Gas at record prices

The cost of filling the family car climbed to a record high Tuesday. Gas prices at the pump rose overnight to a record national average of $3.2272 a gallon, according to AAA and the Oil Price Information Service, just higher than the previous record of $3.2265, set last May.

MORE BAD NEWS: Soaring gas prices worsen the financial plight of consumers already suffering through a downturn in the housing market that has sharply reduced home prices in many markets and limited Americans' ability to tap home equity for spending. Food prices are also on the rise, partly because of rising fuel costs.

CHEAPER HERE: The average price of gasoline in the Augusta-Aiken area Tuesday was $3.08 per unleaded gallon, with some prices as high as $3.19, said Judy Reville, AAA Augusta division manager. A month ago, the average price for a gallon of unleaded gas was $2.82.

brace yourself: Prices will likely increase to $3.75 by the time the summer travel season begins, Mrs. Reville said. The Energy Department on Tuesday raised its forecast of how high prices will increase this spring by a dime, to $3.50 a gallon.

WHAT'S NEXT: Where gas and oil go is anybody's guess. Many analysts expect prices to moderate, while others predict oil could keep rising, to $120 a barrel or higher. That would be about $10 a barrel more than Tuesday's new trading record of $109.72 for light, sweet crude on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

DON'T LOOK TO WASHINGTON: Presidential spokeswoman Dana Perino said Tuesday that the White House is concerned about the impact on consumers and businesses, but "It would be wrong of the president to provide false hope to people to think that we are going to be able to have an immediate impact to reduce gas prices. This is something that we're all going to have to work through."

-- From staff and wire reports

nonumberplease
nonumberplease 03/12/08 - 04:27 am
It is time for all drivers to

It is time for all drivers to start using their heads and let's cut
back on supply and demand of gasoline. If you have to go to
a convenient store, instead of driving one or two blocks, walk,
it is healthier and you'll enjoy the great outdoors. Start buying
groceries once a week instead of everyday, eat out less and
enjoy your family at home, plus you know what you're eating
for your weight control. Pay bills by mail, phone, or on-line.Plan your shopping to save mileage. Think about it, if we all did
just these simple things all over the nation, the supply and demand would go down and so would prices!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/12/08 - 04:50 am
I'd like to add, less

I'd like to add, less baseball practice. I have to pick my kid up 6 days a week. his bus comes by twice a day whether he's on it or not.

RobbyLogan
RobbyLogan 03/12/08 - 05:35 am
The crazy thing that I have

The crazy thing that I have noticed is the higher the gas price, the more traffic I see on the road. I leave for work at 10:00pm everyday and before the price of gas increased there wasn't that much traffic out that late, weekends excluded. Now it seems there is more vehicles on the road late at night, go figure?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/12/08 - 05:52 am
I go to work at 10:30 pm also

I go to work at 10:30 pm also and see alot of traffic. I can't figure it out, most things are closed by that time.

christian134
christian134 03/12/08 - 06:24 am
Maybe time to pull out the

Maybe time to pull out the horse and buggies again....:-) It's gotta be cheaper.......

nboggs
nboggs 03/12/08 - 06:45 am
Have you seen the price of

Have you seen the price of hay lately?

Reality
Reality 03/12/08 - 06:51 am
What is going on in the

What is going on in the Hydrogen automobile market? It would so nice to tell the Middle East to keep their oil, we don't need it....Until then we will have to bow down to them and still get screwed over...

ctchpln
ctchpln 03/12/08 - 07:10 am
I agree with you,

I agree with you, nonumberplease. We do need to walk more and be on the road less.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/12/08 - 07:30 am
How much is the oil we pump

How much is the oil we pump here? I notice every time oil goes up the natural gas companies jump on the band wagon.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 03/12/08 - 07:46 am
Nobody ever car pools

Nobody ever car pools anymore, I know that people can all chip in for gas for one vehicle and still get to work on time, although it does require leaving a little earlier, but it does save gas and money in the long run.

mojo
mojo 03/12/08 - 08:34 am
nonumberplease - the steps

nonumberplease - the steps you mention affect demand - not supply - supply is actually adequate for demand - the shortage of domestic refining capacity and 40+ year low dollar value are the culprits for today's high gasoline prices - two issues that conservation won't change - while you're scrimping to save - ask your political leaders why they've kept their head buried in the sand on this issue.

mojo
mojo 03/12/08 - 08:34 am
DeborahElliot - speak for

DeborahElliot - speak for yourself - some of us carpool at least twice a day.

critter
critter 03/12/08 - 08:47 am
Buy a motorcycle - great MPG

Buy a motorcycle - great MPG and easy parking!

S.C. Dawg
S.C. Dawg 03/12/08 - 08:53 am
You can get ins and permit

You can get ins and permit for your golf cart good for secondary rds up to 2 miles from origin

JFJ
JFJ 03/12/08 - 08:58 am
Reality, a lot of progress

Reality, a lot of progress is being made on the hydrogen front. The most impressive I've seen is by a private individual. He was shut down by the EPA a couple of years ago but has found a way around them and is working on his project again. Check out the website http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/ I'd love to make the switch!

dani
dani 03/12/08 - 08:59 am
You can buy a really nice

You can buy a really nice bicycle with even less mpg.

christian134
christian134 03/12/08 - 09:16 am
dani I like the idea of a

dani I like the idea of a bicycle for the idea of riding up and down hills is a little much these days....:-) Need that horse ...

