Across the area

Two explosion victims leaving rehab center

Two more people burned in the Imperial Sugar explosion were discharged Friday from Doctors Hospital's rehabilitation unit, according to a hospital news release.

Originally, the Joseph M. Still Burn Center received 20 patients from the February explosion at the plant near Savannah, Ga. Now, three employees remain in critical condition and one is in fair condition at the burn center, while two are in the hospital's rehab unit, the release states.

Teens charged in sex crimes against girl

An Aiken teenager has been charged with second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor, and an Edgefield, S.C., teen was charged with conspiracy to commit criminal sexual conduct with a minor after a game of "strip poker" with a 14-year-old girl spiraled out of control.

On Wednesday afternoon, three boys -- a 14-year-old, a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old -- arrived at the girl's home off South Carolina Highway 23. After letting the boys in, the girl played cards with the 14-year-old and the 15-year-old.

A police report said the 17-year-old, also of Edgefield, was outside. The victim told police the younger boys began pulling her clothes off against her will. She told police the 15-year-old boy held her down and tried to get her to perform a sexual act while the 14-year-old began having forced intercourse with her. The 17-year-old re-entered the home, saw what was taking place, and reportedly made the boys stop.

Man faces charges in abuse of 9-year-old

A 41-year-old Johnston, S.C., man, George Albert Jones of May Street, was arrested Thursday night and charged with first degree criminal sexual misconduct, the commitment of a lewd act on a minor and one other sex crime after Department of Social Services officials contacted police concerning the reported abuse of a 9-year-old girl.

Officials with DSS were contacted by Edgefield County Hospital officials after the girl was examined there this week.

Mr. Jones was being held at the Edgefield County Detention Center pending a bond hearing.

Armed robbery victim in serious condition

A convenience store owner who was shot in an armed robbery Thursday night was in serious condition Friday at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, said Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Calvin Chew.

Yong Won, 65, was shot in the upper chest about 9:30 p.m. Thursday during an armed robbery at his store, Goshen Grocery on the 1600 block of Goshen Road, according to a Sheriff's Office report.

Two men entered the south Augusta store wearing masks and brandishing handguns, the report states.

One of the men was caught on a surveillance camera shooting five rounds at Mr. Won. Two of those shots reportedly hit Mr. Won before the men fled on foot. Police were still looking for the suspects Friday.

-- From staff reports

Comments (31)

nonumberplease
nonumberplease 04/12/08 - 06:13 am

These A__holes need to be

These A__holes need to be caught and sent to the front lines
in Iraq. They can be bad A__es if they want to be and shoot
over there , but remember they are subject to get shot at also.
Let's start sending all these kind of people to the front lines!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/12/08 - 07:34 am

boys without parents are a

boys without parents are a threat and nuisance to everyone smaller then them. Their frustrated behavior almost always leads to trouble. Thanks welfare system.

workingmom
workingmom 04/12/08 - 08:42 am

I am in no way condoning what

I am in no way condoning what these young boys did, but why would a 14 yr. old girl be playing strip poker with boys apparently while her parents aren't home?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 04/12/08 - 08:53 am

Since welfare is to blame for

Since welfare is to blame for all the crime in the world, hence the government. Please enlighten me patriciathomas, what government entity is responsible for your racist, immoral existence.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 04/12/08 - 09:18 am

I raised a son and daughter

I raised a son and daughter mostly alone and did NOT get welfare and my son is a big guy but was not a bully.....but I thank you for your unknowing input. He's hardworking, gentle and funny and would even do something nice for judgemental people like you. He could teach you a few things about life. But, have a nice day anyway.

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 04/12/08 - 09:20 am

6:13AM Post-The people trying

6:13AM Post-The people trying to lead and keep our troops safe in Iraq and the troops themselves really need a bunch of loose cannons to watch out for in addition to their real jobs. How do you keep them from attacking friendlies? I will only support your recommendation if you will volunteer to go along with them to keep an eye on them.

