Wolfpack pick up where they left off

It was difficult to see with an untrained eye, but Greenbrier coach Rodney Holder found a flaw with his team's 11-1 win against Burke County on Monday.

Sort of.

The Wolfpack forced the 10-run rule with two innings to spare during their season opener. But after his team's scrimmage with Thomson was canceled Saturday, Holder wanted to see more play Monday.

"You like to get the win and all that, but at the same time, you like to play," Holder said. "You're only guaranteed so many innings a year. Missing innings, on the good side or bad side, you're only missing a chance to get better."

The Wolfpack's defense of two consecutive Class AAAA state titles, though cut short, otherwise went according to plan.

Greenbrier ace Nolan Belcher opened the 2008 season by striking out eight in three innings. He might have accounted for all nine outs had catcher Adam King not cut down a runner trying to steal to end the first.

"It's definitely good to start off the year with a 10-run rule," Belcher said. "But we can't become complacent."

Belcher's otherwise flawless night was marred by two curveballs in the dirt, the second of which scored the Bears' lone run. He also walked three. The University of South Carolina commitment was otherwise true to form, with four strikeouts against the first two hitters in the Bears' order.

"I think we fared well against him," Burke County coach Sean Tierman said. "But obviously he's a great pitcher."

The Wolfpack got to Bears starter Brandon Love early, scoring two runs in the first while sending their first eight batters to the plate.

Greenbrier's T.D. Davis drove a second-inning fastball over the right-field fence to score three runs.

Holder's team added four runs in the fourth and needed one more in the fifth.

Davis reached on an error and stole second. King moved him to third when his deep fly was dropped. Nick Page was walked.

Second baseman Ryan Cato drove in the game-ending run with a single to left.

It was a quick and painless start to what the Wolfpack hope is another march to the state title. But Holder still is trying to solve some position battles and had hoped for a couple more pitchers to take the mound.

"We needed to see what those guys could do," he said.

Reach Stephen Fasteneau at (706) 868-1222 or stephen.fastineau@augustachronicle.com

CSRAider
CSRAider 02/26/08 - 08:08 am
Hoooooowl!!! Kickin Butt and

Hoooooowl!!! Kickin Butt and Taken names. But the coaches thought on pitching is correct.

CSRAman88888
CSRAman88888 02/26/08 - 09:48 am
"I think we fared well

"I think we fared well against him," Burke County coach Sean Tierman said
Um, the kid struck out 8 guys in 3 innings and your only run came on a wild pitch.

g2
g2 02/26/08 - 10:58 am
did belcher have a brother

did belcher have a brother that played for Augusta christian

Rooster
Rooster 02/26/08 - 12:05 pm
cant wait until they play

cant wait until they play lakeside....im guess the score to be 20-0 in the first 2 innings haha

hunter4656
hunter4656 02/26/08 - 12:07 pm
Greenbrier will have a tough

Greenbrier will have a tough time this year,Burke County had many errors that were routine plays,and not to mention a horrible umpire behind the plate that couldnt see a fastball inside,Belcher did a great job,but there are many holes with there defense,and if they run across a pitcher that has a defense behind him,it will be interesting to see who talks and who shuts up.

skittles_kim
skittles_kim 02/26/08 - 04:27 pm
I think Holder should play

I think Holder should play more of the players. Why have a team of 20 and only play 9 the whole year. Doesn't make any sense to me? I also think that they boys who have been on the team for four consecutive years and are promised practice after practice that they are going to be played in games should actually be given PLAY TIME! Maybe thats something "coach" should think about. Too many politics in this game. This is high school people let the boys play....don't let how much money the parents give or how much browning nosing the parents do determine whether or not the player should play.

