Perhaps all neighborhoods should share homeless burden

I represent members of HONGKONG (Harrisburg Organization Networking for Gentrification to Keep Our Neighborhood from becoming a Ghetto) who live near Mercy Ministries. On March 18, we submitted a petition to the members of the Augusta Commission asking them to relocate or shut down Mercy Ministries, a homeless day shelter in our residential neighborhood on the corner of Crawford Avenue and Fenwick Street. Now, we are waiting for justice.

The only way that it will be acceptable to have a homeless shelter in a residential location would be to require every neighborhood in Augusta to share the burden of "hosting" the homeless population. The homeless would have to be equally divided among neighborhoods. The Summerville neighborhood, the downtown business district and the Riverwalk area must also be included. That is the only compromise that we are willing to accept.

We are interested in how residents of all other Augusta neighborhoods feel regarding this matter.

Butch Palmer, Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/30/08 - 07:25 am
Ignoring the homeless makes

Ignoring the homeless makes as much sense as trying to scatter them all over the city. They're homeless. The ultimate free spirits. If the shelter is relocated, where do you suggest it go? Crawford and Fenwick is close enough to the bridges to allow the homeless to eat with only a short walk and still close enough to downtown to not take the homeless away from their major source of income. If you want to improve Harrisburg, close down the crack houses, the pit bull breeding houses and the Mexican flop houses. Address the hookers and unemployed "young men" that roam the streets endlessly looking for someone to hassle or something to steal. The homeless are by far the least of your worries.

christian134
christian134 03/30/08 - 07:51 am
Right on target

Right on target patriciathomas but I would like to add just a little something more. To the established churches that are wanting to leave the area because of the unhealthy element; this is a message to the criminal element that even God doesn't care so they will continue to set up shop and reek havoc unpon the decent law-abiding citizens. Everywhere you look now in Harrisburg gang activity is rampant and rising daily. Churches stay put and become a participant in the community instead of a deserter.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 03/30/08 - 09:35 am
I must have a fever. I agree

I must have a fever. I agree with everything that PT posted with the exception of the " Mexican Flop Houses" part. And the only reason I cannot say I agree with that part is, I do not know what a " Mexican Flop House" is.

momofthree
momofthree 03/30/08 - 09:44 am
Personally I voulnteer at one

Personally I voulnteer at one of the shelters located in that area, and I have to say that Butch Palmer should go and do some voulnteer work at one some time. Palmer you are a looser and I hope I never have to share a neighborhood with you, you make me sick.

WW1949
WW1949 03/30/08 - 10:09 am
I work in the Harrisburg area

I work in the Harrisburg area and I know of no Mexican Flop Houses. I do however see people who walk the streets, sit on the curbs drunk at the corner store, hang out drunk in front of Mom and Pops and wait for the check to come in the mail box. This goes on on the streets closest to Broad street between Milledge and Crawford. It does no go on as much on the streets close to Walton Way. I hired two of the people last week. One worked two hours and left and the other worked one day. I also found out no one in the family even worked. You can't help these type of people and I do not want them in my neighboorhood.

myheart
myheart 03/30/08 - 10:16 am
I lived in Harrisburg in the

I lived in Harrisburg in the 60's and it was an ok place but even then had a reputation for being home to a rowdy bunch.Now it's home to a lot of crack dealers, especially on Wrights Ave. That is why the neighhood is "a known drug area". Take out the drugs and the prostitues and the gangs and you have a nice place again. Homeless people are just that... homeless. Most have mental illness and other problems. The are not selling crack like your neighbors are. Focus you energy on law enforcement to clean up the drugs. And then volunteer at the center to give these folks some stylish cuts!

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 03/30/08 - 10:46 am
Now that's funny right there,

Now that's funny right there, Butch Palmer giving away haircuts to the homeless...hahahahahahahahaha

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 03/30/08 - 10:53 am
How is this person planning

How is this person planning on keeping the homeless out of his neighborhood? Is there some anti-homeless device out there, that will notify the police and HONGKONG posse?

