Sex solicitation sting expands

The Richmond County Sheriff's Office is expanding its scrutiny of public places that might be sites for sexual trysts after last week's arrest of 10 men accused of soliciting sex in a city park.

"We're really not acting on anything yet,"sheriff's Vice Investigator Tony Hyatt said Thursday. "We're just trying to see where it's going on and when it's going on to more or less put a pattern together."

Richmond County's welcome centers, truck stops and the restrooms of some bookstores are all believed to be areas where men have tried to engage in sex acts, Investigator Hyatt said.

Investigators are watching these areas for signs of illegal activity, he said. Such indicators include groups of men loitering around a restroom or motorists who back their vehicle into a parking spot to hide the license plate, he said.

"It's just something that kind of keys us in on it," he said. "We just kind of sit back and watch them to see if they are there for legitimate reasons or if they're looking to solicit another male."

On Feb. 7, a sting operation by undercover officers ended with the arrests of 10 men at Pendleton King Park and at a parking area near the Augusta Canal off Lake Shore Loop and Milledge Road.

A day later, Investigator Hyatt said, he was taking pictures of some of the crime scenes and spotted what he believed to be more men attempting to solicit sex.

"It hasn't done away with the problem or dried it up," he said. "I mean, that's how bold they are. They were right back out there the next day."

He stressed that the parks and businesses are safe for people to attend but that they should be aware of their surroundings.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/15/08 - 04:55 am
Someone needs to list all the

Someone needs to list all the signals these people use so we don't accidentally do them, like sitting with a wide stance. 2/3 of the people at my work back their vehicles in the parking spot.

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 04:58 am
I've heard that kinda stuff

I've heard that kinda stuff happens in Atlanta all the time.

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 04:59 am
LOL Augusta resident, that

LOL Augusta resident, that would be funny wouldnt it.... if ya accidently nodded ya head for some reason, and a guy walks up to ya looking for favors.

1313 02/15/08 - 05:48 am
Guys- you know that signal a

Guys- you know that signal a woman gives when she wants to have sex- yeah- me neither.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/15/08 - 06:11 am
Well the ones on Broad street

Well the ones on Broad street keep eye contact with you when you drive by, that's the only one I know.

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 06:24 am
Just make sure its a woman,

Just make sure its a woman, cause this one time I was on Broad Street and.....uh.....never mind.

full moon
full moon 02/15/08 - 06:52 am
If you approach me while I'm

If you approach me while I'm in a rest room you are liable to either get cut or shot. Depending on what I feel like on that day. I don't go for that crap and glad to see that the police are finially cleaning up some of this crap in town. Its moving and think these people need to leave people alone. Good for our law inforcement get them tagged and off the street.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/15/08 - 07:03 am
I don't talk to anyone in the

I don't talk to anyone in the bathroom, no eye contact, won't sit in a stall next to someone or use the urinal next to someone. People are weird and should not be trusted. It's pretty bad we have to waste police man-power to stake out bathrooms.

CSRAider
CSRAider 02/15/08 - 07:22 am
Id say we should build a

Id say we should build a special area for this stuff. Then only the lonely so to speak would go their.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/15/08 - 08:34 am
Ralph Wiggum, your 6:24 post

Ralph Wiggum, your 6:24 post got me thinking. If a cross dressing man (presumably out to pick up another man) accidentally picks up a really butch lesbian (who is out to pick up a woman and mistakes the cross dresser for a woman), which, if either of them is disappointed? And do they call off the night of fun or do they just roll with it? After all they can still pretend right?

canalfishing
canalfishing 02/15/08 - 08:53 am
he_who_must_not_be_named on

he_who_must_not_be_named on fri feb 15, 2008 8:34 am ,

your comments are so funny thats its the truth,lmao. you need to be a comedy writer dude. yes, they should carry on, they both are faking the funk right?

NewsBug
NewsBug 02/15/08 - 09:06 am
This type of activity out in

This type of activity out in the open shows how far society has fallen. God help us and keep a watchful eye out! I won't be letting my young son go to the men's room alone!

john
john 02/15/08 - 09:19 am
Isnt there a hotel on Gordon

Isnt there a hotel on Gordon Hwy for this stuff? Flying the rainbow flag proudly? Nice wood privacy fence all around so we dont have to see this crap?

getalife
getalife 02/15/08 - 09:21 am
Thanks for the funny comments

Thanks for the funny comments and a very good laugh, some days this paper is just too boring!! I read in the paper, in the Atlanta airport restroom the signal was to tap your feet, I am almost afraid to use the restroom myself. I would never let a small child go to the restroom alone, there are too many of these perverts out there. They all need to be locked up.

