Victim who helped co-workers dies

One of the burn victims of last week's explosion at Imperial Sugar Co. died Thursday.

Fields  Special
Special
Fields

Michael Kelly Fields, 40, died at 2:14 a.m. at Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, a spokeswoman said.

Family members and others in the center's waiting area said Mr. Fields was injured after he re-entered the burning refinery to help co-workers trapped inside, said center spokeswoman Beth Frits.

Mr. Fields worked as a forklift operator for a contractor hired by the sugar company, according to his brother-in-law, Glenn Burnsed.

Fourteen patients from the explosion remain in critical condition, and two are in serious condition, according to a hospital statement.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/15/08 - 05:45 am
May God bless this man and

May God bless this man and his family and friends. What a terrible tragedy! If you are from the area of the fire and are reading this because you are here in Augusta, please know that this community truly has our heart out for ya'll and you all have our prayers. I work at Doctor's Hospital and, in our own way, we feel sorrow anytime one of our patients dies. He sounded like a very special and courageous man.

mutt
mutt 02/15/08 - 05:54 am
I was told that he and his

I was told that he and his wife had only been married for a couple of months. I can't imagine what she is going through, or what we could do to help. I hope she won't hesitate to ask if she is in need. God help me, I just can't imagine how she must be hurting inside. It sounds like he was a good man.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/15/08 - 09:30 am
Not just a good man, but a

Not just a good man, but a hero. Rest in peace.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 02/15/08 - 10:16 am
"Greater love has no man than

"Greater love has no man than this, than a man lay down his life for his friends." Rest in peace, Mr. Fields.

Newsreader
Newsreader 02/15/08 - 12:16 pm
To Lux and Lynx, may I just

To Lux and Lynx, may I just add an "Amen, Brother" to your comments. I am proud to be a part of the community that is trying to help and care for these people. I know the blood donation needle did not hurt this time. Please God comfort them all.

arue
arue 02/15/08 - 02:32 pm
I am so caught up in my

I am so caught up in my family's loss that I feel horrible for not expressing my concern for these people. I hope that they find the peace that we are so seeking our selves. My heart goes out to his wife. I am all to aware of the pain that she has to be feeling right now. I will keep her and all the others in my prayers.

pro@this
pro@this 02/15/08 - 04:05 pm
I am down from Augusta in

I am down from Augusta in Savannah guarding this plant, and everyone is so close like family and they really have it rough now.

pro@this
pro@this 02/15/08 - 04:13 pm
These burn victims need blood

These burn victims need blood donations desparately, please donate.

pro@this
pro@this 02/15/08 - 04:43 pm
For news video footage, visit

For news video footage, visit : http://www.wsav.com/midatlantic/sav/news/sugar_plant_explosion.html
In particular, play "Attorneys Place Ads After Tragedy" and see those scum bags for what they are.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/15/08 - 10:49 pm
They're the same blood

They're the same blood suckers and vultures who hovered around our neck of the woods after the Graniteville-Avondale Mills chlorine spill. Just try to find one is isn't going to take all the award and leave the victims with a pittance.

Stormwater fee could be delayed

The commission is taking a look at placing the stormwater fee on property tax bills instead of water bills and delaying implementation beyond a planned July start date, City Administrator Janice ...