Paying for this?

There's a school in Minnesota where students gather for prayer each day and stay after school for "Islamic studies."

That's not so remarkable. America is home to many private and religious schools.

The thing is, Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy, or TIZA, is neither private nor "religious." It's a public charter school.

School officials claim the prayer is student-led and initiated. That's odd, considering the school was once K-5 -- meaning it supposedly had a bunch of 5- to 11-year-olds with the chutzpah to lead a school in prayer.

It's a ruse, of course, to dupe taxpayers into funding an Islamic school.

"TIZA is skirting the law by operating what is essentially an Islamic school at taxpayer expense," writes Star-Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten. "If TIZA were a Christian school, it would likely be gone in a heartbeat.

She's right -- and courageous for exposing the scam.

Charter schools, as Kersten notes, may do things differently than other public schools, but they are still public schools and must adhere to laws prohibiting the teaching or endorsing of one religion over another.

"TIZA has many characteristics that suggest a religious school," Kersten writes. "It shares the headquarters building of the Muslim American Society of Minnesota, whose mission is 'establishing Islam in Minnesota.' The building also houses a mosque. TIZA's executive director, Asad Zaman, is a Muslim imam, or religious leader, and its sponsor is an organization called Islamic Relief.

"Students pray daily, the cafeteria serves halal food -- permissible under Islamic law -- and 'Islamic Studies' is offered at the end of the school day."

"The prayer I saw was not voluntary," one of the school's substitute teachers told Kersten. "The kids were corralled by adults and required to go to the assembly where prayer occurred."

Belatedly, the Minnesota Department of Education is looking into the school's practices, as is the ACLU.

Of course, as Kersten points out, the investigation would have come a lot sooner, and the ACLU would have been much downright intoxicated with zeal, had this been a Christian school.

The school needs to be de-certified. They can have an Islamic school if they want. But they have no right to reach into taxpayer pockets to pay for it.

Not in the United States we used to know, anyway.

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 06:30 pm
I spent a long time trying to

I spent a long time trying to understand the logic. Sympathizing with the underdog is an admirable trait as long as the underdog is worthy of it. The United States has made a lot of bad decisions and done things they should not have. But there have been far more good and humanitarian things done by this country than evil. No credit given for the good that goes on bothers me.

JohnCarllStrauss
JohnCarllStrauss 04/21/08 - 06:55 pm
I understand, ksl. Nothing bu

I understand, ksl. Nothing bu hatred for the US is expressed.

Bizarro
Bizarro 04/21/08 - 08:07 pm
JohnCarlStrauss. You mean

JohnCarlStrauss. You mean "enema of the state" don't you? Maybe a good colonic will cure his insanity. He at least won't be so full of [filtered word]. Hee,hee.hee. By the way, Cain did expose your real name (I assume Strauss is your name) a few weeks ago in one of his tirades about your mocking moniker. I thought such is verboten. Ja.

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:11 pm
Hello Bizarro.

Hello Bizarro.

Bizarro
Bizarro 04/21/08 - 08:13 pm
LOL. Hello

LOL. Hello Kathysueloudermilk. Hope life is treating you well.

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:13 pm
Let me know when you read

Let me know when you read that so I can delete that. It's my alto ego speaking and I do try to keep her down.

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:15 pm
Assuming you read it, it's

Assuming you read it, it's going to be gone.

Bizarro
Bizarro 04/21/08 - 08:15 pm
People sure have been "testy"

People sure have been "testy" lately, eh? It must be the full moon or something. Haven't we had this conversation before. Dang Deja Vu.

Bizarro
Bizarro 04/21/08 - 08:17 pm
You are too nice for your own

You are too nice for your own good KSL. I need a big dose of that sometimes. I think I need a new moniker. I don't think people take my moniker seriously. Perhaps something like BuzzArmstrongGrouchoMarxistWashington

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:20 pm
Yep, we've been under the

Yep, we've been under the influence of the moon. Before, during, and after. Hope you are doing well, as well. I am well, except that some nut called for me to be exorcised from the R&R thread. That was fun. Well, I'm well anyway. All is well. Wish you well.

Bizarro
Bizarro 04/21/08 - 08:25 pm
Have you been stirring the

Have you been stirring the pot lovely lady or is that potting the stirrer? I am often just shunned or ignored. I need a good exorcism. I am a horny little devil. Hee,hee,hee. My bad.

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:30 pm
No, I am a react-er, not an

No, I am a react-er, not an instigator.

Bizarro
Bizarro 04/21/08 - 08:35 pm
I have a thermonuclear

I have a thermonuclear "react-er" which can reach critical mass and turn ugly. I try to keep it cooled down, but there is always some moron messin with my react-er rods and things heat up. It is really odd there is this logical side and this emotional side.

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:39 pm
lol. Don't you just love the

lol. Don't you just love the spellchecker?

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:40 pm
Plenty of morons posting

Plenty of morons posting here. I might be one of them.

KSL
KSL 04/21/08 - 08:42 pm
If so, my daddy wasted some

If so, my daddy wasted some money on my education. And my husband has wasted a lifetime of being married to me.

Bizarro
Bizarro 04/21/08 - 09:02 pm
Yep, I know the feeling. I

Yep, I know the feeling. I need to use a spellchecker. I am aghast at my spelling and grammar at times but not enough to bother.

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.