HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL
Hephzibah standout to represent school
Hephzibah's Jasmine Judge has been selected to represent the school in the girls Senior State North/South All Star Game today.
The game will be held at 2 p.m. at Savannah State University. She is one of 10 players voted on by coaches to represent the state's south region squad.
The cost of attendance is $5.
Gamecocks in 2nd; Pacers tied for 11th
In Greenville, S.C., USC Aiken shot 10 over par in the second round and is tied for 11th at 25 over par at the Furman Intercollegiate.
The event was suspended with several teams still on the course. South Carolina was in second at 2 over par, one shot back. Clemson was eight shots back in third. Both teams were still on the course, while leader Chattanooga had finished its round.
Clemson's Kyle Stanley , who finished 13 holes and was 4 under par overall, leads by two shots.
- In Albany, Ga., Philip McLain , of Evans, and Michael O'Grady , of Martinez, shot 3-under-par 69 to reach even par and moved up a spot to eighth place, eight strokes back, in the championship flight after the second round of the 20th annual Georgia Four-Ball.
In the third flight, Rob Bissell and Mike O'Rourke , both of Evans, shot 69 to move up six spots into a tie for third at 1 over par, five strokes back.
In the seventh flight, Jim Brown , of Evans, and Sam Smith , of Macon, shot 78 and are in third at 7 over par, four strokes back.
Jaguars win before the weather sours
Inclement weather prevented Augusta State from completing its doubleheader with Georgia Southwestern on Saturday, but the Jaguars were able to defeat the Hurricanes, 7-6, before the bad weather arrived.
Kevin Owens hit a first-inning home run, and three players finished with two hits for the Jaguars, who led 5-0 after two innings.
- In Chestnut Hill, Mass., a grand slam by Brad Feltes highlighted a seven-run seventh inning, and Feltes added a three-run shot in the eighth to lead Georgia Tech to a 13-2 win over Boston College in Game 2 of a doubleheader.
In Game 1, Tech won 5-2. Former Greenbrier standout Jeff Rowland was 2-for-4 with two runs and an RBI in both games.
- In Starkville, Miss., Stephen Dodson pitched seven strong innings, and Gordon Beckham and Matt Olson hit home runs, as Georgia notched a 5-1 win over Mississippi State.
It was Beckham's Southeastern Conference-leading 14th homer of the season.
- In College Park, Md., Clemson outhit Maryland, but the Terrapins took advantage of two Tiger errors to earn a 5-3 victory.
The two errors led to three unearned runs.
- In Columbia, for the second time in 11 days, James Darnell belted three home runs to tie a South Carolina school record, leading the Gamecocks to a 13-7 win over Kentucky.
South Aiken's Phil Disher and Reese Havens also homered for South Carolina.
Roddick off to his best start in 3 years
In Key Biscayne, Fla., sixth-seeded Andy Roddick hit a creative, backhand cross-court winner from a defensive position in the final game, wowing the crowd and leading to a 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 win over qualifier Viktor Troicki .
Off to his best start in three years, Roddick improved to 16-3.
Five seeded men lost, including No. 21 Lleyton Hewitt , beaten 6-3, 7-6 (4) by Jose Acasuso .
In women's play, Lindsay Davenport won 6-2, 6-1 over Camille Pin .
Boat capsizes, two sailors are injured
In Lorient, France, two sailors from Alinghi's America's Cup crew were airlifted to a hospital after their boat capsized in training.
Crewmen Piet van Niekerk and Francesco Rapetti escaped serious injury after the 60-foot trimaran capsized.