Man charged with killing couple, stepdaughter

Correction, February 11, 2008: An article Sunday gave an incorrect address for an Augusta man arrested Saturday in the murder of a man, his wife and their stepdaughter. Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove lives in the 3500 block of Edgeworth Drive. (Highlight changes)

An Augusta man was arrested on murder charges Saturday in the deaths of a south Augusta man, his wife and his stepdaughter, who authorities say was five months pregnant and whose body was found burned beyond recognition.

Back | Next
Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten (right) watches as a body of a teenager found off Lock and Dam Road is loaded into a hearse.  Michael Holahan/Staff
Michael Holahan/Staff

Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove, 30, of the 3500 block of Edgeworth Drive, was charged with three counts of murder after the bodies of Andrew Hartley, 45, and his wife, Sharon Hartley, 46, were found at their Bennock Mill Road home and Allyson Pederson, 18, was discovered off Lock and Dam Road near New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam Park and Augusta Regional Airport.

After interviewing the wife, deputies were advised to check a home in the 700 block of Bennock Mill Road, Sheriff Strength said.

Once there, deputies discovered the bodies of Mr. and Mrs. Hartley.

Mr. Hargrove is accused of entering the home unannounced and stabbing the two early Saturday, said county Coroner Grover Tuten.

"The man and the woman were found lying face down in the front bedroom," Mr. Tuten said. "They had been dead for about an hour, and both had multiple stab wounds."

Mr. Hartley, who suffered major stab wounds, likely struggled with his attacker before he was killed, Mr. Tuten said.

After receiving a call about a fire near New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam Park, authorities discovered Ms. Pederson's burned body, Mr. Tuten said.

After spending most of Saturday afternoon searching for Mr. Hargrove, deputies found him in the woods near Richmond Hill and Bungalow roads, Sheriff Strength said.

The killings are still under investigation, but there could be more arrests to come, the sheriff said. He said a motive was undetermined Saturday.

Friends had been waiting around the Hartleys' home since about 11 a.m., family friend Linda Hobbs said.

Mrs. Hobbs' daughter had been friends with Ms. Pederson since they were students at Cross Creek High School. The Hartleys had lived on Mrs. Hobbs' street for about four years.

"She was nice and everything. She'd do anything for you," Mrs. Hobbs said of Ms. Pederson. "I never thought anything like this would happen in this neighborhood."

Mr. Hartley worked in construction and Mrs. Hartley did not work, Mrs. Hobbs said.

Ms. Pederson had been dating Mr. Hargrove, Mrs. Hobbs said. Police said they have not yet confirmed their relation.

Ms. Pederson was looking forward to her baby's birth and was about to learn the gender, Mrs. Hobbs said.

She said she and her family had a lot of questions Saturday evening.

"I just would like to know what made him snap like that," she said.

Simon Goudeau said he was in shock about the events in his neighborhood. He said he had just seen Mr. Hargrove speaking with his neighbor Saturday morning.

"It's always something on this road, from shootings to break-ins," Mr. Goudeau said. "This is something else, though. It's unbelievable. It's tragic."

Reach Stephanie Toone at (706) 823-3215 or stephanie.toone@augustachronicle.com.

nykeisha
nykeisha 02/10/08 - 01:30 pm
my heart goes out to both

my heart goes out to both sides of the family.may god bless you all.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/10/08 - 01:48 pm
invfriend Maybe your job

invfriend Maybe your job requires you to know the law and that is just fine. But your condescending attitude is not helpful to the ordinary citizens posting here. The people commenting here may be right or wrong but we are commenting because we CARE and we want to be informed about our community. Most people are not going to know the law regarding this situaton because it is something that should not have even happened therefore, it is not in our normal scope of knowledge. Besides, no matter what decision is made regarding the official charges an unborn baby has been murdered, too. No law can erase that moral fact. If you are having to deal directly with this tragedy, you must be exhausted, so I can forgive you if you came across in a tiny post as a bit testy. I would be too. If that is the case, (pun intended) God bless you and keep you safe. I hope if you have a family you are trying to keep a good balance of keeping them secure, yet not fearful yet trusting their instincts. NO ONE SHOULD THINK THAT THESE TRAGEDIES DON'T SOMEHOW AFFECT THEIR OWN LIVES. EVERY LOSS OF LIFE AFFECTS EVERYONE ELSE.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/10/08 - 01:59 pm
Waymore, thank you for the

