Commend Obama for standing by friend

Put yourself in the shoes of a young ambitious black man who was born when blacks were not integrated into the military. The Rev. Jeremiah Wright was just 14 years of age when 42-year-old Rosa Parks resisted sitting in the rear of the bus. When he was 22 he heard the Rev. Martin Luther King give "I Have a Dream" speech. Five years later, Dr. King was murdered when Wright was 27!

He had to be bitter and angry in Chicago -- particularly with the politicians in America.

Veteran columnist Cal Thomas should know this, but not up-start egotistical Sean Hannity. Hannity wasn't even 2 years old when Dr. King spoke. How could he know how Dr. Wright felt?

Hannity, who failed to finish New York University -- in giving his facetious "my friend" greetings to Bill Bennett and Newt Gingrich, two extremely well-educated mentors -- shows conceit and ego that will soon cost him in the ratings. His opinionated, arrogant style, interrupping guests (former U.S. Rep. Harold Ford Jr.) makes me turn off Fox. He repeatedly showed the Wright sermon clips every chance he had. He stoked the fire.

Barack Obama could have taken the easy way out by disavowing his relationship with Dr. Wright. But no, he held his grounds and gave up millions of votes to stand by his preacher, even though he does not agree with those selected sound-bites.

I'm a certified Republican and plan to vote for John McCain. As a Life Scout, a Presbyterian elder and a combat veteran of World War II, I know what friendship and loyalty is all about. So does Obama -- not Hannity.

R.K. Hoddinott Jr., Augusta

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 03/25/08 - 01:41 am
A great American...call it as

A great American...call it as you see it. I respect your right to vote as your choose, but indict those that earn it.

christian134
christian134 03/25/08 - 03:49 am
As a Rev. this man should not

As a Rev. this man should not be spewing such tripe every Sunday or every chance that was presented to him. His congregation consisted of, I imagine, children, teens, young adults as well as older folks and to consistently bombard them with this type of ugliness toward America and whites is just not right. As a Rev. he is supposed to preach and teach the word of God and Jesus Christ because quite frankly to bring his baggage into the house of God is hypocritcal.

JohnCarllStrauss
JohnCarllStrauss 03/25/08 - 03:53 am
So since Wright was alive

So since Wright was alive when King was murdered, he has the right to be a vile racist. Well, actually anyone has the right to be a racist......or to stand by and support a racist, but I have the right to choose not to have them lead my country too.

wildman
wildman 03/25/08 - 03:58 am
Remember what your mother

Remember what your mother said, Pick yours friends carefully because you will be judged by the company you keep. Guilty by association.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 03/25/08 - 04:39 am
I agree with Synergy on this

I agree with Synergy on this one!

Reality
Reality 03/25/08 - 05:33 am
I was alive during the race

I was alive during the race riots of the late 60's,when the blacks burned up cities and stole, should I hate all blacks? Of course not, get real...

KSL
KSL 03/25/08 - 06:45 am
Obama certainly has the right

Obama certainly has the right to stick by his friend, but we have the right to judge him by his choice of friends. After all, he is running for President of the United States.

dani
dani 03/25/08 - 07:06 am
Why do I doubt Mr

Why do I doubt Mr "Hottintot's" claim of supporting McCain?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/25/08 - 07:59 am
Hannity gets paid $10million

Hannity gets paid $10million a year to be offensive to liberals. He earns his money. His style isn't very smooth and isn't P.C. at all, that's why he's on at 9pm. B.O. has some very ugly friends that teach hate. It won't help his standing in a country that is still more then 80% white. I admire his loyalty, but not his decision making....or many of his socialist views. B.O. is earning his scorn.

S.C. Dawg
S.C. Dawg 03/25/08 - 08:16 am
Hitler had millions of loyal

Hitler had millions of loyal followers also. Mr. Hoddinot, a member of our armed forces in WWII, surely remembers this. They held their ground and stood by Hiltler. I hope Obamas followers aren't as blinded by hatred as Hitlers' were.

imdstuf
imdstuf 03/25/08 - 08:50 am
Most white people, including

Most white people, including the white people running for president I am sure, have some racist friends. For people to pretend it does not exist is just stupid. Everyone is judging Wright by a couple of sermons. Most Sundays his sermons were probably normal ones like in any other church.

Dan White 03/25/08 - 09:02 am
Oh, I've got it now,

Oh, I've got it now, Hoddinott. Just because Rev. Wright lived through the Jim Crow era when blacks were relegated to the back of the bus, that justifies his hate-filled diatribe against white people. And Wright, a preacher - not of the gospel of forgiveness that Jesus teaches - but of hate, hate, and more hate. How about Corrie ten Boom who endured Ravensbruck Concentration camp, unjustly taken there because she and her family chose to hide Jews in their home in the Netherlands? Yet, this dear woman of God prayed for her Nazi persecutors and forgave them. After her release, she went and preached forgiveness. Yes, Wright went through those tough times of injustice, but he has missed the gospel of forgiveness through Christ. And then, what about his mentee, Rev. Otis Moss III. He never lived through what Wright went through, and he took off where his master, Wright, left. This past Easter Sunday, his message was again one of hate for whites and loaded with racism. The disciple, Moss, learned well from his teacher, Wright, as has Obama. That's why Obama stood by him. They think alike, hate alike, and worship in a hate-filled atmosphere.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 03/25/08 - 09:34 am
If you continue to sit in the

If you continue to sit in the pew, you share the view.

