Police arrest six in string of burglaries

Richmond County authorities think they have broken up a burglary ring that targeted homes in west and south Augusta neighborhoods to help fund a drug habit by the group's alleged mastermind.

Back | Next
Aaron Strickland  Special
Special
Aaron Strickland

Six people have been arrested. Richard Shane Strickland, 23, is charged with multiple counts of burglary along with his girlfriend, Jessica Renea Jackson, 20. Mr. Strickland's two brothers -- James Eric Strickland, 20, Aaron Keith Strickland, 18 -- and 27-year-old Michael Gustke, are each charged with two counts of theft by receiving.

Chad William McDaniel, 20, is charged with four counts of burglary, Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Horace Anderson said.

The thefts possibly date back to September with up to 60 houses having been burglarized. The most recent burglaries occurred last week on Glendale Drive and Overton Road in west Augusta near the Augusta Country Club.

Most of the goods stolen were electronic components, weapons and jewelry. Sgt. Horace Anderson said the jewelry thefts alone could amount to as much as $80,000.

Police originally arrested Mr. Strickland and Ms. Jackson on Friday and charged them each with multiple counts of burglary.

On Monday, Sgt. Anderson said Mr. Strickland was the primary perpetrator and "mastermind." He said Mr. Strickland would canvas "upscale" west and south Augusta neighborhoods and knock on doors to see if anyone was home.

"He'd do this in the middle of the afternoon," Sgt. Anderson said. "Often, when people were at work or school.

If no one answered, Mr. Strickland told police he'd kick-in the rear doors or break rear windows to get in and quickly snatch the items.

Ms. Jackson's role was the driver who would take Mr. Strickland to crime scenes -- until her car broke down, Sgt. Anderson said.

"Shane (Mr. Strickland) even used taxicabs to drop himself off," Sgt. Anderson said.

Although the other men didn't take property, Sgt. Anderson said "they all knew what was going on and may have benefitted from the money."

Many of the stolen items were stored at Madison on the Green apartments, where Mr. Strickland's brothers live with Mr. Gustke.

The Columbia County Sheriff's Office has joined the investigation and is currently questioning a Martinez jewelry shop owner about purchasing some of the property. Some of the stolen items were discovered at Augusta Coin Exchange, 4015 Washington Road, Sgt. Anderson said.

Sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said authorities are investigating and cataloging the recovered goods. "The property is here and we're looking at getting it into the hands of its rightful owners," he said.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

Comments (122)

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 09:20 am

HE WHO MUST BE NAMED, do you

HE WHO MUST BE NAMED, do you do anything other than criticize BLACKS. Not one comment about what JACKFRUIT said, but at least you are consistent.

mover5
mover5 02/26/08 - 09:23 am

TeriLee, what area do you

TeriLee, what area do you live in? I was broken into last monday. the rcsd will be calling people to claim their stolen items.

christian134
christian134 02/26/08 - 09:27 am

PT was using sarcasm. The

PT was using sarcasm. The guys are caught they need to be punished to the max. But who knows nowadays a judge that crawled out of the woodwork might just dismiss for whatever floats his boat. How about all the people who have been righteously convicted only to be set free by technicality. Pink polka dot, purple, stripped or hey those pesky whites and blacks all should be given the max when they seek to enter a home illegally.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 09:28 am

bBy the way NAME where did I

bBy the way NAME where did I call any " White" person a racist this morning? Also what make you think that anything that you post of his is so intelligent? A little self gratification on your part isn't it. LOL

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 02/26/08 - 09:31 am

they should have stole some

they should have stole some grooming supplies, they look like......

cparker
cparker 02/26/08 - 09:37 am

christian134, why are you

christian134, why are you defending patriciathomas? Shouldn't she explain her own stupidity?

getalife
getalife 02/26/08 - 09:37 am

Good work law enforcement. A

Good work law enforcement. A few more thugs off the streets, at least for a little while!!

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 09:46 am

hypo, just because you didn't

hypo, just because you didn't actually type the words out..doesn't mean that the implication wasn't there. Oh, and you might want to have someone with at least some high school level English classes proof-read your stuff before you post it. I'm not trying to nit-pick but I very often have a hard time figuring out what you're trying to say.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 02/26/08 - 09:48 am

Give em the MAXIMUM amount

Give em the MAXIMUM amount allowed by the law!

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 09:49 am

Hypo, to answer your question

Hypo, to answer your question about whether I ever do anything other than criticize black people? I don't know, are Mexican illegal immigrants black? Is Hillary Clinton black? Is Roger Clemens black? Are all child molesters black? You can read through my archives if you wish...those are the people I have the most negative stuff to say about.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 02/26/08 - 09:55 am

Whiskey, I believe Mexicans

Whiskey, I believe Mexicans call us gringos, they are known as "wet backs" or "beaners".