JohnnyYuma
JohnnyYuma 04/12/08 - 09:26 am

i agree with patriciat, boys

i agree with patriciat, boys witout parents(orphans) are always a treat,nuisance and frustrated. Take them out to the wood and you know the rest. What's so funny about peace and understanding?

grizzilies
grizzilies 04/12/08 - 09:55 am

Blame the government but who

Blame the government but who put them there

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/12/08 - 10:51 am

pantherluvcik, to make your

pantherluvcik, to make your silly comment you first had to twist what I said. My comment was that boys without parents usually means trouble. The welfare check rewards unwed births and produces many boys without parents. Sorry for the confusion. Once someone becomes addicted to the social welfare lifestyle, I can see how they would take my comment as an insult. Guess what? Water is wet. Is that another fact that insults you? Once again, thanks welfare.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/12/08 - 10:53 am

kk, your children must not

kk, your children must not have grown up without parents. Good for you. I'm glad your children are doing well. It's the result of your effort. (by judgmental, do you mean people with an opinion?)

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 04/12/08 - 11:33 am

workingmom,i was thinking the

workingmom,i was thinking the same thing.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 04/12/08 - 11:39 am

My Prayers go out to Mr. Won

My Prayers go out to Mr. Won to recover ...May God Bless You!!!!

Godhelpusall
Godhelpusall 04/12/08 - 11:45 am

Patrica Thomas -- why do you

Patrica Thomas -- why do you feel like you must submit comments DAILY? I would like to be able to read story comments without having to read your opiniated "facts" and responses from the people who "judge" you. GET A LIFE and give the rest of us a BREAK -- please!!! Go for a walk, read a book, learn the beauty of silence. You do not have to voice, or in this case, write every fact and/or opinion you have.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 04/12/08 - 11:47 am

To the scared little boys

To the scared little boys trying to be big men... [filtered word] chicken craps that shoot someone for a few bucks.. You are pathetic excuses for human beings. Nothing but a couple of cowards... you wouldn't dare step to someone without those guns you losers. I hope you are caught, but if you are not, I pray your next crime victim, which there will be one, has a gun and puts a bullet in both your brains!!!! Someone knows who these lowlife are... turn them in or your are just as much of a [filtered word] as they are!!! And I hope one of their family members read this and relays the message. Cowards!!!

Godhelpusall
Godhelpusall 04/12/08 - 12:17 pm

How do we know that any of

How do we know that any of the people in any of these stories grew up without parents and are or were on welfare? Did I miss something? I believe it is extremely judgmental to consistently state that crime -- in any fashion-- is a result of single parenting or of the welfare system. I happen to take offense at your comments. I was a single parent, who used the welfare system as a stepping stone until I could further my education -- so that I would be better equipped to raise my sons. My sons are doing quite well. I am a high school teacher in a very affluent area (not in Augusta). I see teenagers every day -- who are being raised by two involved and concerned parents and have access to everything money can buy -- make wrong decisions. Parenting and money mean a lot. However, children and adults, still make their own decisions. We can only pray that in the end, they will come to see the errors of their ways. God Bless You!!!

I also pray that Mr. Won pull

I
also pray that Mr. Won pull through this. Mr. and Mrs. Won are to of the nicest people you will meet along with there son. This upset me deeply because I had spoken to Mrs Won the other day by phone. I lived in Goshen for four years and freguent there store almost daily Someone out there know the voice of the coward on the audio and the shapes of there bodies so do the right thing and get involved and turn them in even if if your child. I had so much respect for Richmond Law inforcement its just a matter of time before they get the little S...s. Keep up the good work Mr. Roundtree,Mr Peoples and the rest of Richmond Law inforcement. I also think, all the suppose to be bad asses out there should be send not to jail, but Irag with only the gun they used in the crime and see how long they last. Get a job you losers and stay in school so you want have to hurt people who are trying to make a living the right way. God is still watching.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 04/12/08 - 02:01 pm

Panther I agree with your

Panther I agree with your post to partriciathomas.

SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING
SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING 04/12/08 - 02:50 pm

first i would like to say

first i would like to say that goshen is a great community !! i have live here 11 years except for 1 area
which has been reported over and over to the police
and sherrifstrength alot of parents in the retreat
do not care or have any control over there children
they have been allowed to run amuck and get no punishment for what ever they do(some have fathers thatbeen on fire dept , and police soooo i dont get it if you talk to the parents you realize how the children are the way they are (vuglarity and such) most of us are very protective of each other (at goshen)and we are all praying for mr won...and for the trash that shot him to get what is coming to them,we ask that you all do to. if you read this and it relates to you dont get mad start rasing your children before they are on death row.

SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING
SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING 04/12/08 - 03:06 pm

let me make one more note {

let me make one more note { not to be to harsh
maybe the parents dont know there children are out
all hours of the night roaming around ...being destructive...and i said many not all ...have a good day
and again raise your kids , dont let computer ,tv and games do it for you!!!

