Across the area

Planning commission vote halts rezoning

A deadlocked vote Thursday by the Columbia County Planning Commission halted the rezoning of land that once housed a fire station.

Commissioners voted 2-2 on rezoning about a half acre at 2733 Louisville Road from special use to a residential/agricultural zoning.

The land is now being used as a home and possibly a garage, officials and a neighbor said.

John West, a lawyer for the landowner, said the resident just likes to "tinker" with cars. Commissioners Dean Thompson and Jim Cox said the zoning shouldn't change until residents comply with the current zoning.

Also at the meeting, commissioners approved the final plat for Marshall Office Park, a new complex on Industrial Boulevard with four lots, with one already designated for a dialysis company.

New Ellenton worker indicted in mail theft

A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted a New Ellenton postal worker accused of stealing mail.

Denise Larae Key, 43, was indicted on one count of mail theft, a federal crime. According to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office in Columbia, postal authorities received complaints from customers in the New Ellenton area that their mail had been opened and that cash and gift cards were missing.

The case was investigated by the Inspector General's Office and turned over to the U.S. Attorney's Office in December. If convicted, the maximum penalty Ms. Key could receive is a $250,000 fine and five years in prison.

Traffic report

- Motorists in the 600 and 700 blocks of Broad Street are asked to take extra caution today as horse-drawn carriages take patrons to a showing of Gone With the Wind at the Imperial Theatre. The carriages will arrive between 5 and 7 p.m., according to a Richmond County Engineering Department news release.

Roommate arrested in sexual assault

Police arrested a man Wednesday who is accused of sexually assaulting his roommate at an Augusta care home.

Usher Brown Jr., 32, is charged with sodomy, said Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles. Mr. Brown is accused of assaulting his 65-year-old roommate, an amputee, at Hope's Personal Care Home at 1720 Wrightsboro Road, Lt. Peebles said.

A similar incident occurred in December but was handled internally at the victim's request, according to Lt. Peebles.

Police plan to charge men with wire theft

Two North Augusta men will be charged in the theft of copper wiring from two Aiken County businesses earlier this week.

Adrian M. Smith, 23, and Walter M. Jones, 19, will be charged with breaking and entering and grand larceny, the Aiken County Sheriff's Office says.

Mr. Smith was arrested in Augusta on Tuesday and remained there Thursday on a probation violation.

Between Sunday and Tuesday, $20,000 in copper wire was stolen from Aiken Electric Cooperative and $10,000 in wiring was taken from Graves Environmental and Geotechnical Services, police say.

Police are still seeking Mr. Jones. Anyone with information leading to his whereabouts is asked to contact the Aiken County Sheriff's Office at (800) 922-9709 or Crimestoppers of the Midlands at (888) 559-TIPS.

Man to serve nearly 28 years in robberies

A young Augusta man was sentenced to nearly 28 years in prison Thursday in a string of armed robberies.

Because it is a federal sentence, Terry Carter Jr., 22, will serve 27 years and six months without the possibility of parole. Once released, he will be supervised for five years. He also must pay $9,500 in restitution.

Mr. Carter pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to the robbery charges and an escape charge. He was accused of holding up four Eckerd pharmacies, a CVS store, a Food Lion and a Burlington Coat Factory in late 2005 and early 2006.

Driver gets 5 years in deadly DUI crash

A 42-year-old Augusta man was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday for a wreck in which a Hephzibah man died and his wife was seriously hurt.

Glenn E. Bostic was also sentenced to 10 years on probation by Richmond County Superior Court Judge Michael N. Annis.

Mr. Bostic's blood-alcohol level was 0.124 after the March 18 crash on Story Mill Road. Dieter M. Sullivan, 63, was killed and Judith Sullivan, his wife of 43 years, was injured when Mr. Bostic's vehicle hit their vehicle.

Warrenton man admits robbing postmaster

A Warrenton man pleaded guilty in federal court Thursday to robbing and assaulting a postal worker.

Dennis L. Ficklin, 41, will be sentenced later, according to the U.S. attorney's office. The maximum is 25 years in prison.

