Across the area

TRAFFIC BRIEFS

Third woman in fatal wreck dies in hospital

The third victim of a deadly wreck that occurred Sunday near Metter, Ga. has died.

Jamie Carter, a 22-year-old Georgia Southern student, was pronounced dead Wednesday at Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah, a hospital spokeswoman confirmed .

Two Lakeside High School graduates - Jessica Fulmer, 21, and Melissa Eustice, 20 - also died as a result of the wreck. The driver of a Toyota 4Runner, believed to be Ms. Eustice, lost control of the sport utility vehicle and it flipped repeatedly, ejecting the three women, according to Georgia State Patrol.

Georgia State Patrol troopers have said they are searching for the driver of a white passenger car believed to be connected to the wreck.

Man is killed after being hit by vehicle

Burke County sheriff's officials were investigating a case late Wednesday in which a man was fatally struck by a vehicle.

A Burke County sheriff's dispatcher said his office received a call at 9 p.m. about a vehicle striking a man on Georgia Highway 305 in the Gough community. Burke County Coroner Betty White could not be reached for comment. No other details about the victim's identity or the case were available .

Road work will cause lanes to be closed

Drivers should expect lane closures beginning next week at Fort Gordon as crews continue work at the intersection of Chamberlain Avenue and East Hospital Road, according to a news release.

There will be single lanes open in each direction at the intersection from Monday to Wednesday while crews work on a storm drainage system, the release states. Work on the area began in December and is expected to be complete by June at the latest. The project will widen Chamberlain Avenue and East Hospital Road and replace a traffic light, the release states.

Bill would combine rural transit systems

ATLANTA --- Soon, people in rural Georgia could hop a transit van and zoom across the state or to neighboring cities.

A bill recently introduced in the Senate aims to coordinate the state's 103 rural transit systems into a single statewide network to save money and improve service.

"A lot of these people don't realize they have public transportation out there in their back yards," said Butch McDuffie, a former president of the Georgia Transit Association and director of Athens Transit.

The rural systems usually consist of vans taking people to work, ferrying the elderly or transporting the handicapped. The federal government provides nearly all of the money for operations, $177 million yearly, channeled through state agencies like the departments of Labor, Human Resources, Community Health and Transportation.

Senate Bill 402 would create one board to make them all work together, according to its author, Sen. Tommie Williams, R-Lyons.

CRIME BRIEFS

Mother indicted in fatal stabbings of 2 children

An Augusta mother accused of fatally stabbing her two young children Nov. 29 was indicted Tuesday by the Richmond County grand jury.

Jeanette Michelle Hawes, 22, of the 2500 block of Lumpkin Road, was indicted on two counts each of malice murder, felony murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime. Police have said the victims, 1-year-old Jordan Hawes and 3-year-old Shakayla Hawes, were stabbed to death in the bathroom of a gas station on the corner of Lumpkin and Richmond Hill roads.

Police charge men with car break-ins

Police arrested two men Wednesday morning who are accused of breaking into cars at several Augusta apartment complexes.

Darius Smalley, 21, of Lennox Street, and Demarius Smith, 20, of Fairway Drive, are each charged with six counts of entering an auto, and more charges are anticipated, according to Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Greg Newsome.

The break-ins occurred Tuesday and Wednesday at Woodcrest Apartments on Woodcrest Drive, Marks Church Commons at Bowdoin Drive, Bradford Pointe Apartments on Sterling Ridge Drive, Vintage Creek Apartments on North Leg Road and Merrick Place Apartments on Skinner Mill Road, according to a sheriff's office news release.

Officer says suspect confessed to killing

ANDERSON, S.C. --- A police officer testifying in the trial of a man charged with killing a 27-year-old woman he met at a mall in Anderson says the defendant confessed to suffocating her after she begged for her life.

Raymondeze Rivera is on trial for the murder of Asha Wiley in December 2006.

Prosecutors have said they would use a conviction to try to get the death penalty for Mr. Rivera in the killing of Kwana Burns less than a week later.

Deputies make arrests in dog-fighting case

COLUMBIA --- Richland County deputies say they think they busted a dog-fighting operation in its beginning stages.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott announced Wednesday that three men had been arrested and faced charges ranging from dog-fighting to ill treatment of an animal and drug possession.

Deputies seized eight dogs, videos on how to train dogs to fight and baiting equipment from two Richland County homes.

AREA BRIEFS

Wild-game tasting event set for March

Augusta West Rotary Club and outdoorsmen from the Augusta area have teamed up again to raise money for Alzheimer's research by organizing the region's largest wild-game tasting event.

Club volunteers will hold the seventh annual A Taste of Something Wild at the Julian Smith Barbecue Pit on Milledge Road from 5 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, March 15.