allrise
allrise 02/26/08 - 05:24 pm
Skittles, are you aware that

Skittles, are you aware that this is COMPETITVE sports (Definition: We keep score and standings). One would assume then that the most talented and COMPETITIVE players will play regardless of age and or family income, right? Name one player that plays because of "brown-nosing" or "payoffs"? Hmmm , I thought so , since that was a gutless and ignorant post .Take "Johnny" to a rec program or private school that might be more on his level.

allrise
allrise 02/26/08 - 05:34 pm
Hunter, how did Greenbrier

Hunter, how did Greenbrier have "many holes in their defense" when there was only 2-3 balls put in play by Burke? Don't be jealous of the 'Pack and their success (5 state titles in 11 years),it is the product of talent, hard work, and tough , old-school coaching.I actually saw some positives for Burke and I am a Greenbrier fan (I look beyond the score , you see). I saw lots of hustle, 4-5 strong hitters digging in against the best pitching they will see all year, shortstop and third baseman made some plays and of course Love , one of the top AAA lefties in the state. True fans don't fuss with umpires or make excuses . Get behind your coaching staff , which by the way has a huge Greenbrier connection.

skittles_kim
skittles_kim 02/26/08 - 05:38 pm
Allrise...nice try but I

Allrise...nice try but I think your debate is a little weak. I know at least three players who have already been offered full ride baseball scholarships and still don't get play time. Explain that too me, please! No...I have nothing against the players that do get play time. They are very talented and deserve that play time but, if you have players who have been playin since they were 4 and 5 years old and have enormous potential and scholarships...then why are they not getting play time as well. This has to do with statis and I'm not talking about a popularity contest in school. Catch my drift? Maybe...I should tell upcoming players if they want to get play time have there dads come to the tryouts and pat the coach on the back a little, hell they should maybe kiss his feet.

edst4
edst4 02/26/08 - 06:01 pm
Skittles I have to agree with

Skittles I have to agree with you. Politics in baseball is a wide spread in the CSRA Columbia County being the worst. Jimmy Lewis in Harlem is bad about that. One of his stars players quit the team during playoffs several years ago because of it. The brother of the player that quit tried out for the team (JV) and was cut. The little brother is just as good as his older brother was. Called revenge...

rdpilgrim
rdpilgrim 02/26/08 - 06:06 pm
Skittles, if there is one

Skittles, if there is one thing i know about Coach Holder from him being my lifting coach, its that hes fair to EVERYONE... If you come out to every practice and you are respectful you will always get playing time

skittles_kim
skittles_kim 02/26/08 - 06:08 pm
I like the way you think

I like the way you think edst4. I think its hard for people to admit with a wealthy school system such as Columbia County that politics is a big issue. Its hard for a sport to be called a fair game when you have competition like that. I done research I don't think thats part of the game BASEBALL.

allrise
allrise 02/26/08 - 06:12 pm
Skittles.... nice try and not

Skittles.... nice try and not to belabor the point , but name the players AND the schools that "offered " these scholarships. Don't be vague , if there is unfair practices agoing on , go public with it. Here's my prediction: you won't name any of the kids or the colleges that offered them. In addition , do you not realize that the season is all of ONE game old. I would err on the side of Coach Holder and assume that the lineup last night is not set in concrete. After all Coach Holder has won a state title every year he has coached , right.

edst4
edst4 02/26/08 - 06:13 pm
Allrise any comments about

Allrise any comments about mine? I will email you the players name that quit on Lewis there for costing him to win the playoffs.

edst4
edst4 02/26/08 - 06:15 pm
I still agree with Skittles

I still agree with Skittles no matter what anybodys arguement might be. It is there wide spread.

skittles_kim
skittles_kim 02/26/08 - 06:15 pm
Valid point. Just hope that

Valid point. Just hope that his rule of seniority is the same as last year. And for the players and schools...don't worry about that. I have nothing to prove to you. I hope you read your paper daily...you should be reading something soon!

