Mother charged in death of infant

NORTH AUGUSTA --- A 24-year-old mother of three was charged Tuesday in the beating death of her 4-month-old daughter, police said.

Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.  Special
Special
Adrienne Michelle Bush told authorities that she struck her child in the head.

Adrienne Michelle Bush is charged with homicide by child abuse in the death Friday of Amarie Tre'chelle Thurmond, police said.

On Tuesday, North Augusta investigators arrested Ms. Bush after interviewing her and the child's father, North Augusta Lt. Tim Counts said.

"Once we interviewed the father and we interviewed the mother, she admitted and confessed to actually striking the child with her fist repeatedly on the head, which we believe ... produced the head trauma which caused the child's death," Lt. Counts said.

He said no motive has been determined.

Emergency personnel were called about 11:30 a.m. Friday to Ms. Bush's home in the Breckinridge II Apartments on East Martintown Road and found her holding the infant's body, according to a police report.

"The child was obviously dead," the lieutenant said. The infant was not breathing and was showing signs of rigor mortis when authorities arrived.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said a Saturday autopsy determined Amarie died of massive head trauma.

The infant's father was likely at the home at the time of the incident, but Lt. Counts said investigators believe the man was busy tending to Ms. Bush's 6-year-old child from a prior relationship and the couple's 2-year-old.

"At this point in the investigation, we don't have any reason to believe he was involved in the child's death, nor do we believe he had any knowledge of (a crime)," Lt. Counts said. No charges are expected against him, he said.

Investigators say they do not know whether Ms. Bush has a history of abusive behavior.

Reach J. Scott Trubey at (706) 823-3424 or scott.trubey@augustachronicle.com.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 03/19/08 - 01:05 am
This makes my blood BOIL!

This makes my blood BOIL! Keep her in jail!!!!

Dark_Knight
Dark_Knight 03/19/08 - 01:30 am
How Cruel. My only question

How Cruel. My only question is why? Why would you do such a thing?

truetolife
truetolife 03/19/08 - 02:09 am
This young mother has some

This young mother has some issues and is going to need major treament. She should spend a long sentence for this crime that she has committed. If she felt that she could not have handled three children she should have given this child and her other children a life that they deserve and not take a life. She is wrong and I feel sorry for her because she doesn't know what she has done.

tappat
tappat 03/19/08 - 02:16 am
This you lady appears to show

This you lady appears to show some signs of having mental issues judging by the expression on her face. What mother would strike a young infant (not only a infant but any child)who wasn't asked to be brought in this world and not have some kind of mental disorder. I hope she gets the help she need and pay for the crime she has committed.

toppergem
toppergem 03/19/08 - 02:50 am
Just because you have the

Just because you have the ability to become pregnant...does not mean you should. Sound a little harsh...yes, maybe it does. Everyone is not capable or fit to parent. This young woman did not need to have another child. One small child is a handful. Three small children is a major challenge and it takes a special person to deal with just such a situation. She was clearly troubled. Anyone who abuses a defenseless child has got to be suffering emotional and mentally.

truetolife
truetolife 03/19/08 - 02:55 am
Looking at what the reporter

Looking at what the reporter states, we don't know where the six year old child was and I pray that he was not near his mother and watched his mother commit murder could you imagine, how he would feel for the rest of his life, knowing that his mother killed his silbling.

timereader
timereader 03/19/08 - 03:39 am
why have kids if you are not

why have kids if you are not going to take care of them. somebody needs to get the other 2 away from her. she doesn't deserve them. hope she never gets out of jail.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/19/08 - 03:44 am
I'm gonna have to side with

I'm gonna have to side with DeborahElliot on this one. I don't believe this is a treatable thing, I don't even think it should be. I believe in good old fashioned punishment. This is the most serious crime thinkable, the punishment should fit such an offense. Life in prison or death penalty. There is no acceptable excuse.

barchafin
barchafin 03/19/08 - 04:00 am
This ia another resu;t of our

This ia another resu;t of our child welfare system.

RobbyLogan
RobbyLogan 03/19/08 - 04:02 am
I believe that if someone

I believe that if someone kills a child who is not sick, then it should be mandatory life without parole or the death penalty. Justice needs to remember the innocent, and a child is the most innocent of them all.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/19/08 - 04:02 am
This is one of the products

This is one of the products of the non-accountability part of our culture. Often, life has little value to today's youth. Responsibility has been removed from every day life, in the eyes of many. This way to common occurrence is just one of the results. Punishment, treatment, anger....nothing will restore the child's life or stop this horrible injustice from happening elsewhere.

christian134
christian134 03/19/08 - 04:05 am
Now let someone tell me it is

Now let someone tell me it is wrong to condemn what this demon has done.......The words fail me ....put this trash under the jail with pictures continually being flashed on the four walls surrounding her as well as crying sounds of her child.....