Authorities say Mr. Ficklin attacked the postmaster of the Jewell post office Sept. 7, tying and gagging her and taking cash and money orders.

Man could face death in triple homicide case

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty if an Augusta man is convicted in a triple homicide that occurred this month.

Adrian T. Hargrove, 30, was indicted Tuesday on murder and other charges in the deaths of Andrew and Sharon Hartley and Mrs. Hartley's pregnant 18-year-old daughter, Allyson Pederson.

On Wednesday, the district attorney filed notice that he will seek a death sentence.

-- From staff reports

Dark_Knight
Dark_Knight 02/22/08 - 03:06 am
Oh my God, the guy who did

Oh my God, the guy who did the Sodomy is just awful. Thats so sad.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/22/08 - 06:25 am
Smith and Jones are stealing

Smith and Jones are stealing copper? Is it just a coincidence or are those names aliases? Wasn't there a television show about them?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/22/08 - 06:28 am
Yes Dark Knight, the sodomy

Yes Dark Knight, the sodomy solution is horrible, but since we're not allowed to call rump wranglers freaks we'll just have to assume their action is genetic predisposition.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/22/08 - 06:34 am
I hate to see Hargrove get

I hate to see Hargrove get the death penalty. In our politically correct country, the convicted killer (which he will be) sits in prison for 20 to 30 years while the state tries him multiple times for the same conviction - while paying for both sides of the trial. What a scam on the taxpayers. Just give the guy life without parole and keep him in isolation 'til he dies. Save the expense and aggravation of the multiple appeals.

Reality
Reality 02/22/08 - 06:54 am
I like the one about the guy

I like the one about the guy getting 28 years for robbery and ordered to pay $ 9,500. How will that ever happen? I doubt he has anything worth $9,500.................

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/22/08 - 06:59 am
Rump wranglers....that's a

Rump wranglers....that's a good one. I liked when we thought of homosexuality as a mental disorder. I still lean toward thinking it is. What do I know though, I'm a Christian so I'm uneducated and shortsighted.

pablanco
pablanco 02/22/08 - 07:01 am
I guess Usher was stumped

I guess Usher was stumped about where to find a date.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/22/08 - 07:05 am
There's nothing funny about

There's nothing funny about anal rape.................eheheeheh

pofwe
pofwe 02/22/08 - 07:39 am
A man kills three people,

A man kills three people, (actually four), and he "COULD" receive the death penalty. What do you have to do to "positively" receive the death penalty?

SilentJ
SilentJ 02/22/08 - 08:20 am
lmfao @ Rump Wrangler

lmfao @ Rump Wrangler

areyoukidding
areyoukidding 02/22/08 - 08:33 am
How can you even make jokes

How can you even make jokes concerning sodomy of any individual against his will, especially someone who is in a personal care home and even more vunerable. Every now and then I venture into the rants and raves by some pull I am going to try even harder to ignore. The same folks are posting the same mean spirited or stupid remarks over and over again.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/22/08 - 09:31 am
I don't feel sorry for Terry

I don't feel sorry for Terry Carter, when he pulled that gun out on me and said you being robbed call your manager when I was a cashier at that food lion...... I wish I could have been in court when he was sentenced. God help him.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 02/22/08 - 10:02 am
I thought rumpwrangler was

I thought rumpwrangler was pretty funny, too. I think areyoukidding needs to take a chill pill. Life is nasty, brutish and short, and if you don't every once in a while find humor in some of the horrible things that can happen then you'd go mad. At least the amputee isn't dead.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 02/22/08 - 10:21 am
Crude examples of human

Crude examples of human morality. Joking about someone being sodomized against their will, unable to defend themselves.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 02/22/08 - 10:29 am
And apparently this wasn't

And apparently this wasn't the first time the so-called victim was sodomized. The December incident was handled "internally". How does that happen? Shouldn't the "personal care home" have their license revoked for failure to report a crime? If this same sort of thing happened at a school, we would be calling for every staff member at the school heads on a platter. And don't tell me that the victim didn't want to press charges. RCSO gets calls everyday from people who report crimes but decline to prosecute. The crime still gets reported. I call BS.

