MCG makes top 100 hospitals list again

Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics now knows where it stands clinically and financially: right at the top.

Officials with the hospital's operating company, MCG Health Inc., celebrated Wednesday after being named one of the 100 Top Hospitals by Thomson Healthcare, formerly called Solucient.

In a meeting of its executive committee, MCG Health board members also approved moving forward on a $135 million bond issue that will help fund $175 million in capital projects.

The health system also made the 100 Top Hospitals list in 2002. It is one of only two in Georgia to make the list this year. The ranking, based on publicly available data, is culled from roughly 3,000 hospitals this year, said Jean Chenoweth, the senior vice president for Thomson and the 100 Top programs.

The company studied data in clinical areas for things such as the rate of complications patients developed and how often patients received the standard of care in key areas. It also looked at financial performance in areas such as profitability and cash-to-debt ratio.

"The things that I've always liked about this designation is it's a balanced scorecard approach," said MCG Health CEO Don Snell.

The company looks only at the data, and hospitals can't buy their way in by purchasing other services from the company, Ms. Chenoweth said.

"We don't know (that) when we run the data," she said. "We're only using data; we don't go by reputation."

For that reason, "we feel pretty comfortable and it is really hard to win this award," Ms. Chenoweth said. In fact, only about one-third stay on the list from one year to the next.

It's even harder, considering the financial factors, for public hospitals like MCG that provide a heavy load of indigent care, Mr. Snell said.

"It makes it horribly difficult, particularly in the last few years," he said, when the health system's indigent care supplemental payments have been cut from $28 million to an expected $12 million this year. Meanwhile, the hospital is on track to provide about $54 million in indigent care to the uninsured this year, which translates to about $27 million in actual costs, he said.

While MCG Health is getting the award, it is also a distinction for Augusta, Ms. Chenoweth said.

"The community is always the real winner when you have a hospital that is setting the national benchmarks for performance because that touches every single person who lives there," she said.

The other Georgia hospital on the list is Union General Hospital in Blairsville, in the Small Community Hospitals category. MCG is in the Major Teaching Hospitals category.

In other business, the health system board approved a complicated bond issue that includes an interest rate swap that will leave it with an interest rate of 3.8 percent. The health system will end up with monthly debt service of about $355,000, which tops out at $666,000 in 2024, Mr. Snell said. But though he had considered scaling it back when struggling to make budget earlier this year, it made more sense to go ahead with the larger project, he said.

"All of those projects were critical," Mr. Snell said. "It's a risk, but we have seen improvements in the (financial) performance."

WISE-OLE-OWL
WISE-OLE-OWL 03/27/08 - 06:09 am
Thnks, Thomson Healthcare,

Thnks, Thomson Healthcare, for recognizing that golf is not the only thing in whiich we excel. With all its problems, Augusta is still able to make us proud. Congratulations, MCG!

cricketflea
cricketflea 03/27/08 - 06:35 am
Congrats, MCG! Funny how I

Congrats, MCG! Funny how I did not hear this NICE news on the TV this morning...only found it here. Maybe Augusta will PROMOTE this wonderful hospital now even more!!!

hobo
hobo 03/27/08 - 09:14 am
some hospitals depend on PR

some hospitals depend on PR campaigns not based on actual clinical performance This award is all about performance I would certainly want to go to a hospital ranked in the top 100 in the united states in quality and financial performance and not one that is all about image and not performance. Kudos to the team at MCG Health- what a great job they are doing

mable8
mable8 03/27/08 - 09:56 am
I wonder how MCG was able to

I wonder how MCG was able to receive a rating in the top 100 hospitals when MCG discriminates against the mentally challanged individuals by providing extremely poor care to those individuals. And for those who would question what I have said, I personally have observed this discrimination. No kudos from me, MCG, you didn't earn it.

whyme
whyme 03/27/08 - 12:30 pm
I agree 100% with you mable8!

I agree 100% with you mable8! It's absolutely shameful. Add on a lack of insurance and you can be guaranteed to be treated worse than dirt. If you call for an appointment, the first thing you're asked is "what type of insurance?" If you say the person has none, you get a later clinic date than if you have some. Hope you can hold out that long for them to work you in-some kind of service that is, hmph. Thank God for Georgia Regional who takes everyone, money or not, and does what they can with what they have to work with.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/27/08 - 04:21 pm
The rest of us just can't

The rest of us just can't afford you "Whyme". MCG has to come up with a way to pay for your care before they can give you non-emergency care. It's tough but it's reality, and it's just going to get worse. AND MCG does NOT provide substandard care to the mentally handicapped, or anyone else by design, intention or neglect. Sometimes, mentally handicapped people are not equipped with the faculties neccessary to understand their treatment, instructions or even what's wrong with them. There is a limit to what anyone can do about that, no matter how hard they try or how much time and effort they expend to deal with that problem. It's also tough, but a reality. I question, MABEL8, if you actually had a complete understanding of what you observed, or if you saw one MCG employee and have decided that all of us are like that one.

