Police seize 43 tickets, charge six at Masters

When a ticket broker asked Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Gay to sell his Masters practice round ticket while he was on the Augusta National golf course, the deputy first ignored the offer.

But after being pressed a second time, Lt. Gay, who was dressed in plain clothes, decided to haggle.

"He said $40, and I said $60, so we agreed to the deal and I handcuffed him," Lt. Gay said.

In total, deputies seized 43 tickets from 14 different people during last week's Masters Tournament, according to Richmond County sheriff's Col. Gary Powell.

Six of those were arrested on disorderly conduct charges for selling too close to the Augusta National Golf Club.

All of the arrests were made during the practice rounds, which is typical, Col. Powell said.

Deputies would make arrests if they actually witnessed a sale take place. Otherwise, the subject was warned and any tickets held were confiscated, Col. Powell said.

Individuals are prohibited by state law from selling tickets within 2,700 feet of a venue where there are 15,000 or more in attendance.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

wildman
wildman 04/16/08 - 04:14 am
These arrests are a waste of

These arrests are a waste of time and effort, I'm not impressed.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/16/08 - 05:08 am
Me neither. Let the free

Me neither. Let the free market operate as long as the sellers are not disturbing the peace.

pizzato
pizzato 04/16/08 - 05:13 am
So they relaxed the business

So they relaxed the business license law for the Masters but don't sell your ticket within 2,700 feet?
I guess the National has a deal with the cops too? Mo money.

babybruin
babybruin 04/16/08 - 06:46 am
Really, why aren't the police

Really, why aren't the police arresting the hotel management for the criminal prices of rooms during this particular week!

usnvet
usnvet 04/16/08 - 07:19 am
There are murderers and child

There are murderers and child molesters running free and the cops are arresting ticket sellers?

UncleBill
UncleBill 04/16/08 - 07:23 am
So, do you think the people

So, do you think the people who advocate the free market are using the law to suppress competition?

captainscott
captainscott 04/16/08 - 07:36 am
DAYS before the Masters

DAYS before the Masters began, this newspaper published an article that detailed the state law concerning scalping, clearly stating the 2700 foot rule. It also quoted a sheriff's dept rep, saying that they weren't going to bother people that were selling/purchasing tickets, unless they were brazenly trying to circumvent the law. This idiot, who was stupid enough to to try and purchase one ON THE NATIONAL PROPERTY, got what was coming to him. The warning was published, he was warned, he took his chance anyway, lady luck wasn't with him. You people that will defend someone in a situation like this--you never cease to amaze me.

dani
dani 04/16/08 - 07:36 am
Why so grumpy this morning.

Why so grumpy this morning. Law-breakers are law-breakers. At what degree of crime does one begin to enforce the law?
Have another cuppa and smile. The cops are doing their job, if they didn't, folks would complain because scalpers are everywhere trying to get even more money for their (often fake) tickets.

captainscott
captainscott 04/16/08 - 07:39 am
Amen, Dani.......

Amen, Dani.......

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/16/08 - 07:42 am
So if you are 2701 ft away

So if you are 2701 ft away you are not a criminal. Stupid.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 07:53 am
The man was not selling, he

The man was not selling, he was buying. IMHO there is a BIG difference. No harm, no foul in that particular incident.

captainscott
captainscott 04/16/08 - 08:03 am
Flawed logic, Hypo--Jeez, I

Flawed logic, Hypo--Jeez, I hope you haven't reproduced. So, following your logic, if this guy had been attempting to purchase a ticket, on the course, from someone who was NOT an officer, and one of the Pinkerton guys saw this transaction, the buyer would scream " Hey, I wasn't breaking the law. I wasn't selling, only buying???"
So I guess the person who buys illegal drugs, isn't guilty, only the seller. The scalping law ( look it up, read it for yourself) clearly states that both the buyer and seller are subject to arrest, the tickets can be confiscated, etc.
And Riverman, it may or may not be a stupid law--not the point. It IS the law. If you think the law is unfair, breaking it is a moronic way to prove your point. If you're aware of the law, and you choose to break it anyway, be man enough to take responsibility for your own actions.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 04/16/08 - 08:22 am
As far as the hotels - its

As far as the hotels - its called free market and supply and demand. They have rooms - people can choose whether or not to stay in the rooms - if they choose to pay, then they can stay. Ever gone to a host city of another big event and tried to get a hotel? I have worked in the industry and will tell you, its worth every penny of the rate charged, guest are a royal pain during events like this and are NEVER satisfied with anything. Trust me, the hotels earn their money.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 08:37 am
CaptianScott, I just wanted

CaptianScott, I just wanted to make a point. So, I do apologize about the personal jab. Now see how I can attack you pesonally, instead of on the merits. Disagree with me all you wish, but believe me, you do not want to make it a personal thing. IDIOT

captainscott
captainscott 04/16/08 - 08:52 am
Good comeback, hypo--but I

Good comeback, hypo--but I noticed that you failed to address the argument...perhaps you concede??????

