Man charged with killing couple, stepdaughter

Correction, February 11, 2008: An article Sunday gave an incorrect address for an Augusta man arrested Saturday in the murder of a man, his wife and their stepdaughter. Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove lives in the 3500 block of Edgeworth Drive. (Highlight changes)

An Augusta man was arrested on murder charges Saturday in the deaths of a south Augusta man, his wife and his stepdaughter, who authorities say was five months pregnant and whose body was found burned beyond recognition.

Back | Next
Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten (right) watches as a body of a teenager found off Lock and Dam Road is loaded into a hearse.  Michael Holahan/Staff
Michael Holahan/Staff

Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove, 30, of the 3500 block of Edgeworth Drive, was charged with three counts of murder after the bodies of Andrew Hartley, 45, and his wife, Sharon Hartley, 46, were found at their Bennock Mill Road home and Allyson Pederson, 18, was discovered off Lock and Dam Road near New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam Park and Augusta Regional Airport.

Mr. Hargrove's estranged wife informed Richmond County authorities that he arrived at their home with blood-soaked clothing about 11:30 a.m., Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength said.

After interviewing the wife, deputies were advised to check a home in the 700 block of Bennock Mill Road, Sheriff Strength said.

Once there, deputies discovered the bodies of Mr. and Mrs. Hartley.

Mr. Hargrove is accused of entering the home unannounced and stabbing the two early Saturday, said county Coroner Grover Tuten.

"The man and the woman were found lying face down in the front bedroom," Mr. Tuten said. "They had been dead for about an hour, and both had multiple stab wounds."

Mr. Hartley, who suffered major stab wounds, likely struggled with his attacker before he was killed, Mr. Tuten said.

After receiving a call about a fire near New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam Park, authorities discovered Ms. Pederson's burned body, Mr. Tuten said.

After spending most of Saturday afternoon searching for Mr. Hargrove, deputies found him in the woods near Richmond Hill and Bungalow roads, Sheriff Strength said.

The killings are still under investigation, but there could be more arrests to come, the sheriff said. He said a motive was undetermined Saturday.

Friends had been waiting around the Hartleys' home since about 11 a.m., family friend Linda Hobbs said.

Mrs. Hobbs' daughter had been friends with Ms. Pederson since they were students at Cross Creek High School. The Hartleys had lived on Mrs. Hobbs' street for about four years.

"She was nice and everything. She'd do anything for you," Mrs. Hobbs said of Ms. Pederson. "I never thought anything like this would happen in this neighborhood."

Mr. Hartley worked in construction and Mrs. Hartley did not work, Mrs. Hobbs said.

Ms. Pederson had been dating Mr. Hargrove, Mrs. Hobbs said. Police said they have not yet confirmed their relation.

Ms. Pederson was looking forward to her baby's birth and was about to learn the gender, Mrs. Hobbs said.

She said she and her family had a lot of questions Saturday evening.

"I just would like to know what made him snap like that," she said.

Simon Goudeau said he was in shock about the events in his neighborhood. He said he had just seen Mr. Hargrove speaking with his neighbor Saturday morning.

"It's always something on this road, from shootings to break-ins," Mr. Goudeau said. "This is something else, though. It's unbelievable. It's tragic."

Reach Stephanie Toone at (706) 823-3215 or stephanie.toone@augustachronicle.com.

duckie2214
duckie2214 02/11/08 - 04:37 pm
and to the women that was

and to the women that was harboring him..........i hope she gets death too! or atleast life! because that is just as bad as killing them! y would someone harbor a criminal unless they were 1 to!! :'(

cristy2507
cristy2507 02/11/08 - 05:57 pm
It does not matter who the

It does not matter who the father of the child was. He should have never been messing with a child in the first place. From what i hear the parents were just trying to protect their daughter from leaving the house with this evil man. Allyson we miss you and my heart and prayer go out to your family and friends, and lets just prayer justice is served.

