Pay attention as rights are eaten away

Are we to be prisoners in our own country? Will illegal aliens be our jailers? We are pushed to have federal IDs and driver's licenses to verify our citizenship.

What's next? Computer chips under the skin with our financial, medical, political and work information? Are we to be put into an identity prison without parole? Some states refuse to oblige, so if we refuse, it will no longer be possible for us to freely move around the country.

We are not the criminals. This is just an endless link of a chain of socialism, high taxes, proposed universal health care and religious intolerance. It is not in our best interest as a nation to allow the continuation of this attack on our Constitution, our public education and our faith.

We cannot continue to accept laws that hinder our pursuit of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Silence is not an option. Our worst nightmare is the ignorance of the events surrounding us in a time of trial. Do we stand or cower in a corner?

Clifford Henning, Graniteville, S.C.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 02/15/08 - 05:15 am
Debt is the true jailer pal,

Debt is the true jailer pal, in case you haven't been up on the news, our dear country has borrowed billions from China to give us that lovely tax rebate that is mailed out in May-June, cause our country is BROKE! Oh, and by the way, our dear President also believes that there are now some nuclear warheads in Iran and with our economy the way it is, we are set to take a fall cause we don't have the money to defend ourselves!!!!

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 06:01 am
If we are really that broke,

If we are really that broke, maybe we should just tell'em to keep that tax rebate. I would rather be safe than have money in the bank. The USA will never surrender!!

nomoremrniceguy
nomoremrniceguy 02/15/08 - 06:35 am
Remember, a vote for Obama is

Remember, a vote for Obama is a vote for change (and might I add socialism).

deportem
deportem 02/15/08 - 06:40 am
We could save more money by

We could save more money by removing all the Illegal Aliens from America. Of California's 110 Billion dollar budget, 11 Billion is earmarked to provide Healthcare, education, welfare, etc for their Illegal Alien population. That's 9% of their entire budget. I wonder how much money we are spending on Illegal Aliens over here in SC. Make sure you pay your taxes, 20-30 Million Illegal Aliens are depending on us. Too bad I can't claim my 9% of an Illegal Alien's costs on my 1040!

DonH
DonH 02/15/08 - 07:24 am
"Pay attention as rights are

"Pay attention as rights are eaten away"
It has come to this because of the permitted invasion of illegal aliens, the employment of such, and identity theft. There is no free ride. Someone always has to pay. And also, because Georgia won't conform to the Real ID Act with the drivers licenses, I will need to spend another $100 for a passport to identify myself for the convenience of air travel. It is a principal of physics. For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction.

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/15/08 - 07:51 am
That is right! Bush had a

That is right! Bush had a good start. But we should really pay attention when the Dem president and congress eat the rest of your rights away. Ironic ain't it!!!!

WW1949
WW1949 02/15/08 - 08:22 am
WE have a shortage of cash in

WE have a shortage of cash in this country because of the entitlement programs not because of the illegals. They do put a drain on the system but not nearly as much as the people who sit on their butts and refuse to work because the check is in the mail. Check the graph on federal money and see where it goes.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/15/08 - 08:58 am
Say wha' ????? Clifford

Say wha' ????? Clifford Henning's letter is a masterpiece of rambling incoherence. It's not real clear who his "bad guys" are. But I think I may have found at least one thing on which we agree: it's time to end religious intolerance! Muslims are intolerant of Christians, Christians are intolerant of Jews and non-believers, Evangelicals are intolerant of "mainline" Protestants, PSAers are intolerant of regular Presbyterians, and Southern Baptists hardly tolerate anyone! We sure would be better off without all this religious intolerance. That is what you meant, Mr. Henning, isn't it?

mgroothand
mgroothand 02/15/08 - 09:02 am
I get the strong feeling that

I get the strong feeling that Denali123 is a private contracter that has tried to hire American labor that won't labor. Most laborers from South of the border will and have a good work ethic.

