Police arrest six in string of burglaries

Richmond County authorities think they have broken up a burglary ring that targeted homes in west and south Augusta neighborhoods to help fund a drug habit by the group's alleged mastermind.

Back | Next
Aaron Strickland  Special
Special
Aaron Strickland

Six people have been arrested. Richard Shane Strickland, 23, is charged with multiple counts of burglary along with his girlfriend, Jessica Renea Jackson, 20. Mr. Strickland's two brothers -- James Eric Strickland, 20, Aaron Keith Strickland, 18 -- and 27-year-old Michael Gustke, are each charged with two counts of theft by receiving.

Chad William McDaniel, 20, is charged with four counts of burglary, Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Horace Anderson said.

The thefts possibly date back to September with up to 60 houses having been burglarized. The most recent burglaries occurred last week on Glendale Drive and Overton Road in west Augusta near the Augusta Country Club.

Most of the goods stolen were electronic components, weapons and jewelry. Sgt. Horace Anderson said the jewelry thefts alone could amount to as much as $80,000.

Police originally arrested Mr. Strickland and Ms. Jackson on Friday and charged them each with multiple counts of burglary.

On Monday, Sgt. Anderson said Mr. Strickland was the primary perpetrator and "mastermind." He said Mr. Strickland would canvas "upscale" west and south Augusta neighborhoods and knock on doors to see if anyone was home.

"He'd do this in the middle of the afternoon," Sgt. Anderson said. "Often, when people were at work or school.

If no one answered, Mr. Strickland told police he'd kick-in the rear doors or break rear windows to get in and quickly snatch the items.

Ms. Jackson's role was the driver who would take Mr. Strickland to crime scenes -- until her car broke down, Sgt. Anderson said.

"Shane (Mr. Strickland) even used taxicabs to drop himself off," Sgt. Anderson said.

Although the other men didn't take property, Sgt. Anderson said "they all knew what was going on and may have benefitted from the money."

Many of the stolen items were stored at Madison on the Green apartments, where Mr. Strickland's brothers live with Mr. Gustke.

The Columbia County Sheriff's Office has joined the investigation and is currently questioning a Martinez jewelry shop owner about purchasing some of the property. Some of the stolen items were discovered at Augusta Coin Exchange, 4015 Washington Road, Sgt. Anderson said.

Sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said authorities are investigating and cataloging the recovered goods. "The property is here and we're looking at getting it into the hands of its rightful owners," he said.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

Duncan19
Duncan19 02/26/08 - 11:12 am
Thank you.

Thank you.

Brian33
Brian33 02/26/08 - 11:15 am
These people broke into my

These people broke into my home 2 weeks ago. They didn't get much money but they broke my computer monitor. I hope they go to jail for a very long time.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 02/26/08 - 11:20 am
Like Double D, I don't answer

Like Double D, I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone. I am never alone and have a couple of .44 reasons why one should think twice if they assume I am not here and decide they will enter. Think I can't hit a target from ten or twelve paces? Then you must feel lucky.

mover5
mover5 02/26/08 - 11:23 am
as said earlier, these punks

as said earlier, these punks broke into my house last week. i hope to recover my stuff, but i am a little skeptical. i hope they rot in jail.

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:23 am
cparker, based on your tirade

cparker, based on your tirade here, would I guess right if I said you are black?

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:25 am
English lesson for the day

English lesson for the day for those who obviously slept through it at school:

There-refers to a place.

Their-refers to more than one person.

Rambler
Rambler 02/26/08 - 11:27 am
Several years from now

Several years from now Chronicle will run an article worried about these poor guys and gals not having a fair trial or not being given there fair allotment of endless appeals paid for by the taxpayer.

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:30 am
cparker, PT is anything but

cparker, PT is anything but stupid. Speaking of stupid, have you looked in the mirror lately? Color has little or nothing to do with crime, other than statistics show more blacks than whites are in prison. that should tell you something and statistics ain't based on "race".

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:32 am
Like I have always said, you

Like I have always said, you might break into my house when I am home, but you wont break out.

JAndy
JAndy 02/26/08 - 11:38 am
Hey Whiskey... Yeah the

Hey Whiskey... Yeah the racist can't say much Gringos did this one. Whats that now ? 1 in 25 crimes? The majority of the readings are black on everything crimes.

henrystripe
henrystripe 02/26/08 - 11:40 am
WAY TO GO RICHMOND COUNTY

WAY TO GO RICHMOND COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE!
Do we know if these people were responsible for the burglaries in the Forest Hills area?

GSneed
GSneed 02/26/08 - 12:04 pm
LOL @ "...Just when you guys

LOL @ "...Just when you guys are protecting yourselves against black people, it is only fitting that a white group of kids comes and steals all of your stuff. The odd part is that the victim will blame the Black postman because that is the only Black person they saw that day..."

john
john 02/26/08 - 12:11 pm
GSneed, seems to me that you

GSneed, seems to me that you are trying to be a victim.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 02/26/08 - 12:15 pm
Looking at the mug shots,

Looking at the mug shots, they all look like life-members of the Ugly Sperm Club.

rufus
rufus 02/26/08 - 12:18 pm
The best part of them ran

The best part of them ran down their daddy's leg

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/26/08 - 12:19 pm
What a bunch of [filtered word]'s. Too

What a bunch of [filtered word]'s. Too bad one of the homeowners did not have a dog to tear a hole in his behind when he entered the home. Or better yet, too bad they didn't meet up with the homeowner with a gun!!!! You rob people of more than just property when you break into someones house, even if they are not home, these people make me sick and I hope they throw the book at them. Get a job you lowlifes!!! maybe you can get a job in prison "plantin tulips" lmaoooooooooooo

EGGMOM
EGGMOM 02/26/08 - 12:22 pm
Dang those are some ugly

Dang those are some ugly robbers.

