Curfew imposition was out of line

While I can understand Aiken County Sheriff Michael Hunt's need to control traffic after the recent storms ("Storms slam Aiken County," March 16), he went way beyond his legal rights to declare a curfew for all Aiken County from about 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.

That order is legally correct and appropriate only in cases where civil unrest becomes violent, such as the anarchy and crime sprees in New Orleans after Katrina. To impose it on a law-abiding citizenry is grossly overstepping his authority and downright fascist.

He needs serious educating in civil rights. I wanted to just take an elderly neighbor some candles without getting arrested, but I couldn't.

Is this America or not?

Etta Groussman, Aiken, S.C.

christian134
christian134 03/18/08 - 04:49 am
My take on this situation is

My take on this situation is that Sheriff Mike Hunt made the correct decision in light of the looting. This may have been an inconvience to some but the fact remains; the Sheriff was looking out for the welfare of all and takes priority over all else. One of the lowest forms of life are those that prey on the disasters of others. I am most sorry for the lady I do hope she made it through okay...All this does is to remind me that I need to make up an emergency kit and put it in the area I would go into for shelter.

naugliberal
naugliberal 03/18/08 - 05:48 am
What looting?

What looting?

christian134
christian134 03/18/08 - 06:07 am
looting was reported to the

looting was reported to the Aiken Country Sheriffs department ....March 16th 2008 in Clearwater

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/18/08 - 06:57 am
The sheriff took the right

The sheriff took the right steps at the right time. The group mind works like the weakest link in a chain, so the authority needed to step in and allow the necessary work to be done. The system worked perfectly. The curfew was lifted and all is well. This LTE was not very well thought out.

KSL
KSL 03/18/08 - 07:17 am
Imposing it for the entire

Imposing it for the entire county, if that is what he did, was a overkill. Where I live, near downtown Aiken, we hardly knew there was a storm going on. The damage was localized. For a curfew to imposed on area the size of Rhode Island is over the top. By the way, yesterday I glanced at something here that said there had been no reports of looting. Which is it?

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/18/08 - 07:30 am
I believe that both Aiken and

I believe that both Aiken and Jefferson County was both correct in having mandatory curfews. They are there to protect the public, whether for safety or from looting. If they had not inpossed a curfew and something bad had happened you would be blaming them not not doing enough. You know you can't please everyone and someone is always going to find fault in something. Go figure........I think they were right.....

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/18/08 - 07:40 am
I think everyone should have

I think everyone should have to be indoors and in bed by 10:00 pm...no exceptions. My granny always told me, only crazy people are out when the sun goes down.

critter
critter 03/18/08 - 07:40 am
There were reports of looting

There were reports of looting in Clearwater - why anyone would be looting in Clearwater is beyond me, nothing worth stealing there...

scgirl
scgirl 03/18/08 - 07:44 am
I think Mike Hunt did the

I think Mike Hunt did the right thing because everyone was not sure of how much damage was done and where it took place. If this would have been your places destroyed you would want the same thing done. The curfew to me was for the respect of the ones in trouble. There ARE alot of nosey people that would have got into their cars to ride around to see the damage. The electric people and the tree cutting companys needed to get to places where they were needed most. I cant believe that some people think he over reacted. Like 5:00smwhr said if he wouldnt have done it and something bad happen yall would still be complaining. JUST THINK GOD THAT NO ONE WAS SERIOUSLY INJURED AND THAT NO ONE WAS KILLED.

GR-10
GR-10 03/18/08 - 07:50 am
I support the curfew. It

I support the curfew. It stopped looting, voyeurism as well as shady people coming in to help people who were victims, by relieving them of their money and doing shoddy or over priced work.

karmakills123
karmakills123 03/18/08 - 08:48 am
Trust me scgirl there were

Trust me scgirl there were groups of gawkers in my neighborhood right after the storm and into the next day ..folks trying to get equipment in to take care fof business were hampered by these idiots who were driving by in cars loaded down with kids, dogs and granny all pointing and rubber-necking...amazing! As I am cleaning my yard and watching them ,(I had no severe damage but folks across the street and all around were removing trees from their homes)I just wanted to yell..watcha staring at???!!