Dan White 03/25/08 - 09:47 am
You got that right,

You got that right, converted.

read this
read this 03/25/08 - 09:52 am
Those are not just sound

Those are not just sound bites! That is Black Liberation Theology and you better pay attention.

Bizarro
Bizarro 03/25/08 - 09:56 am
Obama has proven with

Obama has proven with impunity that his judgment is impaired, which it is his right to be an idiot. Do we want another idiot as president is the question.

teabag1963
teabag1963 03/25/08 - 10:19 am
hannity is another [filtered word]wimp

hannity is another [filtered word]wimp who says send in the troops! i'll be right here watching the war from my living room.but, why would anyone vote for mccain? he has told you that he will keep these 2 criminal wars going? how many more dead soldiers? how many damaged for life? who will we borrow from to pay for all of this?

Dan White 03/25/08 - 10:23 am
charley, I don't think

charley, I don't think Hannity is running for President. The point of the letter is about Obama staying in his racist church and sticking up for his racist pastor. Bizarro is on the point - Obama's judgment is severely impaired and unworthy to be President.

jiclemens
jiclemens 03/25/08 - 11:14 am
You all have demonstrated

You all have demonstrated that you prefer to listen to and believe outofcontext politically charged soundbytes because they support your own deep-seated prejudices. You should watch the entire sermon and see the clips in their proper context. Obama did a great speech on race. His minister is also quite good. The comments above demonstrate simplistic ignorance of both people.

Dan White 03/25/08 - 11:34 am
No one took Rev. Wright's

No one took Rev. Wright's message out of context, jc. His racist message is the context.

critter
critter 03/25/08 - 12:06 pm
I just wonder, if you took

I just wonder, if you took Rev. Wright's speech and reversed all the racial references so that whites were angry at blacks and preached hatred of them, would anyone think kindly of a single person who supported him? I'm not voting in this year's election at all. I can't support either side.

S.C. Dawg
S.C. Dawg 03/25/08 - 12:16 pm
jc, evidently the rock you

jc, evidently the rock you recently crawled out from must have been getting very heavy. The entire sermon has no proper context to anyone in the civilized world, which counts you out. Obamas only claim to greatness is the hypnotic affect he has on embasils like you. To proceed in a civilized manner, we must simply ignore the comments of people like Reverend Wright and his faithful band of hate mongers.

critter
critter 03/25/08 - 12:23 pm
Having also seen several of

Having also seen several of Pastor Hagee's speechs (McCain's pastoral equivalent) I really think that if these two morons are the best both parties have to offer, we're toast.

Dan White 03/25/08 - 12:54 pm
Yea, critter, I'm with you on

Yea, critter, I'm with you on Hagee and Pat Robertson is also nuts. If I was a Presidential candidate, I would stay as far away from nutty preachers as I could. But, I am going to vote. 4,000 brave men and women have died in the last five years who want me to vote and have given their lives so that I can. Just hold your nose and vote for somebody.

jiclemens
jiclemens 03/25/08 - 12:56 pm
Wright's sermon drew on many

Wright's sermon drew on many real-world examples to make numerous decidedly Christian points which repeatedly fall on deaf ears here (like yours, Dawg), an area with the highest concentration of hate groups in the country. Most pastors use this technique to bring up difficult concepts in Christianity (especially for southerners) like pacifism and turning the other cheek.

sumerdaz53
sumerdaz53 03/25/08 - 01:00 pm
"Obamas only claim to

"Obamas only claim to greatness is the hypnotic affect he has on embasils like you." Well, S.C. Dawg...that may be true but at least we know how to spell the word "imbecile" and we know what the word means too...a stupid person; a fool. So my question to you is who is more of an imbecile? One who allows himself to be hynotized by a brilliant mind or one who is unaware of the hypnotic spell of stupidity, ignorance and rancor they are operating under each and every day.

critter
critter 03/25/08 - 01:05 pm
Sorry, holding your nose and

Sorry, holding your nose and voting is the same thing as compromising your principles, and to me, that's insulting the 4,000 dead. Not gonnna do it. That and a single-party voting mindset is what's gotten us into this mess in the first place.

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 03/25/08 - 01:13 pm
Obama is a superficial jerk

Obama is a superficial jerk who is skilled at brainwashing young adults.

S.C. Dawg
S.C. Dawg 03/25/08 - 01:14 pm
sumerdaz53, the fact that my

sumerdaz53, the fact that my spelling is off does not change the fact that you are (as you prefer to say) "a stupid person; a fool." and if you see Obamas' mind as being brilliant, my real name might be Einstein. ( Woops,is that spelled correctly?)

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 03/25/08 - 01:29 pm
S.C. Dawg, you are amusing.

S.C. Dawg, you are amusing. Be any blunter and you would be a square.

Kettle donations rise in 2014