tdp
tdp 03/27/08 - 05:24 pm
I know medical insurance is

I know medical insurance is expensive (mine is $1200/month, mostly employer paid), but I don't know what people w/out insurance expect. What is so unfair is that the people with insurance wind up footing the bill for the people without insurance. Last time I took my daughter to the ER, my insurance company & I had to pay $1200 for 2 bags of fluid because she was dehydrated from the flu. That didn't even include the doctor's fee for his examination. Now you cannot tell me 2 little bags of potassium chloride cost $1200. What I was paying for was all the people without insurance who didn't pay their bill for their visit. So I really don't want to hear about the poor treatment you get when you are uninsured. You are lucky you get any treatment at all. Just remember that while you are skipping out on that bill, people like me are having to pay for your treatment. Talk about unfair!

travelp
travelp 03/27/08 - 06:18 pm
I work @ MCG and I would say

I work @ MCG and I would say the majority of people I care for are unemployed and without insurance. My wife has to wait six weeks to get an appointment with internal medicine and we both work there so I don't want to hear about how long whyme has to wait.

Laguria
Laguria 03/27/08 - 07:39 pm
This is not US News And World

This is not US News And World Report's top 100 hospitals, that measures hospitals by quality of care and outcomes. Thompson measures mostly profitability. You don't get quality of care by cutting staff to the bone. You get profit. Let's see how they do in US News and World Report's. Afterall, Don Snell said when he first arrived at MCG, that he would have MCG H&C in the top 20 in the US News measurement in 3 years. You can always find someone you can pay to measure something.

Laguria
Laguria 03/27/08 - 07:51 pm
The other great hospital in

The other great hospital in Georgia that made the Thompson's 100 list was Union County Hospital in Blairsville. Must be a profitable 45 bed facility.

HillGuy
HillGuy 03/27/08 - 08:39 pm
So where did it come in out

So where did it come in out of 100???

HillGuy
HillGuy 03/27/08 - 08:40 pm
The Chronicle never neglects

The Chronicle never neglects to print blatant PR releases as news stories.

KSL
KSL 03/27/08 - 08:43 pm
Any care my husband or I have

Any care my husband or I have received at MCG was top notch. And I totally agree with tdp. And I'm sick of people who think that health insurance is a right and not their own obligation.

Laguria
Laguria 03/27/08 - 10:29 pm
Well Kathysue,...As long as

Well Kathysue,...As long as Smell keeps giving Dan Rahn $11,000,000 dollars a year, it makes no difference what kind of H&C he is running. Nobody care's if he goes to Athens or Bermuda or the Cayman Island's with our money, ....Every one smiles when Don gives the big cardboard check to Dan.

KSL
KSL 03/27/08 - 10:41 pm
I have no idea what you are

I have no idea what you are talking about, L. I'm saying that the medical care there and the care and concern from the staff was excellent. You have some level of concern that is not pertinent to me and my husband.

gnx
gnx 03/27/08 - 11:36 pm
For those of you complaining

For those of you complaining about patients with insurance getting preferential treatment with clinic appointments understand this - those patients are required to pay co-pays up front (this includes the ER) and are also required to pay their deductibles (usually a couple of thousand dollars) within 60 days. If these patients are even one day late paying on balances then all of their non-emergency doctor appointments are immediately canceled and they are told to go to the ER if they need to see a doctor (which will cost them even more and put a little more cash in MCG's pockets). Those of you who don't have insurance and jobs don't have to worry about having your appointments canceled OR paying money up front. You'll be seen and treated no matter what and you'll get the finest care this area has to provide.

BigPix
BigPix 03/27/08 - 11:47 pm
In general, I could care less

In general, I could care less if a hospital was named in the Top 100 list. What matters to me is what my friends or acquaintances think about their personal experience with a particular hospital. If I learn the hospital's level of care sucks, I'll use my benefits somewhere else. And furthermore, I would like the jury to double the punitive damages against any negligent hospital heralding itself to being one of the Top 100.

KSL
KSL 03/27/08 - 11:56 pm
S&P are you a paying patient

S&P are you a paying patient or not? Do you have insurance, and for that matter, do your friends? That will determine my opinion of your opinion. Quite frankly, my husband and I forgo a lot of luxuries in life to pay for our health insurance because we believe that health insurance is like other necessities we are obligated to provide for ourselves---food, clothing, shelter, insurance.

BigPix
BigPix 03/29/08 - 01:56 am
KathySue, insurance companies

KathySue, insurance companies like me because I hardly utilize my benefits.Translation: I work hard for my premium payments and watch my health. I am assuming you and your husband have debilitating illnesses which relegated you in the high-risk pool. To apply your own logic, you two must be demented and sickly workaholics who don't shop around for the best bang for the buck. Factors to consider include the staff's competence and also bedside manners. The quality of care rendered to a patient should be independent from the source of reimbursement, be it commercial carriers or taxpayer funded. I will not be swayed by a PR blitz touting the superior attributes of a hospital, while a first-hand account of an undesirable experience with the subject healthcare provider (not necessarily MCG) contradicts such biased reviews. Translation: I don't give a hoot as to what the spin masters say. Rather, I trust the personal account of others. MBA execs love your kind because ya'll so gullible. Oh, did you, and for that matter, your friends fare well in a basic IQ test? That will determine my opinion of your opinions