Women recall sister's hard-working spirit

Rosa Lovett said Wednesday her life has changed dramatically since her younger sister was killed in a car accident Saturday night.

Back | Next
Felder  Special
Special
Felder

Laura Latimer, whom Ms. Lovett called Laura Felder, died when the car in which she was a passenger was struck by a vehicle fleeing during a police chase down Gordon Highway.

"We were two years apart, so we grew up together," said Ms. Lovett, 44.

"Laura was a hard worker and very high-spirited. She was (a) good-looking woman who was always there for me and our family," she said.

An older sister, Norma Teck, 45, said she would remember her sister for always trying to set a strong example for two sons and two daughters.

"She always tried to set the best example for her children. She was a single parent and even worked two jobs to make sure her children were provided for," Ms. Teck said.

Ms. Felder was employed at Kellogg's, Ms. Teck said. She was a member of Macedonia Baptist Church.

Ms. Lovett said a Saturday funeral is being planned.

She also said she has yet to speak with Torris Lee Wright, her sister's boyfriend, who was driving the 1998 Pontiac Bonneville struck during the police chase.

Mr. Wright was not at his south Augusta home Wednesday night, but had been released from Medical College of Georgia Hospital that day, said Vernon Garnett, who identified himself as Mr. Wright's stepfather.

Ms. Felder graduated from Lucy C. Laney High School in 1983 and was a supporter of the Laney Wildcat alumni association.

The driver of the Chevrolet Blazer that was being pursued, Jamie Ray Clark, 19, of Jackson, is facing traffic-related charges, including first-degree vehicular homicide, according to a Richmond County jail official.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 03/06/08 - 06:34 am
I hope it was ALL WORTH IT

I hope it was ALL WORTH IT FOLKS. You all are doing an outstanding job, keep chasing those cars, and just MAYBE this won't happen again. GOD HELP YOU ALL...

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 03/06/08 - 06:36 am
you Know ALL those cars we

you Know ALL those cars we have a PROBLEM with FLEEING??

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 03/06/08 - 06:38 am
Oh, and I too am a single

Oh, and I too am a single parent who works two jobs. My kids need me as I need them. God Bless all people involved, including the dumb asses.

Dark_Knight
Dark_Knight 03/06/08 - 06:58 am
Wow.....my heart goes out to

Wow.....my heart goes out to the family. This should not have happened.

nightcop
nightcop 03/06/08 - 07:54 am
hey angie...you psycho...why

hey angie...you psycho...why don't you get a clue. i bet you would want us to chase someone that just committed a crime against you. without a doubt!
funny how the deputy is being blamed by "the few" for this tragedy, but these same idiots have not once blamed the thug driving the car that killed her. typical i guess!!!

pofwe
pofwe 03/06/08 - 08:08 am
They are blaming the cop

They are blaming the cop because Jami Clark ain't got no money.

hepher
hepher 03/06/08 - 08:15 am
I agree with nightcop and

I agree with nightcop and pofwe. Your both right and I don't understan why Augusta Chronicle is making this a more important issue than any other kill or "accident" made by a criminal on the run

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 03/06/08 - 08:29 am
There was no need to chase

There was no need to chase him, that's why the supervisor called off the chase. They had his information and could have picked him up at his home and arrested him. Now that someone's dead, they are trying to say that it was necessary. Jamie Clark was not caught doing a crime like murder, it was a traffic stop, but now he's a murderer. The CHASE SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED. Nightcop, your the one that sounds like a psycho! What r u anyway (nightcop) a flashlight cop?

badmoon
badmoon 03/06/08 - 08:40 am
Dang, those brain maggots

Dang, those brain maggots haven't killed angie and cottoncandy yet? I do see they are to the "talking nonsense" stage of the infestation tho!

Opinionated
Opinionated 03/06/08 - 08:49 am
My heart goes out to the

My heart goes out to the family, especially the children. It's great that she taught them the importance of life, perhaps they can use it in the future and stay together as a family. That way they will always have a rememberence of her.

3572 03/06/08 - 08:54 am
When your on the other end of

When your on the other end of losing a family member nightcop you are hurting and sad and you look at it a little different . See if it had of been your mother you would feel really really reaaly different. If he would have just stopped to chaase when he was told.

