Don't empower the Dems; back McCain

I am a conservative Republican. We must now recognize that other Republicans have elected John McCain as our nominee. Unfortunately, there was not another Ronald Reagan to vote for. But I will support our party's nominee -- the alternative, electing either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama would be a disaster. How can any Republican give any kind of support to one of these liberal Democrats? Republicans who do not verbally or actively support our nominee because their candidate did not win reminds me of the selfish child who takes his ball and goes home when things don't go his or her way. Selfish interests above the country's interest? This is shameful, disgusting and nauseating.

As a senator, John McCain supported legislation that I did not support. I respect and believe that he supported these things because he felt in his heart that these were best for the country. I am confident that he can, and has, learned from his mistakes. He has recognized that securing the borders is a national security and legal issue with most Americans, and this must be done before any immigration reform bill is considered.

As president, McCain will wage a war on terrorism like we have not seen. He will end pork-barrel spending and nominate conservative judges in the mold of John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito. These are issues that are more important to me than the issues that Mr. McCain and I disagree on.

To seal his election, he must pick a conservative VP. A perfect choice would be South Carolina's Mark Sanford; this would gain the confidence of conservatives as well as ensure that the South stays in the Republican column. No Republican has been elected president without the South.

McCain in 2008, Sanford in 2012 and 2016. Sounds good to me.

Elliott Mumper, Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/12/08 - 07:31 am
John McCains mother said it

John McCains mother said it best when she said that if people didn't like her son as a candidate, they'd just have to hold their nose and vote for him because he's better then the alternative. ( if he winds up the candidate)

DonH
DonH 02/12/08 - 07:49 am
The Obama, Clinton, McCain

The Obama, Clinton, McCain candidates all present the same issues in almost the same way. The only candidate that had some real differences, Mitt Romney, dropped out. I'm voting Libertatian!

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/12/08 - 08:17 am
Mark Sanford was denoted as

Mark Sanford was denoted as the worst govenor in the U.S. last year so probably not a good running mate. McCain is the Rep only hope of having a Rep elected president, but that is because he is not a real Rep-he is an independent more Dem than Rep. Probably a good strategy for the Rep party since their record has certainly sealed the fate for a Dem president.

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 02/12/08 - 09:00 am
Who said Sanford as the worst

Who said Sanford as the worst Gov? I don't see how. He is tough and is bringing some order to SC screwed up government. I think he would be a good choice., A solid fisical conservative. Don H, vote Libertatian if you want to but you might as well vote for Hillary or Obama. it's the same thing.That's how we wound up with the Clinton whorehouse for eight years.

dani
dani 02/12/08 - 09:18 am
As said by others, it is

As said by others, it is better to vote for the lesser of two evils than the greater of the two. DonH...Why would a person waste his vote by voting Libertarian? Nobody will get the message, if that is your intent. Bizarro..Where did you get the rating for Sanford. I have heard only good things about the Governor.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 02/12/08 - 11:04 am
If Clinton's 8 years was a

If Clinton's 8 years was a Whorehouse, then Bush's 7 years has been an Insane House.
We are in bad shape with Bush in office and have lost respect and prestige around the world

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 02/12/08 - 11:06 am
If Clinton's 8 years was a

grouse
grouse 02/12/08 - 11:38 am
Give me the "whorehouse" any

Give me the "whorehouse" any day over the insane house. Sex is nothing compared to invading a county, trampling the Constitution, and making us the laughing stock of the world. The letter writer puts his partisanship ahead of the country's best interests and that's what shameful, nauseating and disgusting.

jack
jack 02/12/08 - 11:57 am
Da Voice Inside Your Head,

Da Voice Inside Your Head, you re tooooooo funny! Whorehouse is exactly what the Clitons ran while in the peoples house (WH). Never has that position or icon of our government been so sullied as in those eight years. Jackson wasn't even that bad.

jack
jack 02/12/08 - 11:59 am
The writer hits the nail

The writer hits the nail square on the head. I voed for Fre Thompson ans til believe he was the only REAL conservative running. He just didn't get off his arse in time nor get his conservative message across once he did as he did not have the fire i his gut that is required to win the people in our political system.

sjgraci
sjgraci 02/12/08 - 12:02 pm
Clinton and Obama Liberal

Clinton and Obama Liberal Democrats? Please. Elliot Mumper would not know a Liberal Democrat if he were kicked in his dense conservative skull by one.

jimbob
jimbob 02/12/08 - 12:27 pm
How smug and wrong sited can

How smug and wrong sited can you be, supporting a Man like McCain! Mike Huckabee (THE ONLY TRUE REAL CONSERVITIVE IN THE REPUBLICAN RACE) will be the next President of these United States, because he will close the borders, supports the passage of House Bill 25 and Senate bill 25 the FairTax, get government money out of abortions, allow prayer in schools, and fight to the death with all age volunteers until the terrorist and their children and their childrens' children are all dead.

