DHEC cites improper food handling in illness
ROCK HILL --- State health officials say improper food handling allowed a bacteria to end up in barbecue served at a fire department's fundraiser, making around 70 people sick.
The (Rock Hill) Herald reports several dozen people handled the nearly 3,000 pounds of pork that was prepared for the fundraiser last month by the Tega Cay Volunteer Fire Department.
The state Department of Health and Environmental Control says the bacteria that made people sick is associated with improperly handling and storing food after cooking.
The illness causes abdominal cramps and diarrhea for about 24 hours.
60,000 bees in home have woman all abuzz
GREENVILLE --- A Greenville County woman is working with a beekeeper to rid her home of 60,000 bees living in the walls.
WYFF-TV reports that Jane Walcott is allergic to bees and has been sleeping with anti-allergy medication near her bed to give herself an emergency shot if stung.
Beekeeper Charlie Holden says it will take a few weeks to remove the bees, which he hopes to move to his home, where he keeps around 3 million of the insects in 50 hives.
Man sentenced to life for woman's killing
BEAUFORT --- A judge has sentenced Timothy Wick to life in prison without parole for raping and killing a 78-year-old Beaufort woman. Prosecutors had asked for the death penalty.
The Beaufort Gazette reports Judge Perry Buckner said he chose a life sentence because Wick had only one previous conviction for a violent crime --- an assault when he was 15 --- was abandoned by his mother and witnessed violence as a child.
-- Associated Press