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/12/08 - 07:05 am
J andy They were white

J andy
They were white victims
I noticed noone answered you

I see a white girl pregnant by a black man and I see parents that raised hell about it all and then I see this monster getting [filtered word] off at white man and wife and deciding that he will ...'take care of them":
I call this also a Hate Crime...what do you think...
My crystal ball shows me this....

thugskin
thugskin 02/12/08 - 10:42 am
I agree that the crime had a

I agree that the crime had a racial theme.

fineazz320907
fineazz320907 02/12/08 - 04:24 pm
to all whom are

to all whom are reading....get lives and quit trying to play lawyers...this is soppose to be comments to the family and ways for caring people to help this family...we are a very caring community..look how we all are pitching in for the burn victims from savannah...please lets all help these kids have a funeral for their parents..remember us as adults know how exspensive it is for burial...imagine how these "kids" are feeling..very overwhelmed!!!! lets show these kids what augusta really is...a very caring community who sticks together!!!!!!

dani
dani 02/12/08 - 06:06 pm
fineazz..Don't you

fineazz..Don't you understand. Wanting the killer punished is caring for the victims.

worriedboutdafuture
worriedboutdafuture 02/12/08 - 07:51 pm
Peeps lets face it, yet

Peeps lets face it, yet another cold blooded murderer will be housed, fed, and catered to on our "Dime" (taxes), sickening isn't it. The methods in which these families lives (to include an unborn!) were taken away was swift and decidedly done by this man (as the evidence and future testamony will prove)but yet the wheels of justice will roll ever so slowly! And yes you and I will bear the brunt of his legal cost (court appointed attorney's) and his, as I said before incarceration cost!! Whenever the pieces of this tragedy are finally put together and presented in a courtroom, the whole community should be in that courtroom (pack it to capacity!!) to show support for that family and send a strong message that this man should pay the ultimate price (death without extensive delay!!) for his hienous crime!

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/13/08 - 10:39 pm
Oh hell...here we go Baby

Oh hell...here we go Baby daddy crap!!
For one , speak proper English...
Does not matter what he was or who was the father...This is a racial hate crime
Wake the hell up!! LIL white girl with black guys and daddy did not like it...I don't blame him!! and hell no I am not a racist but, I don't want my white dauhgter with a black man either
OKAY, I had thr guts to say it....
Your all thinking that and you know it and are too cowerdly to say it!! Racism is alive and well here in AUGUSTA and will conintue to be...70 viciouis stab wounds in the parents, yeah I would sasy his was a HATE CRIME..Black man , sex offender [filtered word] of that white daddy tood his [filtered word] ot GO AWAY!
YES...HATE CRIME against a WHITE MAN!!!

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/13/08 - 10:45 pm
Am I the only white person to

Am I the only white person to have guts ot say this...
Are you all cowards
Where are al the GOOD OLE BOYS out here who want justice?
I have seen may CONFEDREATE FLAGS on Bennock Mill Road!!
Were you guys aleep on the job???

concern4youth
concern4youth 02/14/08 - 04:40 pm
Suzy what are you saying.

Suzy what are you saying. First I wouldn't say that it was racial, it was just this creature was angry that things didn't go his way and he tried to get back with his wife whe didn't take him back so he took out his anger on the whole family that was there. Well her boyfriend that was on the news was black and I'm sure that he visted Allyson at her home with her parents and he was respectful to them. Stop making it a black/white issue. If it was someone black and they made him that angry he would have done the samething.

sable34
sable34 02/14/08 - 05:51 pm
omg people...if u dont know

omg people...if u dont know these people dont say anything...what happend was. they never dated he just slept with her, alot! he was mad about her bein pregnant by her bf, cuz she just told him it wasnt his so he got mad. they had been arguing for a few hours and her dad tried to make him leave and thats when it happend. and yes it was mainly racial. thats what happens when these white girls sleep around, mainly with black guys....u dont see white people gettin killed this much over dumb crap.

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/15/08 - 06:22 am
Sable, thank you and as I

Sable, thank you and as I said before, drive down Bennock Mill Road, my sister lives out there, you will see CONFEDERATE FlAGS in the yards, This is a sure sign of...We are white and proud. Nothing wrong with that but, it does say something and any white people on here posting idiotic comments about this NOT being a hate crim, well, they don't have the guts to call it what it is.
Facts
70 something VICIOUC stab wounds into 2 white parents by a black man that was sleeping with their lil lily white daughter, I guess daddy objected and to stab 2 people that many times and then burn that child...What the hell do you NOT see there as HATE!!, That is all I see , a [filtered word] off black man ready to get even with the white parents.
I hate it when white people don't speak up! Cowards.
Now, had this been a black couple and a white man did it in this same scenerio...OH yeah...hate crime, you bet!!!
Simple here
Black sex offender having sex with lil white child, parents hated it all and ran his sorry butt off and he decided he would just get them honkies and HE DID!!
Burn him....and that woman right with him..
I am not racist but fact is fact! I would feel the same had they been black folk

thugskin
thugskin 02/15/08 - 12:20 pm
Well truth be told there

Well truth be told there appears to be a rash of white female murders by their other husbands. The cannibal case, the cop in Ohio and now this one. Hmmmm how many more have not be reported.

