Burglary doesn't scare man

Larry Farr said there's not much he would do differently to avoid becoming a burglary victim, despite recently losing out to thieves.

"I'm not going to react in a panic mode," said Mr. Farr, who retired from the Army after more than 20 years.

"We didn't get any of our stuff back, but at least they got caught, so it won't happen to anyone else," he said.

Mr. Farr's home was one of at least 60 residences targeted by a theft ring ultimately rounded up by Richmond County sheriff's investigators Feb. 25.

Six people were arrested and are facing burglary charges in connection with the thefts of thousands of dollars of property from Richmond and Columbia county houses.

Though some experts suggest that security systems can serve as a deterrent, Mr. Farr thinks otherwise.

In his case, the thieves cut wires connected to the security systems at the back of houses.

A big part of the problem, police say, are people who support thieves by purchasing stolen goods -- items they know are too good to be so cheap.

"If you buy a plasma TV for $100 and it's worth $1,000, you, the buyer, can be charged with felony theft by receiving stolen goods," Sgt. Horace Anderson said.

Mr. Farr said he felt angry after noticing how the burglars pillaged through his belongings.

"It was like they had a routine -- from the kitchen to the bedroom. Someone even drank a Coke from our refrigerator. They took all our jewelry. After I calmed down, I really saw how they tore up the house. I was really mad at first," Mr. Farr said.

He said he and his wife have no plans to relocate from the south Augusta house they've called home for more than 18 years.

At 60, Mr. Farr has a full-time job as a network administrator for a bank.

"I can't go seeking revenge," he said, adding that he credits the sheriff's office for "doing a good job."

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

BURGLARY CASES ARE HARD TO SOLVE

Sheriff's Lt. Jimmy Young said Richmond County burglary rates have remained steady for the past two years.

In 2006, there were 2,855 reported burglaries in Richmond County, compared with 2,872 reported in 2007, he said. Of those, only 553 cases were cleared or solved in 2006 and just 428 cases were cleared in 2007, Lt. Young said.

He said it's not alarming that burglary numbers fluctuate year-to-year.

Sgt. Horace Anderson, the head of the sheriff's Burglary Division, said solvability rates are low because rising caseloads overburden his four-man staff.

"Typically, by the time we arrive, the crime is over and there are no witnesses," he said.

HOME SAFETY TIPS

- If affordable, install an alarm system, preferably one that operates both electronically and via satellite, in case the wiring is cut. Conceal the wiring inside a protective steel case.

- Record the serial number, make and models for guns, jewelry and other high-price items.

- Participate in your neighborhood watch program.

- Keep the hedges trimmed near windows, doorways and other home-entry points.

- Take photographs of your valuables.

- Leave the dead-bolt locks on while you are away from home.

Source: Richmond County Sheriff's Office

Dark_Knight
Dark_Knight 03/24/08 - 01:48 am
No, you can not seek justice

No, you can not seek justice as a regular man........ thats why I became the Dark Knight.

catprintz
catprintz 03/24/08 - 03:17 am
I wish they would try to

I wish they would try to (burglerize?) my house.I got something for them

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/24/08 - 04:03 am
Dark Knight, I too have been

Dark Knight, I too have been known to take matters into my own hands. I have done things so terrible that no one dares to speak my name.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/24/08 - 04:27 am
Those of us that have had to

Those of us that have had to deal with being robbed know the anger and frustration that has to be overcome. Your feeling of safety suffers, even though the robbery took place while no one was at home. Now, when I'm not at home, I have two loyal watch kitties patrol the inside of my house. Woe be unto the stranger that tries to enter my domain.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/24/08 - 04:29 am
LOL...watch kitties!!!!

LOL...watch kitties!!!!

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/24/08 - 04:38 am
Fortunately (for them) nobody

Fortunately (for them) nobody has ever tried to break into my house. If I'm not there, I guess they'll be fine. If I am there....I guess I have a tough decision to make....I have a gun but I also have a really nice battle axe hanging over the fire place I've been wanting to try out.....man I can't wait.

