Mother charged in death of infant

NORTH AUGUSTA --- A 24-year-old mother of three was charged Tuesday in the beating death of her 4-month-old daughter, police said.

Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.  Special
Special
Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.

Adrienne Michelle Bush is charged with homicide by child abuse in the death Friday of Amarie Tre'chelle Thurmond, police said.

On Tuesday, North Augusta investigators arrested Ms. Bush after interviewing her and the child's father, North Augusta Lt. Tim Counts said.

"Once we interviewed the father and we interviewed the mother, she admitted and confessed to actually striking the child with her fist repeatedly on the head, which we believe ... produced the head trauma which caused the child's death," Lt. Counts said.

He said no motive has been determined.

Emergency personnel were called about 11:30 a.m. Friday to Ms. Bush's home in the Breckinridge II Apartments on East Martintown Road and found her holding the infant's body, according to a police report.

"The child was obviously dead," the lieutenant said. The infant was not breathing and was showing signs of rigor mortis when authorities arrived.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said a Saturday autopsy determined Amarie died of massive head trauma.

The infant's father was likely at the home at the time of the incident, but Lt. Counts said investigators believe the man was busy tending to Ms. Bush's 6-year-old child from a prior relationship and the couple's 2-year-old.

"At this point in the investigation, we don't have any reason to believe he was involved in the child's death, nor do we believe he had any knowledge of (a crime)," Lt. Counts said. No charges are expected against him, he said.

Investigators say they do not know whether Ms. Bush has a history of abusive behavior.

Reach J. Scott Trubey at (706) 823-3424 or scott.trubey@augustachronicle.com.

whatdahell
whatdahell 03/19/08 - 08:22 am
This makes me so mad...I'm

This makes me so mad...I'm screaming. I am so sick and tired of reading of adults hurting our children. I can't have children and would give anything in the world to be someone's mother so it always tears me up when I read about those who are "blessed" to be parents, but yet choose to hurt their child. Lord help us alll!

bullet40
bullet40 03/19/08 - 08:24 am
gofigure, there is no excuse,

gofigure, there is no excuse, post partum depression is just a cop out. If you look at her picture there isno remorse. Her fellings for that child were no more than a person would have for a rodent. Hang her in public!

LaTwon
LaTwon 03/19/08 - 08:29 am
mighty christian of you

mighty christian of you christian.......... you are a hawk so it would be ok if say the baby was iraqi and she had dropped some napalm on it i assume? or starved her and deprived her of medicine? madeline albright was all for that. she must share your values. you think maybe this lady had a demon and can be saved? i guess not just torture her the rest of her days.

Just me 2
Just me 2 03/19/08 - 08:30 am
She needs the death penalty

She needs the death penalty and put out of society's misery!
And not ten, twenty or thirty years from now! It should be done quickly!!!!

godogs
godogs 03/19/08 - 08:32 am
We sure do have a lot of

We sure do have a lot of judgemental people on this morning. Remember what this weekend represents. Jesus died for our sins and arose!. My point being that just maybe (not defending her actions) this mother had been up all night taking care of a colic baby and unfortunately made a horrible mistake as a reaction as well as maybe going through postpardum. Until you have been in those shoes you don't have a clue about these issues and men will never understand postpardum. I well remember being up all night for days and weeks and still being at work on time the next day worn out but doing my job just to do it all over again. I in my heart don't believe for a minute this woman intentionally killed this child. I am a female who had three miscarriages and thanks to Dr. Rob Kaufmann have two wonder children, so I know the desire to want a child and lose not one but three. Let's remember not to judge because we are all sinners and our sins are no better than this womans. Pray for her as I somehow think she realizes the mistake and hopefully has asked for forgiveness. Isn't that what Easter is all about! She too can be forgiven as we can if you ask and forgive others!