JohnnyYuma
JohnnyYuma 04/12/08 - 03:23 pm

boys without parents,what

boys without parents,what about girls without parents
water is wet fire is hot
what crazy logic
hope you're never on anybody's jury

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/12/08 - 04:53 pm

SARA, I left two

SARA, I left two neighborhoods just like that section of Goshen you are concerned about. My empathy. It's like beating your head up against the wall, you try and try to do the right thing and everything backfires. CAUTION: To report crime and suspicious activity, do not call dispatch from a traceable number, do not give your name or have the police meet you at your house unless it is absolutely necessary. I finally had to get my children and I out of the crime areas, there was no more we could do. I figured when my relative in law enforcement moves out of the county, when he just lived around the corner from me, within a month of his neighbor's house getting broken into, and is trying to talk my mother out of her house a couple of miles away from me that she raised us in and talking me into moving, too, it was time to get out. He said I wouldn't believe the number of warrants that were being served in our area. I said, "Oh yes, I would, and I probably know who they went, too, also."I had a good idea by the number of murders over the years in a 5 mile radius. All last years murders in the county were solved, but there are some still unsolved cold cases. It has been scary.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/12/08 - 07:27 pm

My prayers go out for Mr. and

My prayers go out for Mr. and Mrs. Won. These are some of the nicest people I have met. My family and I have lived in the Goshen Plantation area for almost 10 years and visit their store frequently. My son and I had just stopped by there not an hour before this happened....scary to think about it now. I pray Mr. Won will be alright.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/12/08 - 08:00 pm

Godhelpusall, thank you for

Godhelpusall, thank you for your opinionated facts included in your comment that you posted. I shall give them the same respect you give mine. I feel from your second post that you totally misunderstood mine. Was that intentional or just your way of showing confusion? Either way, I'd say it pretty much makes your position clear. I fear for your students.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/12/08 - 08:02 pm

handofg, you don't think

handofg, you don't think water is wet? You don't think facts should be taken into account when applying logic? I think I understand your confusion. You have my condolences.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/12/08 - 08:03 pm

angie1961, thank you. I can

angie1961, thank you. I can think of no better support then your 2:01 comment.

SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING
SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING 04/12/08 - 08:51 pm

baroness thank you ...yes i

baroness thank you ...yes i found out the hard way ..
car tore up...the police who are hardly ever
are in here ...were nice enough to report back to the parents what was said .(and who said it)..thats why more people dont tell ( some officers) that work for force ..they.will go back and tell the person what you said.... you cant fight back if you cant trust the police. oh and they also
do not do the thirty day drive by like all other counties do(in case you wondering what this means ...our tax dollars are suppose to go for if problems are happening you can be put on a thirty day drive by where the police are suppose to drive by your house for thirty days...you can call but it wont happen.

joesimpson
joesimpson 04/12/08 - 09:39 pm

Who cares if someone posts on

Who cares if someone posts on here 200 times a day. I may not agree with her opinions but I will fight to make sure she is able to submit them. They do have places where you aren't allowed to express your opinion. China, North Korea and Iran come to mind. Make a valid argument, if you don't agree with her, but to say someone shouldn't post their opinion shows you have no argument and are grasping for straws.

SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING
SARATIRDOFBADPARENTING 04/12/08 - 11:41 pm

one last thing and then ill

one last thing and then ill shut up... baroness i respect and understand what you wrote ..but if you leave your home and move ...they win .... they dont deserve to win .... god bless ...peace be with you always}} also to what others are writing ...alot of messed up kids have two parents...point in question columbine kids had both parents living in house sometimes mom alone can do just as well or better

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/13/08 - 12:52 am

Only by stating that there

Only by stating that there are no absolutes can you make your points work. If one searches hard enough, one can justify any action. Only you can be honest with yourself, if you will.

CROSS CR33K MOM
CROSS CR33K MOM 04/13/08 - 12:30 pm

I am sure the parents of

I am sure the parents of these losers know that they did it...and are so proud! Good luck in prison boys....I am sure you will be well liked.... punks!

Augusta pensioners eye benefit increase

With an eye on the millions remaining in the city's oldest pension funds - its 1945 and 1949 plans - a handful of retired city and county employees are reviving a push to increase their monthly ...