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 03/18/08 - 09:13 am
i'm glad to know there are

i'm glad to know there are people out there who must be told what ,where, how and when to do when a simple damn storm hits...geez, what if we had a real disaster on the level of katrina,the asian tsunami, or hugo/
people are free to take care of themselves,their families w/o the benefit of the damn "authorities"...they are simply men as we are , not some super hero....the curfew was bs.

pablanco
pablanco 03/18/08 - 09:47 am
I support his decision. The

I support his decision. The writer is also misinformed. It was NOT countrywide. Sometime before midnight, it was changed tfrom Pine log rd, to aiken 118, down to atomic rd. And as far as i know, nobody got arrested for the curfew. it was to protect us. There job is to protect us. You want anarchy?

pm29803
pm29803 03/18/08 - 10:28 am
I'm shocked so many people

I'm shocked so many people agree with what Hunt did. The S.O. already has the right to control/route traffic for safety AND the right to STOP ANYONE, e.g., potential looters, they believe is suspect. That doesn't require a curfew, which imprisons the majority of the people without cause. This was not Katrina. I suggest those who agree with him go back to school and learn about the rights given us by the U.S. Constitution & its Amendments. (I retired from the NE and am always shocked how ignorant locals are about those rights & their abuse by those in power. Probably the bad schools here?)

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 03/18/08 - 10:31 am
anarchy..............????????

anarchy..............????????
you people are amazing.........and gr-10...voyeurism?????
gimme an everlovin' break.
bulliten-bulliten-bulliten....a shady character was spotted peering through the windows of unsuspecting citizens today,65 mph winds,hail,lightening,and falling trees notwithstanding.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/18/08 - 10:39 am
Groussman, If you had

Groussman, If you had legitamate business to go out you could, They wouldn't arrest you for going to work, or getting milk from the store for your baby, it is a deterrance for those going out with no business to conduct for looters and to make access for the emergency vehicles and crews to get through.. etc... Was is that much of an inconvience to stay at home a few hours and at night?????? Did it ruin your staurday night so you couldnt go barhopping??? Oh please you really thought walking next dorr to a neighbor a block over would get you arrested?? you are helping another victim who needs help.. WTH!!!! I don't buy your story. You need a life if this upset you!!!! Had been no curfew and you house was the one that was looted and robbed while you were gone for only an hour or the emergency crews couldnt get to you from all the traffic of the rubberneckers who have no legit bus. out like karma said maybe you would learn.. after all you seem to be one of the few who doesn't understand the curfew concept and what its about, if they didnt and something happened they would catch heck for it. you seem like a kid, but yet you thought you were grown enough to write to the AC, but yet you look stupid and whine for the whole CSRA to see how stupid you are.. and put your name to it!!!! I bet your family and friends are laughing their butts off at you from this article... wait maybe you have support from the peanut gallery.. if so you all need a little help and have a little growing up to do!!!!!!

chrisspires
chrisspires 03/18/08 - 10:48 am
The county wide curfew was

The county wide curfew was imposed at a time when storm damage was thought to be much more extensive. As soon a better understanding of the extent of damage was had, the curfew was lifted for all but the actual affected areas from 118 to Atomic Rd, from Pine Log to Ascaga.

The curfew was imposed partly due to reports of looting, but also because the amount of traffic on 421 and other damaged area quickly reached traffic jam levels. Add to that all of the traffic lights being out, darkened conditions due to power outages, debris in the roads, victims and emergency workers out in these same darkened damaged streets, and you can understand why a curfew was imposed. True traffic could have been controlled on a street by street basis, but resources were put to much better use actually assisting with the emergency than policing traffic...traffic which should not have been there in the first place.

It never stops to amaze me how many people think the smart thing to do during an emergency, is grab a beer, the video camera, and pile the family up in the pickup to go for an entertaining spin through dangerous debris strewn streets.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 03/18/08 - 10:48 am
well takeastand...i'm

well takeastand...i'm laughing my butt off at the mental image of you running around crying "the sky is falling...the looters are coming...the sky is falling...the looters are coming"
hat's off to etta, and viva la peanut galleria!!!your insinuation about barhopping is a low blow, but since you cannot defend the stupidity of a knee jerk reaction, such as the curfew, might as well get personal, eh?????
take a stand....yeah right.....