Former Augustan
Former Augustan 02/12/08 - 12:31 pm
Do you morons know the

Do you morons know the definition of "Liberal?" It's not a dirty word - Here are two definitions from the dictionary: 1. broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others 2. progressive politically or socially: favoring gradual reform, especially political reforms that extend democracy, distribute wealth more evenly, and protect the personal freedom of the individual. I'll vote for either Democratic candidate before wasting my vote on that Bush clone McCain. I can't for the election and a Democratic administration to more in so I can watch you people wet yourselves for 4 or 8 (or more) years. Bush has been a disaster for this country, and McCain wouldn't be any better.

Former Augustan
Former Augustan 02/12/08 - 12:33 pm
TYPOS CORRECTED: Do you

TYPOS CORRECTED: Do you morons know the definition of "Liberal?" It's not a dirty word - Here are two definitions from the dictionary: "1. broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others 2. progressive politically or socially: favoring gradual reform, especially political reforms that extend democracy, distribute wealth more evenly, and protect the personal freedom of the individual." I'll vote for either Democratic candidate before wasting my vote on that Bush clone McCain. I can't wait for the election and a Democratic administration to move in so I can watch you people wet yourselves for 4 or 8 (or more) years. Bush has been a disaster for this country, and McCain wouldn't be any better.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/12/08 - 01:46 pm
Former Augustan you have more

Former Augustan you have more wealth than i do, i hereby request you give me the difference between yours and mine, since you claim to be a liberal. Thank you for your definition of liberal, now are you ready to give up some of your wealth to bring mine to parity with yours? BTW i know the definition of liberal, but "broad-minded, tolerant of different views and standards of behaviors in others 2. progressive politically or socially; favoring gradual reform...etc.", does not match up with the Democrats I meet and read about. I voted for Huckabee, and would do it again if I have the chance. i barely even considered McCain, but I did consider Fred Thompson and Alan Keyes, too bad they didn't go the distance.

dani
dani 02/12/08 - 02:30 pm
I think the Clitons and most

I think the Clitons and most of the present day Liberals failed to use the dictionary. Perhaps 'former augustan' can send them the definition. (They are socially progressive though, they got that part down pat. I haven't seen any reform, slow or fast- just more of the same and full speed ahead.))

walk_american
walk_american 02/12/08 - 02:36 pm
"1. broad-minded: tolerant of

"1. broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others" Yea that sounds about right. So remember when some perv who just has a different view about the legal age of consent does something to your child and nothing is done....he is just a liberal. So when you can walk into Walmart and get your on the spot legalized abortion....they're just liberal. When everywhere you go you get to watch two guys doing whatever they want to each other in public....they're just liberal. When they remove "In God We Trust" from every facet of our government regardless of the fact that it was on faith that this country was built....they're just liberal. As our whole country goes down the toilet and we are all forced to learn spanish just to work or buy groceries....Don't worry...it is just because we are being run by liberals.

laking
laking 02/12/08 - 02:45 pm
Former Augustan, since you

Former Augustan, since you offered a definition of the "dirty" word "liberal", let me offer up the defintion of the other "dirty" word. Conservative - favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change. What does this mean in a modern context? To me it means the perpetuation of White Supremacy, the intolerence of any change whether good or bad to the status quo and to invoke religion as a means to justify this intolerance. I have no problem with Moderate Conservatism, but here in the South, and especially to the usual crowd of contributors that refer to themselves as Conservatives to the Chronicle they tend to be too hardlined to be taken seriously. They people are not independent thinkers. They simply follow the party line. If we left politics to people like these, There would not be ANY change to make America a better place for ALL people since we are a nation of immigrants. Amerca became stronger because of a merging of conservative and liberal thought. As I survey the political landscape there must be a balance of ideology.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/12/08 - 03:32 pm
laking i am conservative and