XYZ
XYZ 02/22/08 - 10:29 am
You cannot get the sentence

You cannot get the sentence of life without parole without seeking the death penalty.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 02/22/08 - 10:32 am
Just because he is an amputee

Just because he is an amputee doesn't mean he couldn't defend himself. He could be an amputee with only one part of a lower leg removed. Doesn't specify in the story. Also I would venture that this was reported because someone didn't get what they wanted in return. BTW I found the rump wrangler comment funny too.

deekster
deekster 02/22/08 - 10:32 am
Five years for intoxicated

Five years for intoxicated vehicular homicide? Dieter's life was worth more than than this sham sentence. Five years for taking a life. No wonder the drunks rule the road and the courthouse.

tatha706
tatha706 02/22/08 - 10:33 am
Sharon Hartley was my mom,

Sharon Hartley was my mom, Andrew Hartley was my stepdad and Allyson Pederson was my sister. I miss them so much. I don't care what the paper or new's might say, my sister was pregnant with a baby girl. She just found out Thursday afternoon, the 7th. Not even two whole day's befor he killed her. They were the best people i know. They would do anything for anyone. I don't understand how someone could kill them. Especially the way that he killed them. I hope he die's.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 02/22/08 - 10:38 am
He should tatha706, he

He should tatha706, he should. The same exact way he killed your family. My regards.

adrian22
adrian22 02/22/08 - 10:53 am
I wonder where is the pic of

I wonder where is the pic of the girl who stole 50, 000 from Mr. Payroll?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/22/08 - 11:12 am
Tatha, I am so so sorry for

Tatha, I am so so sorry for your loss. I could never imagine what you are going through. I hope he spends many a days in jail tortured by someone more sick than he. Death is to good and to easy for him. He is a real [filtered word] I know it will always be difficult, but may God Bless your family and give you all strength to cope.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/22/08 - 11:23 am
deekster, you are 100%

deekster, you are 100% correct. They do run the roads and the courthouse!!! It makes me sick to see all these drunk drivers getting slaps on the wrists, sick I tell ya!!! All of them, the drivers, thelawyers who pride themselves on getting the scum off and to the judges who allow it to happen and impose pathetic sentences, especially on the repeat offenders. I wonder if any of them even feel the least bit bad when a person who has multiple dui's eventually kills someone and they took part in letting him do it over and over. Lock up repeat offenders for good, and you first offenders better hope your first time you don't kill someone!!!!!!!

me001968
me001968 02/22/08 - 11:41 am
tatha706, dying would be too

tatha706, dying would be too good for him. He needs to sit in a dark stinky cell and be made someones Bi*ch everyday for the rest of his purposeless life. I am so sorry your having to go through this horror now. I can't even imagine but just know that lots of people out here are thinking and praying for you and your family. What comes around, goes around (karma). He WILL get his! Be strong sweetie!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/22/08 - 11:42 am
5:34am, patriciathomas I

5:34am, patriciathomas I agree with you on that one. My father studied this years ago and came to the same conclusion and discussed it with the family at length. This also falls in line with our church's teaching.

vickidu52
vickidu52 02/22/08 - 11:45 am
In all these reports, I see a

In all these reports, I see a lot of potential roommates in a padded cell shared with Usher Brown. However, I don't think that's justice enough for Hargrove.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 02/22/08 - 11:49 am
I think the folks that

I think the folks that allowed him to stay with another roommate need to be in jail! This should never have happened again. What does it take 3 is a charmer?

tmlad
tmlad 02/22/08 - 11:49 am
The first instance of sodomy

The first instance of sodomy was handled internally....uh..... it wouldn't have been sodomy if it was handled externally!

betterme706
betterme706 02/22/08 - 12:15 pm
it had nothing to do with the

it had nothing to do with the rump it was oral........the guy that was paralized from the waste below couldn't get the guy off him and he was doing oral on him

rufus
rufus 02/22/08 - 12:20 pm
That's why God gave you teeth

That's why God gave you teeth

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.