allrise
allrise 02/26/08 - 06:23 pm
Wow , skittles is vindictive

Wow , skittles is vindictive AND ignorant . Deadly combination.I knew she wouldn't name anyone. edst4 , don't you be shy either , if you are gonna slam Jimmie in public , don't be gutless and not name the superstar players you are referring to. You two(Skittles and Edst4) are the same breed that go to youth baseball games and cause trouble and whine about not making allstars , blah , blah blah. Sounds like good life lessons for the players you claim are or have been slighted: Get better by working harder or getting smarter or ...... find another activity , school ,or job. Don't rely on someone (Mommy or Dad) else to pave the way.

trebn
trebn 02/26/08 - 11:04 pm
methinks glass house &

methinks glass house & skittles have kids that just may be whiny losers like their parents. Name one single kid that has signed an athletic scholarship and yet doesn't get playing time on any Columbia County high school sports team? Can't do it huh?

allrise
allrise 02/27/08 - 09:18 am
glass house & skittles are

glass house & skittles are gutless cowards for not naming names or filing a complaint with the Board. Everything they say , therefore can be dismissed as rumor,gossip or just plain old jealous , worthless drivel.

Augusta College Alum
Augusta College Alum 02/27/08 - 02:13 pm
Black and Holder: since you

Black and Holder: since you have the board in your hip pockets can you get the coaches a raise. They could sure use it.
Good luck to you and yours and tell Aunt Bee Gomer says "hey!"

allrise
allrise 02/27/08 - 05:22 pm
Glasshouse , where does

Glasshouse , where does Holder and Black keep their wallets with that school board wedged in there? Keep on being delusional.

CCBall
CCBall 02/28/08 - 03:59 am
My son is on the Wolfpack and

My son is on the Wolfpack and did not play but so what, I hope he helps the team in some other way and gets ready in case he gets in. Baseball is a team sport and Greenbrier just happens to be an elite program that expects to compete at the highest level. I know Holder kept a lot of players (14 seniors), he was gracious enough to keep these seniors when in all actuality he could have cut some. Skittles and her friends should not have let their children play sports if they were going to always assume their kids where better than anyone elses. I know for a fact that none of the kids that didn't play have even been offered partial scholarships, One player was invited to play at a small college (no scholarship yet) and he will see plenty of important playing time this year. From what I've seen Holder doesn't give a damn who your parents are but he will lean toward playing a kid with a good work ethic, good attitude and talent. Oh, if your kid can't hit he probably will not play much. Also, you can be a good player and not play at Greenbrier, just depends on the competition at your position that year. Things also change as the year goes on so don't have an attitude, I fear skittles and friends are too far gone for that.

empire12
empire12 03/03/08 - 11:43 pm
If moms complain enough

If moms complain enough anything can happen, right Mrs Skittles?

Outsidelookingin
Outsidelookingin 03/05/08 - 12:26 pm
Skittles First of all Full

Skittles
First of all Full Ride Scholarships in baseball are few and far between. If you ain't playing it ain't happening. It is also hard to argue with success. Somebody is doing their job correctly and placing the right people on the field. High school athletics is about setting goals and learning to work to achieve them. If you ain't where you want to be then work to get there. If you ain't working to get there you ain't going to be where you want to be. Send yourself or your blessed child to Augusta Christian where the other whiners go to . . .

empire12
empire12 03/05/08 - 03:29 pm
There you go!!! We are pretty

There you go!!! We are pretty sure we know who Skittles is. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO THESE PLAYERS ARE THAT SIGNED FULL RIDES. I know of only one, Belcher that has signed. This Skittles mom is delusional (sp) and needs to shut up.

GHSDad
GHSDad 03/05/08 - 06:35 pm
My son is a younger Wolfpack

My son is a younger Wolfpack and not playing much behind a Senior. He would love to play more but is proud to be on a team heeped in a WINNING tradition. I hope he can work hard and help the team whereever Coach Hodler needs him. Coach Holder will do what is right for the team no matter who's mom and dad doesn't like it. If a underclassman starts get over it.

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.