Quit fighting, parties, and unify U.S.

I'm 75 years old, and during my life I have never seen the two parties stay so far apart. Even after the elections, they never come together for the sake of the country, for the people themselves -- always only the party and what glory it can get.

After the elections, there should be a unity in the parties in which all pull together for the sake of the people and the country. The throat cutting never ends, and it goes on until the next election and then we find out we have had a bunch of clowns running the country for the last four years.

For God's sake, forget the parties, unite and put our nation back where it was in yesteryears.

We somehow do all this stuff for other countries, but fail to come together for our own country. Why should we be paying to rebuild Iraq and for the war, when they have billions in oil. They should be paying their own way, plus paying us to fight their war. This is not right, anyway you look at it. Since we are protecting the oil for them, let them pay for the protection and rebuilding with their oil, which they charge us an arm and leg for.

Unite people, unite together before we lose our country to others.

Joe Alsup, Aiken, S.C.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/14/08 - 06:53 am
This LTE makes no sense to

This LTE makes no sense to me. "Can't we all just get along" is a wish, not a solution. After making the plea, Mr Alsup then makes the same goofy claims that precipitate the lack of unity. Typical.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 02/14/08 - 07:47 am
PT, all you can do is

PT, all you can do is criticize and rebuke, how about coming up with your own solution and work from there. Obviously, this man has a point, but it start with US at the voting booths, in which I do intend to see my vote through!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/14/08 - 08:58 am
DE2, what???? I got his

DE2, what???? I got his point. It was the same as the one he was complaining about. I'm glad you're going to vote. Do you think any qualifications are required?

S.C. Dawg
S.C. Dawg 02/14/08 - 09:47 am
Because Mr. Alsup has a

Because Mr. Alsup has a common sense view of things, Patricia can not relate. Heck, took her til January to figure out the Cocks were not going to a bowl.

standtall
standtall 02/14/08 - 09:50 am
There is nothing to be feared

There is nothing to be feared more than a government united. The founders recognized the threat and designed our political system with multiple checks and balances. My concern about the parties is not about too little unity but too much - it is becoming harder to distinguish between them. They are both run by governing elites funded by corporate money who consider themselves unaccountable to we the people.

soldout
soldout 02/14/08 - 10:15 am
Praise God that we don't have

Praise God that we don't have unity. Darkness and light should never be one. Why would a group that believes in life and freedom ever agree with those who celebrate sin and death in the killing of un-born babies and calling a heathen lifestyle normal. The Word says I would rather you be hot or cold but not luke warm.

We all sin but the democratic party calls it good and celebrates it. Come out of that and into the light where there is peace and joy.

LaTwon
LaTwon 02/14/08 - 10:16 am
how do you unite people when

how do you unite people when 25% pay the bills for the other 75% more or less and the ones that pay the bills are demonized
for not paying their fair share, or labeled bigots and racist for expecting responsibility from their govt and the losers that suck the blood out of them? how do you balance liberty with socialism? freedom with fascism? kinda like killing people to liberate them and protect them from evil regimes.........

getalife
getalife 02/14/08 - 10:19 am
Standtall you are right on!

Standtall you are right on! Not only big corporate funding, but entertainer endorsement and possibly money from other countries are controlling both political parties.

Mrs Genevive Bait
Mrs Genevive Bait 02/14/08 - 10:54 am
Personally, I always decide

Personally, I always decide on who to vote for by listening to movie stars. Sometimes I listen to Britney Spears so I can get a good dose of common sense. I'm becoming a heroin addict next week right after I shave my head and throw away all my underpants.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/14/08 - 11:01 am
DE2, great 6:47 am post.

DE2, great 6:47 am post.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/14/08 - 11:01 am
DE2, great 6:47 am post.

DE2, great 6:47 am post.