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 09:59 am

Well I believe POFWE is

Well I believe POFWE is White, Jackfruit is White. I am talking about posters but then again like minds tend to agree. I understand.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 10:03 am

I don't care if you care what

I don't care if you care what I think of you or not....just as you don't care if Patricia or Christian134 care what you think of them. OBVIOUSLY what jackfruit said was racist but I don't believe what patricia said was. I never defended what jackfruit said, only pointed out that patricia was only being sarcastic.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 02/26/08 - 10:04 am

I WANTED TO TYPE SOMETHING in

I WANTED TO TYPE SOMETHING in all caps, but I couldn't think of anything to add to this stimulating discussion. BUT WHAT THE HECK, throw the book at 'em. I feel for the folks who have had their homes invaded by this kind of garbarge. It takes away more than just property. IT TAKES away your SECURITY. SORRy abOUT the ALL Caps THING. IT seEms to BE GOING AROUND.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 10:09 am

First of all I never

First of all I never criticized PT for what she posted this morning. I am usually able to tell when she is be sarcastic. And that is my point, you knew that what Jcakfruit said was wrong, yet you came after me. By the way, I am removing the comment about the body part. I should not have gone there but I stand by everything eles.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 10:09 am

As for your comment about my

As for your comment about my "lacking in certain areas of the body", my wife doesn't complain and it isn't likely you and I will ever know each other well enough for you to have the opportunity to complain. Funny stuff, but hardly a valid point. I guess that is the best you can do.

WW1949
WW1949 02/26/08 - 10:11 am

what a motley looking crew. i

what a motley looking crew. i would not go to the door even if i was home for one of them. i wonder if they are the one breaking into the in aumond place nighbor hood? glad they are caught and i wish them a long time in the hotel.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 10:13 am

No, you didn't directly go

No, you didn't directly go after patricia but you did encourage pantherluvcik who certainly did. He quoted her post. But I do appreciate your acknowledgement that the body part comment was a low blow.

Opinionated
Opinionated 02/26/08 - 10:16 am

C Parker, I agree with you

C Parker, I agree with you 1,000,000,00,000%. Color has nothing to do with it, what they did was wrong and that's the bottom line.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 10:17 am

Again, I just pointed out

Again, I just pointed out that when certain posters like RCR makes a comment, the same old gang of 3 PT, Christian, POFWE and now MISSMARY, goes into attack mode. Yet let a Jackfruit type post something similar, he/she is overlooked. Also I stated that the body part comment was not called for and I apologize for that part. But please point out where I was critical of PT this morning.

ruhappy
ruhappy 02/26/08 - 10:23 am

Does not matter what color of

Does not matter what color of skin they have. Anyway you look at it they are trash that now we tax payers will support during there jail time and paying there court cost. Its a shame that it took since September before they where jailed.

Jolly06
Jolly06 02/26/08 - 10:23 am

oh my! i went to school with

oh my! i went to school with james strickland!! he was bound to be trouble.

Jolly06
Jolly06 02/26/08 - 10:23 am

oh my! i went to school with

oh my! i went to school with james strickland!! he was bound to be trouble.

Jolly06
Jolly06 02/26/08 - 10:23 am

oh my! i went to school with

oh my! i went to school with james strickland!! he was bound to be trouble.

Opinionated
Opinionated 02/26/08 - 10:23 am

I'm pretty sure that you all

I'm pretty sure that you all are over the age of 18, so act like it. You're going back and forth at each other for what??? This is a website to post comments about what's going on in the society, not about who's racist, or who wife likes what. All that doesn't even matter. If you ask me, I say none of you ppl. should comment b-cuz your comments have nothing to do with the article. I thought High School was full of drama.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 10:54 am

Hypocrites, I already

Hypocrites, I already answered that question. Pantherluvcik criticized PT's comment and then you backed him up.

christian134
christian134 02/26/08 - 10:55 am

Nope Opinionated this is way

Nope Opinionated this is way more drama than high school..welcome aboard or should I say hang on to your hindquarters and enjoy the ride.:)

Duncan19
Duncan19 02/26/08 - 10:59 am

My home was broken into a few

My home was broken into a few weeks ago by these sick and twisted people. Not only do you feel like a stranger in your own home, you feel violated, and your sense of safety and security has completely vanished. I can now sleep a little better at night knowing they are behind bars, but before that I was paranoid. You didn't know if they were coming back to finish cleaning you out of all you work hard for and are proud of or if they were going to come back in the middle of the night and kill you dead! It's been a tough couple of weeks, but for me RCSO did an outstanding job comforting me and keeping me up to par on everything. These people did some terrible and discusting things in my house and that still makes me stomach turn to this day!

christian134
christian134 02/26/08 - 11:05 am

Duncan19 I am so sorry you

Duncan19 I am so sorry you had that scum in your home. Years ago someone broke into our home and needless to say it has never been the same. They need to be put away forever.

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:11 am

Well, Dick, you just had to

Well, Dick, you just had to bring race into this didn't you. Not surprising.

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.