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/19/08 - 08:40 am
Liberal Faith, your post

Liberal Faith, your post actually made sense and I agree with it. Nice job.

christian134
christian134 03/19/08 - 08:40 am
LaTowan you have made

LaTowan you have made absolutely no sense at all in what you have written......

ripjones
ripjones 03/19/08 - 08:43 am
Bullet40 - You've got the

Bullet40 - You've got the right idea. Once again, I did not read the word "husband", but did read the words "mother of three". I firmly believe this is where the root of the problem lies. Children require a mother/father, husband/wife. I do not want to treat her, or feed/clothe her for the rest of her rotten life. Yes, Jesus died for our sins, and she will be judged when the time comes. I'm just saying that she killed an innocent child, and we need to do what we can to help her get to Judgement, as quickly as possible. Her other two children should each be placed in loving families, where they will not suffer the same fate as their sister.

426Hemi
426Hemi 03/19/08 - 08:46 am
incarceration and

incarceration and sterilization.

arue
arue 03/19/08 - 08:47 am
This is so cruel... my

This is so cruel... my friend's baby just died because she was born to early.. and this MONSTER goes and kills her baby... I am totally sickened by this and they should let the women in the jail get at her beat HER in the head the way she did her baby!!!!

scgirl
scgirl 03/19/08 - 08:48 am
It is sad to hear of a

It is sad to hear of a precious life being taking away when people are out there that would LOVE to adopt. I am like anonymous 22, I have two wonderful girls!! You do have stressful days but look at all the wonderful times you have watching them grow. I have a 9 year old and a 2 year old and wouldnt give them up or even think about hurting them. If she dont like her life then take your own D@MN life. Leave the kids alone. The kids are Gods gifts to us so take care of them and protect them!!!!!

christian134
christian134 03/19/08 - 08:51 am
Southernmomma I could

Southernmomma I could probably go along with what you said but their really are some very bad people in this world. God can and will forgive her, we are all supposed to forgive(I am very thankfull to the Almighty God and Jesus Christ for this amazing mercy and forgiveness) but you know what that baby had no say whatsoever while this post-pardum tired person was beating it to death. People are built with a natural instinct to know right from wrong....some things many things fall in the grey area but torturing, beating and killing an infant or any child does not and is just evil.

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 03/19/08 - 08:52 am
Southernmomma, this woman

Southernmomma, this woman didn't miscarry a child, she MURDERED her child. Yes I do judge her. She is a monster who will hopefully be removed from society forever. Better yet, removed from the face of the planet!

lostmymind
lostmymind 03/19/08 - 08:57 am
Yes she did a terrible thing,

Yes she did a terrible thing, no words can really describe it. She can be forgiven if she askes God for forgiveness, but she will also will have to pay the consequences of her actions

lostmymind
lostmymind 03/19/08 - 08:58 am
BTW God does not see gray, a

BTW God does not see gray, a sin is a sin in His eyes.

dani
dani 03/19/08 - 09:02 am
christian..you left out the

christian..you left out the fact that god will forgive her if she asks for forgiveness. She might, like some of the others, justify the act iand not think she needs forgiveness.

scgirl
scgirl 03/19/08 - 09:07 am
Southernmomma it is just hard

Southernmomma it is just hard to not judge someone when they KILL an innocent life. That baby never got a chance of life. POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION is NO excuse for killing a baby. She could have been put on medicine and gotten help from friends and family to help take care of the baby. But people like that dont need to have any more babies. They need to tie, burn and cut them tubes!!!!

godogs
godogs 03/19/08 - 09:07 am
RollingEyes, I sure hope you

RollingEyes, I sure hope you are perfect because you are on a fast tract to Hell with your attidude. Did you ever read Judge not least you be Judged. I very well know this mother murdered her child and I am not defending her actions but maybe just maybe she she reacted before thinking. You have no way of knowing what this woman was going through. Maybe the boyfriend that was there was a good man and maybe he wasn't we don't know the circumstances of that home. I understand the child had no say so just like my child had no say so when I backhanded him for smart mouthing me. It was a reaction and fortunately I haven't done it again, but then he hasn't really smart mouthed me the same way again eitehr. I am just saying she may have reacted out of tiredness, frustration of a child that wouldn't stop crying, until you have walked those shoes of a screaming child for days and nights and working all at the same time you have no clue. This woman will suffer as now she has not only lost this one child but her other two as well. She will be imprisioned for her crime. I say if you have a neighbor with a baby, offer to give them time and a break instead of judging them.

