or speeding around me in the morning when I am going 25 through the school zone there. The school zone doesn't end at the intersection.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 04/21/08 - 12:26 pm
shivas...for once i can say i

shivas...for once i can say i agree with you.this is a huge waste of money, and most likely an "other places have them-why can't we " mentality.
brad owens....wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong...

What4
What4 04/21/08 - 12:41 pm
There is not enough traffic

There is not enough traffic in the dead downtown to warrant red-light cameras. The downtown needs the Cox Road cameras so that you are not sitting for protracted times at an intersection with absolutely no on-coming traffic in sight for blocks! We desperately need traffic engineers in Richmond County.

dbc
dbc 04/21/08 - 01:39 pm
I would be delighted if

I would be delighted if cameras were put up at the Bel Air/Columbia Road intersection especially focusing on the horror caused by folks coming out of the BiLo/McDonald's parking lot. That is, if someone would check the tape to see the irresponsible driving at that spot and so something about it. Someone will be killed there if something isn't done about that area soon . . .

iteach2
iteach2 04/21/08 - 04:18 pm
I hope these cameras help.

I hope these cameras help. If you've been through that intersection in the morning it's a nightmare with all the people trying to turn onto Cox Road so they can get to Evans High and Evans Middle. CRAZY!!!

Chuchi
Chuchi 04/24/08 - 07:03 am
Shivas! You are absolutely

Shivas! You are absolutely right! I am actually agreeing with you 100% --- holy cow! Somebody take the date and time! What most of us don't seem to realize is that when Uncle Sam places cameras everywhere it is the same as if someone is following you around and staring at you all of the time. Stalkers get arrested for doing that but it is perfectly legal for your government to do it. Someone argued with me once, "Well, if you're not doing anything wrong then you shouldn't mind being watched." My response was, "Well, if I'm not doing anything wrong then nobody should have to watch me."

CoachBishop
CoachBishop 04/26/08 - 06:48 pm
What's wrong with allowing

What's wrong with allowing speeders to think there being monitored?

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.