Tina Augusta
Tina Augusta 03/06/08 - 09:06 am
Im so sorry for this family

Im so sorry for this family loss..Lossing someone it hurts so much,,And you blame everyone you can ....She is a very beautiful lady,,,Now shes a beautiful angel watching over her family..GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

WAG
WAG 03/06/08 - 09:11 am
Such a sad sad story...No

Such a sad sad story...No matter who is to blame a young mother is dead. My heart hurts for her family. Also for the young man and his family and the cop. Their lives are forever changed..

T-Rav
T-Rav 03/06/08 - 09:26 am
Disappearance of Hilton Head

Disappearance of Hilton Head Island couple baffles friends, police

A Hilton Head Island businessman and his wife, who is an attorney, have disappeared, baffling friends, neighbors and the authorities.

John and Elizabeth Calvert were last seen around 5:30 p.m. Monday at a meeting in Harbour Town, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

John Calvert, 47, owns the company that manages the Harbour Town Yacht Basin and Harbour Town Resorts, which has 125 rental properties.

Elizabeth Calvert, 45, is a Savannah business attorney at HunterMaclean, the state's largest law firm outside Atlanta.

arue
arue 03/06/08 - 09:30 am
This story sickens me to the

This story sickens me to the core.... I don;t think that guy should have been chased over a traffic violation... You already had his driver's licence and tag number.. I am sure... so why not just go to this guys house and then arrest him.... this poor woman's life was taken because you guys JUST hadddd to catch him... I am not blaming the cop for the accident its just a stupid one to happen on all parts.... The only people that are truly suffering in all of this is her family. They have to deal with life with out her. I am speaking out about this because of the recent death of my cousin Jessica Fulmer... A careless mistake cost us a very special person.. and now we are just left to grieve while people go about their lives....

momma mia
momma mia 03/06/08 - 09:33 am
I agree with cottoncandy16.

I agree with cottoncandy16. This chase should never have happened. If the cop had followed the two orders to stop the chase, maybe this woman would still be alive and maybe those children would still have her mother. My heart goes out to the family.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/06/08 - 09:33 am
Like I said before if this

Like I said before if this officer had let this drunk driver go when he took off and down the road the drunk driver had hit and killed someone (as he did) then everyone bashing the officer would be saying...he should have chased him and stopped him before he hurt someone, why wasn't the officer doing his job and get this scumbag off the streets, blah, blah, blah. I'm so sorry for this family and their loss. I can't imagine what it must be like for those children and the rest of Ms. Latimer's family but lets put the blame where it lies, which the drunk driver. I can't imagine that this officer would deliberately disobey a superior's order. Just by chance, maybe he never heard the "call off" order. Bottom line, if this driver had not tried to escape, Ms. Latimer would still be alive and this driver would not be facing vehicle homicide charges.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 03/06/08 - 09:37 am
Badmoon, you seem to be the

Badmoon, you seem to be the only person without a brain on this site. Also NIGHTCOP, with your attitude I hope that you are not really a police officer. Any citizen should be afraid of a person with your attitude. Everyone knows that this driver was at fault but at the same time no one life is worth a minor traffic offense. Save the DUI part, this was learned after the fact.

walk_american
walk_american 03/06/08 - 09:41 am
I don't really blame the cop.

I don't really blame the cop. Even if he had called off the chase and left that doesn't mean Clark would have stopped speeding or driving recklessly. There have been several instances in the past throughout the US where the criminal continued to drive like a maniac even after a chase was called off and went on to have an accident further down the road. This was very unfortunate but not necessarily avoidable.

badmoon
badmoon 03/06/08 - 09:43 am
No, Hippo, you just proved

No, Hippo, you just proved you have brain maggots too, so much so, they are falling out your mouth and hitting your office's computer keys. Get back to work!

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 03/06/08 - 09:47 am
The best way to settle this

The best way to settle this matter is to find out whether or not this deputy has a prior history of " Not being able to hear " orders given to him.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 03/06/08 - 09:48 am
Wow badmoon, you really hurt

Wow badmoon, you really hurt my feelings. Can I have a hug.

walk_american
walk_american 03/06/08 - 09:49 am
Cops have a very difficult

Cops have a very difficult job. Anytime they pull someone over they risk their lives. They don't know who may be in that vehicle as they approach it. They generally do the best they can in situations and people give them nothing but grief. Yea they got the tag and information from the vehicle as they were chasing and maybe could have just waited and gone later and picked the guy up but what if the car had been stolen and not reported? What if the guy in that vehicle was a murderer, rapist, kidnapper or child molester? Everyone would have wanted him caught and stopped and when he wasn't would have blamed the cops for that.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/06/08 - 09:51 am
I have to agree with walk

