Improvements list has hefty price tag

Columbia County commissioners accepted a proposed master list of capital improvement projects for a 2011-15 sales tax referendum. Though the list likely will be pared down, it is estimated to cost more than $190 million.

WHAT'S NEXT

After public information sessions during the summer and a final draft, to be prepared by October, a referendum for the new sales tax likely will be presented to voters on the November general election ballot.

CONTACTS

Reach the Columbia County Commission's main office at (706) 868--3379. For a map of commissioners' districts, visit www. columbiacountyga.gov, click on the government heading, go to elected/appointed officials and select commissioners and commissioner district boundaries.

SOME PROPOSED PROJECTS

Project.....Estimated costs

Widen Gibbs Road.....$2 million

Widen Owens Road.....$2.1 million

15 miles of dirt road paving.....$10.9 million

Blanchard Woods Park phase 2 (includes seven soccer fields, some restrooms and parking).....$6.5 million

Wildwood Park improvements.....$2 million

Evans Town Center Park.....$8 million

Savannah Rapids Pavilion renovations.....$1.5 million

Reed Creek Park phase 3 (includes an extension of the boardwalk, a bridge and outdoor classrooms).....$800,000

Bartram Trail Golf Course clubhouse.....$1.6 million

Additions to justice center.....$13.4 million

Acquisition of Water Works property.....$2.5 million

Georgia State Patrol post.....$2 million

Sheriff's office administration building and renovations.....$3.5 million

Detention center addition.....$6 million

Driver's training course.....$3.5 million

New animal control facility.....$2.3 million

Fire vehicle and equipment replacement.....$2.8 million

Economic development.....$2 million

Sources: Columbia County officials and government documents

-- Donnie Fetter, Columbia County Bureau Chief

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/12/08 - 07:36 am
A STATE patrol post for two

A STATE patrol post for two million?? I thought I had already paid state taxes. Locating the post on the edge of Columbia County by the interstate does absolutely nothing for law enforcement in Columbia County. By policy there is minimal patrolling in counties that have large police forces such as Columbia and Richmond Counties. The officers will be leaving the post headquarters and heading west to the rural counties in the district. A trememdous waste of Columbia County taxpayers money.

fd1962
fd1962 04/12/08 - 08:02 am
DIRT ROAD paving for ten plus

DIRT ROAD paving for ten plus million? FIRST we need to have the unpaved dirt roads paved which were voted on, approved, and the monies ALREADY collected for paving back in the 2001 and subsequent referenda! This has been a negligent disgrace by any standards. Perhaps Judge Wheale could investigate this mess as his swan song before retirement? The excuse of having trouble finding a 93-year-old lady to sign over 100' of right-of-way wore out five years ago.

workingmom
workingmom 04/12/08 - 08:49 am
I am glad to see that a new

I am glad to see that a new animal control facility will be built. They are in desperate need of a new place to house the numerous animals kept there. If you're looking for a pet, please take the time to look there first.

jack
jack 04/12/08 - 09:36 am
Where is the money to get rid

Where is the money to get rid of all the temporary wooden classrooms at the schools? I would say this is far more important than some of the frills they are going to spend money on.

fd1962
fd1962 04/12/08 - 11:44 am
Why, jack, how petty. You

Why, jack, how petty. You mean you aren't interested in thirty more soccer fields or additional lighting which burns twenty-four hours a day on unused tennis courts? Where are your civic priorities?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/12/08 - 03:52 pm
Geez, I love the power of the

Geez, I love the power of the pen, or keyboard in this case. Some questionable decisions pointed out here.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/12/08 - 04:42 pm
As far as the State Patrol

As far as the State Patrol post, didn't I read something on here awhile back that the state of Georgia would be kicking in money for it every year, and that in a few years it would be paid back? I'm not sure about this, but I thought it was something along those lines. I know I was rather surprised about it when I read it. I know I do remember reading that we'd be seeing more of the state patrol here in this area because of the new station.

aw8ngjustice
aw8ngjustice 04/12/08 - 06:23 pm
Just remember to vote against

Just remember to vote against it in November. Our taxes are way too high as it is.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/13/08 - 12:04 am
JustMyOpinion, a certain

JustMyOpinion, a certain Columbia County official suggested that the State Patrol Post could be paid for out of increased fines. The State Patrol was quoted in the Chroicle as saying they do not patrol in Columbia County that much. They said their focus is on rural counties in the district. Someone ain't telling the truth and I think I know who it is.