Lakeside graduates killed in accident

Two former Lakeside High School students were killed in an accident Sunday afternoon on Interstate 16 near Metter, Ga., according to a hospital spokeswoman and family members.

Jessica Fulmer, 21, a student at Georgia Southern University, died at Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah, said Beth Lakey, a hospital spokesman.

Two other girls were involved in the 3:41 p.m. crash, which occurred between mile markers 110 and 111, said a Georgia State Patrol Statesboro Post dispatcher.

Paul Ikner, Ms. Fulmer's father, said she was 21 years old. He said she was a passenger in a car driven by Melissa Eustice, also a 2005 graduate of Lakeside. Mr. Ikner said Ms. Eustice died at the scene, but Candler County Coroner David Moore would not confirm her death Sunday night, citing notification of next of kin.

Another Georgia Southern student, Jamie Carter, whose hometown was not known, was in critical condition Sunday night at Memorial University Medical Center, Ms. Lakey said.

"They were all best friends," Mr. Ikner said in a telephone interview.

According to the Georgia State Patrol Statesboro Post, the girls were traveling eastbound on I-16 when Ms. Eustice lost control of a red 2000 Toyota Forerunner. The sport utility vehicle crossed over a median and flipped several times, ejecting all three women, authorities said.

Staff Writer Bill Norton contributed to this article.

Reach Timothy Cox at 706-823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

PTHS2
PTHS2 02/11/08 - 03:19 am
I am confused about this and

I am confused about this and would like to have the facts correct before I tell my daughter (2007 LHS grad). It says Jessica was 21 years old, and that Melissa was ALSO a 2006 LHS grad. Does anybody know what year Jessica graduated and if her age is correct?

bx102
bx102 02/11/08 - 03:26 am
Jessica was 21 and a 2005

Jessica was 21 and a 2005 grad, so was Melissa. They were members of my graduating class.

PTHS2
PTHS2 02/11/08 - 03:34 am
Thank you, bx. Hang in there,

Thank you, bx. Hang in there, prayers are with them, their families and friends.

wise ole man
wise ole man 02/11/08 - 07:43 am
My prayers go out to the

My prayers go out to the family and friends of each of these young ladies. May you feel GOD's presence in your time of sorrow.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 02/11/08 - 08:52 am
they actually graduated with

they actually graduated with me in 2005. they were the sweetest and prettiest girls at LHS. its sad for such a tragic loss. I had my first kiss at a party at melissas house in 7th grade. we all grew up together since elementary school.

JUSTME2020
JUSTME2020 02/11/08 - 09:26 am
this is such a tragedy.

this is such a tragedy. these three girls were all kappa delta sorority sisters. they were on their way back to school from atl. melisa never left metter and died there. jessica and jamie carter, who is from warner robins, were life flighted out to savannah. jessica's father was so kind to the sorority sisters who were at the hospital. he told them he had jessica for 19 years, since her daddy died in a car accident, and he was blessed to have had her. the kd's at gsu are crushed. please keep all these families in your prayers. our prayers will be with your entire community as you go through the days and weeks ahead and try to explain god's will to your young adults. god bless us all.

gaeducator
gaeducator 02/11/08 - 09:31 am
All three of the girls were

All three of the girls were very beautiful, fun and popular at Georgia Southern. It truly is a tragedy for everyone that knew them, their boyfriends, and their family members. They touched so many lives and as members of such a tight community, it seems that everyone knew them. All three girls were members of Kappa Delta Sorority. They will be sadly missed, yet always remembered. Pray for these girl's families and friends who are greatly hurting. Pray also for Jamie Carter, who still remains struggling for her life.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 02/11/08 - 09:32 am
This is terrible. I worked

This is terrible. I worked with Paul's dad many years ago and met Paul several times through the years. Paul, I'm so sorry about Jessica. Condolences to all the friends and families of these girls for their losses.

ripjones
ripjones 02/11/08 - 09:39 am
This is a tragic loss for

This is a tragic loss for these families. Please remember them all in your prayers. Parents, please remind your children to wear their seat belts -- ejections usually occur without buckled seatbelts.

1trugent
1trugent 02/11/08 - 10:08 am
Paul, went to school with

Paul, went to school with you and also played baseball with you. You were on the A's and I was on the Dodgers. Sorry to hear about the terrible tragedy involving your daughter and the other young ladies. My prayers are with you.

