Now, get her a driver's license!

Griselda Lopez Negrete was in the United States illegally for years.

Griselda Lopez Negrete 19, a University of South Carolina Aiken sophomore, grew up here after being brought by her mother. Thankfully, she can now stay.  Annette M. Drowlette/Staff
Annette M. Drowlette/Staff

But the Aiken teen never once broke any laws that anyone is aware of.

Not even immigration laws, as far as we're concerned.

No editorial page in the country is more adamant about securing our border and enforcing immigration laws -- most importantly the laws against hiring illegal aliens.

No "comprehensive" immigration reform is necessary -- except maybe laws against giving illegals driver's licenses. If the illegal jobs dry up, many illegals will self-deport.

That is, if they can obtain the documentation needed to re-enter Mexico! Some countries do enforce their borders, you see.

But Griselda? She's a different matter entirely.

Brought to the United States illegally by her mother when she was but 2 years old, Griselda lost her mom at a tender age and was adopted by her aunt and uncle. She never realized she was illegal until she was 15, when she was translating at an immigration meeting for an aunt who was seeking legal residency. Griselda, now 19, has been fighting to remain ever since.

We don't harbor ill will toward the system that subsequently felt compelled to seek her deportation. But neither do we believe justice would be served by it.

So we were delighted to hear that she has been allowed to stay, and pursue a business management degree at the University of South Carolina Aiken, where she is a sophomore.

Griselda was forced to return to Mexico for a time -- her land of birth, certainly, but not in any way her home. It was as foreign to her as it would be to most of us. Since then, she worked hard to get the right to return, and got it last month. She is now a citizen.

Welcome back, Griselda. We never wanted you to go.

Now, get that girl a driver's license!

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 02/15/08 - 05:15 am
I join The Chronicle in

I join The Chronicle in warmly welcoming and congratulating Griselda Lopez Negrete. In addition I wonder how many other "illegal immigrants" that Augusta Chronicle editorial writers are unaware of are in essentially the same shoes as this young woman. Is The Chronicle sympathetic to their plight? This example proves why strict enforcement of draconian immigration laws are not practical or just. The solution is to secure our ports and borders AND to implement amnesty and a guest worker program that leads to citizenship. If Republican candidates continue to cater to xenophobic conservative crackpots and campaign on the promise to "seal the borders and send all illegal immigrants back to their countries of origin" they will lose the Latino vote in south Florida, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, and California for starters.

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 06:13 am
I haven't broken ANY other

I haven't broken ANY other laws, so they should just dismiss that speeding ticked I got. After all.... my goodness and willingness to work should outweigh the fact that I broke the law.

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 06:14 am
The preceeding is a parody of

The preceeding is a parody of JohnRandolphHardisonCain, and not meant to confuse. No need to whine about it.......again!

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 02/15/08 - 06:39 am
I would like to point out the

I would like to point out the individual posting at 6:13 am and 6:14 am is not me but someone using a close approximation of my name for the purpose of ridicule or to confuse Augusta Chronicle readers. This is a disservice to the readers of The Chronicle. This impostor does not have the ability to make his own cogent or salient arguments using his own screen name or real name. He is disrespectful of the rights of Augusta Chronicle readers to the posters on Reader Comments. He has had his comments deleted in the past but does not alter his childish behavior.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 02/15/08 - 07:06 am
"Immigration: Refuting the

"Immigration: Refuting the Right" by David Neiwert [Firedoglake] Thursday February 14, 2008

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 07:08 am
I would like to point out

I would like to point out that at 6:14 I pointed out that my intent was to parody JohnRandolphHardisonCain, but as usual he ignores anything that he doesn't agree with and continues to post his lunacy. I even used the words "not meant to confuse" but he says that my intent is to confuse. Again....my intent is to ridicule his insane point of view....nothing else.

eric stoner
eric stoner 02/15/08 - 08:04 am
Enough already!

Enough already!

WW1949
WW1949 02/15/08 - 08:10 am
There is no way we can deport

There is no way we can deport all these people.I say give them a work permit and let the employers take out taxes and all other deductions and let them work toward citizenship if that is what they want. They are already a productive group in the work force. Now make them contribute to the system.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/15/08 - 08:28 am
NO...not enough already. I am

NO...not enough already. I am still quite amused by the parody of JRHC. Proceed my good fellow.

