Mother charged in death of infant

NORTH AUGUSTA --- A 24-year-old mother of three was charged Tuesday in the beating death of her 4-month-old daughter, police said.

Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.  Special
Special
Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.

Adrienne Michelle Bush is charged with homicide by child abuse in the death Friday of Amarie Tre'chelle Thurmond, police said.

On Tuesday, North Augusta investigators arrested Ms. Bush after interviewing her and the child's father, North Augusta Lt. Tim Counts said.

"Once we interviewed the father and we interviewed the mother, she admitted and confessed to actually striking the child with her fist repeatedly on the head, which we believe ... produced the head trauma which caused the child's death," Lt. Counts said.

He said no motive has been determined.

Emergency personnel were called about 11:30 a.m. Friday to Ms. Bush's home in the Breckinridge II Apartments on East Martintown Road and found her holding the infant's body, according to a police report.

"The child was obviously dead," the lieutenant said. The infant was not breathing and was showing signs of rigor mortis when authorities arrived.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said a Saturday autopsy determined Amarie died of massive head trauma.

The infant's father was likely at the home at the time of the incident, but Lt. Counts said investigators believe the man was busy tending to Ms. Bush's 6-year-old child from a prior relationship and the couple's 2-year-old.

"At this point in the investigation, we don't have any reason to believe he was involved in the child's death, nor do we believe he had any knowledge of (a crime)," Lt. Counts said. No charges are expected against him, he said.

Investigators say they do not know whether Ms. Bush has a history of abusive behavior.

Reach J. Scott Trubey at (706) 823-3424 or scott.trubey@augustachronicle.com.

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 03/19/08 - 10:10 am
Mother kills her child, she

Mother kills her child, she has to be mentally unstable, suffering from post-partum depression. Is there a chance that she could be just mean. Single mother kills child. She did it because she didn't have a husband to help her out. I'd like someone to expplain to me how mothers whose husbands have died cope. They are single parents and very few of them end up killing their kids. Lets stop making excuses for these horrible peopla and put them where they belong. If not 8 feet under, then in a jail cell for they rest of their miserable lives. I have a mental image of that poor baby being hit and it makes me sad. My sympathy is for the baby, not the perpetrator of this crime. I hope their is some type of class system in women's prisons like we hear about in men's prisons. Maybe the inmates at the place this woman is sent will see fit to give her some old fashioned justice.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 03/19/08 - 10:18 am
I am so sick and tired of

I am so sick and tired of folks "claiming" that women that kill their children might be suffering from post partum depression. I do not think in my right mind, sick or not that a loving mother would even think of hurting their own flesh and blood. This women needs to be done in the same way that she killed her precious innocent little girl. I can not imagne what in the world that father was doing to be so "busy" that he didn't hear his child screaming while this woman was beating thier child to death. I hope both parents rot in hell.

ripjones
ripjones 03/19/08 - 10:23 am
My head is not in my a.. I

My head is not in my a.. I agree that there are some great single moms, and single dads out there. The harsh reality is that they are few and far between. I stand by what I said.

wino5353
wino5353 03/19/08 - 10:24 am
Its so sad that there are so

Its so sad that there are so many couples DIEING to have kids.. They spend so much money, go through so much testing, home visits, documentation, etc. and meanwhile people like this spit kids out left and right, dont raise them, abuse them, etc...

CINDYLOUWHO
CINDYLOUWHO 03/19/08 - 10:27 am
If this is the same girl I am

If this is the same girl I am thinking about then I don't know whne she ever became this violent. When we were in school she was so nice. i just hope thta things work out in the best interest of evryone involved.

jack
jack 03/19/08 - 10:40 am
Southernmomma, my wife and I

Southernmomma, my wife and I raised three kids and each had colic at one time or another. There is no excuse for having children you cannot raise. She should get the needle and I would be glad rto give it to her. Killing an infant (or any child) that horribly deserves nothing less.

Rose
Rose 03/19/08 - 10:41 am
Here come the judges. Here

Here come the judges. Here come the judges.Only a few this time. I am sick of grown adults murdering their kids. No excuses. I agree with all of you who say take her off the face of the planet.Give her a needle. And don't say I am judging. The truth is she killed her innocent child. She has to be punished here on earth.This is the type of story that really gets to me. That child did not ask to be born, and it could not defend itself from its evil mother.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/19/08 - 10:44 am
As horrible as this story is

As horrible as this story is and our need to understand, people this woman could not have been in her right mind at the time she struck this child in the head and killed it....what mother could, whether a bad mother or good mother. It's possible the boyfriend (father of the two youngest children) didn't hear what was going on. It said he was busy with the two other children, (just a guess) but maybe he was getting them dress or fixing them breakfast, it's possible he didn't know what happened until after the fact. Just my opinon based on what little the article said but sounds to me like he was helping out with the children which sounds like at least he was trying to be a decent dad. Most have said "I would have never killed my child" and thank God most of us wouldn't, but there are unstable people out there and whether we think they need to have children or not, they are bringing children into the world. My heart is sad because of the lost of this child but this young girl needs mental help while justice is served. I choose not to believe that she intentionally killed this baby.

