Brian Nichols case is a sorry travesty

Recently I sat in my living room, and the television network A&E was showing a repeat about what all murder suspect Brian Nichols is alleged to have done in 2005 in that Atlanta courthouse. Every time I think of those three shooting deaths, it makes my blood boil! The pain and the humiliation this case has caused the police and the court system!

Every time I think back on this in disbelief, it bothers me. How could one person cause so much pain for so many people? Nichols showed no remorse to anyone -- or did he ever have a regret? His only regret probably is that he didn't get away.

And now we're being told he is being accused of getting help trying to get out of jail with the help of jail staff. Who does this person think he is? Any people who tried to help him escape need to be charged as accessories to a crime.

Brian Nichols has made a mockery out of the judicial system, and Atlanta never will be able to live it down. You know it's bad when you can't feel safe in a courtroom that is surrounded by police, but one person gets away from them all.

Nichols' day is coming. If they find him guilty, I personally hope they put him in a maximum security cell with no windows, and he can rot.

I wish I didn't feel so affected by the Nichols case, but it's almost as if it shows me that crime pays at some point in time. Just look at everything he is accused of getting away with. It wouldn't surprise me if they made a movie out of it. I'm just waiting on that.

Tina Cloer, Augusta

christian134
christian134 04/16/08 - 06:00 am
Tina this is reality....Every

Tina this is reality....Every single day these vile criminals are walking the streets free because of a technicality. Free to committ more crimes just because we have a justice system that caters to the criminal and looks the other way when the victim cries out for help and justice.....

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 06:03 am
Brian Nichols isn't making a

Brian Nichols isn't making a mockery of the judicial system. He's exposing it for what it is. The problem of a lack of tort reform once again raises its ugly head. As long as lawyers control the state congress, don't look for changes.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 04/16/08 - 07:40 am
PT, you're right about the

PT, you're right about the lawyers controlling judges. Remember, though, Judges start as lawyers and they are ALL brothers and sisters! One of the biggest problems I have with this trial is it keeps going on. Everyone deserves a fair trial, but, when you have done something in public infront of so many witnesses that should make it a lot easier as the true victims also have rights.... AND secondary there's all the finiancial problems h's causing us, the other victims. He should have been unavoidably shot during capture..a lot less trouble for nothing.

justus4
justus4 04/16/08 - 08:22 am
The Nichols case is an

The Nichols case is an example of a dysfunfctional judicary. Nichols is behind bars. He, personally could not affect anything. Those idiots in charge of getting him a judge & trial & jury are the travesty. Problem is, prosecutors & defense attorneys want to use this case to further their careers. Thats YOUR system; be associated with a big named case & use it to benefits ones own credentials. Nichols is guilty, but still have rights. Thats YOUR system. However, his defense team is winning the battle over process. They have cost taxpayers over two millions and the trial has not begun. That took some doing because, my view is "let them eat cake." YOUR system is hailed as some great process of justice, well let's see how much will taxpayers agree before YOUR system collapses.

Jack09876
Jack09876 04/16/08 - 09:33 am
Patricia, this case has

Patricia, this case has nothing to do with tort reform, it is a criminal case. Justus, if the current system does not belong to you also, what is your system? The point is, it is your system just as much as anyone else's. If you don't like it, vote, get involved in legal aid clinics, write your congressman, go to law school to change the system from within, or do any one of a dozen different things that can create change in the system. Or just sit there and complain. I have a feeling I know which you will choose.

christian134
christian134 04/16/08 - 12:06 pm
What is YOUR system Justus?

What is YOUR system Justus? Whatever are you talking about.....I know I shouldn't ask but I can't help myself....:-)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 09:06 pm
Jack09876,aren't the delays

Jack09876,aren't the delays in this trial about all of the possible wrongs that may be done to Nichols "rights" and all of the possible harm that has already been done by the reporting of his actions? And isn't it about all of the investigations by an ungodly number of "investigative lawyers" working for the state or on contract to the state? And isn't the delay about all of the possible technicalities that may or may not be brought up about any rights of people that may or may not be even remotely connected to this case? It is a criminal case, but I see the state funneling millions to every lawyer on the block for almost any reason.

Jack09876
Jack09876 04/17/08 - 10:42 am
Patricia, yes to all of your

Patricia, yes to all of your questions. But that doesn't make this case a tort case or have anything at all to do with tort reform.

Turkeys get taste of own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.