Mother charged in death of infant

NORTH AUGUSTA --- A 24-year-old mother of three was charged Tuesday in the beating death of her 4-month-old daughter, police said.

Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.  Special
Special
Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.

Adrienne Michelle Bush is charged with homicide by child abuse in the death Friday of Amarie Tre'chelle Thurmond, police said.

On Tuesday, North Augusta investigators arrested Ms. Bush after interviewing her and the child's father, North Augusta Lt. Tim Counts said.

"Once we interviewed the father and we interviewed the mother, she admitted and confessed to actually striking the child with her fist repeatedly on the head, which we believe ... produced the head trauma which caused the child's death," Lt. Counts said.

He said no motive has been determined.

Emergency personnel were called about 11:30 a.m. Friday to Ms. Bush's home in the Breckinridge II Apartments on East Martintown Road and found her holding the infant's body, according to a police report.

"The child was obviously dead," the lieutenant said. The infant was not breathing and was showing signs of rigor mortis when authorities arrived.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said a Saturday autopsy determined Amarie died of massive head trauma.

The infant's father was likely at the home at the time of the incident, but Lt. Counts said investigators believe the man was busy tending to Ms. Bush's 6-year-old child from a prior relationship and the couple's 2-year-old.

"At this point in the investigation, we don't have any reason to believe he was involved in the child's death, nor do we believe he had any knowledge of (a crime)," Lt. Counts said. No charges are expected against him, he said.

Investigators say they do not know whether Ms. Bush has a history of abusive behavior.

Reach J. Scott Trubey at (706) 823-3424 or scott.trubey@augustachronicle.com.

whyme
whyme 03/19/08 - 01:11 pm
All we know is what the media

All we know is what the media reports. We then take that information and make judgments calls. Is what this woman did right? Absolutely not. Do the circumstances matter? They may or may not, because the child is still dead. Hopefully the legal system will be applied appropriately. In the meantime, what is being done to support nonviolent parents, to encourage healthy parenting, and to ensure that the parents are following through with what is expected of them? Maybe we're doing all we can and some people don't care. I know several parents who think it's their right to whip their kids when they act out, or even when they don't so they know they're in charge. If this is the accepted method of correction, and it's encouraged, then it's just a few steps more for a person to use that level on a small child, wrong as it it, and then even more before death occrurs. Someone will say, "Well it's a big difference between me hitting my kid with a belt for backtalking and this lady beating her baby in the head to death." But is it really? Is it right?

johnny24
johnny24 03/19/08 - 01:22 pm
Southernmomma...I'm tired of

Southernmomma...I'm tired of the idiotic remark about not being able to judge people unless you've been in their shoes. There is a difference between right and wrong regardless of the pressure or difficulty of the situation. Using the logic of the "can't judge," you are stating this dog's actions are acceptable in certain circumstances, and there are reasons for crushing the skull of a 4-month old baby in particular instances. Southernmomma, can you list some of those exeptional instances for me- just give me 2 or 3 please.

dani
dani 03/19/08 - 01:28 pm
I tell you what she should

I tell you what she should have done. If things were so bad she should have beaten herself to death and left the defenseless child alone. That is what a really sicko person would do.

GSneed
GSneed 03/19/08 - 01:39 pm
Let's be fair about

Let's be fair about this...think of Mrs. Yates and all the other Texas women that have recently killed their children. Sad state of affairs we have here.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/19/08 - 01:40 pm
Everyone keeps saying this

Everyone keeps saying this girl should have gotten help, she should have given the baby away, she never should of had kids, blah, blah, blah. Maybe the girl didn't know she had a problem, maybe she doesn't have family around to help her, maybe she really wanted and loved this child but somewhere along the line something snapped and this is the end result. Who's to say she didn't have a loving mother and father to show or teacher her how to be a good parent. This does not excuse her from what she did and should be prosecuted but everyone on here acts so perfect and loves stating what you would and wouldn't do. We never really know what you are capable of when our mind snaps. Some people have more self control than others. Yes she needs to take responsbiity and these are not excuses, just statements being made trying to understand how something so horrible could happen.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/19/08 - 01:47 pm
As for the statement "an eye