Attendees will be able to sample dozens of wild game dishes, from venison, duck, wild pig, quail, fish and exotic meat. Entertainment will be provided by Eryn Eubanks & The Family Fold. Proceeds from the $45-per-ticket ($40 in advance) event will be donated to the Augusta Alzheimer's Association and other Augusta West Rotary Club charities. The event is one of the largest Rotary Club fundraisers in the Augusta area. For tickets or more information, call the Augusta Alzheimer's Association at (706) 731-9060 or (800) 272-3900 or visit www.alz.org/georgia.

EDUCATION BRIEFS

Regents pass MCG resolution

ATLANTA --- A resolution calling for an expansion of medical education in Georgia, including a new Medical College of Georgia campus in Athens, unanimously passed the Board of Regents on Wednesday.

The resolution, the closest the regents have come to endorsing the report of consulting firm Tripp Umbach, includes an enrollment goal of 1,200 for MCG by 2020, up from 745 now.

The resolution also explicitly endorses the establishment of an MCG branch in Athens "no later than 2010, utilizing in large part the property currently owned by the United States Navy in Athens, which is intended to be transferred to the University System of Georgia."

Columbia County pupils to get break

Columbia County pupils will be out of school on a midwinter break next week.

Schools in the county will be closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Personnel at county facilities, area Family Y's and several A Child's World day care facilities said they are not offering additional programs for the break.

While the children are out of class Wednesday, instructors will be participating in a Teacher Professional Learning Day.

IN OTHER NEWS

THE GEORGIA DEPARTMENT of Education has ordered more than two-dozen school districts to stop serving beef supplied by a California slaughterhouse under federal investigation for mistreating animals. Georgia Schools Superintendent Kathy Cox says 28 districts so far -- none of them in the Augusta area -- have pulled the meat after the U.S. Department of Agriculture alerted state officials that it could be tainted.

-- From staff and wire reports

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/14/08 - 07:05 am
$40 seems like a lot just to

$40 seems like a lot just to taste some squirrel, crow or frog when I can just pull it off my front bumper and fix it myself any time I want.

LouLou
LouLou 02/14/08 - 07:43 am
Wild-game prepared right is

Wild-game prepared right is as good as it gets. I don't see any reference to "crow" Being this is a benefit for Alzheimer's research the $$$ is well worth every cent.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 02/14/08 - 07:47 am
I thought the Barbecue Pit

I thought the Barbecue Pit burned down a year or so ago?

heartablazing
heartablazing 02/14/08 - 07:56 am
A lot of people"eat crow"

A lot of people"eat crow" every day for free. I know this money is supposed to go to a good cause,but yes, $40 is a little high to taste road kill. I wonder if the Alzheimer patients at the Augusta commission get any of these proceeds.

UrNotReady4TheTruth
UrNotReady4TheTruth 02/14/08 - 08:49 am
I'm still trying to find out

I'm still trying to find out where and how this car played an overall factor in these ladies deaths...

scfolk
scfolk 02/14/08 - 09:13 am
UrNotReady4THETRUTH---the car

UrNotReady4THETRUTH---the car could have merged into her lane causing the driver the lost control. I know that has happened to me...but as a young driver they seem to over react...

Why
Why 02/14/08 - 09:16 am
Darius and Demarius are very

Darius and Demarius are very likely Democrats...yet another reason to get motivated and vote REPUBLICAN in November!

darktall
darktall 02/14/08 - 09:20 am
If you do not want to pay $40

If you do not want to pay $40 dollars for the event simply do not go and quir complaining about it.

BRANDY1982
BRANDY1982 02/14/08 - 09:47 am
concerning the wreck...that

concerning the wreck...that is exactly what happened. the white car tried to merge into traffic right in front of her and we think she swerved too much to try and miss it and lost control of her 4 runner..those things are really top heavy and flip easily

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/14/08 - 10:07 am
Every time I read about the

Every time I read about the death of these young girls my heart goes out to the famillies. I don't think there can be anything worse for a parent than to loose a child. May God give these families comfort. Tell your kids you love them today.

Rob Pavey
Rob Pavey 02/14/08 - 10:24 am
I've been to "Taste of

I've been to "Taste of Something Wild" before and would rank it as one of Augusta's Top 3 parties with food, up there with Arts in the Heart and the Child Advocacy Center's annual CSRA Cooking for Kids competition. Well worth the ticket price.

Rose
Rose 02/14/08 - 10:42 am
Finally the wheels of justice

Finally the wheels of justice are rolling in the Hawes case. that parent wanted to lose her kids. What an evil piece of garbage! I hope she is found guilty and gets the death penalty. she deserves it.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/14/08 - 10:52 am
Where did you get the

Where did you get the information that she wanted to " Lose her kids"?

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 02/14/08 - 11:05 am
RIP Jamie... you will be

RIP Jamie... you will be missed greatly

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 02/14/08 - 11:07 am
Busy day...

Busy day...