Dan White 02/14/08 - 11:15 am
My great fear is that John

My great fear is that John McCain, if elected President, which is highly doubtful, will morph into a Republican in name only (RINO) and we will indeed be one party. There is not a whole lot of difference in the policies of McCain,Obama, and Hillary. Kind of scary to me. This is a ripe condition for a true third party to emerge that will represent the true Reagan evangelical conservatives who are being disfranchised by the Republican Party. A one party nation is dangerous. It would be like having only a black Chevrolet in all of the car lots or as we currently have now - only one school to choose from that our kids may attend because of zoning instead of allowing freedom of choice. Or only one grocery store company to go to. Suppose we were all forced to shop at a Wal-Mart Grocery Store and they put Publix and Kroger out of business. Yuk! Give me two parties to keep checks and balances and to provide true representation for those who see things differently. And remember, there is unity in diversity. If a Dem wins, there won't be rioting and killing in the streets. The transition of power will be smooth, seamless, and peaceful. It's an American thing.

dani
dani 02/14/08 - 11:22 am
Pt is right. The writer

Pt is right. The writer talks about unity and then introduces a divisive issue. LaTwon..Amen!---
When I hear Hillary say she would garnishee wages for her "universal health care" I wonder why the Liberals aren't screaming about her taking away their freedoms, their right to choose. Obama still wants to "change the course of our country, (he always says "the United Sates of America") but no one has any idea of what his changes might bring.
----We live in a strange but wonderful world.

Mrs Genevive Bait
Mrs Genevive Bait 02/14/08 - 11:24 am
Vote for McCain -- He will

Vote for McCain -- He will never surrender! Because he can't raise his arms over his head!

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/14/08 - 11:47 am
The fact all these people

The fact all these people want to be president is a caution to me. Think what is their motivation-altruism, greed, egomania, etc. Power corrupts but the corruption precedes the power in many cases. Just think each of these people really believe thay have the answer or at least they want you to believe that. The new President , whoever, will likely not solve any of these problems-govt rarely does solve but just address issues. I guess some people insist that there is hope in Pandora's box. I think more likely it is a STD. hee, hee.

Dan White 02/14/08 - 11:57 am
Good point Bizarro. My life

Good point Bizarro. My life hasn't and doesn't change a whole lot not matter who is in power. Work, eat, throw the ball to my dogs, kiss my wife, enjoy a night out, go on vacation. It's a pretty simple and mundane life. But to me politics is like sports. Fun to watch and predict, but my armchair coaching has nothing to do with the routine of my life.

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/14/08 - 12:49 pm
Politcal parties are not

Politcal parties are not written in the Constitution nor was the idea considered a welcome or good one-the intent was a short term solution and not the evolution of political machines. Having political parties does make it easier for government to manipulate the masses. You get choice A or B-there are no other choices. Notice how we look at the Presidential electoral maps turn Red or Blue during the election. It is all about the Party-not about choices. The party gets the electoral votes in reality as the Presidential candidate represents and stands with a party. This presdential election my bet is a Democrat party President will be our president-it doesn't really matter if it is Hillary or Obama. I think the Rep party has lost a lot of leverage and even if another Ronald Reagan were to appear as their contender I still think he would stand little chance to any Dem contender. It wouldn't matter if Hillary or Obama either will defeat a Rep. The Rep screwed themselves much as the Dem have previously. I have no doubt the public will lose confidence in the Dem within four years. It must be like the weather-cyclical.

Dan White 02/14/08 - 02:05 pm
Yep, I agree Bizarro. After

Yep, I agree Bizarro. After McCain loses, maybe the Republicans can get their act together. There have been times that three strong parties ran a candidate for President. One was in the election of 1860. The Dems splintered and opened the way for the first Republican, a third party, to be elected - Lincoln. I think that is one of the strengths of America. When either party fails, there is always the possiblity that a strong, viable third party will rise from the ashes and turn to gold.