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/15/08 - 09:17 am
Denali: you are right on. In

Denali: you are right on. In fact, it is only to the extent that illegal aliens have access to entitlements, that they put any kind of strain on our economy. Mind you, I oppose the current situation on humanitarian grounds. There's a reason that illegals can be coerced into working in unsafe conditions for miserably low wages, and that reason is that they're illegal. That's very bad for them, very bad for us--in that it makes us indirect participants in immoral behavior--but it's certainly not bad for the economy. Artificially low wages don't damage the economy, as long as overall production increases enough to produce a net gain in jobs at higher rates of pay. The only reason they're a "drag" on the economy is because, being illegal and earning tiny little paychecks, there's no way they're paying enough tax to compensate for the entitlements they consume. So socialism even manages to make cheap labor an economic ill...do we need ANY MORE PROOF of what a destructive philosophy this is?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/15/08 - 09:40 am
EEL, you're confusing

EEL, you're confusing tolerance with truth. Here's the problem. Christians worship Jesus Christ as God incarnate. Muslims see Jesus as only a 2nd rate prophet, and in no way God. Jews see Jesus as a false messiah. So, you have 3 diametrically opposed views here. For sure, each religion can respect the opinions of the other, but there's no way to simply "tolerate" views that so blatantly contradict your own fundamental teachings. They are oil and water, and no amount of attempted tolerant mixing can ever homogenize these views. There doesn't have to be violence, but neither can there be a passive admissions that the "truth" of Islam is just as valid as the "truth" of Christianity. By simple logic, one is true and one is a lie. There are no alternatives. To point out these important and non-resolvable differences is not intolerance at all; it's just standing up and defending your beliefs.

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/15/08 - 10:22 am
What if the Shintoists are

What if the Shintoists are right?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/15/08 - 10:27 am
Well, again, a Shintoist

Well, again, a Shintoist would disagree that Jesus Christ is God. So, it's really no different: respect their belief, but don't "tolerate" difference in truth. Open up good dialogs, and maybe, in the end, just agree to disagree. But, you can't homogenize them.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/15/08 - 10:41 am
howcanweknow: I guess irony

howcanweknow: I guess irony is lost on some folks. We EELs have to remember that. My "point" was sarcastic, but your response underscored it, though unwittingly. Without the irony, my view is that since different religions do hold completely different views, and each claims to know the "truth," none are reliable. The end of religion would end the "tolerance" issue for good!!

dani
dani 02/15/08 - 10:45 am
Pertaining to 'our rights

Pertaining to 'our rights being eaten away', our rights changed to 'our wants' long ago. Now, if people want something they assume it is their right.>>> Religious intolerance..When was the last time Americans fought each other over religion. Disagree, yes, but we all seem to be able to disagree and and remain friends.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/15/08 - 11:34 am
Have to disagree with the

Have to disagree with the notion that no religions are reliable. Surely, faith is a key to all, but there has to be a factual basis for faith, otherwise that faith is nothing but fantasy. I'm a Christian because I see the facts upon which Christianity is based.

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 11:54 am
Just what rights, guarenteed

Just what rights, guarenteed by the Constitution, have any citizens of the U.S. lost?

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/15/08 - 11:56 am
All the adherants to a faith

All the adherants to a faith believe their faith is the right one. There is no compromise between Jew, Muslim, or Christian. Each have fundamentally different beliefs and to mix them would be an abomination to any of them. All this one religion talk is no religion talk. I don't have to tolerate others beliefs or views. I just have to respectfully disagree.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 02/15/08 - 11:58 am
HCWK...sure that's the way

HCWK...sure that's the way YOU see it. But of course adherents of all religions believe their faith is the only one based on "facts." That's why it's called "faith," not "fact." Here come irony again: the "facts" you claim undergird Christianity mostly are reports of miracles, which are "facts" only in the minds of true believers. I have no problem with people believing whatever they wish, but claims of factual exclusivity in the area of religion are simply wish fulfillment.

jack
jack 02/15/08 - 12:24 pm
The writer is a typical Bush

The writer is a typical Bush hater. He whines about having to have positive identification then complains about the illegals being here that the positive IDs are suppose to identify so they won't get a job and will either leave or be deported when found. Typical DIM who wants his cake and eat it too. True, McGroothand, the Mexican illegals work hard, but with what level of quality? Menial work maybe, but I wouldn't want them building my house.