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/17/08 - 06:45 pm
TO STIR It GOSSIP You

TO STIR It GOSSIP
You ignorant ghetto trash..I have a job and I am not saying that you fool!!
I work with many older balck women and they feel as I do...they want their sons with blaxk women!!
As I said they are older and wiser like I am!! I say this once more
Racism is alive and well in the USA, not just the south!
Anyone that is brave enough to speak the truth will say.."I don't want my child with a perosn of another race"
I am just being honest
I would meet yuu any day, BTW..NOT unarmed!!
You sound so downtown Augusta!
What project is it?
You asked for this so other black members, I SAID BLACK not ghetto....members!!
Excuse me....
Ghetto tash like you deservbe this coment!!
I see you think that lil girl deserved this!!
You fool!!

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/17/08 - 06:47 pm
Excuse my spelling, I am

Excuse my spelling, I am [filtered word]!

UNEXPLAINABLE
UNEXPLAINABLE 02/18/08 - 12:32 pm
obviously in the state of

obviously in the state of mind Hargrove was in, it wouldn't had mattered if the victims had been black, I feel that he would bhad committed the same crime on them. Yes racism is still around, majority in whites, white elders. obviously the victim was involved in other black trash as "Suzy" says. But of course there's black trash and there's white trash. For you "suzy" if the family had been black, how would you view it? whatever took place that day was beyond evil, we can sit here and bad mouth her or bad mouth him and we ain't going to get no where. it's obvious that she was involved in other blacks since people are putting her business out there as for as her being pregnant by Hargrove's cousin and Pokey-that's wrong. Unfortunately all things happens for a reason, even evil events as this. To say he should be burnt to hell or hung with a noose, etc. only states that there are plenty individuals that has a evil mind such as Hargrove. As for the female that was arrested along with him, how do you know her life wasn't threatened? People are so quick to make judgement, to criticize, when they only no part of the story and half of that is problem filled with lies as well.

UNEXPLAINABLE
UNEXPLAINABLE 02/18/08 - 12:43 pm
"Suzy" You are definitely

"Suzy" You are definitely racist. And like yourself I am proud of my race...black. Yet in your comments you let it be known that you have a problem with the accuser being black and the victims being white. So would you have less to say if this had been a black on black crime, or nothing to say or better yet would you celebrate over it due to the fact that it's a few more blacks killed by their own race? He may have been black trash but it seems like you are speaking from a class of white trash. Four people were viciously murdered and no matter what his punishment will be, it's not going to bring them back. Racism is evil itself and behind it endures a lot of hatred which causes a lot of crime.

Str8t Gossip1
Str8t Gossip1 02/18/08 - 12:47 pm
Suzy your spelling shows just

Suzy your spelling shows just how trashy and uneducated you are!!!!! I live in Columbia Cty and I live well!!! Ghetto......Bennock Mill Rd right where your people live. Black and white to each his own, but racism is only in the eye of the beholder. Are you angry because one of our black didn't look at you? Unexplainable you are right if it were black on black that idiot Suzy would not have had a thing to say. What about the nutcase that just killed all those people at the college.......... white whats the comment she has for that one? Trash thats right PWT!!!!

sable34
sable34 02/18/08 - 12:56 pm
well the people at the

well the people at the college arent in our area so we dont k=need to worry to much about those crazy white people. im not totally racist but i can tell u i want nothing to do with a few of these black people around here. some of them have no idea about life and need a role model. killing people over dumb crap and all the violence in this area is what give some of u bad names. im not saying that all violence is brought on by black people cuz i know thats not true. some times im embarrased to be white. but in the area i live in i am terrified of blacks around me. and u people wonder y u cant have better lives and y u have a bad rep....if u ask me there should be no black history month, cuz ur history has gotten u nowhere...ps if we had a white history month we would be racist wouldnt we ?