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/18/08 - 10:58 am
It's not the fact the sky is

It's not the fact the sky is falling PLT, its the fact that what was really harmed by the curfew? If you had business you could go out... work, store, etc.. w/o being arrested. Think about it dude! DO you really buy her story she let her neighbor sit in the dark because she thought she would get arrested for taking her candles?????? and you think im a "sky is falling".. doesn't she seem a lil off to you.. is that not ridiculous.. thats why the barhopping thing came into play, seems liek they were just looking for an example to use and did not pick a good one, so either shes a lil drama queen or hiding the fact she wanted to go out partying!!would you have thought what she did and let your neighbor sit in the dark??? You don't think thats being a little dramatic, a flat out lie, or an unintelligent person incapable of common sense??? I mean get real.. I'd rather defend a knee jerk reaction done for safety concerns to cover all the basis's than to defend a nut like her who let her neighbor suffer because she was scared to walk outside and getting arrested!!!!!! A little overboard there!!! I never said I am defending it, but what harm did it really do???? Was it really enough to have a civil rights protest??? GEESH!!!! I mean grow up and get a life!

chrisspires
chrisspires 03/18/08 - 11:00 am
The fact that a curfew had to

The fact that a curfew had to be imposed in an attempt to keep people off the streets in damaged areas is the real problem here. I don't agree with every policy sheriff Hunt puts into place. However, the curfew during the storm was simply a proactive action taken by someone willing to do what was necessary, without the self serving worry of what an otherwise clueless voting public might think. Honestly, you just can't do anything to please "the people". If the government doesn't do something they are criticized for inaction, but when they take action, they are labeled fascist and anti-American. In a world where people are too stupid to realize fresh brewed coffee could burn their sensitive little lips...it's good to know there are people out there willing to smack that smoldering cup of coffee out of their hands, without concern for the inevitable lawsuit for personal assault and invasion of privacy which would surely ensue. Wake Up! Idiots.

Bing0
Bing0 03/18/08 - 11:16 am
In 5 to 10 years, people will

In 5 to 10 years, people will wake up as though they had been in dreamy sleep and say "wait...what happened to our freedom?"

chrisspires
chrisspires 03/18/08 - 11:21 am
Bing0...I don't disagree with

Bing0...I don't disagree with you there at all. But this isn't an issue of freedom. It's an issue of common sense. Some people just seem to lack it. So other's have to compensate by playing to the lowest common denominator.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/18/08 - 11:23 am
lol..Amen to all 3 of your

lol..Amen to all 3 of your posts chrisspires!!!!!

good7ness7
good7ness7 03/18/08 - 11:27 am
Same thing happened in Wrens

Same thing happened in Wrens Saturday night.
Present at the time and there was no violent activity or any activity other that the "good ole boys" trying to organize after the storm, rather than having a proactive plan in place.
It was a joke!

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 03/18/08 - 12:21 pm
crisspires...my 18 and 16 yr

crisspires...my 18 and 16 yr old sons, grabbed a co-cola,loaded up and rode thru thr debris strewn streets, went back sunday and made $300.00 plus removing trees and limbs....ya know, everybody isn't on the earthworm end of the i.q. barometer...and i still am dying laughing over the voyeurism comment...please!!!!!!!

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 03/18/08 - 12:41 pm
At least it was voyeurism and

At least it was voyeurism and not exhibitionism. Hee hee!

Bing0
Bing0 03/18/08 - 12:42 pm
chrisspires, I see that you

chrisspires, I see that you have support for your position where you call people who disagree idiots? Are you serious??
All I know for certain is this: I was driving home from working in Aiken at around 11:00 pm Saturday night. I did not know about the curfew and my route from Aiken usually takes me down Pine Log Rd. where I turn at the Richardson's Lake Rd. Intersection to go through the Valley to Hwy. 1. I was forced to travel down Pine Log Rd. Parallel to 421 to get home. There were far more than enough SCHP and Sheriff's department vehicles to control ANY amount of looting in the Valley and that was just the number of vehicles that I saw on my way home. Keep in mind that this was 3 or 4 hours after the storm and damage had been assessed. Hindsight is 20/20 and Sheriff Hunt did what he thought was right I am sure. But...a county wide curfew was way overkill.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 03/18/08 - 12:49 pm
bing0...my point ecxactly...a

bing0...my point ecxactly...a good friend of mine left his house,went walmart bought some candles,other stuff, "cops" wouldn't let him back in his neighborhood....he left there app 30-40 mins before. that's the stupidity that scares hell out of me about knot-heads w/ guns and the power to dictate what people can and can't do...i mean , jeseus, he had his id, showing his address...how dummy proof does it need to be???

jack
jack 03/18/08 - 12:58 pm
Just like Bush who has taken

Just like Bush who has taken th necessary streps to prevent another 9/11 and gets bashed, the Sheriff imposed the curfew to protect the folks that live in Aiken County. Had looting been allowed to happen because the Sheriff didn't impose the curfew, no doubt he would have been bashed by the complaining airheads on here.

Bing0