Police arrest six in string of burglaries

Richmond County authorities think they have broken up a burglary ring that targeted homes in west and south Augusta neighborhoods to help fund a drug habit by the group's alleged mastermind.

Back | Next
Aaron Strickland  Special
Special
Aaron Strickland

Six people have been arrested. Richard Shane Strickland, 23, is charged with multiple counts of burglary along with his girlfriend, Jessica Renea Jackson, 20. Mr. Strickland's two brothers -- James Eric Strickland, 20, Aaron Keith Strickland, 18 -- and 27-year-old Michael Gustke, are each charged with two counts of theft by receiving.

Chad William McDaniel, 20, is charged with four counts of burglary, Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Horace Anderson said.

The thefts possibly date back to September with up to 60 houses having been burglarized. The most recent burglaries occurred last week on Glendale Drive and Overton Road in west Augusta near the Augusta Country Club.

Most of the goods stolen were electronic components, weapons and jewelry. Sgt. Horace Anderson said the jewelry thefts alone could amount to as much as $80,000.

Police originally arrested Mr. Strickland and Ms. Jackson on Friday and charged them each with multiple counts of burglary.

On Monday, Sgt. Anderson said Mr. Strickland was the primary perpetrator and "mastermind." He said Mr. Strickland would canvas "upscale" west and south Augusta neighborhoods and knock on doors to see if anyone was home.

"He'd do this in the middle of the afternoon," Sgt. Anderson said. "Often, when people were at work or school.

If no one answered, Mr. Strickland told police he'd kick-in the rear doors or break rear windows to get in and quickly snatch the items.

Ms. Jackson's role was the driver who would take Mr. Strickland to crime scenes -- until her car broke down, Sgt. Anderson said.

"Shane (Mr. Strickland) even used taxicabs to drop himself off," Sgt. Anderson said.

Although the other men didn't take property, Sgt. Anderson said "they all knew what was going on and may have benefitted from the money."

Many of the stolen items were stored at Madison on the Green apartments, where Mr. Strickland's brothers live with Mr. Gustke.

The Columbia County Sheriff's Office has joined the investigation and is currently questioning a Martinez jewelry shop owner about purchasing some of the property. Some of the stolen items were discovered at Augusta Coin Exchange, 4015 Washington Road, Sgt. Anderson said.

Sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said authorities are investigating and cataloging the recovered goods. "The property is here and we're looking at getting it into the hands of its rightful owners," he said.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

TeriLee
TeriLee 02/26/08 - 03:13 pm
I think some of this

I think some of this conversation isabsolutely stupid. You are talking about race of the robbers, but those of us who were robbed dont give a crap about their race. They could have been blue for all I care, they still violated the security of my residence and all of the others they robbed from. THAT is what matters, not that they were white or black. Crime happens from all races.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/26/08 - 03:28 pm
The 88 break-in involved a

The 88 break-in involved a white boy scout that used to be in my father's boyscout troop and two black friends. I figured out the clue that would catch them, told the investigator my idea and to his credit, he followed through and it worked. I hope that most of your things are recovered. Our things were recovered, but most were ruined from being left in less than ideal conditions, hidden in a shed. The hardest part was my identity theft (purse stolen at a reunion) in the early 90's. Between the break-ins and the identity theft, I have never stopped feeling violated. It was also hard seeing the woman who was forging my checks and using my credit cards scott free, with her short yellow spike hair, gold tooth and hoop earings around town and wondering why nobody could or would catch her in the act. The good credit I earned working at Belks and Whites' during college was ruined by her. I didn't use checks for years, because the credit watchdogs flagged MY license by mistake instead of hers and I kept getting stopped, but only one person stopped her, got her description, but she got away. Monitor your finances carefully for a few months to make sure noone is using your identity.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/26/08 - 03:33 pm
Terilee, when you are trying

Terilee, when you are trying to find the perps, it is not stupid to have a description. The race they most look like is helpful in that regard. The description helps narrow down the search, and the combination of races of the companions in my first break in, helped narrow down the search even further. It is also helpful to get other clues, such as hair type, eye color, tattoos or not, height, weight, clothing, anything unusual about the appearance and that is usually on the police reports if they have any witnesses, but there isn't always room for the entire description on media reports. I don't care what race they are either. I just want the crimes to stop.

jshep67
jshep67 02/26/08 - 04:11 pm
SCUMBAGS. ALL of 'em.

SCUMBAGS. ALL of 'em. They're lucky they didn't get SHOT robbing one of those homes.., kinda' wish they DID.

Farful
Farful 02/26/08 - 04:15 pm
you can take them out of the

you can take them out of the trees....

john
john 02/26/08 - 04:27 pm
TeriLee, that is how most

TeriLee, that is how most conversations here go. someone finds a reason to be offended and it goes downhill for no reason. I hope you get your posessions and a sense of comfort and security back.

donnieskills
donnieskills 02/26/08 - 04:33 pm
let me just say that I don't

let me just say that I don't personally know these guys but I do know some of the other family members. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. I do know however how they got caught it wasn't by richmond county at all the f.b.i. caught them by way of an anonymous tip and some clever driving. They were chased down and caught.

tonytonytony
tonytonytony 02/26/08 - 04:33 pm
This is not about color.

This is not about color. These punk could be green. Infact i think there tooth is. But no matter the color. They need to be chained together with all the rest of the sorry no good non working usless punks that ronnie and his crew has up in the barbwire motel that we pay to feed. Just please dont put these ugly things on a road crew. If people see this gang there might be wrecks everywhere from rubbernecking looking at these ugly things. Last but not least this crew needs to be clipped, They dont need to be breeding and bring more of there like this in this world. That bunch if enough ugly for one town. As bob barker says spade and nutter all your ugly none working useless drug doing animals.

thugskin
thugskin 02/26/08 - 04:54 pm
upscale south augusta

upscale south augusta neigborhoods where are they?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/26/08 - 04:58 pm
i'm living in one thugskin.

i'm living in one thugskin. thankful I found it. There are some new ones, too.

