Fleming tops Broun in funding

Challenger Barry Fleming increased his fundraising lead over U.S. Rep. Paul Broun, R-Athens, during the first three months of this year as Mr. Broun spent much of the money he raised paying off debts from his last campaign.

Through the end of March. Mr. Broun raised about $202,200, according to documents filed Tuesday with the Federal Election Commission, and used $73,500 to repay loans he made to his campaign for last year's special election. His campaign still owes about $198,000, about half to himself and half to others, records show.

But Mr. Broun cut his campaign a check for $100,000 after the March 31 records deadline, spokesman Tim Echols said.

"We had hoped Barry Fleming would get out of the race, but it doesn't appear he's going to," Mr. Echols said. "It looks like we'll have to wait until after the (primary) election to make Dr. Broun financially whole again. We need all the money we can get to pay for signs, staff and other expenses."

A rumor circulated earlier this month that Mr. Fleming was dropping out of the congressional race, but he denied it.

"Barry is in this race to win it," campaign manager Cam Kirbo said last week.

Mr. Echols described Mr. Broun's fundraising efforts as "a pretty good quarter" and said Mr. Broun has scheduled two more Washington, D.C., fundraisers.

Mr. Fleming, a Republican state representative from Columbia County, reported raising about $216,000 and spending $107,000. More important, he has $596,000 on hand, more than five times the $116,000 Mr. Broun's campaign has in the bank, not including the recent loan.

Democrat Bobby Saxon raised about $10,000, spent $24,000 and has $14,000 on hand.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/17/08 - 04:55 am
Fleming has been tapped by

Fleming has been tapped by the local Columbia County good-ole-boys political machine to retake this office. This group was astounded that their previous "boy", Jim Whitehead, got beat by Broun and they don't want it to happen again. So, they're willing to pour money into Fleming's account to push him into office. Frankly, Dr. Broun has done almost everything right during his brief time in office and, I feel, he deserves to continue what he's doing. Broun is clearly his own man and doesn't represent a bunch of good-ole-boys from any area.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/17/08 - 05:50 am
Whitehead chose not to

Whitehead chose not to campaign and Broun beat him. Since Broun has been a pretty good representative, I think he'll be tougher to unseat then Fleming thinks. This is an example of needless party infighting.

rbk
rbk 04/17/08 - 06:02 am
I don't know why Fleming has

I don't know why Fleming has to cause division in the party and run against Broun. Broun is doing a good job and deserves our support. I don't know what kind of lawmaker Fleming would make, but see no point in changing when we already have a good one in there. I live in Lincoln County and have no ties to Athens, so don't think that is why I am for Broun.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/17/08 - 06:07 am
So Fleming has raised MORE

So Fleming has raised MORE money than a sitting U.S. Congressman? VERY Interesting. I wonder how many of those lobbyist paid for meals in Atlanta (where he charged the tax payer per-diem and salary days) helped get some campaign cash too? It looks like Barry has learned the Lobbyist Two Step, the Trial Lawyer Waltz, and the Fat Cat Boogaloo. We have the best politicians money can buy!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 06:39 am
It seems that all the

It seems that all the previous commentors missed the line that reads "Mr. Broun has scheduled two more Washington, D.C., fundraisers." Will the people attending and "donating" be from Georgia or will they be from elsewhere wanting something else?
If he can't raise the money here, that speaks volumes!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/17/08 - 07:48 am
Where did Barry's money come

Where did Barry's money come from Peanut?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/17/08 - 08:01 am
Good point, Brad. Fleming

Good point, Brad. Fleming likely killed two birds with one stone with those lobbyists. Give the maximum to me for state business, and, oh, while you're at it, give the maximum to me for my U.S. Congress campaign.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/17/08 - 08:17 am
Lobbyist get paid to get

Lobbyist get paid to get politicians paid and to vote thier way on issues that affect thier clients. Barry may have raised all that half a million right here in CC, but that is not likely. We have the best politicans money can buy!

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 04/17/08 - 09:32 am
The sound of his voice and

The sound of his voice and the negative message does not make Barry sound committed and confident. Quite the opposite with Congressman Broun's attitude even though he has not garnered the support of the machine and raised the same kind of money. Remember, he beat their man. That is what THEY remember. But, the people know what the money is all about and frankly, Congressman Broun is not a sell out.....obviously.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/17/08 - 11:43 am
brad, the vast majority of

brad, the vast majority of politicians are the best money can buy, they just won't stay bought.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 04/17/08 - 12:12 pm
I guess none you great

I guess none you great americans has ever donated to a campaign. The uninformed and defamatory posts that some of you put up here are hilarious. You have no idea what you are talking about. If you did, you'd spew some facts rather than the uninformed garbage you post.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 04/17/08 - 12:17 pm
With jaundiced eyes because

With jaundiced eyes because we have seen enough.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 04/17/08 - 12:26 pm
I get that, but is blanket

I get that, but is blanket cynicism really going to make this country a better place? If you have seen enough, run for office and see if you can change things.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 04/17/08 - 04:27 pm
Quite the contrary. I have

Quite the contrary. I have laid no blanket, and my eyes are not closed. The machine may even have the best intentions for the county, but only with their own. To get elected should not require Patrons unless you are in Russia and when people act like the job was their's, well, what does that say?

nahali
nahali 04/18/08 - 07:44 am
Actually, I'd love to see

Actually, I'd love to see Broun's PAC and lobbyist donations versus Fleming's. I already have looked over the FEC disclosures, though, so I won't be surprised, though you Broun people sure will. Fleming's money comes from Georgians - mostly individuals in the 10th district. Can't say the same for Broun. . . And two more DC fundraisers to go. Whoo, boy, y'all must be really proud of your "outsider" now, huh? He's living high on the lobbyist hog.