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 03/30/08 - 10:57 am
Watch out Columbia County.

Watch out Columbia County. Once they run the homeless out of Harrisburg, they will be coming to a neighborhood near you. But, then again, you all can get Pam Tucker to install an Early Warning Homeless People Approaching device.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/30/08 - 11:21 am
No thanks, Butch. Shelters in

No thanks, Butch. Shelters in neighborhoods are not the answer. A nuber of publicly and privately supported individual apartments available for women and families but dormitories for single men AWAY from residential neighborhoods for single men, that's the way to go.

dani
dani 03/30/08 - 11:22 am
How can you expect to set up

How can you expect to set up shelters so far from downtown? If you build it, they won't come. A shelter must be in a convenient location and the homelss seems to historically follow the area between the river and the canal. What was wrong with the Telfair St location or the lower area of downtown? Just asking.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 03/30/08 - 11:47 am
I seen the other day that

I seen the other day that wasn't anyone buying them over priced condos in North Augusta. Why not give them to the homeless and then they can walk right there to that nice wine store and get their buzz on and hang out in the bar in the basement..

iletuknow
iletuknow 03/30/08 - 11:56 am
Surely you mean HONGCONG

Surely you mean HONGCONG
(Harrisburg Organization Networking for Gentrification to Change Our Neighborhood from a Ghetto)

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 03/30/08 - 12:10 pm
That is a very good

That is a very good suggestion about the N Augusta condos. They sold at a price that is attractive to be used as section 8 housing. HUD has the money earmarked for the homeless. The homeless could live in the condos and keep the grounds at the golf course.
Momofthree stated that they worked at one of the shelters in the area.....Mercy Ministires is the only one in the area.....myheart stated that the homeless are not selling crack but they are using crack and they steal to be able to get the money to buy crack. Ask the clear in the family dollar on Walton Way or the Kroger on 15th...Talk to a deputy who rides the area about the homeless. Many of the homeless contribute to much of the problems in the area.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 03/30/08 - 12:11 pm
That H.O.N.G.K.O.N.G website

That H.O.N.G.K.O.N.G website is very informatiove
www.hongkongaugustaga.org

dani
dani 03/30/08 - 01:19 pm
What is wrong with the web

What is wrong with the web site. Can't get to it.

gcap
gcap 03/30/08 - 01:43 pm
HYPOCRITES2008, don't suggest

HYPOCRITES2008, don't suggest for a moment that the homeless crackheads should come to Columbia County. Those who survive the armed residents will be locked up. As one who cares deeply for the comfort and safety of the homeless, I strongly recommend to them that they remain in Richmond County where their numbers are strong, their influence is deep, and the citizens just lock up and pray for another day.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 03/30/08 - 01:48 pm
The woman who rins mercy

The woman who rins mercy ministries lives on an estate on Stevens Creek road. That is what I read at www.hongkongaugustaga.org although for the last couple of hours www.hongkongaugusta.org web site has been down. Try it again tomorrow.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 03/30/08 - 01:55 pm
You all are playing a mind

You all are playing a mind game. Homeless people are people who are without a roof over their head for one reason or another without a means to pay. So if the organizations treat the problem and not the symptom, then there would not be so many roaming the streets and getting their "fixes" as some are accused of. They need training, but if they are not willing to accept it, then why place a roof over their heads when they are clearly enjoying their freedoms? If they are trying to get an address, well, then a job should be able to follow or at least the training for a job. But the problem is still the cuts in transportation for them either way you look at it.

