Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
- The Southern Express 11-under travel baseball team is looking for new dedicated players. Pitchers are a plus. If you have any questions, please call Mell Brantley at (706) 399-6212 or (706) 592-1318, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- The 13U East Coast Stingers travel baseball program will be holding tryouts for players within 100 miles of Augusta. They are looking to add three or four players. Please call John van Haastrecht at (706) 589-8292 for more information.
- The 13-under Cyclones AA travel team is recruiting dedicated players for competitive baseball. Participants cannot turn 14 before May 1, 2008. Interested players should call coach Mark Mikos at (803) 502-0599 or (803) 640-2693.
- Masters City Little League is now registering players ages 13-18 for the 2008 season. Registration fees are $45. The first game will be in the middle of May. For more information, call Robbie Silas at (706) 840-0680.
- Chain Baseball will hold its first annual Masters Baseball Camp from April 7-9 for ages 8-12. Cost is $100 per player. Camp runs from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. All campers need to bring their bat, glove, and cleats. For more information, call (706) 993-7475.
- The Evans High School baseball program is honoring the "1959 Evans High School baseball team" on April 15 prior to the game vs. Lakeside. Players from that team will throw out the ceremonial first pitch and will be treated to a reception during the game. If you were a member of that team and would like to participate, contact Tom Millward at (706) 840-3061 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advantage basketball camps are accepting registration for Spring Break Camps 2008. There will be a two-day camp on Saturday and Sunday, and a five-day camp running April 7-11 . Each camp runs from 9 a.m to 5 p.m. daily. The ball handling, offensive court awareness, defensive and shooting camp will be held at Mt. Paran Church 1700 Allgood Road Marietta, GA 30062. For more information, call (404) 345-6024 or visit www.advantagebasketball.com.
- The Haydens All Star Twisters Cheerleading Program will hold auditions/tryouts at 7 p.m., April 18 at Haydens Cheerleading Academy, 4300 Evans to Locks Road in Evans. Experience is not necessary. For additional information, contact Leslie Anderson at (706) 955-8395, (706) 868-0608 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Former Georgia Bulldogs star Danny Verdun Wheeler will hold a football camp on April 19 at Sweetwater Park in Thomson from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The camp will feature group sessions, speed training, an NFL mini combine, lectures and an autograph session. Registration is at 9 a.m. and cost is $35. All campers are required to have a completed and signed parental release form before participating. For more information, call (706) 564-4780 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Augusta Association of Football Officials Inc. is accepting applications from those interested in officiating high school varsity, junior varsity, middle school and recreation league football. Please contact Chip Huffman at (706) 564-9878 or Marc Shinault at (706) 288-6088, e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Waynesboro Country Club will play host to a three-man scramble on Saturday and Sunday . The tournament will be a 1:30 p.m. shotgun start both days. Cost is $225 per team and $75 per player. The field will be limited to the first 40 teams signed up. To sign up or for more information, contact Hank Tinley at (706) 554-2262.
- The Augusta State University Alumni and Friends Lauderdale Championship will be held at Forest Hills Golf Club on April 18 . The tournament will feature women, senior and open divisions. For entry forms, call Michelle Ellington (706) 667-4710.
- The Augusta Municipal Golf Course is looking for anyone interested in a golf league. The format is a two-man scramble in match play competition. League play will be held on Wednesday afternoons at 5 p.m. beginning April 23 . For more information, call (706) 731-9344.
- The second Relay for Life Golf Tournament will be held April 28 . It will include two tournaments at Woodside's The Reserve Club. Last year's event raised more than $9,000. Lunch will be served on the course, and there will be a 19th hole with heavy hors d'oeuvres. The tournament will feature a 10 a.m. shotgun start. For more information, contact Jenny Lind McRae at (803) 617-0862.
- The first Integrity Golf Classic will be held on April 28 . There will be a 1 p.m. shotgun start and will feature a four-man scramble. For more information, call (706) 210-7676, (800) 763-4222 ext. 9, or e-mail email@example.com.