laking i am conservative and I am not white. The black army veteran with the purple heart is also a conservative. So you might as well throw your "modern context" definition out the window, if you think conservatives perpetuate White Supremacy. Conservatives want change, too, but your intolerance to any conservative change is evident. Oddly enough, I've had people whom i view as liberal claim they are conservatives and accuse me of being liberal, so perspective seems to be part of the confusion. I would like America a better place for ALL people, too, especially since some of my ancestors were never immigrants to this country. We were here first, before Vikings, before Europeans, before Spanish. i don't think much of self-proclaimed supremacists, whether they work under a white sheet or in a building labeled "Black Supremacist Nation" that was festering on Milledgeville Road right here in Augusta. I'm looking for balance, too.

cloyd1961
cloyd1961 02/12/08 - 04:45 pm
It is good that we are

It is good that we are sharing different pints of view but I think the point of the article (as I read it) was directed at Republicans. It described the feelings of most Republicans that the liberal Democratic position would be a disaster (in the minds of Republicans). I feel as Mr. Mumper does, if you are a Republican, you should not decide not to vote simply because your man did not win. There were many years that the Republicans chose moderates instead of conservatives because they wanted to appeal to the middle. That was their choice then, that looks like what the majority of Republicans may be doing this year. The point is, whichever candidate gets the nomination, if you are a Republican, they will share more of your values than the other side. I agree that it is immature to decide not to vote because your man did not win, why hurt the overall beliefs of your party by giving the other side support?
If you believe in what the Democrats offer, vote for them, if your core beliefs are more on the Republican side, vote for them. Just don't stay home!!

dani
dani 02/12/08 - 04:46 pm
Can you believe it. L.A.

Can you believe it. L.A. Ding did everything but use the big K . Slipping there aren't you

laking
laking 02/12/08 - 04:55 pm
Baroness, Ok. I accept your

Baroness, Ok. I accept your attempt to change the debate. First of all, You being "not white" means what? Are you a Native American? Know what? I think you are an imposter. Exactly what in my response about change indicates intolerence? What is it about my response indicate that the example of a Black Army Veterans is some sort of bais?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/12/08 - 05:01 pm
sorry, having difficulty

sorry, having difficulty understanding your response at 3;55pm laking. i'm not telling you what i mean by not white because i would like to keep some things personal on here for anonymity's sake. i am not an imposter, i am a poster. i'll forgive you your impertinence for now, since you haven't posted very often, you wouldn't know that i'm on here regularly. my fellow posters know that i am not an imposter in any way. take my post for what it is, it is hard to be precise in this format and i don't have time to clarify at the moment, another family member needs the computer.

Auntycon
Auntycon 02/12/08 - 06:55 pm
Go Barack! We need change

Go Barack! We need change not 4 more years of the same with McCain.......He is a Bushy too.

phoenixrising1
phoenixrising1 02/12/08 - 07:49 pm
Obama, yo mama, jes didn'

Obama, yo mama, jes didn' treat you right!

phoenixrising1
phoenixrising1 02/12/08 - 08:19 pm
I like "distribute wealth

I like "distribute wealth more evenly, sounds a little like Marx/Lennin to me!!!!

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/12/08 - 08:38 pm
How Long Do We Have? About

How Long Do We Have?

About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh , had this to say about the fall of the
Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:

'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.'

'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.'

'From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to a loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.'

'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years'

'During those 200 years, those nations always progress through the following sequence:

1. From bondage to spiritual faith;

2. From spiritual faith to great courage;

3. From courage to liberty;

4. From liberty to abundance;

5. From abundance to complacency;

6. From complacency to apathy;

7. From apathy to dependence ;

8. From dependence back into bondage'

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:

Number of States won by:
Gore: 19
Bush: 29

Square miles of land won by:
Gore: 580,000
Bush: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by:
Gore: 127 million
Bush: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by:
Gore: 13.2
Bush: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: 'In aggregate, the map of the territory Bush won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country.

While Gore's territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare...' Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegal and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

Rev. Kenny Stacy
Rev. Kenny Stacy 02/12/08 - 10:48 pm
An Iraqi war veteran recently

An Iraqi war veteran recently told Chelsea Clinton three people he was afraid of... OSAMA, OBAMA, and YO' MAMA....

More details in McCormick attack

The McCormick County Sheriff's Office continues to investigate the reported attack on a bicyclist over the weekend, but has yet to find much evidence, a spokesman said Tuesday.