Mother charged in death of infant

NORTH AUGUSTA --- A 24-year-old mother of three was charged Tuesday in the beating death of her 4-month-old daughter, police said.

Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.  Special
Special
Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.

Adrienne Michelle Bush is charged with homicide by child abuse in the death Friday of Amarie Tre'chelle Thurmond, police said.

On Tuesday, North Augusta investigators arrested Ms. Bush after interviewing her and the child's father, North Augusta Lt. Tim Counts said.

"Once we interviewed the father and we interviewed the mother, she admitted and confessed to actually striking the child with her fist repeatedly on the head, which we believe ... produced the head trauma which caused the child's death," Lt. Counts said.

He said no motive has been determined.

Emergency personnel were called about 11:30 a.m. Friday to Ms. Bush's home in the Breckinridge II Apartments on East Martintown Road and found her holding the infant's body, according to a police report.

"The child was obviously dead," the lieutenant said. The infant was not breathing and was showing signs of rigor mortis when authorities arrived.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said a Saturday autopsy determined Amarie died of massive head trauma.

The infant's father was likely at the home at the time of the incident, but Lt. Counts said investigators believe the man was busy tending to Ms. Bush's 6-year-old child from a prior relationship and the couple's 2-year-old.

"At this point in the investigation, we don't have any reason to believe he was involved in the child's death, nor do we believe he had any knowledge of (a crime)," Lt. Counts said. No charges are expected against him, he said.

Investigators say they do not know whether Ms. Bush has a history of abusive behavior.

Reach J. Scott Trubey at (706) 823-3424 or scott.trubey@augustachronicle.com.

dani
dani 03/19/08 - 06:44 pm
janet. Don't you care that

janet. Don't you care that there are too many helpless babies being killed. BY the one person on earth who should be protecting her. A baby that can't even run to get out of the way. What is the point. Did it make the mother feel better when she finally finshed the child off. You think maybe she is enjoying herself now without the crying baby driving her crazy? You think she might finally get some peace and quiet when she goes to prison, I hear they are pretty noisy places.

janet54
janet54 03/19/08 - 07:03 pm
yes,common sense should tell

yes,common sense should tell all of us if you do wrong ,you're going to be punished for whatever wrong you do.that's a known fact. what i'm saying ,none of us is exempted from a situation like that young lady is in now.you dont know what tomorrow will bring!!!!!!!

Rose
Rose 03/19/08 - 07:44 pm
I do not feel sorry for her.I

I do not feel sorry for her.I look at that picture of her,and think of her head as a boxing bag.she needs for her brain to be rearranged.with a set of boxing gloves.

Batman
Batman 03/19/08 - 09:17 pm
gofigure, there is no such

gofigure, there is no such thing as compassion to a nut like that. I had post partum depression and a newborn with colic who screamed for three hours straight every night for 4 months! I would never imagine doing such a thing to him. I agree with gadawg6. (Hey, can a Gamecock and Bulldog agree)?? :)

The Truth
The Truth 03/19/08 - 11:59 pm
I agree with Southernmomma on

I agree with Southernmomma on this one. Even though I think that this woman should be punished to the full extent of the law, excluding the death penalty, I also think that those calling for her death are just as bad. I don't think any of us have the right to take anyone's life, whether they be 4months old, 24 years old, or any age. I don't believe in abortion or the death penalty. In my opinion, murder (thats what killing a person is) is only acceptable in defense of ones own life or the life of someone else. This woman committed murder and she should and willl be punished for it However as the Bible says, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone." The word "sin" is a broad term. It could mean murder, or it could mean being dishonest about that extra dollar the cashier accidently gave you with your change at your favorite store...(thats considered stealing)

The Truth
The Truth 03/20/08 - 12:14 am
BTW, I know what its like to

BTW,
I know what its like to have a child taken away. I lost my 1 year old daughter to a terminal illness. Keeping that in mind, you can only imagine how I feel when people do not appreciate the gift of a healthy child. I was sick to my stomach when I heard this story and if I was the father, there is a good chance the mother would be badly hurt or perhaps even dead. That's b/c I probably would have reacted out of justifiable anger. However, killing that woman wiould not bring the child back. I'd like to think that that child is in a better place just as my own child is. To use anger as an excuse to kill that woman means that we will be using the same reason ,we speculate, that caused her to kill her child. This baby could have been killed legally 5 months earlier. Doesn't that warrant the same degree of anger? Abortion is legal and has probably been paid for by many peope on this blog condemning this woman.

RobbyLogan
RobbyLogan 03/20/08 - 01:18 am
She admitted to striking the

She admitted to striking the child over and over with her fist. So, she admitted to murder! No sympathies here for her, and I agree with public hanging her.

The Truth
The Truth 03/20/08 - 01:44 am
Public Hanging =

Public Hanging = Pre-Meditated Murder

barchafin
barchafin 03/20/08 - 02:22 am
There are all kinds of races

There are all kinds of races on welfare. Just because she was black has nothing to do with race.