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 02/26/08 - 05:11 pm
sorry mover5.. I'm glad that

sorry mover5.. I'm glad that no one was home. I hope that all of your personal belongings are recovered. Being robbed is such a violation.

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 02/26/08 - 05:26 pm
sorry for your troubles with

sorry for your troubles with identity theft. It is a serious violation

Evans Ga.
Evans Ga. 02/26/08 - 05:28 pm
I don't answer my door for

I don't answer my door for people I dont know. They better be glad they didnt come busting up in my house because I always have something armed in reach.

merlin
merlin 02/26/08 - 05:56 pm
I've seen several people

I've seen several people saying you don't open the door if you don't know the person. The article reads that Richard would go out in the afternoon while people were at work or school and knock to see if they were home and then kick in a door or window. THEY WERE NOT HOME WHEN HE WENT IN! duh

namaste
namaste 02/26/08 - 07:26 pm
But they never really "know"

But they never really "know" whether they are home or not...as some have said--they don't answer to anyone they aren't expectin'.

Me either.

Now do you see?

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 02/26/08 - 07:40 pm
Enough about the small time

Enough about the small time blue-collar crimes. Think about it, for every one blue-collar crime that R.C.S.D. solve. There are about five white-collar crimes that we never hear about. But now that, when I think about it. Any news about crime in the C.S.R.A is a good thing. Sometimes reading some of your comment are better than watching channal six news. Because all they do is try to smooth over white-collar crimes, and try to may everyone dislike fair weather. and look forward for rain everyday.

fran
fran 02/26/08 - 07:56 pm
My heart just hurts when i

My heart just hurts when i see a story like this about one of my former students. I can see his young, innocent face in the classroom and how he was always so eager to please and also willing to work and to learn. It's so sad that the Strickland brothers have ended up in these circumstances. Not condoning at all anything that they've done, but it makes you wonder if they had been given a better chance in life maybe they wouldn't be in this situation now.

tonytonytony
tonytonytony 02/26/08 - 08:17 pm
Fran alot of people come out

Fran alot of people come out of bad homes and turn out great. If you want to become a useless peice of trash. It is easy to blame the way they were raised. Poor excuse. These losers picked to be drug headed losers. We all know people that came out of bad homes and turned out great. We all know that if we touch drugs we could get hooked. These punk took that chance. Dont blame the family that raised them.

tybee93
tybee93 02/26/08 - 08:31 pm
punk thugs like these are the

punk thugs like these are the reason we keep a lock on our fence day and night...if they come over the fence, i can guarantee you they wont go back over it!!!! too bad they wont get the death penalty for all this...no good for nothing little punks. i hate thieves....

badmoon
badmoon 02/26/08 - 09:44 pm
Fran, daling, YOU make your

Fran, daling, YOU make your choices, ok?

reddog
reddog 02/26/08 - 10:08 pm
I've fortunately never been

I've fortunately never been robbed but I know the color of the robber's skin would not even enter my mind. Only thing I'd be thinking is where to put the bullet for maximum affect. Black or White a 357 mm round will make them all bleed red!

Concerned TaxPayer1
Concerned TaxPayer1 02/26/08 - 10:43 pm
I still don't understand how

I still don't understand how any of you could be surprised that these thieves are white. I really don't think the color of their skin makes a bit of difference. They are all ignorant. Ignorance comes in all colors, shapes, sizes, and sexes. But, I guess the ones who are more concerned about that don't realize what ignorance really is.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 02/27/08 - 12:38 am
We need to bring back the

We need to bring back the chain gang

www.hongkongaugustaga.org

adam
adam 02/27/08 - 04:18 am
I often wonder how these

I often wonder how these trash criminals would feel if it was their parents house that was robbed,Most likely they wouldn't like it,either.

adam
adam 02/27/08 - 04:20 am
You have to admit it

You have to admit it though,They look like those hillbilly people in the movie deliverence,sooooeeeeeee!!!!

walk_american
walk_american 02/27/08 - 04:27 pm
Now don't go bashing the

Now don't go bashing the hillbillies, lol.

Bumm
Bumm 02/27/08 - 07:55 pm
Over $80,000 in jewerly alone

Over $80,000 in jewerly alone stolen not counting anything else and the cost of repairs, Heck it sure sounds like Grand Larceny to me. All of these sorry excuses for skin should go away for a long time. Too bad they didn't come into someones house and find an attack dog waiting for a stray meal.

rjay
rjay 02/28/08 - 02:00 pm
you people kill me, they

you people kill me, they arrest thrash for braking into peoples homes, taking away there place of security. and all you do is bi### about is it is a white thing and black thing. not careing they have turned other people's lives up side down. if you have never had your home broken into, you are lucky! that is a bad feeling. I bet you wouldn't care if the person was green if you could get back your property.

hunnyb
hunnyb 03/01/08 - 12:12 pm
blah blah blah

blah blah blah

Concerned TaxPayer1
Concerned TaxPayer1 03/11/08 - 12:00 am
Supposedly these idiots are

Supposedly these idiots are only going to trial with 5 counts instead of 60. So every victim needs to make their voices heard and not tolerate this crap. You all are still being victimized because they will not get much time in prison for only 5 charges. If they get any. What kind of justice is that for all of you who lost everything.