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 02/14/08 - 02:59 pm
Don't bring your so called

Don't bring your so called "God" into this debate, purvisinvestments. If he (or she) exists, why are we even this debate? Why aren't they stopping me from writing this? Hmm?

otpor
otpor 02/14/08 - 03:06 pm
A one-party nation is of

A one-party nation is of course never a good idea (hello fascist Europe), but the underlying point that the author makes here is that the divide between the parties has become so ridiculously expanded in the past eight to ten years that its beginning to take on all the seriousness of a Marx Brothers film. We've got the ultra-left and the ultra-right, both of which are completely insane. Someone needs to represent the middle ground; I think Obama can do it, given time, and if McCain is elected, the the GOP is, for the most part, going to have to finally get behind him.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 02/14/08 - 04:19 pm
If the Delta's and the

If the Delta's and the Omega's couldn't resolve their differences at Faber, what makes anyone think the Dems and Repubs can do it?

Dan White 02/14/08 - 04:25 pm
ruthven - I'm a Republican

ruthven - I'm a Republican and if the election were held today, I'd vote Democrat to send the Republicans a message that they have left me. Then maybe they will get it together. It's a protest vote. McCain has got of lot to do to convince me to vote for him. I figure that if he loses, the Republicans will analyze why the conservative, evangelical base deserted them and fix the problem. I don't see McCain as having a chance anyway.

Ozymandias
Ozymandias 02/14/08 - 05:07 pm
Unity for unity's sake is

Unity for unity's sake is never a good idea. i do agree; however when this good versus evil crock comes up it gives one pause. No one is for abortion no matter what the "pro life" side says...(hmm are these the same pro lifer that 9 out of 10 believe in the death penalty. I guess life is precious only at the beginning.) I belive Obama is probably the best hope for the country for one simple reason. He is post Vietnam, post WWII and his base is/are young adult who are tried of there grandparents fighting over the same crap but solving nothing. Giving hope to our generation to do something instead of always talking about what you want to do and that sacrifice is needed by EVERYONE. That is a great place to start.

dani
dani 02/14/08 - 05:25 pm
darth...He is not 'your' God.

darth...He is not 'your' God. He is the God of everyone. Don't you know that He has a sense of humor. It is people like you who probably makes His time worthwhile.

walshlaw
walshlaw 02/14/08 - 06:22 pm
How silly. Things have not

How silly. Things have not gotten worse lately, it's always been like that. No senators have been beaten with canes in the Capitol lately, no vice-presidential hopefuls killed in gun duels with Treasury Secretarys, etc. Look it up if you need to, all that is American political history. It probably takes up more media time, because a half-dozen news networks have 24 hours to fill, but it's just not true that politics are any more divisive than they "used to be." It's just like all those awful country songs wishing for a past that never existed, when everything was so good. Unless you weren't white and well off, in which case the "good old days" weren't so good.

LaTwon
LaTwon 02/14/08 - 08:17 pm
what was the income tax rate

what was the income tax rate when hamilton dueled burr?
what was the average welfare benefit? what was the unwed mother birth rate? what multi millionaire received govt subsidy?
what was the social security rate? what was the foreign aid obligation? how many death row prisoners were there?

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/14/08 - 09:57 pm
Apparently Darth is Godless

Apparently Darth is Godless and Souless considering his remarks about the burn victims from the Sugar plant. Or he is just a friggin idiot with the I.Q. of a frog. Ribbit!!!!

KSL
KSL 02/14/08 - 10:22 pm
Bizarro, I happen to like

Bizarro, I happen to like frogs. They do quite a lot of good. Their I.Q.is not problematic. As for pseudo frogs. that's another issue.

KSL
KSL 02/14/08 - 10:23 pm
By the way, Bizarro, happy

By the way, Bizarro, happy St. Valentine's Day.

darth_froggy
darth_froggy 02/15/08 - 03:05 pm
Nice one, Bizarro. Ohh! You

Nice one, Bizarro. Ohh! You got me! I'm actually smart and if you were smart you would know that I just enjoy pissing people off. YOur comment greatly amuses me. Especially the "ribbit" part.