Fed UP with MCG
Fed UP with MCG 04/16/08 - 09:04 am
Congratulations on a job well

Congratulations on a job well done. It wasn't like they were not warned. Sorry buddy but, we won't be seeing you next year. Thanks for coming.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 09:27 am
We are making criminal out of

We are making criminal out of peole who for the most part, are honest hardworking citizens. The only crimes they committed was wanting to attend The Masters. By the way, IMHO your comparison of buying drugs and Masters ticket will not wash. It is illegal period to buy drugs, but it is legal to buy Masters tickets from someone. lol

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 04/16/08 - 10:09 am
Confiscate the ticket, remove

Confiscate the ticket, remove the owner from the list, escort them off the property, and be done with it. No arrest, no news.

augustalawyer
augustalawyer 04/16/08 - 10:19 am
It's just another of the rich

It's just another of the rich white people in this town using the police for their own personal financial interests. The Augusta National wants to keep out the average joe.

rufus
rufus 04/16/08 - 10:33 am
Always the rich white folks.

Always the rich white folks. Idiot

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 04/16/08 - 10:46 am
I really hope augustalawyer

I really hope augustalawyer was kidding. If not, I'd just point out that the average joe can get in the practice round ticket lottery just like everyone else. Despite what some people think, not everything is a race issue.

1beachbum
1beachbum 04/16/08 - 10:59 am
It's amazing to me what our

It's amazing to me what our citizens are concerned about. The law is the law, and if you break it, you pay the price. If you don't like our state laws...MOVE!

Farful
Farful 04/16/08 - 11:50 am
waste of time and money

waste of time and money

UNCLE T
UNCLE T 04/16/08 - 11:53 am
good job scott

good job scott

426Hemi
426Hemi 04/16/08 - 11:53 am
augustalawyer, are you really

augustalawyer, are you really one? Hope not. Anytway., who's the richest golfer on the course. A white dude? No, a "black" man; Tiger Woods. Is he really black? He talks like a white guy, and plays golf, like all white guys. I though he was a mixed bag (?) I'm an average joe I guess. Will Black Entertainment TV accept anyone other than black? I don't know; I don't watch it. Will the NAACP give me a break and stand up for my rights? Can there ever be a "White Entertainment Channel? Probably not-see previous sentence. Will you ever stop addressing yourself, and your kin-folk as the "average joe?" I've never received a pass to the Masters. Mainly because I haven't ATTEMPTED to get one. Too much hassle. I'd rather it be given to me on a silver platter, with a silver spoon, and not have to pay anything back to society; but that's another issue, for another day. Probably tomorrow.

426Hemi
426Hemi 04/16/08 - 11:57 am
augustalawyer, please excuse

augustalawyer, please excuse the grammatical errors in my previous post. I don't have a formal education, although it was offered. I didn't want an "offer," I wanted someone to say; "here is your degree. hope you go far with it." Please tell me you are not a bonifide lawyer...I feel the anguish.

God save America
God save America 04/16/08 - 12:29 pm
there is a scalping law so

there is a scalping law so just obey it . it applies to any sporting event not just the masters and was not passed by the masters or rich white people just stay at least 2700 feet away from the gates. as you know there people all around the course who want tickets so you can find people 2700 feet away to sell tickets too. this is a state law not a augusta , ga. law

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 12:35 pm
Thanks for the information,

Thanks for the information, we are well aware of the scalping laws. The point is because of 2800 feet, we have made criminals out of otherwise honest citizens. I guess all of you never speed right? It's the law, not just an Augusta Law, but ag.law.

God save America
God save America 04/16/08 - 12:53 pm
to hypocrites buying dope is

to hypocrites buying dope is a lot worse then buying masters tickets at ticket price. it's when you scalp the tickets that you brake the law. i think that if a person can afford whatever the price of the ticket is let him buy it . but he needs to stay 2700 feet away from the gate to keep everybody from going to jail.

whyme
whyme 04/16/08 - 12:56 pm
I apparently don't get it. If

I apparently don't get it. If you're not supposed to sell these tix, why are the buyers and sellers along the roadsides allowed to be there?