Across South Carolina

State sees shortfall in tax collections

COLUMBIA --- South Carolina will collect $90 million less in taxes this year than anticipated, economists said Monday, a shortfall that will likely force lawmakers to tap an emergency fund for the current year's budget and trim spending or raise taxes for the budget they're now debating.

A slump in tax revenues that help make up the bulk of the $7 billion budget had been anticipated because of the weakening economy, but the shortfall projected by the Board of Economic Advisors was $40 million steeper than what was forecast last week by state senators as they crafted the spending plan for the next fiscal year.

"We've said for months that this year's projections for budget growth were far too optimistic, and unfortunately today those concerns were shown to be founded," Gov. Mark Sanford said in a statement.

National Guard unit begins return to U.S.

COLUMBIA --- The first members of a South Carolina National Guard unit deployed in Afghanistan are beginning to return home.

Members of the 218th Brigade Combat Team began arriving early Monday morning at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.

About 1,600 South Carolina guardsmen have been deployed with the 218th, which shipped out last April for a yearlong deployment in Afghanistan.

It was the largest single unit deployment from the South Carolina National Guard since World War II.

The team was part of a force training the Afghan National Army and the Afghan National Police. More than 100 guardsmen arrived on Monday's flight. The rest of the soldiers are scheduled to return by mid-May.

Severed hands, feet found in two homes

GREENVILLE --- Authorities in South Carolina are investigating the discovery of severed hands and feet at two homes about a mile apart.

Greenville County Coroner's investigator Scott Ramsey says the body parts were found early Monday in black plastic bags.

Greenville police Cpl. Jason Rampey says a woman found body parts near her apartment. A second person soon reported a similarly gruesome find inside a home about a mile away.

Cpl. Rampey says the callers are related, but he wouldn't say how.

Authorities aren't sure if the body parts are from the same person and wouldn't say which parts were found where. Cpl. Ramsey says investigators found very little blood.

-- Edited from wire reports

Just me 2
Just me 2 04/08/08 - 08:04 am
Call Grissom. He can tell

Call Grissom. He can tell you!

christian134
christian134 04/08/08 - 08:26 am
Evil so much evil.....

Evil so much evil.....

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/08/08 - 08:27 am
Who is Grissom? This really

Who is Grissom? This really is weird. I was flipping through the channels Sunday night and saw a show called "Dexter" whose main character of that name profiles serial murderers, but is cutting up people himself and rationalizing it somehow. I thought what sick mind thought this premise up? And now sicker minds are actually going to copycat it. Less than 24 hours later, I'm reading about Greenville's strange finds of body parts. I don't know if the person that did it ever watched the show, but it is still is a very strange coincidence, foreshadowing, or premonition, whatever you want to call it. I don't see any redeeming value in that show. At the least, I don't think it should be on what should be the local family channels.

christian134
christian134 04/08/08 - 08:53 am
Baroness you do not know of

Baroness you do not know of Grissom....Well let me clue you in to one of the best series on tv today...CSI based out of Las Vegas....The other CSI's are great I love them all but Grissom and his team started it all.....:-)

Rose
Rose 04/08/08 - 11:09 am
We watch the CSIs too, but it

We watch the CSIs too, but it is not suited for small kids. CSI Miami is our favorite.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/08/08 - 02:04 pm
oh, that's why the name was

oh, that's why the name was familiar, I try to catch the show when i can. Was thinking you meant a real person, that threw me. Thanks for letting me know. CSI Miami has the guy with the "puddin' face" and red hair that sticks his sunglasses on at the end of every show. He can't seem to be anything but kittycorner to the camera for close shots. That aggravates many of his viewers. If that is his best side, I think we might want to be spared the other. I like red hair on a good-lookin' guy though. Grin.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/08/08 - 02:05 pm
Rose, don't let them watch

Rose, don't let them watch "Dexter" on Sunday nights, that's the worst one I've run across lately. I hope it gets canceled.

swolf612000
swolf612000 04/08/08 - 08:25 pm
they might take it off

they might take it off network tv, baroness, but "Dexter" is currently running it's new season on Showtime. That's why it's so much "worse" than regular tv fare - it was meant for a later prime-time slot on a premium channel.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/10/08 - 09:26 am
thanks, swolf, I think it's

thanks, swolf, I think it's kind of perverse that they would put it on Sunday night, primetime.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...