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 02/15/08 - 10:12 am
Does Augusta get to be Sodom

Does Augusta get to be Sodom or Gamorrah?

jack
jack 02/15/08 - 10:40 am
Atlanta is worse than Augusta

Atlanta is worse than Augusta and we all know about San Francisco, the capital of [filtered word]. Glad to see the cops cleaning it up here.

critter
critter 02/15/08 - 10:55 am
You guys are so clueless -

You guys are so clueless - this has been going on in Augusta forever - you just haven't been aware of the extent. Not saying I approve of the behavior - I am in favor of arresting the offenders as well - but the "oh my, there are f@gs among us" reactions are really amusing....

rufus
rufus 02/15/08 - 10:57 am
They are just confused. They

They are just confused. They don't know an entrance from an exit

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 02/15/08 - 11:01 am
I live in San Francisco, by

I live in San Francisco, by way of Atlanta. I've seen more gay men in downtown Atlanta than you can imagine. Atlanta is the new captial of gay men.... Hands down

HippieChick
HippieChick 02/15/08 - 11:14 am
Atlanta is not worse then

Atlanta is not worse then Augusta just more people - I've visited Mid-Town's Piedmont park by day, but know to stay away at night becuase the mood changes. I lived there for a few years never seen anything like that happening there. Has everyone forgot about the rest area problems we have had in this area for years. It's also my understanding that the men that are attracted to this type of activity are the ones who are married or living the life of a stright guy "Marys". You know someone who dosn't have every oppertunity to act on such things, so they do stupid stuff like this and then go home to the wife and kids.

rufus
rufus 02/15/08 - 11:49 am
Paint all of your inner tubes

Paint all of your inner tubes pastel colors and call them fruit loops. You can sell them to the gays as cooler caddys

oh man
oh man 02/15/08 - 11:56 am
hey didn't an aiken county

hey didn't an aiken county administrator get caught at the rest area!! The circle K women's restroom seems to be a place the males are joining each other for a good time. Grown men who go to the bathroom together in the womens room are very questionable especially when they are making those kinda noises.

oh man
oh man 02/15/08 - 11:58 am
that circle k is in north

that circle k is in north augusta at the river; the same day at the greenway in na the same two men were in the woods.

mgroothand
mgroothand 02/15/08 - 12:25 pm
Guyincognito: You need to get

Guyincognito: You need to get your spelling of those ancient cities correct. It's Sodomy and Gonnorhea.

gijoe7898
gijoe7898 02/15/08 - 12:36 pm
I remember as a younger man

I remember as a younger man going to bars and nightclubs hoping to hook up with a woman. Is that any different than men looking for men? As a teenager and later, I can remember having sex in the car. Fine line I guess.

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 01:04 pm
He_who........the answer is

He_who........the answer is yes.

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 01:05 pm
mqroothand..... LMAO

mqroothand..... LMAO

christian134
christian134 02/15/08 - 01:06 pm
This type of deviant behavior

This type of deviant behavior has been going on for years. The most fertile stomping grounds for the predator has always been our churches, schools,playgrounds and parks. The religious community by large has trusted the man or woman just because they are members, leaders or teachers in the churches, boys and girls clubs, and recreation arenas. This I believe just enhances their pleasure to know they can do basically whatever they want and no one will question them. Then on the flip side are the deviants who just want to have a good time (so to speak) with each other no matter who it happens to offend or who may be watching. When you get them throw them under the jail. Good work Richmond County police!

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 02/15/08 - 01:47 pm
So to yoru way of thinking -

So to yoru way of thinking - such as it is - if 2 gay men engage in a kiss in public, they should be thrown under the jail?

Nice tolerant "christian" attitude you have there. Bet your parents are proud.

Republicant
Republicant 02/15/08 - 02:16 pm
I believe that you have to be

I believe that you have to be somewhat off your rocker to look for sex in a public bathroom. Why can't they just go online? They have websites for this type of thing.