UNEXPLAINABLE
UNEXPLAINABLE 02/18/08 - 01:16 pm
first of all "sable34" i for

first of all "sable34" i for one do not have a bad rep. i am very respected by whites and blacks by the way i carry myself. i'm not one those who lets other blacks' actions nor white attitude get the best of me. there are just as many white crimes as there are black crimes so get it out your head that blacks are the only ones who commit violence and do dumb crap. maybe there ahouldn't be a blcka history month, same as there shouldn't be no celebration for majority of the presidents, what did they do that was so special. as far as there being a black history month, i have grandparents and great grand parents-to me every month is black history month but i'm not racist. however when a old white man constantly stares at me or compliment me or i'm followed by hite men i do get offended because i am a light skinned individual to a black man and a black female. But all of this is crazy and really selfish om my part because none of this has anything to do with me unless we i view it as a racist crime yet still i can't bring the family back nor will my opinion be the one that serves hargrove's punishment. Opinion is an opinion and a fact is a fact.

Str8t Gossip1
Str8t Gossip1 02/18/08 - 01:21 pm
Sable there is no such thing

Sable there is no such thing as "you people". There is black and then there is white. You are right about both sides of the fence being guilty of stupidity, but there are some that take it to a whole new level. I say don't be ashamed of your race but don't think of it as superior either! If African Americans offend you by all means disassociate yourself. Not all blacks hate whites and vice versa its all in the people you choose to be around. Black history month has been around for years and some of those black people deserve the recognition they get for their accomplishments...... we all benefit from them. If you feel there should be white history month start a petition and take through the appropriate channels maybe they'll get recognition too!!!!

UNEXPLAINABLE
UNEXPLAINABLE 02/18/08 - 01:27 pm
"str8t gossip1" you couldn't

"str8t gossip1" you couldn't had said it any better...thank you

sable34
sable34 02/19/08 - 09:06 pm
well first of all i wasnt

well first of all i wasnt talking to one person in general. and if u read what i typed i said not all violence is caused by black people. go back and read it again. and i was wrong by saying "you people" i am sorry for that. and i dont think i said any race was superior to another. i just think some black people like this moron goose and other people in my area need to change something. and im not offended by all african americans, just ones that give me a reason to be. im sorry but when u go to the mall and they are yellin and all for no reason, or when u go down farrington dr and there are people dancin and fighting everywhere, that doesent say much. i do have a good bit of black friends but they dont base thier lives off of being ignorant. sorry if my typing makes no sense i have the flu and been takin meds all day

sable34
sable34 02/19/08 - 09:07 pm
if there is anything else i

if there is anything else i need to clear up lemme know

laylay0842
laylay0842 02/27/08 - 11:32 pm
i've known allyson.. since

i've known allyson.. since elementary school.. we also went to middle school together.. allyson didn't deserve this .. neither did her parent's ... i hope that they do soon.. settle this .. it would give me and my friends.. all peace.. its just unreal.. its like we are in a bad dream and can't wake up... the murder charges.. should be counted for 4... and he doesn't need just life in prison.. something else... he needs god in his life.. but yet then again,.. rip allyson.. you will be remembered and missed..

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/09/08 - 03:22 pm
Str8t gossip 1 Regarding

Str8t gossip 1 Regarding your phrase "our black men" in your 2:10pm post. What exactly do you mean by that?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/09/08 - 03:30 pm
Stra8tGossip1 I don't think

Stra8tGossip1 I don't think the Augusta Chronicle takes kindly to people posting threats on here, which is what you did in your 2:10pm post. It says "Suzy you are an idiot and I would love to meet you in an alley (and) show you what your attitude gets you!!" That is a threat.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/22/08 - 05:36 pm
If this isn't legally

If this isn't legally considered a hate crime, they need to eliminate the distinction.

mooseye
mooseye 02/15/10 - 02:12 pm
First, I don't see anything

First, I don't see anything wrong with a 30 year old of either sex having a relationship with an 18 year old (legal age) of either sex.
Second, I don't see anything wrong with a person of any race having a relationship with another person of any race.
What I do see wrong is the fact that some idiot decided that killing was the answer to a problem. I am sure the person guilty of this crime is now wishing he or she could take it all back. I read a lot of the comments on this site, and almost every time I read threw, I notice some mention of race as part of the issue. Get over it people. There are as many races in this country as there are in the world and that is not going to change no matter how bad some would want it to. All those who cry "fry the scum" must have a different set of laws that they go by. What if the guy was really trying to stop this from happening and got blood soaked in the process then felt that he would be blamed since he looked guilty? You might try and hide also. And I'm not saying that is the case, its just that most of us do not know what happened. That is for the courts to decide. If it were left up to some of the posters here we would have legal lynching's and save the cost of the judicial process. If this person is found guilty, he should get the maximum penalty, but not until.!

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...