- The Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue will play host to a tournament benefitting the Muscular Dystrophy Association on May 12 at Jones Creek. The tournament is a four-man scramble with best ball. Cost is $65 per player and $260 per team. There will be a morning and afternoon flight with 18 teams in each flight. Shotgun starts are at 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. For more information call (706) 831-1308.
- The Jessye Norman School of Arts will play host to a benefit tournament May 13 at Belle Meade Country Club in Thomson. The event will be sponsored by the Knox Foundation and proceeds benefit an after-school program targeted to inner city youth in Augusta. Lunch will be served at 11:45, prior to 1 p.m. shotgun start. Prize for a hole-in-one is a Dodge Dakota pickup, provided by Thomson Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep. For more information, call (706) 737-4322 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Augusta Symphony Golf Classic will be held on May 19 at Belle Meade Country Club. Registration is $100 for individuals and $400 for a foursome. Deadline for registration is April 30 . Hole sponsorships are available. To register or for more information, contact Beverly Smith at (706) 826-4704 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Spirit Creek Educational Forest, Phinizy Swamp Nature Park and Pendleton King Park will hold the Green Trails Trilogy, a series of races in the Augusta area. Second in the series is the Seventh Annual Swamp Stomp 5K at Phinizy Swamp Nature Park on April 19 to benefit the Southeastern Natural Sciences Academy. The last leg is the Fourth Annual Arbor Day 5K at Pendleton King Park to benefit the Central Savannah River Land Trust. To learn more, contact Rick Herring at (706) 951-3638 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The city of Thomasville, Ga., and the Thomasville YMCA will sponsor three upcoming events. The first is the 27th Annual Rose City Walk on April 19 . The walk begins at 8:30 a.m. The fee for pre-registration is $14 and ends on Saturday. Late registration is $16. There is no race-day registration. Only individuals 13 and older can participate. The second is the 31st Annual Rose City 10K Run on April 26 . The run begins at 8 a.m. The pre-registration fee is $14 and ends April 12 . Race-day registration is from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. The late registration fee is $16. The third is the 29th Annual One Mile Run for runners 12 and under on April 26 . The run begins at 9:30 a.m. Pre-registration is $8 and ends April 12 . No late or race-day registration. T-Shirts and mugs will be awarded to all 5K walkers and 10K runners who complete the course. One-mile runners will receive a T-shirt and gold medal. For more information, call (229) 226-9878.
- The Alleluia Glory Run 5K will be held on April 26 at 8 a.m. Kids are invited to race in the 1-mile fun run/walk at 9 a.m. There will be a Tot Trot for preschool aged children. Pre-registration fee is $15, and pre-registration ends on April 15 . The cost is $18 after that date. For more information, call Dian Conkright at (706) 796-2929.
- The Augusta Arsenal Soccer Club is looking for several additional players for its U11 boys teams for the spring (March-May) season. Players are eligible for this age group if they reach their 11th birthday on or after Aug. 1, 2007. To learn more, parents can contact Kevin O'Kula at (706) 727-0488 on weekends or after 6 p.m. on weekdays.
- The town of Jackson will be taking registration for girls softball Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. All children in the Jackson and Beech Island area are encouraged to register.
- A local 12U travel team is looking for a strong and experienced pitcher for the upcoming season. The team, based out of North Augusta, plans to play in tournaments throughout South Carolina and Georgia. This player must be dedicated, willing to work hard and be a team player. For additional information, contact Tim at (803) 279-8439 or (706) 832-6100, Kenny at (803) 613-1526 or (803) 221-9468, or Jimmy at (803) 663-6101.
- The Georgia Rockers 10U travel team is looking for girls interested in playing fast-pitch softball for the 2008 season. If you are at the age of 9 or 10 on Jan. 1, 2008, and are interested in playing, contact Ike Branch at (706) 373-9581 or (706) 860-3886.