Trial is set in fake officer case

A June 23 trial date has been set for an Augusta man who has a history of impersonating a police officer and is now facing weapon charges.

The trial of Wycliffe Capps, who has pleaded not guilty and is in custody, will be in Augusta's U.S. District Court.

At a hearing Tuesday, U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge W. Leon Barfield told Mr. Capps' attorney that based on his understanding of federal statutes and case law, a July search of Mr. Capps' home was lawful.

But Judge Barfield agreed to give attorney Pete Theodocion 10 days to find a valid reason to change his mind.

Mr. Capps caught the attention of Richmond County sheriff officers as they were investigating the break-ins and arson at First Alliance Church on Ingleside Drive. Mr. Capps lived next door, the pastor and his wife told Investigator Robin Ashmore. Mr. Capps reportedly told both of them he was a law enforcement officer.

The investigators suspected Mr. Capps might have started a fire in the pastor's office on July 18, and they suspect he called 911 pretending to be the head of the Augusta based public defender's office. Investigator Ashmore obtained a search warrant for Mr. Capps' home and vehicle. Officers reported finding a storehouse of police paraphernalia and guns.

As a convicted felon, Mr. Capps isn't allowed to possess any weapon.

Officers found six handguns, two rifles, a shotgun and a machine gun at Mr. Capps home, according to the search warrant.

They also allegedly found crime scene tape, handcuffs, a Breathalyzer type device, a speed detection gun, a South Carolina Highway Patrol ticket folder and a card with the agency's codes, a Columbia County sheriff's badge and 10 flex-cuffs.

In his car, officers said they discovered a shotgun affixed to the roof, lights in front and rear windows, a police style radio mounted to the front console, and an attached decal that said "Caution K9 stay back."

After the search, Mr. Capps was indicted in state and federal courts on weapon charges.

The charges in federal court are punishable by a higher maximum sentence -- as much as 10 years in prison. The maximum punishment for the state charges is five years.

Mr. Capps has several prior arrests of impersonating a police officer.

One of the charges resulted when Mr. Capps, wearing a "sheriff" vest and carrying a handgun, tricked a young female motorist into stopping for him. A second attempt on another young woman failed.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

ANOTHER IMPERSONATION

One of the most recent arrests on charges of impersonating a police officer occurred April 7 at the Mayor's Masters Reception. Evan B. Campbell, 18, of Ridge Spring, S.C., is accused of attending the event dressed in a paramilitary style "sheriff" outfit, complete with handcuffs, pepper spay and a loaded 9 mm gun. Mr. Campbell is free on a $11,200 bond.

Rose
Rose 04/16/08 - 08:40 am
Any cop stops me, they better

Any cop stops me, they better have ID or I am gone.

karmakills123
karmakills123 04/16/08 - 08:52 am
Damn!...Based on everything

Damn!...Based on everything they found and his prior arrests how the hell can a lawyer try to stand up and defend him...put him away and that botton-feeder scumbag Theodocion with him.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/16/08 - 09:04 am
I had one pull me over on Old

I had one pull me over on Old Loisville road a couple years back. It was a beat up old Caprice or Crown Vic. The guy had his wife and kids in the car, and pulled me over on my motorcycle in the daytime by manually flashing his headlights. He was in a police uniform and asked me to stay until one of his buddies came. He never asked for ID, Insurance, etc... I asked why he was doing traffic stops with his family in the car, then said he has my tag number, and to send his buddies to my house if they want to talk to me. I left and never heard anything about it. I'd like to see the picture of this fake to see if it is the same person.

Rose
Rose 04/16/08 - 09:42 am
Double D look him up on the

Double D look him up on the Ga corrections sight. I have the link in my favorites. hold on.

Rose
Rose 04/16/08 - 09:47 am
Now why is he not on that

Now why is he not on that site and he has been in trouble before?

wasrcso
wasrcso 04/16/08 - 04:05 pm
This guy is an idiot. I knew

This guy is an idiot. I knew him in high school and I dealt with him a few times when I worked for RCSO. Total tool with a creepy police fetish. If he isn't on DCOR website, either he hasn't spent time in state prison or his info isn't available for some reason.

musikmakur
musikmakur 04/16/08 - 08:56 pm
he isn't on that site because

he isn't on that site because he has never formally been convicted of the crime. only others. and not only that, but this isn't his first affense of impersonation. he has been caught several times(all of which are on the chronicle's site) and has somehow seemed to "get out" of trouble. maybe it was the wannabe public defender in him that got him out of it....

charlesd
charlesd 04/17/08 - 06:00 pm
Musikmakur, You don't even

Musikmakur, You don't even know what you are talking about. I know this person to be a good guy. He was "SET UP TO THE MAX"
You haven't heard the end of this ! Wait 'till the FEDS get to this case. You are going to see some big surprises !!! GOD help RCSD, if he begins to talk.

P.S. LEARN TO SPELL

karmakills123
karmakills123 04/18/08 - 06:44 am
LOL.."set up to the

LOL.."set up to the max"........................who says that? What are you twelve??...thats(12) for the those who have trouble with letters.

musikmakur
musikmakur 04/18/08 - 06:57 am
i'd like to know what it was

i'd like to know what it was that i misssppellled...... and by the way, can YOU not read? "wait 'till the FEDS get to this case"....the feds are who have charged him. and also, i gradugated

musikmakur
musikmakur 04/18/08 - 07:01 am
the 6th grade twice, so don't

the 6th grade twice, so don't come here and play english teacher correcting grammar. and also, why do you think that wyk

musikmakur
musikmakur 04/18/08 - 07:02 am
ok, well for some reason the

ok, well for some reason the site won't let me post any more of that comment...but it was good!

charlesd
charlesd 04/18/08 - 08:05 pm
Musikmakur,You still don't

Musikmakur,You still don't get it ! His case is not the one that I was speaking of !! I really don't believe this show is near over yet. THE FAT LADY AIN'T SUNG YET !!!!!! There is an old saying...
"A HEAP SEE...AND A FEW KNOW>>Trust me,my friend !!!

musikmakur
musikmakur 04/19/08 - 05:11 pm
ok...i can gather that he has

ok...i can gather that he has some knowledge of something that can get him out of trouble and make it so that the sheriff's office can be as secretive and deceiving as they are(hahaha), but come on....after so many times of running around telling people that you are the police, how can you expect them to just keep on letting it go. i have had personal encounters with wyk, that just did not turn out well. and from the way they tell the story, it just doesn't look good for him. honestly, i don't believe he needs (too) much jail time, he needs to be institutionalized. but just as you have given me the opportunity to speak, i would love to continue this discussion, so please respond if you wish.

musikmakur
musikmakur 04/19/08 - 05:14 pm
and for the record, i do not

and for the record, i do not think that the sheriff's office is "secretive and deceiving"(that was a joke). i think very highly of the the overly decent deputies that work for Richmond County, but do not respect the dirty ones. after all, would you rather have a wannabe(like Wyk) running towards the flying bullets, or a professionally trained law enforcement officer? it's just sad, because every time i have ever seen him in public, or read about him, HE brings the trouble on himself!

John Stamm
John Stamm 04/25/08 - 11:43 pm
I remember Wyck Capps from

I remember Wyck Capps from Langford Middle School. He was 16 then and had the lights, radio, and all back then. He even talked like Rosco sometimes..