mable8
mable8 03/19/08 - 10:48 am
Truetolife: Yes she did know

Truetolife: Yes she did know what she was doing and I'm sick and tired of blaming "postpartum depression" for mothers who wantonly murder their children. This is a despicable act; if she was so frustrated, then she should have gone into another room to cool off before tending the infant. This is not the fault of any welfare system; it is the fault of her own poor judgment.

luckyladydays
luckyladydays 03/19/08 - 10:52 am
southernmomma, please do not

southernmomma, please do not act like you are one that does not ever judge. everyone judges whether they realize it or not. in this case i think we all have the right to judge the terrible mother who killed her child. but most of all, i think we also have the right to judge you for defending her against our judging ways. what she did should not be forgiven, b/c while a sin is a sin, how can you say that one sin is equal to all sins? a person who lies with good intentions should not be compared with a person who murders out of pure rage.

lookingout
lookingout 03/19/08 - 10:53 am
They need to give her life in

They need to give her life in jail. Im a 25 yr old female who would love to have a child to love and cherish. im so sad that this happened may god be with that precious child.

Rose
Rose 03/19/08 - 10:54 am
She knew what she was doing

She knew what she was doing and I have no compassion for her what so ever. I hope she gets what her baby got.

lalala1015
lalala1015 03/19/08 - 10:55 am
I am the mother of a precious

I am the mother of a precious and very determined one year old little boy, he was not planned and was a surprise but he is the best thing that has ever happened to me and my husband. Even when he has driven me to my whits end I would never lay a hand on him. I had a form of post partum and when I realized that something wasn't right I contacted my doctor and got put on medicine for a short period of time until all of my hormones balanced back out, even then I never once thought of hurting my child. One of my closest friends and my aunt are unable to have children both would be wonderful mothers. If you don't want the children there are so many people out there that do, even for some of us that can have our own we would be wonderful parents to these precious little ones.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/19/08 - 10:55 am
Children having children all

Children having children all for the sake of a free check. This behaviour is taught by the parents and until it is stopped and the freebies stopped,it will continue. It is sad, but I feel this is just the beginning, and these types of things will become a lot more common. A few years ago you didn't hear of these things happening, now they are becoming a common occurrence!

Rose
Rose 03/19/08 - 11:01 am
Every single day I read about

Every single day I read about a child murdered. Sometimes I don't read the story, just the headine. I am sick of it, and I am sick of self rightous people defending the killer.

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/19/08 - 11:21 am
ColdBeer, now we don't know

ColdBeer, now we don't know if she was getting those checks! Why are you stereotyping her!?! Not all single mothers are on welfare. Although I would bet my home and savings that this one was.

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/19/08 - 11:22 am
Oh, and howcome when people

Oh, and howcome when people commit the worst crimes someone always comes along to talk about how sweet they were and how they wouldn't hurt a fly, or how they did so much for the community and always willing to lend a hand to someone in need? Save that crap, because it doesn't matter!

fuggie
fuggie 03/19/08 - 11:24 am
This is really a tragic

This is really a tragic situation, but it does not necessitate such negative and demeaning comments. There is such a thing called post-partum distress, which may or may not be a factor in this particular case. Let's not be so judgmental of others and use such a situation to encourage someone else who may be in need of an inspirational word or just a listening ear. Peace, love, harmony, unity and justice begins in each one of us before it can be spread abroad. Let's pray that whatever assistance is needed in this situation, it will be given. Always remember when we point a finger as someone else, we have three pointing at ourselves.

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 03/19/08 - 11:26 am
I have a five month old, so

I have a five month old, so when I read how an innocent baby was attacked...I begin to cry...I wish that I could have stopped this from happenening. I wish that I had known her....that's all..

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/19/08 - 11:36 am
Yeah!! You don't know what

Yeah!! You don't know what people go through. Like the big lady at the Grand buffet every Wednesday! Wait, I do know what she is going through; four plates of the General's Chicken.