I have to agree with walk american, just because you stop chasing them does not mean they will slow down or stop. I have a backfround in enforcement and when someone runs they continue to run until they think they have gotten clear, which is usually a hiding place or home. Some of these have continued without pursuit for up to 30 miles or until they wreck. The only person who should shoulder blame here is the kid for thinking he could run away.

luv2scrapbk
luv2scrapbk 03/06/08 - 09:56 am
The one thing we have to

The one thing we have to remember is this was an accident. Yes, Mr. Clark is a fault for fleeing from the deputy which may have caused the accident even if deputy was not pursuing him then who's fault would it have been ? Mr. Clark!
While the supervisor did call off the pursuit the deputy was doing his job. The deputy could not have heard his supervisor over the engine and the siren. Who knows?

opinion1
opinion1 03/06/08 - 10:13 am
I completely agree with

I completely agree with inchristlove, walk american, coldbeerboiledpeanuts, & scrapintime. It is not the deputies fault. It is Clark's fault. And if you listened to the audio of dispatch, the supervisor told him to break off the chase at the state line because they were on Broad street and clark had sc tags and they assumed he was going over into sc not going to take a right onto gordon highway. but if you payed attention the supervisor never told the deputy to break off the chase once they turned right on gordon highway and proceeded all the way to old savannah rd. that is a a pretty good stretch of road that the officer chased him and the supervisor allowed it to continue. so if the supervisor really wanted him to break it off, don't you think he would have told him again between the beginning of gordon hwy and old savannah rd????

Opinionated
Opinionated 03/06/08 - 10:16 am
I aagree with

I aagree with InChristLOve,but only to a certain extent. If he had the license number it would've been better if he arrested him at his home. Then again, perhaps he was driving out of control, and killed someone else??? PPl in this world who put on acts, as if to care, are the main ppl you can't trust. They try to appear as if they're all for the postive causes, down with the negative, but in reality they're the ppl who are really bringng the economy down. I feel for the family, and this is what the article is about. To let you get youer words to the family, and help them heal their wound. It makes absolutely no sense fo ryou to sit here in point the finger, because if the tables were turned and a family had gotten killed, every last one of you, who are criticizing the police officer, would be all down the mans back had he not chased him. PPl, b real n tru to yourselves. Ya'll ain't fooling nobody. Once again, my heart goes out to you all. I'll keep the family in my prayers.

nightcop
nightcop 03/06/08 - 10:19 am
you people have no clue.

you people have no clue. you're also missing the point. the guy decided to run. maybe he had just committed a murder...who knew at the time. blame the police....that's all people ever do.
hey...don't call us for all of your bs then if we are so hated.

and yeah i have an attitude. against ignorant morons!!

Opinionated
Opinionated 03/06/08 - 10:21 am
I agree with walk american,

I agree with walk american, the have one of the hardest jobs alive. They're always taking a chance at anytime of the day. They put their lives in jeporady for others, I can't even begin to think of how the officer is feelig. I know it's not easy to go home knowing you were partically at fault for a life. Someone has to do the job, I say let the man do his job, he proably already has enough on his mind.

nurse1
nurse1 03/06/08 - 10:23 am
This is such a sad and tragic

This is such a sad and tragic event. My heart goes out to the family of Ms. Latimer-Felder. As far as who is to blame for this...both the officer and Mr. Clark. It was a simple traffic stop. A high speed chase should not have occured on this busy strip of road on a Saturday night. As far as the officer "not hearing" the orders to call off the chase...that is BS! He is heard on the tapes RESPONDING to his superior. He is heard saying "But I have his driver's license, etc..." His excuse of not being able to hear over the sirens might have worked had he not RESPONDED TO HIS SUPERVISOR! We trust the police to make intelligent decisions when it comes to protecting the community. This officer should have stopped the chase when he saw that the FOOL he was chasing was not going to stop.

Think 'worst,' nuke study says

WASHINGTON - A U.S. science advisory report says a key lesson from Japan's Fukushima nuclear accident is that the nation's nuclear industry needs to focus more on the highly unlikely but ...