cash bail
cash bail 03/19/08 - 09:15 am
ripjone Get you head out of

ripjone

Get you head out of your a.... So what she didn't have a husband and so what if she had 3 or 30 kids. She did what she of her own reasons beyound us every finding out probably. This has nothing to do with a husband or money. Children require someone to love them and Love them. No matter if it's a single mother, or husband/wife or a single father. LOVE, SUPPORT, SAFETY for all kids no matter who is willing to care for them.

godogs
godogs 03/19/08 - 09:15 am
Hate the sin and love the

Hate the sin and love the sinner. This country is so full of hate and judgement. I sure hope this weekend will bring rededication of lives to Christ because if he comes tomorrow I see many here and how many more outside of this context going to Hell quickly. Let me assure you yours sins are no less than this womans. I know this child was innocent and didn't have a sayso in this and my heart breaks for this child and their family. It is sad that things get to this point. Maybe we should start being better neighbors by offering time to stressed mothers or just visiting and checking in and seeing if things are ok or if the mother is stressed. Only God knows the mind of this mother but he also knows her heart and ours as well.

cash bail
cash bail 03/19/08 - 09:19 am
My thing is that if post

My thing is that if post partum depression was detected from ANY attending doctor, then DFAC

cash bail
cash bail 03/19/08 - 09:22 am
My opinion is that if any

My opinion is that if any attending Doctor detect post pardum depression from any mother, adopted mother, caregiver or father then any and all children should be taken out of the home until further notice. They don't know if the medicine will or will not work. There should be some kind of way to help our kids grow up to be what God intented them to be in his World.

Opinionated
Opinionated 03/19/08 - 09:23 am
You shouldn't open your legs

You shouldn't open your legs if you can't take the responsibilitiy of what comes after. Throw her under the jail. There's no excuse. I don't think there's any excuse for popping a infant nevertheless beating them. She should e shot.

dani
dani 03/19/08 - 09:31 am
southernmama...I cant change

southernmama...I cant change the fact that my sympathies lie with the child and not the killer. That is part of my judgemental nature.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/19/08 - 09:31 am
Rollingeyes, I like the cut

Rollingeyes, I like the cut of your jib. Welcome to the team.

YESWECAN
YESWECAN 03/19/08 - 09:31 am
omg...this is soooooo messed

omg...this is soooooo messed up!! speechless

christian134
christian134 03/19/08 - 09:33 am
There is not excuse for what

There is not excuse for what she has done. As a parent of 5, raising them with barely or no money at times stressed out plenty it was never a consideration on my part to kill them.....There is evil in this world and it will not go away until Jesus returns. Furthermore there are supposed to be laws that are in place for crimes committed and they should be enforced vigoroursly. We are supposed to keep the babies safe, discipline yes but not beat them to death.....

devonae
devonae 03/19/08 - 09:46 am
Liberal Faith, yes, abuse has

Liberal Faith, yes, abuse has been around since the beginning of time, BUT, the fact of the matter is, it no longer shocks anyone or brings on the shame that it once did. I totally agree with patriciathomas, Accountability, or the lack thereof is the problem. I DO believe in compassion, but I also believe that you must pay the price when you make bad or horrific choices. Another thing I don't understand is, if it was clear to the authorities when they arrived that the child was dead and rigor mortis had set in. If this is the case, HOW ON EARTH did Lt. Counts have SOME knowledge of the crime! That just does NOT add up!

WAG
WAG 03/19/08 - 09:54 am
Southernmomma she must be

Southernmomma she must be related to you...Get over it she killed her baby....How did the boyfriend, husband or whatever not hear what was going on???? Those apts are not that big....She is a monstor...Wonder how many times she beat the baby before she killed it...and how many times the other kids have been abused... I was very young when I had 3 kids and I was stressed very stressed but I did not beat my children..Stop defending her....

WAG