Dark_Knight
Dark_Knight 03/24/08 - 05:41 am
Miss Patricia, I have 2 cats,

Miss Patricia, I have 2 cats, how can I go about training them to become watch Kitties like yours? A good defense would be great on days that I have to go to work. Thank you....... -dark knight.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/24/08 - 06:05 am
Dark Knight, I used the

Dark Knight, I used the Eastern Philosophy training method. Once you get the cats to subscribe to the concepts of right and wrong, the rest of the training is easy.

tdp
tdp 03/24/08 - 09:08 am
He Who Must

He Who Must Not.............Although I think everyone should have a gun in their home for protection, I kind of like the battle ax idea too. Just seems like it would be more fun to bludgeon a burglar than it would be to shoot them. I think I might go shopping for a battle ax today. I wonder if Target carries them?

SunDown
SunDown 03/24/08 - 09:17 am
My brother once took out a

My brother once took out a burglar with a potatoes peeler. It's amazing the damage that can be inflected when you shove a culinary implement into someone's ear as far as it will go!

teabag1963
teabag1963 03/24/08 - 09:54 am
he who must not be named, do

he who must not be named, do us a favor, take the battle axe and smash those "billy jack" and "rambo" movies up that you've been watching.you really don't want any part of a burglary, ask some that have been through one.

jack
jack 03/24/08 - 10:04 am
Alarm systems do work to

Alarm systems do work to discourage burglars. I had my house broken into once and the alarm went off and the burglar left in before I could shoot him (damn it!). My system is both electrical and automatic battery operated (inside the house) if the electricity goes out. I don't wait for the security company to call, but phone 911 on my cell phone in case my phone line has been cut. My PPKs is always on my night stand and the alarm is on when I go to bed.

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/24/08 - 11:09 am
When my house was robbed I

When my house was robbed I felt like I had just been raped. It got me thinking of how bad it must feel to be raped even after the pain is gone. It's something you don't just forget.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 12:10 pm
Double D charley yonce. I've

Double D charley yonce. I've been been burglarized, too, in all three of the homes I've lived in the last 40 years in 30906. It has definitely been detrimental to my sense of security. My husband's (now ex) car was broken into once on Monte Sano Avenue and once at Regency Mall Theatre not long before it closed. So sorry you've been through the same thing. There's an epidemic of this going on. We never had one problem from 1966 to 1988, but it sure has increased since our first burglary in the fall of '88, everyone I know has either had an incident like this, or has a local relative that has had one or more.

BlackRepublican
BlackRepublican 03/24/08 - 04:37 pm
"""No, you can not seek

"""No, you can not seek justice as a regular man........ thats why I became the Dark Knight"""" lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol!!!!!!!!!

SunDown
SunDown 03/24/08 - 04:42 pm
1966 to 1988??? I wonder what

1966 to 1988??? I wonder what started happening from 1988 until now? What's changed?

crazygurl
crazygurl 03/24/08 - 04:54 pm
I was told that if you have a

I was told that if you have a car that has an alarm system and you know someone is trying to break into your house is to set the alarm off on your car. It can scare them.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 03/24/08 - 06:02 pm
Cruel and unusual punishment

Cruel and unusual punishment would be effective.

adam
adam 03/24/08 - 08:04 pm
Just a caution.If the

Just a caution.If the burglars have left any valuables,THEY WILL COME BACK...usually in a few days.BE PREPARED.

tdp
tdp 03/24/08 - 09:49 pm
oooh! Good advice Adam.

oooh! Good advice Adam. Scary as hell, but good advice!

KSL
KSL 03/25/08 - 02:41 am
And a good time to be ready

And a good time to be ready for them with that cruel and unusual punishment. Just make certain they are inside.

KSL
KSL 03/25/08 - 02:52 am
Looking at the picture, it

Looking at the picture, it looks like the thieves came in from the back and were hidden from view while gaining entry by the privacy fence. Maybe another suggestion for deterrence would be to make certain that you do not allow access to your backyard if you have a privacy fence.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/25/08 - 11:21 am
Sundown. There is a

Sundown. There is a combination of factors that would take someone wiser than me and with much more time to recount. I know one thing, though, people that are substance abusers have a hard time holding down jobs, but still have to pay for their addictions and will steal from others to do it.