1trugent
1trugent 02/11/08 - 10:08 am
Paul, went to school with

llewdacag
llewdacag 02/11/08 - 10:33 am
As a father of a GSU Kappa

As a father of a GSU Kappa Delta, my heart aches over this tragedy. To the families of these three beautiful girls, you will remain in our prayers. May God walk ever so closely with y'all during this awful time. To the sisters of Kappa Delta, our prayers are with y'all as well as all GSU students touched by this event.

aliciah
aliciah 02/11/08 - 10:36 am
I taught Melissa in the fall

I taught Melissa in the fall semester here at Southern. I've known her family since she was about 3. She was a beautiful, intelligent young woman. The world is at a loss without her.
The Eustice family and the others are in my prayers.

hb2008
hb2008 02/11/08 - 10:43 am
My heart goes out to the

My heart goes out to the families and friends involved in this tragedy. You're all in my prayers. But Jamie Carter from Warner Robins Georgia is still fighting for her life in the hospital. Please pray for her.

mgdyke
mgdyke 02/11/08 - 11:18 am
Jessica was part of our

Jessica was part of our family for several years. She and my son were very close and she will be missed very much by Andy and us. She was just a beautiful, happy young lady. Her family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

amccoy3
amccoy3 02/11/08 - 11:36 am
I started at Georgia Southern

I started at Georgia Southern in 2005. Melissa, Jamie, and Jessica were in my pledge class for Kappa Delta. Melissa and Jessica were beautiful, sweet, and wonderful girls full of life and always such a joy to be around. I will miss them dearly and have been praying for their families to get through this awful time. Remember that Jamie is still fighting for her life and I know she'll make it. Please pray for her and her family.

trudybuck
trudybuck 02/11/08 - 11:41 am
My heart and prayers goes out

My heart and prayers goes out to all the families for their losses. I use to work with Ms. Eustice mother and would just like to say you are in my heart and if you need us, call us.

bg00048
bg00048 02/11/08 - 12:07 pm
Melissa and Jessica graduated

Melissa and Jessica graduated from Lakeside two years before me. From what i remember, these girls were always glowing and full of energy. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and close friends. I'm keeping Jamie in my thoughts as she goes through this tough time.

stillamazed
stillamazed 02/11/08 - 12:11 pm
Were these girls wearing

Were these girls wearing safety bealts? I know it said they were ejected from the vehicle. My heart goes out to all family and friends involved, such a tragic loss of young lives. God Bless them all.

clbodie
clbodie 02/11/08 - 12:35 pm
I miss you both so much. It

I miss you both so much. It seems like just yesterday we were all still in high school. I keep looking at pictures of my memories with you girls. You were both so beautiful inside and out and now the rest of us are at a loss without you. I can't wait to see you both again one day! I didn't know Jamie but I am praying for her because I know you both loved her!

HollySheehan
HollySheehan 02/11/08 - 12:41 pm
does anyone know when and

does anyone know when and where the funeral will be held?

rwalker1962
rwalker1962 02/11/08 - 01:34 pm
Kelly, My heart goes out to

Kelly, My heart goes out to you. You, Paul and the boys are in my thoughts and prayers. Look to your faith to get you through this tragedy.

jshep67
jshep67 02/11/08 - 05:01 pm
Toyota 4-runner. My family

Toyota 4-runner. My family had one.., very top-heavy so we got rid of it.

kjones822
kjones822 02/11/08 - 05:32 pm
i can't even begin to imagine

i can't even begin to imagine what these families are going through. May GOD be with all of you.

rbjones
rbjones 02/11/08 - 05:37 pm
I'm from Candler County where

I'm from Candler County where the accident occured and attend the Lake Primitive Baptist Church. We would like to send our deepest sympathy to the families, friends, and your community. You are in our prayers. Sincerely, Lake Primitive Baptist Church, Metter, GA

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 02/11/08 - 05:58 pm
the statesboro news website

the statesboro news website posted a really good picture of all three girls

PHendrix
PHendrix 02/11/08 - 06:05 pm
While I didn't know any of

While I didn't know any of these young ladies, my daughter attends Ga. Southern, is in a sorority and travels Hwy. 16 very often. The similarities are enough to fill me with fear and make me realize how easily this could have been my child. My prayers are with the families, friends and sorority sisters of these young ladies. May they rest in peace. And, I'll continue to pray for the survivor that she may heal and know our thoughts are with her.

bruce530boyd
bruce530boyd 02/11/08 - 07:14 pm
i personally dont know these

i personally dont know these girls......im a grad from westside in 05 and i know alot of people that knew them......the families of these young ladies are in my prayers i have lost several people that were dear to me in my life and cant even imagine how they are feeling in their time of lost.....yall are in my prayers....GOD BLESS!!

outspokenmomof4
outspokenmomof4 02/11/08 - 07:20 pm
Gil, I am so sorry for your

Gil, I am so sorry for your loss. May God Bless you and I will keep your family in our Prayers...

edst4
edst4 02/11/08 - 07:23 pm
The statesboro newspaper

The statesboro newspaper website said that a white car cut them off. More of the story is on the link. I hope they find that white car and the driver of it. Sad day for Columbia County and GSU.

Nunn gains in Senate race, poll says

ATLANTA -- The closer the election gets, the harder it is to tell who is going to win, according to a poll released today showing the races for governor and the Senate effectively tied.