Georgia couple claim $275 million prize

ATLANTA — Robert and Tonya Harris of Portal, a tiny town about 70 miles west of the Georgia coast, submitted their $275 million Mega Millions ticket to lottery officials Monday afternoon. The 47-year-old Mr. Harris said he picked the winning numbers from Friday's multistate drawing by using his grandchildren's birthdays.

"It's awesome," Mr. Harris told a room full of reporters after receiving the ceremonial big check from lottery officials. "We have been very blessed."

The couple, who live in a trailer, plan to build a house outside of Portal. They said they haven't thought much about what to do with the money, aside from buying a new four-wheel-drive truck first thing this morning.

It's the largest jackpot won by a single player in the history of the 15-year-old Georgia Lottery.

- Associated Press

pofwe
pofwe 02/26/08 - 05:35 am
Don't spend it all in one

Don't spend it all in one place. You go folks!

jebko
jebko 02/26/08 - 05:38 am
Mommy! Daddy!

Mommy! Daddy!

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 02/26/08 - 09:46 am
The Beverly Hillbillies of

The Beverly Hillbillies of 2008. May God continue to bless them. Go Jed and Granny!!!!

Edward1968
Edward1968 02/26/08 - 11:08 am
I think I'm related to them

I think I'm related to them Ha Ha!!! Congratulations on the big win. I hope it will bring you and your family much happiness.

teabag1963
teabag1963 02/26/08 - 11:14 am
i'm glad to see some common

i'm glad to see some common people win it for once.it's usually a retired engineer,teacher,or someone who plays just to be playing,and doesn't even need the money.my rant? folks, you're not poor anymore why look like it? show some class. i would have shown up in a new suit,and haircut.no since in going from rags to riches, if you can't let the rags go.

jbisgone
jbisgone 02/26/08 - 11:26 am
this much cash can be a

this much cash can be a blessing and a curse. i hope they survive what they are about experience..money is the root of all evil..

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/26/08 - 12:13 pm
The can dress comfortably

The can dress comfortably now, no need to impress anyone.

karmakills123
karmakills123 02/26/08 - 12:13 pm
I have one word.....DENTIST !

I have one word.....DENTIST !

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 02/26/08 - 08:23 pm
jb, "the love of money is the

jb, "the love of money is the root of all evil" not the money itself. I'm glad for them. Charley, they hadn't received the first dime, the new suit & haircut would be paid for how? I'm pretty sure there was no initial outlay for the 4X4... who knows. I'm not a CPA but they need one BAD...NOW! Then a dentist, lol. Bless their pea pickin hearts.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 02/26/08 - 08:24 pm
jb, "the love of money is the

spotted_assassin
spotted_assassin 02/26/08 - 09:55 pm
I think they claimed the

I think they claimed the prize to early. I would have waiting a few weeks to a month or so...get me 2 attorneys (one to watch the 1st one LOL), and a CPA. Then I would have cashed in the ticket.

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.