RobbyLogan
RobbyLogan 03/20/08 - 03:29 am
Pre-meditated murder? Who

Pre-meditated murder? Who cares about that, what about the pain that the infant felt while her mother pounded on her? Lose a baby to murder then tell someone about pre-meditated murder!

christian134
christian134 03/20/08 - 05:39 am
The bottom line is the Word

The bottom line is the Word of God tells us we shouldn't hate evil people but we should hate what they do. We have laws of God and laws of man that are to be enforced. God allowed Moses to have the knowledge to impose rules and regulations in a society in order to maintain order and structure. Breaking these laws come with consequences. That being said for hundreds of years women had babies, some had what were defined as the baby blues which passed in time, they cared for the babies and raised them up to the best of their abilites. Then there were those who committed upspeakable acts of evil and they were punished without all the loopholes our society has succumbed. This woman killed that infant because she just didn't want to hear the baby crying....Postpardum defense my foot.....This defense is as bad as the twinkie defense.

gadawg61
gadawg61 03/20/08 - 08:07 am
i know a family memeber of

i know a family memeber of this girl and she wasnt having post pardom the baby didnt have colic and the father is a decent man and a good father. all this mother was thinking about was herself. she went the next day to her cousins house to get her hair done and then to get a manicure with no remorse at all. if she did this without thinking she would have remorse after realizing what she had done. by the way when the cops were called rigor mortis had already set in. give me a break southernmomma you have two children if you know what its like to have post pardum and staying uo all night then why havent you killed your kids. thats no excuse and should not even be considered. people like you are the reason society embraces people who do these sort of things instead of condemning them. you should be beat to.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/20/08 - 08:28 am
I think we are all in

I think we are all in agreement that what this young woman did was horrible, unthinkable, but to speak hateful comments such as use her head as a punching bag, she should be hanged, this should be done and that should be done to her...are we not any better than her for wanting to repay violence for violence. Yes I think she needs to go through the legal process any pay for her crime but what is the need to spew hateful comments and wishful death sentences. I know there are many of different beliefs posting here but as a Christian it is my responsibility to pray for this woman, her remaining children, and the father of these babies. I don't wish this woman dead but I do pray she gets the help she needs.

birdhead
birdhead 03/20/08 - 08:45 am
Our hearts goes out to the

Our hearts goes out to the family. The question comes up, time and time, again, about the care of the children. We all know that people can get stress out. But, there are many women who has do take care of the "boyfriend" as a child and the kids. If you have children by a man and he's not willing to marry you, he is a boy and not your friend. Most men don't know how to be father. They don't have a clue about helping out the family they have started. Most men who are not marry to the woman, don't even know how to wait until the first child has spend quality time with the family before he releasing his sperm again to have another innocent baby to enter the world. So, it is important that the female use protection for herself. It is hard trying to raise 3 kids and a boy companion. I am so sorry that the mother was mentally ill. I am sorry that society has taught us to try to make a boyfriend a husband. It is very hard to understand how someone thinks a baby needs to be discipline at that age. Babies will be babies, once the baby comes, if you are not marry to the father, you (young ladies will have to be mother and father to each child all the days of your life).

EnoughAlready
EnoughAlready 03/20/08 - 10:02 am
Jail?!? Jail?!? There are

Jail?!? Jail?!? There are actually people out there who think that just because she took a young innocent child's life, she deserves to live? What has this world come to? That poor child didn't ask to be brought into this world, and it certainly didn't ask to be beat to death. This mother doesn't deserve to be "rehabilitated"; next time she gets mad or whatever, who's to say she won't take it out on one of her other children. God rest that precious baby; and may God be with this family.

peachy824
peachy824 03/20/08 - 10:03 am
No excuses for this ,,,This

No excuses for this ,,,This is what is wrong with this world today,,,Excuses, excuses, excuses...She needs to spend the RESTof her life behind bars..We need to get tough on this...Children do not ask to be here...Everyone wants to know why.....Who knows why...All we know is that there is a little baby girl who will not even have a chance in this world, because of someone that suppose to love her more than life itself, .Her own Mother..God help her other kids.....

Rose
Rose 03/20/08 - 12:20 pm
Mentally ill? That is just

Mentally ill? That is just another lame excuse. who proved she was mentally ill? Nobody.

gypsyfeet
gypsyfeet 03/20/08 - 03:48 pm
At age 46 and being a woman

At age 46 and being a woman who has suffered severe major depressive disorder & PTSD for over 20 yrs i cant imagine ever hurting any of my 5 children. There is loads of ppl who suffer daily from depression and never hurt their babies. Just give me 5 mins. with that woman!! Hopefully the state of Georgia has no mercy on that parasite! My heart goes out to the other children.

URA votes to issue bonds for Municipal Building renovation

Augusta's Urban Redevelopment Agency agreed Thursday to issue nearly $27 million in revenue bonds to raise up to $28.5 million in cash for ongoing renovations and a new information technology ...