Waymore, thank you for the additional clarification (along with invfriend) of the legal description, good to hear from you. I hope you will understand that my conscience still views this as the murder of the unborn baby (not necessarily the legal view I know), no matter what the charges end up being. I am now going to spend some time with my extended family and attend to some business regarding one of my daughters accomplishments. When tragedies like this happen I try to reach out to and pull my family closer. Our good people in law enforcement need our prayers, too, they need nerves of steel, the patience of Job, observation skills rivaling those of an eagle, the wisdom of Solomon and even deeper strengths that come from compassion for the victims with a self-disciplined eye always on justice. It is a tough, often lonely and narrow path to walk. My empathy.

sassymouth
sassymouth 02/10/08 - 02:16 pm
I agree with the fact that a

I agree with the fact that a 30 y/o man should not be dating an 18 y/o girl. As far as the murder charge, he should be charged with an additional murder due to the fact, that this child did also have a beating heart. His punishment should be exactly the way he killed his victims, but with no element of surprise, we don't need trash like this amongst our society.

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/10/08 - 02:31 pm
mykeisha How old are you

mykeisha
How old are you dear?
Maybe you were one of the innocent lil girls that this thing was after also.
be thankful it was NOT you.
To all comments that bring GOD into this
This has nothing to do with GOD, this is to do with pure eveil and a monster from hell.
May he rot there...

gagirl40
gagirl40 02/10/08 - 02:31 pm
Waymore..the punishment for

Waymore..the punishment for Feticide is life in prison... sounds like murder to me. Georgia Law states: The killing of an "unborn child" after quickening is feticide, vehicular feticide, or feticide by vessel. Ga. Code Ann. ' 16-5-80 states A person convicted of the offense of feticide shall be punished by imprisonment for life. Quickening occurs between the 18th and 24th week gestation...so it's very subjective. But I always thought that if a woman has the intention of having the child it should automatically be a homicide...no matter what month or week of gestation. And for the record...I am pro-choice.

dani
dani 02/10/08 - 03:35 pm
gagairl..a little more info

gagairl..a little more info than we needed.

Phish
Phish 02/10/08 - 03:47 pm
He should leave the

He should leave the courthouse grounds in a body bag!!!!!!

JAndy
JAndy 02/10/08 - 04:45 pm
Time to start keeping tally..

Time to start keeping tally.. We know the assailant is a black male. What are the victims black or white? Thanks.... Dan

Bumm
Bumm 02/10/08 - 04:47 pm
Time to pass laws like Texas,

Time to pass laws like Texas, put in an express lane for exucutions for crimes like this sorry excuse of skin. He is the skum of the Earth and what rights did the deceased have? Most certainly not to die the horrible deaths that happened to them. Once again this is proof that people are not safe even in their own house. I think he should be drawn and quartered. But still that wouldn't be enough punishment for this SKUM!!!

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 02/10/08 - 05:15 pm
Really, What did you expect?

Really, What did you expect?

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 02/10/08 - 05:38 pm
These married men need to

These married men need to keep their pants on and take care of things at home. Now this stupid jerk kills a family and his child. Did he think that they would all just disappear and no one would care? And then, if that isn't enough, he sets the young woman and her unborn child on fire! Is this how low humanity has stooped that men killing pregnant women is "in fashion"? Is this how sick society has become?! Stupid, stupid fool, spend the rest of your life behind bars being Bubba's girlfriend! And then he runs home to his wife like the childish fool that he is. Good for her for calling the authorities. She'll do well to be rid of the self centered idiot.

Waymore
Waymore 02/10/08 - 05:45 pm
Nykeisha, you are correct,

Nykeisha, you are correct, there are two sides to the story. But, based on what is being reported, the evidence is pretty strong that he did, in fact, commit this crime. This statement alone is pretty damning--"Mr. Hargrove's estranged wife informed Richmond County authorities that he arrived at their home with blood-soaked clothing about 11:30 a.m., Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength said." Plus, if you are innocent, and are defending yourself (self defense is a common claim, you know) why would you burn the victim? I think one story I read even made mention that he entered the home uninvited. It doesn't look real good for the suspect.

Walden
Walden 02/10/08 - 05:50 pm
"Yes, you are so correct. He

"Yes, you are so correct. He should be charged with with 4 murders. Someone I guess needs to let law enforcement know about the laws. Ya think??"

Lonesomedove, there is no doubt about the horrible nature of this crime.

My comment was in reference to the people who think they know but really dont as per the quote above. Most people certainly dont have an entire grasp of the law and that is fine. Most people dont have to have that grasp. But comments such as that one my response is. No I dont think anyone needs to tell law enforcement about the laws. Ya think??

