Police arrest six in string of burglaries

Richmond County authorities think they have broken up a burglary ring that targeted homes in west and south Augusta neighborhoods to help fund a drug habit by the group's alleged mastermind.

Back | Next
Aaron Strickland  Special
Special
Aaron Strickland

Six people have been arrested. Richard Shane Strickland, 23, is charged with multiple counts of burglary along with his girlfriend, Jessica Renea Jackson, 20. Mr. Strickland's two brothers -- James Eric Strickland, 20, Aaron Keith Strickland, 18 -- and 27-year-old Michael Gustke, are each charged with two counts of theft by receiving.

Chad William McDaniel, 20, is charged with four counts of burglary, Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Horace Anderson said.

The thefts possibly date back to September with up to 60 houses having been burglarized. The most recent burglaries occurred last week on Glendale Drive and Overton Road in west Augusta near the Augusta Country Club.

Most of the goods stolen were electronic components, weapons and jewelry. Sgt. Horace Anderson said the jewelry thefts alone could amount to as much as $80,000.

Police originally arrested Mr. Strickland and Ms. Jackson on Friday and charged them each with multiple counts of burglary.

On Monday, Sgt. Anderson said Mr. Strickland was the primary perpetrator and "mastermind." He said Mr. Strickland would canvas "upscale" west and south Augusta neighborhoods and knock on doors to see if anyone was home.

"He'd do this in the middle of the afternoon," Sgt. Anderson said. "Often, when people were at work or school.

If no one answered, Mr. Strickland told police he'd kick-in the rear doors or break rear windows to get in and quickly snatch the items.

Ms. Jackson's role was the driver who would take Mr. Strickland to crime scenes -- until her car broke down, Sgt. Anderson said.

"Shane (Mr. Strickland) even used taxicabs to drop himself off," Sgt. Anderson said.

Although the other men didn't take property, Sgt. Anderson said "they all knew what was going on and may have benefitted from the money."

Many of the stolen items were stored at Madison on the Green apartments, where Mr. Strickland's brothers live with Mr. Gustke.

The Columbia County Sheriff's Office has joined the investigation and is currently questioning a Martinez jewelry shop owner about purchasing some of the property. Some of the stolen items were discovered at Augusta Coin Exchange, 4015 Washington Road, Sgt. Anderson said.

Sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said authorities are investigating and cataloging the recovered goods. "The property is here and we're looking at getting it into the hands of its rightful owners," he said.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

tonytonytony
tonytonytony 02/26/08 - 02:54 am
Bring back the chain gang or

Bring back the chain gang or throw these punks in the cell with bubba. That might break these sorry no working peices of trash from stealing to support their habits. That or we are gonna have to stop working and set home with shot guns to blow these punks back out the door when they kick it in. A few punks in body bags might slow crime down some. Seems to be a bad gene in that family pool. I hope they fix them while they are in so that family can't produce anymore like them. They fix animals dont they. Thats all these punks are. Sorry usless no working animals.

DoubleD
DoubleD 02/26/08 - 04:00 am
Funny, because I never answer

Funny, because I never answer the door if I don't know you or if I'm not expecting a service of some sort. I am ALWAYS armed. What tony said is exactly what would've happened if he kicked my door in. I'd have blasted him right back out the door he came in!

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 02/26/08 - 04:19 am
The racists on the forum can

The racists on the forum can celebrate because these punks are all gringos. Of course the arrests aren't on the same scale of the tattoo parlor busts, but it's a start.

Ole School
Ole School 02/26/08 - 05:07 am
the story goes , put the in

the story goes , put the in the cell with Mr. Over I can`t remember his first name , i think it is benjiman or Ben for short ,

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/26/08 - 05:28 am
This is the entrepreneurial

This is the entrepreneurial spirit that develops from government aid. Bring back rugged individualism and self confidence. They lead to a much more productive life style. (or keep doing the same thing and hope for better results)

christian134
christian134 02/26/08 - 06:36 am
Great work Richmond County

Great work Richmond County Police great work... now lets pray they are given the maximum sentences.

justputtin
justputtin 02/26/08 - 06:38 am
"Entrepreneurial

"Entrepreneurial spirit"?????????? Come on TP, I agree w/ all the above except the "profound one". That's right, blame society, and the government.

common-sense-justice
common-sense-justice 02/26/08 - 06:48 am
Does the death penalty apply

Does the death penalty apply here ??? It should, as that surely is what would have happened if they had kicked my door in with me being home. I say put them in the swamp with the gators and let them cut bushes.