Rose
Rose 02/14/08 - 11:33 am
HYPOCRITES2008, because she

HYPOCRITES2008, because she CHOSE to murder her kids. You get it? She had a choice. Nobody forced her.I will be following this case. No story on here affected me more. Another thing. I will not argue about it, because when those precious kids were murdered by the one person they most trusted to protect and love them, I got a lot of crap on here for speaking my mind. I was physically ill from it, and I will not let that happen again.So don't you or anyone else bully me for stating my opinion on that moron devil.

AUG30904
AUG30904 02/14/08 - 11:39 am
free michelle hawes she

free michelle hawes she doesnt know what thou has done! she loved her kids!

Rose
Rose 02/14/08 - 11:43 am
yep start your crap.You are

yep start your crap.You are no better than she is. If you want her to go free, maybe she will do it again. Whose kids will it be next time? She is a cold blooded killer. Enough said for now. Time for me to get away from here for awhile before my bloodpressure sky rockets. I refuse to let that happen. So all of you who love and adore her, go ahead and wallow in your smpathy for her. I hope you choke.

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 02/14/08 - 11:44 am
Rose, it is true that Ms.

Rose, it is true that Ms. Hawes did something evil, but it does not mean she is totally evil. You should just thank God, that he has kept you from doing something this terrible, rather then talk about how she needs to be put to death. You really need to have some compassion.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/14/08 - 12:20 pm
Lil punks keep breaking into

Lil punks keep breaking into cars, one of them is gonna get shot again... and ya know what.. I don't feel a bit bad if they do!!!!!!!!!!

change display name
change display name 02/14/08 - 12:25 pm
Bold--I am not going to thank

Bold--I am not going to thank God for keeping me from killing my children. I keep from doing that on my own by not being a evil monster. She had no compassion for those children when they were screaming for their lives in that bathroom. I hope she rots in hell for her actions.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/14/08 - 02:12 pm
Rose if the subject gets you

Rose if the subject gets you so physically ill then why even comment on the subject knowing people will respond either positively or negatively to your comment. Yes this woman did a horrible act and needs to suffer the consequences of those actions but how are you any better than her to wish her dead and to suffer in the act of dying. Only someone who knows biblical teachings might understand my next statement, but even God forgave Paul for killing hundred of Christians and look how he changed Paul' life around. Paul suffered for his sins and I'm sure Ms. Hawes will be tormented for what she has done but who's to say how God can change her heart and use her to glorify his name in the future. Thoses two babies are sitting at the feet of Jesus, let us remember that beautiful picture and not the horrible act that took their life.

Rose
Rose 02/14/08 - 02:44 pm
change display name , you

change display name , you took the words right out of my mouth.And, she robbed those kids of their lives. People have more compassion for her than they do someone who damages their car. that is sick.

Rose
Rose 02/14/08 - 02:48 pm
And I don't need anyone

And I don't need anyone preaching to me. You need to preach to yourself. As for me not posting on here if I know I will get a negative response,nobdy tells me I can't comment. InChristLove, was it a beautiful picture when that bathroom door was opened? Was it? Would you have liked to take her hand and hug her with all that blood on her hands? So don't try to teach me a cotton picking thing.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/14/08 - 03:09 pm
Rose, I'm not preaching to

Rose, I'm not preaching to you and I'm sure it wasn't a pretty picture when that door was opened. I never said you couldn't comment on here. I just said if it makes you physically ill when others comment about the subject then maybe you shouldn't. I don't know where you get the idea that if someone doesn't feel hatred to the point of wishing someone dead that I'd want to hold her hand and hug her. You couldn't be further from the truth. Someone can have compassion without thinking what she did was okay. Yes, what she did was unthinkable but hopefully she can turn her life around (even in jail) and something positive can come out of this tragedy. I was just trying to give you a picture of where those babies are right now instead of dwelling on the negativity of it and making yourself ill. Althought I understand where your anger and hatred comes from, I too have my opinion. I can feel sorrow without hating.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/14/08 - 03:56 pm
Rose, don't bring my comment

Rose, don't bring my comment into it, I just commented on a different article to avoid you because you said you didn't want any one starting with you. And you still wanna start stuff up. You whine about people jumping on you but yet you get out of control and instigate people jumping on you. Settle down for goodness sake. I have commented on this issue when it happened a while back and do not intend to debate it again. I can post about any article I choose that does not mean I have more compassion for her than those who break into cars. I absolutely hate a thief and choose to express it today!!! =)

dani
dani 02/14/08 - 05:18 pm
InChristLove. The woman will

InChristLove. The woman will have to repent and ask for forgiveness from God before she will get it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/14/08 - 05:26 pm
I totally agree Dani.

I totally agree Dani.

Rose
Rose 02/14/08 - 05:54 pm
TakeAstand, I agree the

TakeAstand, I agree the thieves need to be punished. But some people really want to ptotect and defend a cold blooded killer, but they holler against other criminals. I just don't understand why.I am not debating the issue, just stating my opinion, which is I hope she gets what she gave her kids.Which is death.

mgray
mgray 02/14/08 - 06:03 pm
My codolences to the families

My codolences to the families of the three young women killed in the accident. Such a sad time.