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/15/08 - 08:57 am
I would like to point out

I would like to point out that the individual posting at 5:15 and 6:39 a.m. is a complete goober who can't find his behind with two hands, a map and a flashlight. He is so busy trying to address superficial issues (like the faux cain) that his extraordinarily limited brainpower is unable to address the fundamental flaws in his reasoning on each and every issue he brings up in these fora. Very sad...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/08 - 09:00 am
Look at the hypocrisy of the

Look at the hypocrisy of the editorial: "Griselda was in the United States illegally for 15 years. But she never broke any laws that anyone is aware of." She was breaking the immigration laws merely be BEING here illegally. The Chronicle is dividing the U.S. into two groups - - - those who are allowed to violate the law because of WHO they are, and those who must obey the law (i.e., we the great unwashed). The U.S. was founded upon the principle that all people were to be treated equally under the law, but now we are saying the some people such as illegal aliens are above the law.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/15/08 - 09:25 am
Thank you Little Lamb. Those

Thank you Little Lamb. Those were the two sentences that were confusing the you know what out of me. Glad I wasn't the only one that dismissed the whole thing because of that one fact. Plus, "brought to the U.S. illegally by her mother..." ??? Maybe it wasn't the daughter's doing, but Griselda was here illegally. So why is she back? Either enforce the law or change it. This has nothing to do with her being a lovely and an accomplished young lady. I would be delighted for her to stay here, but I'm confused at the way this process has unfolded.

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 09:27 am
Rule of law means nothing to

Rule of law means nothing to people like this....only mob rule.

mommie2
mommie2 02/15/08 - 10:27 am
But it wasnt her fault that

But it wasnt her fault that her mother broke the law. She didn't even know that she was an illegal until she was helping someone else on the path to citizenship.

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 10:37 am
But she knows now. If you

But she knows now. If you buy a car that's stolen, and you didn't know it....guess what....you broke the law.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/08 - 10:46 am
Right on, Randalph. And

Right on, Randalph. And there are legal remedies available after you have been discovered to have broken the law unintentionally. Legal remedies are not what the Chronicle is advocating. They are advocating scoffing at the law and making policy based on WHO someone is or who someone KNOWS. Cronyism, nepotism, and favoritism continue to destroy America.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/15/08 - 10:50 am
Gotta agree with you on that

Gotta agree with you on that one jonrandalph... Little Lamb. I'm not sure the Chronicle is scofflawing, I hope not, maybe the editor just didn't "get" it, this time.

jack
jack 02/15/08 - 11:00 am
Cain, LEGAL immigrants are

Cain, LEGAL immigrants are always welcome here. It is the blood sucking illegals that are breaking our health care, sending billions of dollars to Mixico which hurt s OUR economy. I believe in a guest worker program, but NOT citizenship/amnesty to those illegally here. I am glad this young lady has been allowed t come here LEGALLY and wish her well. As for those born here (another problem with our laws) of illegals parents, we should NOT give them automatic citizenship.

jack
jack 02/15/08 - 11:02 am
Cain, seems you are the only

Cain, seems you are the only one whining about the other Cain, who makes a hell f a lot more sense in his posts than you ever will.

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 11:03 am
If my dad robs a bank without

If my dad robs a bank without my knowledge, then wills me the money......do i get to keep it? Plus, he hasn't broken any OTHER laws.

rufus
rufus 02/15/08 - 11:21 am
OK. Say I divorce my wife

OK. Say I divorce my wife after 15 years. Is she still my sister?

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 11:22 am
Not if you didn't know about

Not if you didn't know about it.....or if you didn't break any other laws! LOL

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 01:14 pm
I think she should stay,

I think she should stay, she's pretty. Now i could see if she was ugly, she needs to go, but we like pretty people.

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 02/15/08 - 01:55 pm
JonRandalf, I have a funny

JonRandalf, I have a funny feeling you just like seeing your name on a public website. Shut up already! And "LOL" is a term often used only by kids.

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 02:09 pm
I love being likened to a kid

I love being likened to a kid by someone with the screen name of darth froggy........I'm overwhelmed by the irony!

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 02/15/08 - 02:18 pm
Ironic or not, since you

Ironic or not, since you cannot beat me intellectually, you resort petty insults with your own sick twist. Now who's pathetic?

JonR
JonR 02/15/08 - 02:23 pm
And what makes you think I

And what makes you think I can't? It shouldn't be hard to compete with such intellectual statements like "Shut up already!" and sentences like "Ironic or not, since you cannot beet me intellectually, you resort TO petty insults with your own sick twist." Using complete sentences would help your case when you attack someone's intellect. I scoff at what you perceive to be your superior intellect.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/15/08 - 03:46 pm
Ralph Wiggum, I agree

Ralph Wiggum, I agree totally. My plan has always been that we secure the borders and only allow in pretty girls. I don't want to see any green cards or passports...it's all about looks. The problem is most of these illegals are "hard working people" which isn't very conducive to being a pretty girl.

Ralph_Wiggum
Ralph_Wiggum 02/15/08 - 03:57 pm
Well if she gets her license

Well if she gets her license we should atleast encourage her to drive to augusta. We got more job opportunities.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/15/08 - 04:05 pm
I don't approve of women in

I don't approve of women in the work place....legal or not.