peppermintpatty
peppermintpatty 03/30/08 - 01:57 pm
I have followed the Mercy

I have followed the Mercy Ministries story, and feel the pain of any neighborhood having to deal with a homeless day shelter in their midst. I also know the H'burg neighborhood and all of the other issues that the residents are fighting. Why couldn't the people of this shelter work for the clean-up of the neighborhood, instead of hanging out all day? They could be registered workers for the area with this mission, identified by wearing a MM lanyard with a photo ID. After all, they show up everyday for a hand out. There is much clean up to be done in the area beginning with garbage pick-up in the alleys, and along the roadways. When they are done with their work everyday, they then would eat, bathe, and wash their clothes. To my knowledge these are the services that are provided to them anyway. You don't work, you don't eat. I believe the Bible speaks of this in 1 Thessalonians. Those who do not want to follow a structured supervised plan could be asked to leave the neighborhood by the people who truly come to the ministry for help. Harrisburg residents could post job help that they need on a bulletin board in the Ministry. The grant they receive could pay for this.

whyme
whyme 03/30/08 - 02:04 pm
I appreciate the concerns

I appreciate the concerns that this writer has regarding the type of people coming into his neighborhood. However, as someone who works with and for the mentally ill, Mercy Ministries offers home to the homeless whose families will not help find a home. Is it this neighborhood's responsibility? No. Should a family member take their potentially dangerous patient home when we discharge them from Regional? No, but they could at least offer to be involved in placement elsewhere. We do NOT discharge patients to the streets-our social workers work extremely hard to find safe living arrangements for all, regardless of income. Unfortunately, many just leave. I can't say that the other local hospitals try as hard as Regional. I stand behind my comments
regarding MCG's care of the indigent-no, I am not one of them but I do advocate for their better care. Try it yourself-call for an appt. and when they find you have no$, you will either get no appointment or one that is much farther out than if you had $.

peppermintpatty
peppermintpatty 03/30/08 - 02:08 pm
....cont. This would weed out

....cont.

This would weed out the good from the bad. Enabling their lifestyle would STOP, WITH A DAILY WORKPLAN IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD IN WHICH THEY COME TO. The true hustlers and panhandlers would go elsewhere.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 03/30/08 - 02:59 pm
peppermintpatty ....Your idea

peppermintpatty ....Your idea is great but according to www.hongkongaugusta.org t Many of hose who they call the homeless who go to Mercy Ministires are a bunch of no accounts.
They talk about the lot behind the Walton Way wines and spirits. They say that all of the trash piled there between the bushes was put there by the homeless dope heads and alcoholics. I have read past there and seen the same bums who go to Mercy Ministries coming out of the bushes.
They are not happy unless they live in trash. Please everyone go to see it for yourself.

jack
jack 03/30/08 - 03:11 pm
Hypocrap, a Mexican flop

Hypocrap, a Mexican flop house is any residence with over a dozen illegal alien Mexicans living there.

jack
jack 03/30/08 - 03:15 pm
Crazy, they wouldn't live in

Crazy, they wouldn't live in those ugly condos long beause the N Augusta police would clean them out in a hurry with their drunkeness and drugs.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 03/30/08 - 03:15 pm
That H.O.N.G.K.O.N.G. website

That H.O.N.G.K.O.N.G. website www.hongkongaugusta.org is too cool. They list the board of directors of the Mercy Ministriees
Frankie Ring

EMAIL: happy373@toast.net

G. Michael (Mike) Hall, CPA
EMAIL: gmh@hallassociatescpa.com

peppermintpatty
peppermintpatty 03/30/08 - 03:23 pm
just wondering if Mercy

just wondering if Mercy Ministries has the proper zoning to house mentally ill in a residential neighborhood. Is there an administrator there 24/7? like the VA houses in the neighborhood? Might want to check into it.

dani
dani 03/30/08 - 04:43 pm
I think it is just a place

I think it is just a place where they serve a free lunch and not a place to sleep, is that correct?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/30/08 - 06:03 pm
Hypo, I've noticed every time

Hypo, I've noticed every time you agree with me you're right and every time you disagree you're wrong. What's up with that?

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 03/30/08 - 06:42 pm
PT, what do Rush and Ann say

PT, what do Rush and Ann say to do with the homeless? Or do we need O'Reilly to get direction on that?