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/19/08 - 11:43 am
There may be 3 fingers

There may be 3 fingers pointed at me, but I didn't murder my child. If I want I can make an excuse for why each and every person commits a crime. That is all they are, an excuse. I know so many people every day that struggle with their weight, but you don't see them pushing away from the table. So now we tell them, "It's okay. Obesity is a disease. Here, have sevenths. Your body needs it and you cannot stop eating." It's okay to kill children, you have a condition called Post Partum. We will treat you and then release you from jail, because it wasn't your fault for beating your child's head in with your fists. Don't worry about a job either, we got you covered. If I make it sound brutal, sorry, what she was not pretty and there is no excuse.

betterme706
betterme706 03/19/08 - 12:00 pm
I have 6 kids of my own the

I have 6 kids of my own the oldest is 7 and the youngest is 7 mos i would NEVER do any harm towards my children- i feel bad when they are bad and i have to spank them (of course they are old enogh to know better for what they did when they get spaned- on there butts....infact it don't have to be hard it really just hurts there feelings:) if her baby was crying and wouldn't stop and he was just doing it and there wasn't nothing wrong when this woman knew her patience were being pushed to the limit she should of put him in his bed and walked out of the room or even outside her front door and calmed downed there is something seriousily wrong with the anger someone can hold to hit a baby....( and it has nothing to so with age because i am only 2 yrs older then her) ......I agree with the rest put her in prison and let the good mothers (who were charged with non violent crimes against children) get ahold of her.....I'm sure they will and lets pray the justice system will put her in her place either life or death:) and remember to pray for her other children this is hurting them as well......there little brother was killed by there own mom

JustMe
JustMe 03/19/08 - 12:03 pm
She looks like she has a

She looks like she has a mental problem? I don't understand this one. Looks like a bad attitude look to me. Also what is with blaming the child welfare system? The government can't look out for everyone. That's the families job.Where was the rest of the family when this was going on. If there was a depression or mental problem someone close to her should have seen it. NO EXCUSES.......

godogs
godogs 03/19/08 - 12:18 pm
First of all I am not related

First of all I am not related to her, I am actually middle class white and I think she was black. Living on welfare, I don't know. I have not for once defended her actions but I also don't know what caused her to strike this child either. No once said she should be let out and not punished but maybe this will spark a true concern among our medical community to see why women do this. Maybe it is because they work, do all of the house work, and take care of the children and are stressed to the max. Or maybe they have a good partner who helps and just lost it. I don't know and neither do you out their spewing so much hate around. Yea we should all take five when we get angry but then we all aren't as perfect as many here seem to be either. I haven't judged anyone here that is what we have a judicial system and mental evaluations for. I just hate to see people spew so much hate for situations they absolutely know nothing about and wishing harm on other people. How can we expect God to love and forgive us if we are so quick to be judge and jury. Didn't he say vengance is mine!. I never claimed to be perfect but try everyday to be better than the day before.

Rose
Rose 03/19/08 - 12:28 pm
I don't care what caused her

I don't care what caused her to strike her baby. I do not care. She still did it. She is a cold bloodied murderer who is taking up oxygen that she should not be allowed to have.

HippieChick
HippieChick 03/19/08 - 12:43 pm
You never know what evil lies

You never know what evil lies in the hearts of men and women. If I remember the bible correctly it states thou shall not kill and something about an eye for an eye. I say show her the same mercy she showed her baby without being judgemental about it.

my opinion matters
my opinion matters 03/19/08 - 12:46 pm
this is a shame, why have

this is a shame, why have kids if you going to kill them after they are born

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/19/08 - 12:49 pm
There are circumstances so

There are circumstances so severe where all of the facts of "why" aren't necessary for judgement. I also don't think anyone has to be perfect to judge or hate this person. The only qualifications are: Don't be a psycho babykiller. If we are sitting here posting on Rants and Raves, then I assume no one here has done anything remotely as cruel as this woman. I don't just spread hate. I take a good bead on it and fire with precision. I believe I hit the target with Ms. Bush.

Chuchi
Chuchi 03/19/08 - 12:53 pm
LiberalFaith, you are quite

LiberalFaith, you are quite correct; grownups have been hurting children since... well, always. The good old days weren't always so good. Read the Bible for a couple of examples, most notably the slaughter of the little boys by Pharaoh in Exodus and Herod in the New Testament. There are lots of people out there who will take an unwanted baby with no judgment passed and no questions asked. It is a tragedy that this young mother didn't simply give her child away to someone who wanted her, or at least ask for help from people who would have charitably assisted her. There is help available if a mom asks for it, no matter what cynics say. Poor baby Amarie; she deserved so much better. Well, God loves her and He has her in His lap in Heaven now. I hope I can be good enough to meet that sweet little infant there one day.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 03/19/08 - 12:54 pm
Whoa, there Southernmomma,

Whoa, there Southernmomma, As for this woman, I can tell you that when I had my first born, I was exhausted, frustrated with a colicy baby, and my patience was to be exercised. BUT==I got help from neighbors and friends BEFORE taking any drastic measures. I HAVE NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER hit my kid with my fist until she died!!! I will NOT EXCUSE THIS BEHAVIOR FROM ANY MOTHER----PERIOD! When she apologizes, I will forgive, but until then, she should STAY IN JAIL !!!!!!! OOOOOH this angers me to no end!!!!!

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...