As for the statement "an eye for an eye". This was in Old Testament times. When Jesus shed his blood on the cross for our sins this released us from the old ways of passing judgement. This young woman will have to ask for forgiveness and yes, Christ will forgive her if she is sincere, that's doesn't excuse what she has done or the punishment she should be sentenced to but as Chrisitans we are suppose to forgive, not accept what she did, but forgive her. I understand the anger posted her and the wanting her to pay, and pay big, but if you were responsible for standing in front of her and taking her life, could you honestly say you could do it. Do you have that much hatred for someone? I agree, she needs to be punish, she needs mental help, but also I know she needs prayers.

godogs
godogs 03/19/08 - 01:54 pm
No one said this lady's

No one said this lady's actions were acceptable, apparently you can't read. I haven't heard anything that said this child's skull was bashed in. She could have hit the child with a lot less force than an adult or older child which could have resulted in the child's death. Shaking a baby can kill them, not typically an adult. Remember they are still developing and there heads are still more fragile. With that being said, no one excuses the act or the fact she should get punished. This is truly a sad situation but to add pure HATE to the situation sure doesn't make it any better. If as many of you have as much pure hate as I have seen today I sure hope you find some meaning in this Easter Holiday and the words Jesus spoke while being prosecuted. Father, forgive them for they know not what they do. That was for not only me as I do sin and admittely so but for you too. If you all have so much hate this his death meant nothing.

2daysObserver
2daysObserver 03/19/08 - 02:02 pm
This is a very difficult

This is a very difficult issue. My mind and heart tells me there is no punishment too harsh. But then I recall John 8:7 "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." I know the innocent baby is with the Lord. I can only hope the other two children can be placed in a loving and nurturing home.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 03/19/08 - 02:05 pm
She looks guilty......

She looks guilty......

HippieChick
HippieChick 03/19/08 - 02:13 pm
Aren't the 10 commandments

Aren't the 10 commandments from the old testment also?

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Question 24: If a Clergyman tries to persuade you that "the Law is done away in Jesus" or says something like, "well that's Old Testament, that's done away," then he trying, either knowingly or unknowingly, to get you to receive The Mark of The Beast. Agree or disagree, to reject God's Law is to accept The Mark of The Beast.

89% Agree 11% Disagree

Thought "inchristlove" might find interesting

bullet40
bullet40 03/19/08 - 02:21 pm
2daysobserver, Could you

2daysobserver, Could you pass me a stone, please? I have no problem casting it right between here eyes!

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/19/08 - 02:33 pm
I never said we should not

I never said we should not follow the 10 commandments, what I said the statement "an eye for an eye" was the old way of passing judgement. "Love and hate, like light and darkness, cannot dwell together. The Bible says God is love (1 John 4:8). Therefore, He cannot dwell in a heart full of hate." Ms. Bush broke one of the 10 commandments but if we have hate in our hearts are we no better than she when we also break the 10 commandments? A sin is a sin in God's eyes, and some will argue that murder is worse than lying. In our eyes maybe, but in God's eye, it's all the same. I can hate her actions but if I don't pray for her redemption, then I'm no better than she.

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/19/08 - 02:38 pm
Why do we have to encourage

Why do we have to encourage healthy parenting? If you have to pursuade someone to take care of their kids and not beat them then they shouldn't have children. They will still fall short and not provide for them in many areas if they need encouragement to do what they are supposed to do. As far as this statement: "...and to ensure that the parents are following through with what is expected of them." I don't want to live in a so-called free country where someone else is going to tell me how to raise my child in a manner that "they" feel is right. I do believe in spanking and giving whippings only the buttocks with a belt. Striking anywhere else on the body is wrong to me. I find a slap in the face to be disrespectful also. Yes, there is an enormous difference in me giving my son 5 wacks on the bottom vs. hitting him in the head with my fist. I don't think you will need to worry about reading that I accidentally spanked his [filtered word] so hard it killed him. I only give about 5 swats with the belt just enought to sting. Not even close to bruising. So many men here will recall times they didn't mess up because they feared the whoopin from Dad. It worked for us right?

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/19/08 - 02:43 pm
If God is all forgiving then

If God is all forgiving then why is there a hell? Are they not forgiven?