Put all of them in a padded room together and lock the door to see which one comes out first!!!
Thanks for getting them off the streets

mover5
mover5 02/26/08 - 12:48 pm
actually, these people cut

actually, these people cut the phone line on the front side of my fence. my dogs, one being a pit/shepherd mix, must have been growling and barking like crazy, but it did not scare this punk. he just broke a window and entered thru the front of my house.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/26/08 - 01:08 pm
I'm so sorry mover. =( I

I'm so sorry mover. =( I wonder how they finally caught these scumbags. Anyone know? Did the catch them red handed then one rolled on the others, someone else turn them in.. or what?

mover5
mover5 02/26/08 - 01:35 pm
they caught them on tape

they caught them on tape using a stolen target gifrt card. he has confessed to 31 robberies in this area. he also has a prior convicton for entering a vehicle!

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 02/26/08 - 02:11 pm
I'm not going to gloat,

I'm not going to gloat, because some white kids got in trouble.As a matter of fact, Mr. Mc Daniel use to work for me. Let's remember, somewhere out there, people were robbed and their property violated. Some parents are greiving the lost of some wayward sons. It really don't matter what color you are, get over it people.

rufus
rufus 02/26/08 - 02:12 pm
Was it something I said?

Was it something I said?

yikes
yikes 02/26/08 - 02:22 pm
I was burgled twice by the

I was burgled twice by the same gang of teenage thugs who didn't go to school but spent their afternoons breaking in to houses and stealing money, jewelry and some items they could fit in their pockets. They couldn't take anything larger because they were riding bikes. They got caught because like the majority of thugs, they were stupid. They tried pawning the stuff at a pawn shop only a few blocks away. Like some previous posters have said, if I had been home I would have saved taxpayers a lot of money by insuring they wouldn't have set foot in jail but six feet under.

Duncan19
Duncan19 02/26/08 - 02:26 pm
My dog was inside my house

My dog was inside my house when they broke in through the side door. Thankfully they did not hurt my dog or God forbid kill him. They shut him in a bedroom after they ransacked it. I guess if they would have put him outside he would have barked like crazy and probably would have drawn attention from the neighbors. Until you experience being robbed of your safety and security and material things you will never know how it feels! Hopefully all of us "victims" will see justice served!

Concerned TaxPayer1
Concerned TaxPayer1 02/26/08 - 02:36 pm
It took help from citizens to

It took help from citizens to get them off the streets and for the record Shane was charged on 3 occasions for theft and burgulary. And no none of them were getting any assistance from the government for anything. Without citizens following the stories they would still be out there doing whatever they pleased. And for all the racial comments.... give it a rest. Whites are just as bad as any other race. Everyone isn't perfect and this just goes to show that. But I also agree that they should all be put to some major work in prison to help repay what can't be returned. And as for Shane he should never see the light of a free day again just because he didn't learn his lesson the first three times he was locked up over it. Lock him up and throw away the key. This is a prime example of what being on drugs can do for a person so make sure you let all your kids know that this is the kind of things people strung out do to support their habit once their families turn their backs on them.

steveo
steveo 02/26/08 - 02:39 pm
This is a setup! Everyone

This is a setup! Everyone knows that white people don't commit burglaries! The Black man is holding my brothers down! FREE THE AUGUSTA SIX!!!!!!!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/26/08 - 02:43 pm
Again I'm shocked they are

Again I'm shocked they are white, REALLY I am. Now there are 3 members of one family lined up for jail time, WHY. And looking at those mug shots, they must be on something as well. To this day I'm still scared to steal anything, WHY because, my mom told me, "Boy if you go to jail you going to stay in Jail, don't call me" but that was the 60s and 70s. Moma's and gramdmoma's didn't play back then and they meant it.

What4
What4 02/26/08 - 02:44 pm
YEA!!! More punks off the

YEA!!! More punks off the streets. Way to go RCSO!!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/26/08 - 02:53 pm
I don't get it. Science and

I don't get it. Science and Religion both agree we all have the same ancestors. But I most definitely do not feel any kinship with these alleged burglars. If they aren't economically, politically, and socially disenfranchised people now, they soon will be if they are all found guilty. There's a word for that definition, but I'm not allowed to use it. Duncan19, terilee, mover5, brian33 you have my empathy: I've had thefts in three different homes I lived in (in 30906) and my car broken into at the Regency Mall theater and on Monte Sano Avenue not far from St. Mary's Church. It's hard to get away from crime. This has been happening to my family since the fall of 1988. It's all on the record. I've tried to warn people to be vigilant but there's only so much you can do. Thankfully none of us have ever been harmed physically, most of the thefts were outside, or when we were out, and the attempted break-in to the house was foiled by bolt locks and a solid wood back door (the guy is still limping several years later, he did put a slight crack in the door and has a First Offender cocaine conviction since then.)

SunDown
SunDown 02/26/08 - 02:54 pm
PT... You've done it again.

PT... You've done it again. It's amazing that with just a few comments you have once again managed to enflame those with certain left leaning proclivities. Bravo.