walk_american
walk_american 02/15/08 - 12:51 pm
Building fences is not the

Building fences is not the solution to illegal immigration. We have to stop them by hitting them where it will hurt the most. Cut off their access to jobs, homes, health care, and education. 1. Companies and employers who hire illegals need to be fined so steeply that they will run the risk of going out of business, fine them big dollars per illegal hired by the number of days that illegal worked. 2. People who rent homes to them should lose the home to the government. 3. Turn them away from our clinics and hospitals without care. 4. Stop allowing their children to enroll in our schools and stop paying for bilingual education. Make it impossible for them to survive here and they won't want to come here.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/15/08 - 01:00 pm
EEL, I wasn't talking about

EEL, I wasn't talking about "miracles" at all. I was talking about facts (not that I don't believe in miracles as well). Here's a good example: Dr. Hugh Ross, Cal-Tech. Astrophysicist, was evaluating the "creation accounts" from an assortment of religions. He said he'd seen some pretty outrageous claims (like the Hindu belief that the earth is supported on elephants). But, when he read the Bible's account of creation, he was blown away by the scientific accuracy of that report. He spent the next few months evaluating the factual accuracy of other things in the Bible (fact, not faith), and was so impressed that he became an Assoc. Pastor as well as a scientist. There are similar stories from highly-educated folks like Chuck Colson, Lee Strobel, and Josh McDowell -- all guys who set out to disprove the "myths" of Christianity, but much to their surprise, BECAME Christians because of the factual basis of it. Logic and facts convinced them. Read their personal accounts. That is what I'm referring to, and not just miracles.

walk_american
walk_american 02/15/08 - 01:04 pm
Hey jack....back just a few

Hey jack....back just a few years ago Chattanooga TN took contract bids for a new road. The contract of course went to the lowest bidder who brought in nothing but Mexicans (mostly illegals) to build it. Withing two years the thing was falling about and the city is now having to put contracts out again for someone to come in and redo the whole thing. Cheap labor does not mean good labor.

jack
jack 02/15/08 - 01:28 pm
Walk American, you are

Walk American, you are preacing to the choir.

jack
jack 02/15/08 - 01:30 pm
BTW, for the Gfeorgians who

BTW, for the Gfeorgians who won't have the new positive ID required for boarding aircraft, get ready to drive or pay big bucks for a passport to fly some hwere inside the US like from Augusta to Atlanta.

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 02/15/08 - 01:49 pm
Jack, you forgot "preacing"

Jack, you forgot "preacing" ins spelled "preaching". The way you spelled it, it would be pronounced 'pree-sing'. Try to only use words you can spell next time.

AMGuiney
AMGuiney 02/15/08 - 01:59 pm
effete elitist liberal, You

effete elitist liberal, You could make religion illegal (like Communist Russia did, which failed miserably) but people will always fight and kill each other over fundamental differences in all ideologies. Religion is just a small piece of the human experience. If not religion, then political ideologies, educational, legal, racial, ethical, territorial, sexual, and everything else under the sun. People think different from each other, we precieve the world differently from one another and we all think we have the better smarter way to run everyone else's lives. (especially you liberals). I say leave me alone, I don't want your stupid socialist freebies (nothing is free), the stupid wars against phantom "terrorists" and the thousands of idiotic laws on the books that dictate every minuscule facet of my life like; who I can associate with, where I can congregate, or even how I have to conduct myself in my bed room with my wife. I don't need laws that tell me what I am not aloud to say, who I like or dislike or why. I don't want a bunch of holier than thou know-it-alls like you telling me what I can and can't do, say, buy, think, and believe in. I just so happen to believe in God.

walk_american
walk_american 02/15/08 - 01:59 pm
darth froggy.....now who is

darth froggy.....now who is "preaching"? You should take your own advice. -"preacing" ins spelled- should be "preacing" is spelled. If you can't spell is, how did you ever get out of school?

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 02:07 pm
I luv wen sumone critisizes

I luv wen sumone critisizes sumones speling, and mispels werds en thee sam breth.

AMGuiney
AMGuiney 02/15/08 - 02:08 pm
The writer of this letter is

The writer of this letter is right on. We don't need foreign made preprogrammed slot machines (diebold voting machines) deciding who our next commissar is going to be. We don't need illegal aliens, loans from China, national ID cards, and certainly not "the state is GOD" mentality, we need a restoration of the constitution. Quit following that carrot on the end of the media's stick, and start looking at the green pastures around you.

GRU researching liver cancer target

A new clue in a centuries-old debate about the role of inflammation in cancer could provide a unique target for deadly liver cancer and potentially other cancers as well, a researcher at Georgia ...