Treat pets kindly, or don't have them

My senior project is how to prevent animal cruelty.

There are many animals all over the Augusta area and many other places that are being abandoned, beaten and neglected. Many of the owners become too busy or just don't care to take care of their pets -- which leads to neglect. The owners either send them to animal control, put them asleep, or just leave them on the side of the road. I am trying to prevent all of these things.

I am volunteering at the Humane Society and Westside Animal Hospital in Augusta to learn more about what they do, and how they are helping animals in every way they can. At the Humane Society, I was very surprised at how well they treat the animals. At the Humane Society, they never put the animal asleep unless it's really sick and there is no way to cure it. They give them all their shots and neuter them. They will spend hundreds of dollars on one pet, and then on adoption day it costs only about $125 to adopt each animal.

I am volunteering and trying to get people to adopt these pets on adoption days, and prevent people who treat animals badly to not have a pet. My senior project is to encourage people to act and develop ways to protect and be responsible with animals to prevent animal cruelty, abandonment and neglect.

Ginger Thurmond, Augusta

(The writer is a senior at Curtis Baptist School in Augusta.)

christian134
christian134 02/11/08 - 06:22 am
May God bless your efforts to

May God bless your efforts to help out the animals that are so cruelly treated. You will find that "people" who mistreat animals generally mistreat humans. These people need to be put in a data base for criminal activity with frequent check-ups on their activities.

everwonderwhy
everwonderwhy 02/11/08 - 08:46 am
Thank you Ginger. You sound

Thank you Ginger. You sound like a teenager with her heart in the right place. Your volunteering WILL make a difference. Keep up the good work.

jnwakor
jnwakor 02/11/08 - 10:16 am
Best of success Ginger. I

Best of success Ginger. I pray your work has a positive impact that is beyond what you imagine.
Julia (Mouko Animal Rights Society).

jnwakor
jnwakor 02/11/08 - 10:16 am
Best of success Ginger. I

Julia (Mouko Animal Rights Society).

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/11/08 - 12:48 pm
Please help me understand

Please help me understand this statement in the letter: "At the Humane Society, they never put the animal asleep unless it's really sick and there is no way to cure it." It was my understanding that the Humane Society ATTEMPTS to adopt out its animals, but after a while, when nobody adopts a healthy animal, SOMEONE has to put the animal down to make room for the newly arrived. Doesn't Ms. Thurmond need to research further as to what happens to unadopted animals before she turns in her senior project paper? Maybe the Human Society takes the animals to the Richmond County Animal Shelter, but didn't bother to tell Ms. Thurmond.

Rudy4364
Rudy4364 02/11/08 - 02:03 pm
Little Lamb maybe it is YOU

Little Lamb maybe it is YOU that needs to do more research. The Humane Society has foster homes for many of their animals and many of these big hearted volunteers end up officially adopting some of the animals they foster because they get so attached. Of course, in any program, there is always room for improvement, but I ask you Little Lamb, what have you done lately to help an animal in need?

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/11/08 - 03:49 pm
Pets are great companions,

Pets are great companions, good to work cattle and sheep, great to keep pests at bay, good for sport, and sometimes good to eat. We use to get chicks and ducks every Easter that we would raise as pets and then cook and eat. Yummy! Frogs and turtles make good pets and they are great fried or turtle soup. I understand dog is pretty tasty. Hee, hee. Wild dogs and cats should be put down as quickly as possible as they are a nuisance and health risk. It is still a free country and I would hope that if I had a preference for dog meat that I would still be able to feed my appetite and raise and kill dogs for food. Not that I would ever want to do that-just the principal!! Of course I don't believe in abuse either, but raising it for food is not abuse.

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/11/08 - 04:51 pm
Well that was an idiotic post

Well that was an idiotic post I posited, but so is the LTE. What do you distinquish as "cruelty" to animals. Some is quite obvious but I read of some who seem to go to an irrational extreme and anthropomorph their pet into a human. I always take good care of all my possessions-pets no different.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/11/08 - 05:36 pm
I want to improve things I

I want to improve things I can and endure things I can't and be wise enough to know the difference.

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/11/08 - 05:41 pm
That is a good motto patrica!

That is a good motto patrica! Some people consider a shock collar to contain a dog as cruelty to animals. Had a friend whose neighbor called him a Nazi for using one.