naugliberal
naugliberal 02/26/08 - 07:24 am
Is there ANYTHING you don't

Is there ANYTHING you don't blame the government for. One wonders who you would have blamed in the 19th century. Charles Dickens?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 02/26/08 - 07:26 am
"entrepreneurial spirit,

"entrepreneurial spirit, rugged individualism and self confidence" I wonder why the posts you make about blacks who committ crimes aren't so positive. They are criminals because they are black and bred to be thugs, but these guys and girl lack self confidence. Pleeeease!

naugliberal
naugliberal 02/26/08 - 07:28 am
Some names prior to

Some names prior to "government aid". Jesse James, Pretty Boy Floyd, Ma Barker, Al Capone, Billy The Kid, Bonnie and Clyde.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/26/08 - 07:41 am
Well if you've ever been

Well if you've ever been burgarlized for one you are GLAD they got caught. I'm just shocked to see they are WHITE.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 07:41 am
PANTHER why do you even

PANTHER why do you even bother? Some of these people are in DENIAL.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 07:42 am
You are right Jackfruit.

You are right Jackfruit. White people never take part in any criminal activity.

darktall
darktall 02/26/08 - 07:46 am
Their mother's must be proud,

Their mother's must be proud, what a motley looking group!!

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 07:47 am
Oh,Oh I had better watch out

Oh,Oh I had better watch out or MISSMARY will call me some very bad names.

john
john 02/26/08 - 07:48 am
Yes, it is true, there are

Yes, it is true, there are white thugs. There, it is out in the open. there is no hiding it anymore. You got us.

john
john 02/26/08 - 07:49 am
Crap, they even posted

Crap, they even posted pictures

mover5
mover5 02/26/08 - 07:52 am
these guys broke into my

these guys broke into my house last monday and stole over 6700.00 of jewelry. i hope that they like their time in prison.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 07:55 am
Mighty big of you John. Great

Mighty big of you John. Great first step towards recovery.

christian134
christian134 02/26/08 - 07:58 am
Off to a good start are we

Off to a good start are we hypo....good mornin to ya...:)

ripjones
ripjones 02/26/08 - 08:06 am
People People People. We

People People People. We don't know if any of these fine upstanding, productive members of society were on the government welfare payroll or not. What we do know is that Strickland is a very lucky man -- he's still alive. I agree with the chain gang idea. I think that PT was trying to make a little funny -- sort of. Look at each person, and if this is their first transgression, try to straighten them out. If this is not their first brush with the law, stick them on the chain, and get a little work out of their butt. I don't care what color they are -- do the crime, do some time.

dani
dani 02/26/08 - 08:07 am
My understanding was that

My understanding was that Jesse James was rendering "government aid". Wasn't he a Liberal? Took from the rich and gave to the poor>

ripjones
ripjones 02/26/08 - 08:08 am
JackFruitPaper -- Why in the

JackFruitPaper -- Why in the heck, did you make such a stupid comment ?? BTW: I'm white, and embarrassed by the comment.

TeriLee
TeriLee 02/26/08 - 08:09 am
These idiots broke into my

These idiots broke into my house on Thursday and took more than the monetary stuff, they took my saftey and security away.

mover5
mover5 02/26/08 - 08:13 am
i know for a fact, through my

i know for a fact, through my own research, that shane strickland was arrested and convicted for breaking into a vehicle a few years ago. i have not researched the rest of these people.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 08:15 am
Hypocrite, do you ever do

Hypocrite, do you ever do anything other than call white people racists? If you have ever had anything halfway intelligent to say, I've missed it. Nobody here said anything to excuse what they did or ask for leniency for them. Somehow, Pantherluvcik SERIOUSLY misinterpreted Patricia's statement, which was full of her usual sarcasm. You then took Pantherluvcik's misinterpretation and just ran with it.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/26/08 - 08:18 am
And before you say

And before you say anything...they look like criminals. There..I know you were going to point out that no white people said they looked guilty or looked like thugs.

john
john 02/26/08 - 08:18 am
You are welcome Hypo. I

You are welcome Hypo. I wanted you and Panther to feel better about things today.

cparker
cparker 02/26/08 - 08:18 am
patriciathomas is an idiot!

patriciathomas is an idiot! Who said they were receiving government aid? You always put some kind of ridiculous spin to make everything about public assistance or race baiting. You are truly pathetic. It is not surprising these kids are white. Immorality has no gender, race, or address. White folks in Augusta seem to associate crime with blacks and south Augusta, but not even this case will make them understand that all people are immoral. Just when you guys are protecting yourselves against black people, it is only fitting that a white group of kids comes and steals all of your stuff. The odd part is that the victim will blame the black postman because that is the only black person they saw that day, but the culprit is the white next door neighbor.