WHAT9
WHAT9 03/19/08 - 04:22 am
This is a response to

This is a response to barchafin. Do not assume she is in the system. Child abuse happens in all socio-economic backgrounds.

what
what 03/19/08 - 05:16 am
This just makes me beyond

This just makes me beyond sick!!! I am 4 months pregnant and my husband and I pray each night that our son will be born healthy. Then we turn on the news or open the newspaper and have to read about a parent who cares so little for their child and resorts to murder. I cannot express the anger and sadness I feel right now. May God be with the family during this sad time.

peonynut
peonynut 03/19/08 - 05:33 am
Treatment? The best

Treatment? The best treatment is that needle in the arm.

barchafin
barchafin 03/19/08 - 05:35 am
they need to dojng

they need to dojng something about people having so many children.they are killing childrens, my daughter had cancer , and cant have chilrens,

christian134
christian134 03/19/08 - 05:43 am
Congratulations what?!?! Have

Congratulations what?!?! Have five of my own ...each one a precious gift of God

barchafin
barchafin 03/19/08 - 05:49 am
Sorry. My mistake.

Sorry. My mistake.

justus4
justus4 03/19/08 - 05:57 am
Something smells funny about

Something smells funny about this story>the Lt. of the police and the coroner are on the same side. Their opinions must be investigated and validated by someone credible, because of the idiot factor of the public. And is this the same coroner from the train wreck? If so, his opinion must be re-checked.

shivas
shivas 03/19/08 - 05:57 am
This is not a product of our

This is not a product of our sinister society or lack of morals. Cruelty to children and death by parents has been around since time began. No part of our society accepts this behavior, and she will suffer the consequences. Some people try to tie every unfortunate event to decay in morals and society, and then use this for politcal gain. Child deaths and child abuse rates are actually declining in our society, but even one instance cannot be tolerated. Also, child abuse is not particular to one socieo-economic status as it happens in the upper crust just as often as the lower classes.

bullet40
bullet40 03/19/08 - 06:05 am
Simple solution, hang her in

Simple solution, hang her in public. There is no help for her. She has absolutely no redeeming values.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 03/19/08 - 06:12 am
tappat I agree she looks a

tappat I agree she looks a little mentally challenged, she probably has no clue how serious this crime is. And when it finally hits home she will be brought to her knees with sadness. And I agree WHAT where does this article say she was in the system. My prayers go out to the families affected by this tragedy.

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/19/08 - 06:14 am
Sad story but unfortunately

Sad story but unfortunately one that we hear of all to often. Sounds strange that the boyfriend didn't hear anything, surely the baby was crying out as it was being beat in the head....who knows, it's just sad that another childs life was taken. It is bad enough when a stranger kills a child but when it is a parent you have to wonder what coldness they have inside of them to do this to their on blood.

dani
dani 03/19/08 - 06:21 am
Isn't it possible that this

Isn't it possible that this is not an emotional disturbed but an evil person?

anonymous22
anonymous22 03/19/08 - 06:53 am
i have 3 kids of my own and

i have 3 kids of my own and some days are stressful but never in my life do i think i should beat them senseless. there are so many more smiles and laughs that make it all worthwhile. I feel no sympathy to this baby killer, may she rot in jail

gadawg61
gadawg61 03/19/08 - 07:01 am
somebody needs to beat her in

somebody needs to beat her in the head until she dies. people like this don't deserve to be locked away forever. i believe in an eye for an eye just like in the bible.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 03/19/08 - 07:03 am
She should have her tubes

She should have her tubes tied around her neck!

gofigure
gofigure 03/19/08 - 07:11 am
I do not condone murder or

I do not condone murder or child abuse, however, please look at this woman wit ha little compassion. She may be a person of post partum depression. No one really knows the motive behind her actions. It is already difficult enough to raise children in your right mind let alone a mind of depression. My heart and prayers go out to the entire family.

luv2scrapbk
luv2scrapbk 03/19/08 - 07:21 am
This story sickens me, there

This story sickens me, there are some very mentally sick people in this world. I am a mother and I thank the Lord everyday my child was put on this earth. My husband and I have been blessed with a precious gift. WHAT IS WRONG WITH A MOTHER WANTING TO TAKE HER OWN CHILD'S LIFE? I have to agree with GaDawg on this one an eye for an eye. This woman should be tortured the same way she torturedand killed her child,

dani
dani 03/19/08 - 07:22 am
gofigure..I have no

gofigure..I have no compassion for this person or anyone who would inflict such pain on an innocent, helpless baby.