420Time
420Time 02/10/08 - 07:16 pm
one answer-saudi justice!!!

one answer-saudi justice!!!

chaos3huff@yahoo.com
chaos3huff@yahoo.com 02/10/08 - 07:43 pm
i have heard from a family

i have heard from a family member and a friend that this guy was not her babys daddy. his cousin is. maybe thats why they are saying more arrests are possible. also these two remaining kids are going to need help burying these family members. step up augusta and do the right thing.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/10/08 - 07:54 pm
invfriend. Now that I know

invfriend. Now that I know exactly what comment you were responding to, I 'get' the reason for the tone of your response. Don't blame you one bit. Glad you were able to post a response to my comment, too. I was able to spend some time with loved ones today. It helped my outlook immensely to help someone else. There is a whole lot of madness going on all around us, so we must dig in and do the best we can for the people we know and love and hope the example spreads. It is better that actions of love spread instead of this disrespect for life, this culture of death, and objectifying of human beings, this cancer of evil thought that grows and easily becomes hate which can also be described as callous indifference, which escalates to abuse and/or murder. And for what? Every free choice to do evil becomes self destruction, even though that is not the intent. I don't know if he is guilty. I just know that four murders happened here. And somewhere investigators are hard at work trying to find out what went wrong and to document the evidence so that justice is served. I hope that the murderer or murderers will confess and face the consequences.

elizabeth61
elizabeth61 02/10/08 - 09:19 pm
The victims are white. In

The victims are white. In God's eyes, he is guilty of taking four lives!

s.spear2004
s.spear2004 02/10/08 - 10:06 pm
I know the the father of the

I know the the father of the baby, He is not Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove's cousin. The baby's father is Pokey. Yeah what of it he is black and she is white. Thats from her big brother's and the baby daddy. I wish that everyone would stop telling lies.

s.spear2004
s.spear2004 02/10/08 - 10:21 pm
It does not matter what color

It does not matter what color they were. No one deserves what happened to them. She was pregnant! And they were the victim not him or his family. The last time I checked crime had no color. And this was not a crime of passion. This is a bad crime and he deserve to be put to death for this.

sassytree
sassytree 02/10/08 - 10:39 pm
May the family rest in peace.

May the family rest in peace. Mrs. Hartley was a nice person who seemed to always try hard but always struggled. She did not deserve this and neither did the others.

full moon
full moon 02/11/08 - 05:10 am
My math may be wrong 30yr old

My math may be wrong 30yr old 18yr old 5months preg something doesn't add up where were the parents while this so call love was going on. Someone tell me why are parents not watching what there kids are getting into. This desturbs me in the greatest. I can't understand what was behind the killings but to get back to the beginning you have to be watching whats going on to stop this crap from happening in the first place. As far as he goes if he ever sees light out side of a prison again that would be a big slap to justice system. I can't see this animal ever getting out. If a dog bites you you put him to sleep and if this animal doesn't fry something really is wrong...

s.spear2004
s.spear2004 02/11/08 - 09:04 am
full moon, He was not the

full moon, He was not the father of her child. She also would have been 19 yesterday the last time I checked she was a adult. She was not dating him. He is a sex offendar. He went after little girls because he is sick in the head. Why dont you read the hole story before you make a comment.

1trugent
1trugent 02/11/08 - 09:17 am
No excuse for Goose, give him

No excuse for Goose, give him the noose!

Aristocles
Aristocles 02/11/08 - 01:15 pm
Sad but

Sad but predictable...

whiterevolution com

Bumm
Bumm 02/11/08 - 01:19 pm
Does anyone think this will

Does anyone think this will be charged as a hate crime?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/11/08 - 01:47 pm
I don't think we have hate

I don't think we have hate crimes laws here. Who can read minds anyway? I've also been told that "white people can't be considered victims of hate crimes." Another reason to dismiss the whole idea of hate crimes legislation.

brittneybaby
brittneybaby 02/11/08 - 01:53 pm
i knew allyson she was in my

i knew allyson she was in my 2nd period class at cross creek high
i think he should be charged with 4 murders since yes she was pregnant with a baby girl on the way i dont know why they said she didnt know the qender when she told everyone it was a girl well she never did anything to anybody i love and miss you allyson ! rip to you and your unborn baby girl also your mother & father also you will be missed . =(

sunshinebear4
sunshinebear4 02/11/08 - 04:25 pm
Throw the book at him and the

Throw the book at him and the woman who was harboring him....never let the both of them see day-light again

duckie2214
duckie2214 02/11/08 - 04:34 pm
Me nd my family really do

Me nd my family really do HOPE nd PRAY that he is given the death sentence! because that family was our famliy! my mom and dad grew up with Mrs. Sharon Hartley and my stepdad used to work for Mr. Hartley! and i attended school with Allyson!
so i do really hope that something is done about this! they will be GREATLY missed and LOVED by this family! and they will STILL be a great part of our once very happy famliy!! RIP and i hope things are better for them now! :'(