Thus, emphasis on gun ownership has been misplaced. The right to bear arms is based upon well or good regulations. That means at least the following:
- The bearer shall demonstrate the proper use and care of the weapon.
- The bearer shall demonstrate the proper physical and mental capacity to be a member of an organized militia.
- The bearer shall be registered so as to be available for any call to duty as a member of a well-regulated militia.
- The bearer shall be able bodied, sufficient to be a member of a well-regulated militia.
- The bearer shall take an oath equal to and consistent with that taken by members of a well-organized militia.
- Such a well-organized Militia, shall be duly recognized, authorized and governed by the state in which the bearer holds citizenship.
The bottom line is that the bearer of arms must be trained, and disciplined to protect not only one's self and family, but one's state and country. To do less is unconstitutional.
Tom Zwemer, Augusta