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/19/08 - 02:53 pm
There is a hell because you

There is a hell because you have people who will never believe in the one true God and yes he forgives if you ASK for forgiveness. It's a choice God gives us. Double D you asked "Why do we have to encourage healthy parenting?" That answer is easy, so situations like this won't happen again. It's not a matter of pursuading someone to be a good parent, it's giving them the education to be a good parent so the cycle of abuse will not continue with the next generation.

crazygurl
crazygurl 03/19/08 - 02:53 pm
I'm 23 a mother of 2 and I

I'm 23 a mother of 2 and I would never do something like that to my kids. I'd bring my kids to my parents before I beat my child to death. That poor little baby didn't have a chance at life and it was just taken away from her.

dani
dani 03/19/08 - 03:55 pm
Was somebody on here

Was somebody on here defending the Yates woman? I don't think so. I just read a post by Gsnead that indicated that there is bias being shown. Andrea Yates is another low-life, no defense for her..

senior.23
senior.23 03/19/08 - 04:00 pm
She just like the other

She just like the other mother who murdered her children in a gas station restroom will become a burden on society through leagal wrangling, claiminng mental illness. Murder is murder and they both deserve to pay the ultimate price as did their child(children).

MartinezWest Augusta
MartinezWest Augusta 03/19/08 - 05:00 pm
Where does the story say

Where does the story say anything about her on welfare. But yet i have seen over 3 comments. I wonder if that would have came up if the picture was a diffrent color person

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 03/19/08 - 05:06 pm
I would LOVE to get a seat on

I would LOVE to get a seat on that jury!

HippieChick
HippieChick 03/19/08 - 05:21 pm
I just saw in the AJC they

I just saw in the AJC they found the father who run off w/ his 3 kids, all dead in a wooded area in western Ga. - I wonder if this is something that's happening all over the world or is it just the US that has an an out break of childern being killed by thier parents?

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 03/19/08 - 05:49 pm
I wish that she'd killed

I wish that she'd killed herself instead.

Rose
Rose 03/19/08 - 05:53 pm
It is on a tv station website

It is on a tv station website also.http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15644161/detail.html

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 03/19/08 - 05:53 pm
Ghetto scum. period.

Ghetto scum. period.

bullet40
bullet40 03/19/08 - 06:01 pm
jonnee, look at her. You

jonnee, look at her. You have any doubt she's a welfare baby factory!

janet54
janet54 03/19/08 - 06:28 pm
on the subject of the mother

on the subject of the mother killing her baby,some of us are so quick to judge .stop and think. we wake up in the morning ,by the grace of god,not on our own,only by god 's sufficient grace .maybe in good sririts,but only the good lord knows how that day is going to start or end. we assume too much. none of us were there in that young ladies apartment and none of us knows what happened.all we can do is go by what we hear.if we would put our time into helping one another,go to that greiving family to see if ther is anything you can do to help them ,pray for that family,you can imagine how much better our lives would be.ther is nothing wrong with the world ,it is the thoughtless people. put your self in her place.no one knows how they would react if placed in whatever situation she was in . we will say what we won't do .but you'll never know unless it happens to you!!!!!!!

aj
aj 03/19/08 - 06:30 pm
I just can't fathom what she

I just can't fathom what she did. May God have forgiveness because I don't. I agree with a comment a while back, put her in a cell with her children's pics, all three, everywhere. If she ever gets out make sure she is sterilized. But I also like the eye for an eye punishment.

my2sense
my2sense 03/19/08 - 06:37 pm
Look Folks! I try 2 respect

Look Folks! I try 2 respect other people opinions and I also try not to pass judgment on people. However, I Believe in leaving the old folks and the helpless children alone. I dont care if this girl is on welfare, housing, crack, meth or heroin, what she has done to that poor innocent child is wrong no matter if she has a demon in her soul, around her neck or tatooed on her arm . When I look at her picture I want to hit her in head just like she hit that baby. My sympathy goes out to her family and children that are left to pick up the pieces but I have none for her. If this baby killer was tired, depressed, unemployed, broke and screwed then she should have gotten on her kness and/ or taken medication. There is not one person reading this that hasnt had one or all of these problems----- we just dont take it out on our kids by beating them in the head.

Rose
Rose 03/19/08 - 06:41 pm
my2sense I agree

my2sense I agree

aj
aj 03/19/08 - 06:44 pm
I do feel sorry for her. You

I do feel sorry for her. You would have thought, after having two others, that she could control her anger. Very sad.

8 horses loose on I-20

Eight horses that got loose from a nearby pasture and briefly wandered along Interstate 20 were safely rounded up Monday afternoon.