karmakills123
karmakills123 03/12/08 - 09:22 am
Ditch the gas guzzeling..road

Ditch the gas guzzeling..road hogging...parking lot bully....SUV's and take a tip from the rest of the world and drive smaller economy cars......a car is a tool to get you from point A to point B....doesnt need to be a "look at me" thing..........

read this
read this 03/12/08 - 09:23 am
Thing is too that when the

Thing is too that when the dispenser has a sign on it saying "Enriched with up to 10% ethanol", your mileage will go down 1 to 3%, and some cars even more. That means more trips to get gas. Thanks to politicians making you think they are doing something to help. If they started by dropping the speed limit to 55MPH, do you know how that would help the price? Demand goes down, supply stays the same, price goes down. Econ 101. Carpooling could cut demand exponentially. At these prices, unless you can find a savings over 11 cents per gallon, it is best to buy straight gasoline and buy the best brands. The savings per mile is irrelevant otherwise and your car needs to last you longer. There is no telling when demand altering policies will be instituted, so you need to do it on your on.

soldout
soldout 03/12/08 - 09:33 am
over concern for the

over concern for the enviroment is the problem. We have plenty of oil available but can't drill it. The earth is not fragile. God made it strong and we can make it messy but we can't destroy it. Some still believe the global warming fraud and that hurts too. Man has no effect on global warming. Look at charts from the 30s when industrial output was almost nothing and the level in the atmosphere kept going up. Warming and cooling cycles have always been. Global warming is just another way to give government more power over your life. If you understand the wisdom of God and that He created this world and it wasn't evolution you would know we can't destroy it. The majority thinking will almost always turn out to be wrong. That works in medical, stockmarkets, education etc. In fact, most change is caused by the majority being wrong.

Tall1
Tall1 03/12/08 - 09:36 am
Please note the article

Please note the article correctly states "WHAT'S DRIVING IT: A year ago, rising demand and refinery outages raised concerns about supplies. Now the record price of crude oil is the culprit, propelling gas higher although supplies are at 15-year highs."
Today's record prices are the result of speculators and investment funds combined with the weak spine of the Fed Reserve. Printing more money to overcome economic problems was discouraged in Economics 101. Quit cutting the damn interest rates, let the dollar recover against other currencies, and the prices will get back to merely unreasonable instead of outrageous. IMHO, the fear of a recession is greater harm than an actual recession.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/12/08 - 09:38 am
Right, tried to take a walk

Right, tried to take a walk in my old neighborhood to the local track and some guy in his work uniform tried to pick me up! I'm an over the hill mom of four who was dressed for walking at the track. Do walking pants and an old jersey constitute "come-hither" clothes nowadays? Tried once again to walk at the local track on a Sunday afternoon and a 10 year old with a pellet gun shot someone behind me, I FELT effect on the air as the two shots as they went past me, they were so close. Thankfully, the fellow that was hit several yards behind me, didn't sustain any major damage to his hand, but the scar was visible months later. At the neighborhood convenience store we've had a murder, gunshots, a teen jumped and beaten up (not hearsay, I saw it happen). Around the corner on the main road, one of my brothers around the corner was assaulted and robbed, the other brother thwarted a robbery by throwing down lottery tickets that looked like money and the 50lb bag of dog food at the three guys, lifted his wife onto his shoulder and carried her off to a safe spot. The three guys wisely decided it might be better to take off in the opposite direction. No, I think I will keep driving.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/12/08 - 09:38 am
Will that do it PTHS?

Will that do it PTHS?

Tall1
Tall1 03/12/08 - 09:39 am
Right on Purvis! I believe

Right on Purvis! I believe God will pull the plug before he allows us to destroy his Earth.

teabag1963
teabag1963 03/12/08 - 09:39 am
since we have no control over

since we have no control over this den of greed and washington says to deal with it, i have one suggestion. when bush and cheney the 2 criminal sobs that think this is so funny, leave washington, strip them of their secret service protection (nixon used his own security)and make them pay for their own gas and protection. if we have to suffer eff them and let them pay something also.these oil prices escalated every year these crooks stunk up washington.

teabag1963
teabag1963 03/12/08 - 09:40 am
since we have no control over

teabag1963
teabag1963 03/12/08 - 09:45 am
baroness, ever thought about

baroness, ever thought about writing a book and including all of your daily trials and tribulations?you're like ferris bueller he did more in one day than the rest of us do in a lifetime.sell the book, make some money, and for god sakes move!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/12/08 - 09:58 am
LOL Thanks Charley, I did

LOL Thanks Charley, I did move 2 years ago, but not far enough, the second brother's incident happened very close to my new address, but on a main road. The first brother I mentioned moved back to Florida, he said he preferred the two hurricanes he had been through down there to what happened to him above and the other things that happened to him the same week in the same area. I'd write the book but it would have to be comedic because no one would believe all of it could happen to one person in a serious story. I can't believe it myself! I was in denial, too, I didn't want to believe my neighborhood was in decline and that it wasn't safe to walk to the local businesses.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/12/08 - 10:01 am
I would have posted sooner,

I would have posted sooner, but I heard an explosion or impact in the distance about the same time the power went out, so I had to reboot everything. Don't know what happened, (about 9:41am) but it was an impressive noise. Now I hear sirens, so I'm wondering if a vehicle hit a power pole. Anybody else hear it and/or see it?

massageisgood4u
massageisgood4u 03/12/08 - 10:24 am
I heard something like a

I heard something like a firing range coming from the Washington Rd and Berkmans area.